PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on John Cohen

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 08:13 PM
I'll miss John Cohen as the baseball coach at MSU. I was the first one he shook hands with in Jackson at his press conference there! He led us to Omaha and took us further than any other coach has and last year was one of the most fun MSU baseball seasons I've ever had culminating in winning the SEC. He also won four out of the last six Governor's Cups which is nice after experiencing Ron Polk II's five year losing streak and treating the game like an exhibition.

But I will say this because I think it's probably relevant to everybody in whatever you do in life. If you really want to do something else and move on to something else, you should do it because you will be better and happier in the long run. I learned that from Ron Polk of all people because I know MSU kept begging him to come back and stay after trying to leave 2-3 times. And he did come back but the energy and enthusiasm he had just wasn't there and it was just because things were different for him at that time.

If Cohen had stayed as the baseball coach, I think there's a good chance the same thing would have happened with him too. So, I'll wish him well and hope that the next coach goes even further than he did. If we learned anything from baseball this week- if you build a good enough team you can win a championship even if you haven't done it in a long time. And Cohen leaves us in a much better situation than the one he found it in.

Hail State my friends.

bobcat91
11-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Well said, Todd. I think that John will ensure that baseball is in great hands because its his passion.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Excellent, excellent post, Todd!

Goldendawg
11-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Well said, hope he is fair but demands better returns on investment from our football program. Seems like a lifetime since we were #1 before the flameout at the end of that year and since!

basedog
11-03-2016, 08:28 PM
What a surprise post. Nice.

turkish
11-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Good point in the last paragraph. If Cohen's heart is in being an AD and we told him to piss off, I doubt he would've been a very good baseball coach for us. The guy wants to do something else. That's the hand we were dealt. Hopefully we find a way to make some lemonade.

I like Cohen. I think in a lot of ways he's the opposite of "traditional MSU," which is what we need.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Well said, Todd. I think that John will ensure that baseball is in great hands because its his passion.

Believe me, I'm more worried about the other sports.

shoeless joe
11-03-2016, 08:58 PM
I love Cohen in the dugout. He coaches the game the way it was meant to be coached. He is quirky and it does make little league all star coaching dad's heads explode but he always had an angle. He is to baseball what Mullen thinks he is to football. A better comparison IMO is to Jim harbaugh. If this really is going down I am going to be disappointed that he's not leading the baseball program any longer.

I also believe that he will do well as AD. I feel this way mainly because of the traits I've seen on the diamond. I just really hope that the baseball hire works out and we maintain and build on the current trajectory in the sport.

EngDawg
11-03-2016, 09:02 PM
The thing that worries me about Cohen is his relationship with the cigar boys. I've heard anecdotal evidence that Cohen is a jerk

shoeless joe
11-03-2016, 09:04 PM
The thing that worries me about Cohen is his relationship with the cigar boys. I've heard anecdotal evidence that Cohen is a jerk

Good

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 09:11 PM

No doubt there were some issues when he first came on board because of Polk. Cohen winning fixed some of that. Cannizzaro might be able to get everyone back on board totally. It certainly won't be like the last time we hired a baseball coach that's for sure. We might even see Polk visit some.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Todd there's a chance we get Dunn with Cannizzaro. Also some of lsu top recruits might also be interested in a little flipmas.

Activated Alpha
11-03-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see much from Cannizzaro as a home run hire. He might be a good coach, but that has yet to be seen. That doesn't really scream home-run to me, more like a double. Now Corbin or O'connor would be have been a home run hire.

Coursesuper
11-03-2016, 09:42 PM
No doubt there were some issues when he first came on board because of Polk. Cohen winning fixed some of that. Cannizzaro might be able to get everyone back on board totally. It certainly won't be like the last time we hired a baseball coach that's for sure. We might even see Polk visit some.

With Cohen as AD I very seriously doubt Polky comes back. As a matter of fact I can also name 1 alumni with a national name that won't show.

Thick
11-03-2016, 11:14 PM
Damn, that's a shame!

Thrill1
11-03-2016, 11:32 PM
Good post, Todd. I think we'll all learn more into John's thinking tomorrow when he gets to explain why he wanted the position. The timing is what has everyone up in arms, but it's done and he's the top dog now. Very curious to know when he contacted Cannizaro and why he was annointed heir over an experienced HC. I will feel much better about both positions if those questions are answered satisfactorily.

DudyDawg
11-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Good post, Todd. I think we'll all learn more into John's thinking tomorrow when he gets to explain why he wanted the position. The timing is what has everyone up in arms, but it's done and he's the top dog now. Very curious to know when he contacted Cannizaro and why he was annointed heir over an experienced HC. I will feel much better about both positions if those questions are answered satisfactorily.

I don't think its timing that has people up in arms. It's the 0 experience thing.

yjnkdawg
11-03-2016, 11:56 PM
I'll miss John Cohen as the baseball coach at MSU. I was the first one he shook hands with in Jackson at his press conference there! He led us to Omaha and took us further than any other coach has and last year was one of the most fun MSU baseball seasons I've ever had culminating in winning the SEC. He also won four out of the last six Governor's Cups which is nice after experiencing Ron Polk II's five year losing streak and treating the game like an exhibition.

But I will say this because I think it's probably relevant to everybody in whatever you do in life. If you really want to do something else and move on to something else, you should do it because you will be better and happier in the long run. I learned that from Ron Polk of all people because I know MSU kept begging him to come back and stay after trying to leave 2-3 times. And he did come back but the energy and enthusiasm he had just wasn't there and it was just because things were different for him at that time.

If Cohen had stayed as the baseball coach, I think there's a good chance the same thing would have happened with him too. So, I'll wish him well and hope that the next coach goes even further than he did. If we learned anything from baseball this week- if you build a good enough team you can win a championship even if you haven't done it in a long time. And Cohen leaves us in a much better situation than the one he found it in.

Hail State my friends.

Great Post !!!

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 11:58 PM
I don't think its timing that has people up in arms. It's the 0 experience thing.

That's my hang up too. That said, his Dad was an assistant at Tulane and Rick Jones and Manieri are both great college coaches- Manieri has produced Brian O'Connor at Virginia and Terry Rooney at Central Florida. Cannizarro also played in MLB for Joe Torre and Joe Maddon. He has been around some good coaches. I think it may be good to have a coach that has no experience in some ways because I think Cohen is still going to be a part of the baseball program at least in some ways. I'm not sure how that would go over with a guy like a Tim Corbin to be honest with you.

DudyDawg
11-04-2016, 12:06 AM
That's my hang up too. That said, his Dad was an assistant at Tulane and Rick Jones and Manieri are both great college coaches- Manieri has produced Brian O'Connor at Virginia and Terry Rooney at Central Florida. Cannizarro also played in MLB for Joe Torre and Joe Maddon. He has been around some good coaches. I think it may be good to have a coach that has no experience in some ways because I think Cohen is still going to be a part of the baseball program at least in some ways. I'm not sure how that would go over with a guy like a Tim Corbin to be honest with you.

I meant with cohen having 0 experience. But yeah, same with this guy

EngDawg
11-04-2016, 12:10 AM

Both are risky hires; they may turn out excellent, and they may not...

msbulldog
11-04-2016, 06:20 AM

Hail State my friends.

Great post Todd, Hail State, friend!

Thrill1
11-04-2016, 06:45 AM

I agree, but I was referring to the timing of Cohen's sudden departure from coaching - tying back in to Todd's op.