PDA

View Full Version : If Cannizaro is formally hired

ScottH
11-03-2016, 10:08 PM
and we don't put a SEC non-compete clause ( buyout is irrelevant since that's a reciprocal clause) in his contract, it will be the fitting conclusion to this oh so typical MSU Charlie Foxtrot.

Bonner, you sir, did your job. Be sure and send Stricklin a thank you note.

Keenum, you and your piss boy, made both MSU and yourselves look like rank amateurs. Should have used some of the nationwide AD search firm dollars to hire a PR firm. Hell, just a PR student. Or just anyone that's read PR For Dummies.

Taog Redloh
11-03-2016, 10:16 PM
You know nothing about what you speak.

Coursesuper
11-03-2016, 10:18 PM

Wow, your actually right this time.

Activated Alpha
11-03-2016, 10:20 PM

Don't say you haven't considered LSU coming back for him if he actually turns out to be this "home run" hire people make him out to be....

msstate7
11-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Don't say you haven't considered LSU coming back for him if he actually turns out to be this "home run" hire people make him out to be....

And if they do, they'll probably get him. No way he'd sign a non-compete though... I wouldn't

confucius say
11-03-2016, 10:25 PM
and we don't put a SEC non-compete clause ( buyout is irrelevant since that's a reciprocal clause) in his contract, it will be the fitting conclusion to this oh so typical MSU Charlie Foxtrot.

Keenum, you and your piss boy, made both MSU and yourselves look like rank amateurs. Should have used some of the nationwide AD search firm dollars to hire a PR firm. Hell, just a PR student. Or just anyone that's read PR For Dummies.

Why can our fans not understand that keenum NEVER said Cohen wouldn't be hired. All he said is there was a search ongoing and the decision to hire Cohen had not been made. Is there any evidence at all that keenum was lying? I'll answer-no.

Activated Alpha
11-03-2016, 10:25 PM
And if they do, they'll probably get him. No way he'd sign a non-compete though... I wouldn't

And that's why I really don't consider him to be a home run hire

SDDawg
11-03-2016, 10:26 PM

Then you don't hire his dumbass.

msstate7
11-03-2016, 10:27 PM

How common are non-competes among college coaches?

state66
11-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Candidates were still scheduled to be interviewed when Bonner announced. How is keenum supposed to give these candidates an equal opportunity with Bonner running around saying its over.

ScottH
11-03-2016, 10:30 PM

That's funny. And wrong.

But opinions are like assholes.

Everbody has one.

MarketingBully
11-03-2016, 10:37 PM

If he wins at a high level here and is in the new DNF, why the hell go to LSU?

msstate7
11-03-2016, 10:38 PM
If he wins at a high level here and is in the new DNF, why the hell go to LSU?

Home

confucius say
11-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Home

How is Lsu home to him? Serious question. Like did he grow up a Lsu fan or smn?

MarketingBully
11-03-2016, 10:41 PM
Home

Bullshit. Tulane was home not LSU. He is from New Orleans. I guess you would think Will Clark would call LSU home as well.

msstate7
11-03-2016, 10:43 PM
How is Lsu home to him? Serious question. Like did he grow up a Lsu fan or smn?

Born in mandeville. Bout an hour from Baton Rouge

Who cares though? We should never disqualify someone we think to be a good coach bc he might leave later

Tbonewannabe
11-04-2016, 07:11 AM

I don't know how common a non compete clause is but he has been an assistant coach for 2 years and now we are offering the head coach job, he might sign it. We also will pay more for a great head coach in baseball than most schools and he is about to have the best stadium in the country which will be better than most minor league parks. We are one of the big dogs in baseball even though everybody is used to being the whipping boy in football, it isn't the same.

smootness
11-04-2016, 07:21 AM
I'm not worried about him jumping to LSU. Maybe Tulane at some point, but it's funny that on one hand we get ticked when people don't consider our baseball program elite, then turn around and basically view ourselves the same way. He has a top job at 37. There's no reason to go anywhere anytime soon.

msstate7
11-04-2016, 07:25 AM
I don't know how common a non compete clause is but he has been an assistant coach for 2 years and now we are offering the head coach job, he might sign it. We also will pay more for a great head coach in baseball than most schools and he is about to have the best stadium in the country which will be better than most minor league parks. We are one of the big dogs in baseball even though everybody is used to being the whipping boy in football, it isn't the same.

We are a great job in baseball. As good as we are though, lsu is better... they just are. I hope cannizaro kills it to where this actually becomes a concern. Right now, he doesn't even have a win as a HC.

yjnkdawg
11-04-2016, 08:54 AM

Please tell us how many Coaches have this clause in their contract?

yjnkdawg
11-04-2016, 08:57 AM
How common are non-competes among college coaches?

The same as your commeni, "I wouldn't", I'm pretty sure.

yjnkdawg
11-04-2016, 09:00 AM

Then you wouldn't have to worry about hiring any potentially good or upcoming coach. Your team would be head coachless.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Why can our fans not understand that keenum NEVER said Cohen wouldn't be hired. All he said is there was a search ongoing and the decision to hire Cohen had not been made. Is there any evidence at all that keenum was lying? I'll answer-no.

Exactly. People patting Bonner on the back are morons, sorry. He jumped the gun with an educated guess, made our President look foolish during a big search by making his next few interviews feel like they had no shot (when that wasn't true), and our fans are patting this clown on the back? Screw that guy and the paper he writes for. WAKE UP MSU FANS...quit being so damn gullible. You should be ashamed for putting the guy that said we lost to Arkansas in the Sunday paper bc he was lazy, and other things, above our school's President over an educated guess that turned out correct. We used to chew Rosebowl out when he would jump the gun trying to be first on a recruit committing, even if it turned out right because he "stole the thunder" or jeopardized the commitment by reporting it too soon...well yalls boy Bonner just did the exact same thing except he jeopardized our AD search AND baseball head coach search, and you want to give him kudos?? Wake up people. Damn.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Exactly. People patting Bonner on the back are morons, sorry. He jumped the gun with an educated guess, made our President look foolish during a big search by making his next few interviews feel like they had no shot (when that wasn't true), and our fans are patting this douche on the back? F that guy and the paper he writes for. WAKE UP MSU FANS...quit being so damn gullible. You should be ashamed for putting the guy that said we lost to Arkansas in the Sunday paper bc he was a lazy ass, and other things, above our school's President over an educated guess that turned out correct. We used to chew Rosebowl's ass when he would jump the gun trying to be first on a recruit committing, even if it turned out right because he "stole the thunder" or jeopardized the commitment by reporting it too soon...well yalls boy Bonner just did the exact same damn thing except he jeopardized our AD search AND baseball head coach search, and you want to give him kudos?? Wake up people. Damn.

I agree what you said, and to add, consider this....who's to say that Bonner didn't screw up the search to the point that sitting AD's that we were truly interested in ended up pulling their name out of the hat because of Bonner writing that story? And in the end we settled to a degree with Cohen because the other candidates weren't who we really wanted. That is plausible as hell and we may never know publicly.

I, for one, am glad that Kennum called their ass out. We've been bitching about the C-L for years and have said on numerous occasions that our admin needed to "put them in their place". Well, Keenum did it. And instead of backing one of our own, we draw conclusions to which we have no clue what went on behind closed doors. And I'll say this which may piss some folks off...but one thing that OM does no matter what is stand united behind their own. We 17'n call our own out over and over and create such a stir that it ends up in the national media and makes OUR school look foolish.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2016, 09:29 AM
I agree what you said, and to add, consider this....who's to say that Bonner didn't screw up the search to the point that sitting AD's that we were truly interested in ended up pulling their name out of the hat because of Bonner writing that story? And in the end we settled to a degree with Cohen because the other candidates weren't who we really wanted. That is plausible as hell and we may never know publicly.

I, for one, am glad that Kennum called their ass out. We've been bitching about the C-L for years and have said on numerous occasions that our admin needed to "put them in their place". Well, Keenum did it. And instead of backing one of our own, we draw conclusions to which we have no clue what went on behind closed doors. And I'll say this which may piss some folks off...but one thing that OM does no matter what is stand united behind their own. We 17'n call our own out over and over and create such a stir that it ends up in the national media and makes OUR school look foolish.

Amen. Shit pisses me off. Giving Bonner benefit of the doubt? Come on, people.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lumpy Chucklelips again.

sandjunky
11-04-2016, 09:32 AM

So you're saying that MSU = republican - in that we eat our own for minor things; OM = democrat - in that they circle the wagons no matter how egregious

Hmmm

Really Clark?
11-04-2016, 09:36 AM

Exactly why it was given to Bonner to run with and why Keenum was pissed, extremely pissed. It was a misinformation campaign to force things to a certain conclusion. Like I've said before, Cohen may have been hired anyway without any of this. And I'm fine with that. The behind the scene crap hurt us in numerous ways. Hopefully the factions are brought to heel and the program can start pulling forward with everyone together again soon.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Exactly. People patting Bonner on the back are morons, sorry. He jumped the gun with an educated guess, made our President look foolish during a big search by making his next few interviews feel like they had no shot (when that wasn't true), and our fans are patting this clown on the back? Screw that guy and the paper he writes for. WAKE UP MSU FANS...quit being so damn gullible. You should be ashamed for putting the guy that said we lost to Arkansas in the Sunday paper bc he was lazy, and other things, above our school's President over an educated guess that turned out correct. We used to chew Rosebowl out when he would jump the gun trying to be first on a recruit committing, even if it turned out right because he "stole the thunder" or jeopardized the commitment by reporting it too soon...well yalls boy Bonner just did the exact same thing except he jeopardized our AD search AND baseball head coach search, and you want to give him kudos?? Wake up people. Damn.

Get em, Clint! You nailed it again! Great post, agree completely!

BorneDawg
11-04-2016, 09:55 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

Jarius
11-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Anyone who Doesn't think our president came off looking like an idiot to the entire college athletic world for calling out Bonner and then hiring who Bonner said we were going to hire is delusional. Mark Keenum doing what he did was beyond stupid and makes us look like amateurs. The only person who came off looking more ridiculous than Keenum was Sid Salter. It wasn't just a coincidence that Bonner got the hire right. He wasn't guessing and he doesn't have to wait for the president to tell him to publish an article. If the president wants to be mad at someone he needs to be mad at the people who gave Bonner the information. Everything after the Bonner article was window dressing.

smootness
11-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Anyone who Doesn't think our president came off looking like an idiot to the entire college athletic world for calling out Bonner and then hiring who Bonner said we were going to hire is delusional. Mark Keenum doing what he did was beyond stupid and makes us look like amateurs.

Nope.

And most of the college athletic world has no idea that we're even hiring a new AD.

Coldsleeve Jr.
11-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Don't know how common a non compete clause is, but regardless this would be a huge jump for his career and he'll coach at the Mecca of college baseball. Gotta leverage that somehow. Non-compete seems fair. We both take a risk and each have skin in the game.

Jarius
11-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Nope.

And most of the college athletic world has no idea that we're even hiring a new AD.

Ok, well you sound like the idiots who support the ole miss administration that lied to everyone about their investigation being over.

confucius say
11-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Anyone who Doesn't think our president came off looking like an idiot to the entire college athletic world for calling out Bonner and then hiring who Bonner said we were going to hire is delusional. Mark Keenum doing what he did was beyond stupid and makes us look like amateurs. The only person who came off looking more ridiculous than Keenum was Sid Salter. It wasn't just a coincidence that Bonner got the hire right. He wasn't guessing ad he doesn't have to wait for the president to tell him to publish an article. If the president wants to be mad at someone he needs to be mad at the people who have Bonner the information. Everything after the Bonner article was window dressing.

When did keenum call out Bonner for saying we would hire Cohen? He called out Bonner for saying the search was over before it even began.

Anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't care about details and probably struggled in math class bc, even though he got the answer right, failed to show his work.

Johnson85
11-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Nope.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand. This is only on the radar of an incredibly small number of people. Other than hard core MSU fans and people that actually follow journalism hard core (not the news, but actually keep up with the journalism world), nobody knows this is an issue. The people that read the original Clarion Ledger article and the associated dustup have already forgotten about it. There just aren't that many people that care.

smootness
11-04-2016, 10:14 AM
Ok, well you sound like the idiots who support the ole miss administration that lied to everyone about their investigation being over.

Cool. You're making an issue out of nothing.

confucius say
11-04-2016, 10:16 AM

so you are saying our administration lied about conducting a search and interviewing candidates other than Cohen?

Jarius
11-04-2016, 10:16 AM
When did keenum call out Bonner for saying we would hire Cohen? He called out Bonner for saying the search was over before it even began.

Anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't care about details and probably struggled in math class bc, even though he got the answer right, failed to show his work.

Anyone that hasn't figured out that the hiring process was over when bonner said it was over just doesn't get it. Are we asking Rosebowl to show his work? No. You know why? Because he has been right every step of the way. You know why we are making fun of people that hate Rosebowl for being "vague" and not telling everyone how he knows things? Because he has been right and doesn't have to explain being right. Bonner was right and he has been right from the get go.

Jarius
11-04-2016, 10:17 AM
so you are saying our administration lied about conducting a search and interviewing candidates other than Cohen?

I'm saying it was a dog and pony show and we have known who we were going to hire for a long time.

Johnson85
11-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Then you wouldn't have to worry about hiring any potentially good or upcoming coach. Your team would be head coachless.

No. Just no. Head coaching contracts are actually negotiated and it's not uncommon to talk about potential next steps for coaches. That's why Jim McElwain was pissed about the buyout situation when he was trying to jump to Florida. He agreed to a big buyout and supposedly some of the higherups at CSU had indicated to him that if he had a destination job offer, they would work with him, but they didn't want him jumping to another stepping stone. That's why Petrino and Louisville had an eye popping buyout (at least on the face of it; who knows whether there was a backdoor built in). There are even coaches that supposedly have contracts that specify particular schools a coach can jump to (supposedly Miles at one time had something specific regarding the Michigan job in his contract).

We absolutely would be able to get a head coach that would agree that head coach of MSU baseball is a destination job and that would agree to a non-compete with a particular school or two that would be considered a threat. And if Cannizaro wasn't willing to agree that he wouldn't jump to an SEC school, we absolutely wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) hire him. We're already punching way below our weight by going after an inexperienced assistant. No reason that we wouldn't get him on favorable terms.

confucius say
11-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Anyone that hasn't figured out that the hiring process was over when bonner said it was over just doesn't get it

Give me one scintilla of evidence that the hiring process was over when Bonner said it was over.

Yes, Everybody knew Cohen was the leading candidate. Bonner wrote two articles saying as much and not a peep from keenum was heard.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2016/09/26/-house-candidate-emerging-msu-replace-stricklin/91119410/

Nobody disputed that. It wasn't until Bonner wrote that the search was over that keenum called him out.

msstate7
11-04-2016, 10:40 AM
No. Just no. Head coaching contracts are actually negotiated and it's not uncommon to talk about potential next steps for coaches. That's why Jim McElwain was pissed about the buyout situation when he was trying to jump to Florida. He agreed to a big buyout and supposedly some of the higherups at CSU had indicated to him that if he had a destination job offer, they would work with him, but they didn't want him jumping to another stepping stone. That's why Petrino and Louisville had an eye popping buyout (at least on the face of it; who knows whether there was a backdoor built in). There are even coaches that supposedly have contracts that specify particular schools a coach can jump to (supposedly Miles at one time had something specific regarding the Michigan job in his contract).

We absolutely would be able to get a head coach that would agree that head coach of MSU baseball is a destination job and that would agree to a non-compete with a particular school or two that would be considered a threat. And if Cannizaro wasn't willing to agree that he wouldn't jump to an SEC school, we absolutely wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) hire him. We're already punching way below our weight by going after an inexperienced assistant. No reason that we wouldn't get him on favorable terms.

Buyouts and non-competes aren't the same thing though. There may be a bunch of examples, but I can't think of one for a college HC.

If we make him sign a non-compete, wouldn't we be in essence saying we aren't a destination job? If I was asked to sign that, I'd demand that in case I'm fired, I get full value of existing contract

Bama_Dawg
11-04-2016, 10:42 AM
Anyone that hasn't figured out that the hiring process was over when bonner said it was over just doesn't get it. Are we asking Rosebowl to show his work? No. You know why? Because he has been right every step of the way. You know why we are making fun of people that hate Rosebowl for being "vague" and not telling everyone how he knows things? Because he has been right and doesn't have to explain being right. Bonner was right and he has been right from the get go.

Really? Bonner said an announcement of Cohen as AD was coming within the week when he "broke" his story. That was false. So anything else you've said is invalidated.

Bonner did journalism a big injustice with his antics. That's what they were, antics. If there is a job out there that you want, and you hear that they will fill it from inside, you don't apply. If you applied and you've got an interview setup, you don't interview. If you don't apply and interview...even if they are hiring internally in the end...you don't get your name and face out there. Who's to say that Bonner's story didn't deter a potential AD for a mid-major not to get his/her name out there?

Presidents and Employers talk. If Keenum interviewed someone, they came across well, but still didn't get the job, don't you think he'd be telling others about this guy/gal? He would, and now someone may have missed out on a good AD because of Bonner. No, its not a stretch, it happens all the time, but not in this case, because of Bonner.

Bonner's an ass, and right now, anyone that sides with him is not looking at the facts.

That's my .02.

Really Clark?
11-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Buyouts and non-competes aren't the same thing though. There may be a bunch of examples, but I can't think of one for a college HC.

If we make him sign a non-compete, wouldn't we be in essence saying we aren't a destination job? If I was asked to sign that, I'd demand that in case I'm fired, I get full value of existing contract

Pretty sure Bielma has a non compete with any other SEC school. Seems like Todd Graham has one as well as he job hopped a bit before AZ St.

Jarius
11-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Good lord man we hired who he said we were going to hire. What other evidence do you want? Do you think he's just a psychic? Should we ask him for the winning lottery ticket? Do you think he risked his Job on a hunch?

Give me one scintilla of evidence that the hiring process was over when Bonner said it was over.

Yes, Everybody knew Cohen was the leading candidate. Bonner wrote two articles saying as much and not a peep from keenum was heard.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2016/09/26/-house-candidate-emerging-msu-replace-stricklin/91119410/

Nobody disputed that. It wasn't until Bonner wrote that the search was over that keenum called him out.

Johnson85
11-04-2016, 11:06 AM

They're not the same thing, but if you have a buyout specific for certain jobs, they are serving the same function. I doubt anybody has a blanket non-compete. The school probably wouldn't even want that because they might like the coach keeping the option of doing a step down or even lateral move when things aren't working out, and there would at least be a question of enforceability if there was a blanket non-compete covering all college jobs, or even just all FBS jobs.

Not really. FSU is a destination job, and it's still not out of the realm of possibility that Jimbo would come back. LSU is a destination job and I think if the press hadn't forced hsi hand, Miles might have ended up at Michigan. And if somebody like Cannizaro says, no, I'm not willing to agree to a term that takes hopping to LSU off the table, then you just say good luck getting the LSU job and you move to your next candidate.

I seriously doubt Cannizaro would care about a term foreclosing LSU as an option. His contract will be at most 4 years. What are the chances the LSU job comes up in the next four years? Is their coach close to retirement age or on the hotseat? If he comes in and does well enough that LSU would want to poach him, all he has to do is negotiate that term out in any extension he signs. It would be a dropping a huge stink bomb in the room and might sour the relationship some, but at that point, he'd have options and leverage.

was21
11-04-2016, 11:19 AM
No way he leaves State for Tulane...facilities, salary and potential are not even close

confucius say
11-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Good lord man we hired who he said we were going to hire. What other evidence do you want? Do you think he's just a psychic? Should we ask him for the winning lottery ticket? Do you think he risked his Job on a hunch?

So, to you, bc we hired Cohen that makes Bonner's statement that the search was over correct. Got ya. I just disagree.

For the final time, everybody agrees bonner was right that we were going to hire Cohen. Everybody knew that was coming. That's why nobody cared when Bonner wrote articles saying Cohen was the leading candidate.
The only thing anyone has ever taken exception with was his article stating that the search was over. That's where Bonner was wrong and that's all anybody, including keenum, has ever said he was wrong about.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2016, 11:28 AM

Wake up, dude. It wasn't brain surgery to know Cohen was a lead candidate...people on this board knew it. That being said, Bonner said it was "done", when it wasn't done. We were still interviewing though Cohen was the lead candidate. Bonner potentially hurt MSU by jumping the gun. And you're praising the guy? Good grief. You're putting the guy that has bad mouthed us multiple times in the media over our own President? Our fans like you suck. Sorry. Next time Bonner publishes that we lost a game we won, you damn well shouldn't complain.

I could start reporting today that the election is rigged so Hillary will win, Butch Jones will be fired, Brian Kelly will be fired, Tom Herman is leaving Houston...all per my "sources"....and then when a few of those things eventually happen, will you stand there and kiss my ass and give me kudos for being a "great journalist" and being "right"? Throwing very likely shit against the wall and then claiming you were right when some of those likely pieces stick, does not make one a good journalist.

msstate7
11-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Anyone have a list of who was interviewed for AD between keenum's release and yesterday?

I've learned to trust what steakonastick says about baseball and he says Cannizaro was a done deal 3 weeks ago. This leads me to believe the delay was just to save face with the CL deal

msbulldog
11-04-2016, 12:22 PM

Testify, I agree.

thf24
11-04-2016, 12:27 PM

Just stop. You are wrong here. You're insisting on missing the point.