PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Houston We Have A Problem Edition

Coach34
09-01-2013, 09:21 AM
1. Nothing like Opening Weekend. The anticipation, the hope, the excitement. I was so pumped up I got up at 4:30 am and threw an injected pork shoulder on the grill. Smoked it for 3, wrapped it and let it cook another 3. It was so damn good Myron Mixon would have been jealous.

2. I love the new helmets. That looks so much better than that horrid M-State on the helmets. It works much better with maroon than it did on the white helmet. We should never wear a white helmet ever again.

3. We came out on the 1st series and looked like I expected us to. We threw to Perkins, ran the ball well, Tyler was on target, and Morrow got a penalty. That's exactly what I was expecting.

4. Wilson looked good making his couple of grabs, Ross did ok but had a couple of drops. These guys are talented but cant play everydown yet. They dont know wtf to do all the time apparently. Very pleased with our WR recruiting from this past Feb. I'd be ok if Morrow never played another snap- but it looks like he plays because Wilson is still learning how to play WR.

5. We couldnt have been more predictable in short yardage when we brought Dakota in the game for short yardage. By changing QB's, we are supposed to be giving the defense a headache because they have to defend something different. All we did was show them we are about as innovative as a 1980's Mississippi High School football offense.

6. We ran Perkins on 3 straight plays, getting big yardage- and he was gassed. Do we sub? Oh hayyyyle naw. We leave him in gassed, and then get him out in the pass route- Tyler stares him down the whole way, throws it, tipped ball and a pick to kill a great drive. Why not sub? That's coaching. Why throw the ball to him? That's Tyler locking on to a receiver for some reason and not looking at the other two guys that were open. It appears he threw to Perkins because that was his primary, or he has been the one open on that play in preseason practice. In no way, shape, form, or fashion did he read the coverage and throw to the open WR.

7. After the tipped ball INT, then throwing the ball behind Jameon on 3rd down to kill the next drive- Russell wasnt the same QB. Maybe it was a concussion, maybe it was lost confidence, but he wasnt the same after that.

8. Defensively, we brought the juice. We are very improved on defense. And even though we sustained a few injuries, we still played well and got after people. We played alot of guys on D. We were in position, we blitzed well and made plays. This is what we were all looking for on D. We held Ok State to their lowest output since 2010.

9. The preseason hype on Wells was spot-on. He played a helluva game until he twisted his ankle.

10. Sorry to see Hughes go down for the season. He was playing well. Tough break in the 1st game when you finally get your turn to start full-time

11. Dee Arrington woke up. Good to see him contributing and looking good.

12. The DL looked much better. We got after them and punched them in the mouth. The only thing they hurt us at all with was the zone read out of the diamond.

13. I spoke of innovation earlier, or lack of on our part. Not Ok State- they brought out the diamond formation and ran the zone read out of it. Why was this brilliant? Because it was a new wrinkle to the zone read-a lead blocker. OL double teams the DT, lead blocker leads up inside on LB, DE has to decide to tackle the TB or QB. They outnumbered us at the point of attack. ****ing brilliant Gundy. If Mullen doesnt install that this week and next to get ready for Auburn- he is an idiot. It will take people all season to figure out how to defend it. And it has some neat passes out of it- you are only limited by your imagination.

14. JRob should be getting more carries. This is getting ridiculous. Everybody sees this but Mullen. Perkins- 16 carries-50 yards. JRob- 8 carries-48 yards. How much longer do we just keep wasting him?

15. OK State showed us that even really good WR's can be stopped with a good defense when you dont have a mobile QB. Ok State hurt us when they stuck with the mobile QB. I know people love Tyler, and Tyler does some things very well at QB- but it's time for a change. Dakota is not as good of a QB as Tyler is right now- but he would perform better in our offense under Mullen than Tyler will. Our offense looks like shit with Tyler at QB against any defense with a pulse. Tyler played over 2 1/2 quarters- 1 FG attempt. Dakota played 1 quarter and change- 1 FG attempt. It's time to go back to the offense we ran in 2010, grind up yards and clock, and throw the ball less because of our inexperience at WR. We dont need to depend on this WR group to carry our offense. We need to rely on our RB's and our mobile QB. Dakota can make enough throws to keep the offense moving and do some things that Relf couldnt. We are spinning our wheels and wasting our ****ing time with what we are trying to run on offense right now. #TeamDak

FlabLoser
09-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I liked that diamond offense. It is the wishbone of the spread offense.

hacker
09-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Agree 100%. I was glad to see Arrington tearing it up. If our O gets going, watch out.

BHildreth3
09-01-2013, 09:44 AM
LOL at #3 - that made me laugh. Great post 34. I'm at a loss for words on why Perkins didn't get subbed out!? Knox sucks for not doing something there. We like running the pistol and shotgun but it's amazing that we NEVER play more than 1 runningback. We haven't since Ralph and the Gator bowl.

I hate saying this but Tyler can't read defenses quick enough.

SignalToNoise
09-01-2013, 09:44 AM
The offense still looked bad under Dak. No creativity. And at this point, Mullen had an entire off season to make adjustments and didn't (or at least none that helped)- so why would be suddenly do it now? That looked like the same shit that got our ass handed to us against the bears.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2013, 09:48 AM

I had no idea that OK State had broken out a new offense against us. That would happen against us. I agree, with Dak, Mullen should install this and break it out against Auburn. Don't want to show it against Alcorn

32 Dive
09-01-2013, 09:48 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/85/Emory_Bellard.jpg/220px-Emory_Bellard.jpg

"I'm Coach Emory Bellard, and I approve of this message."

I seen it dawg
09-01-2013, 09:50 AM
The underlined statement in 15 is the gist of the whole damn issue. Dak might not be a better QB but he is better for what our offense is supposed to be.

And I can't understand why a couple of drunks watching the game at home can scream for a sub for Perk and our coaching staff can't see it. Come on give me a break. Absolutely moronic.

Coach34
09-01-2013, 09:51 AM
If a change is made to insert Dakota at QB- Mullen will have to make changes to the offense- he would have no choice.

And this week vs Alcorn is the PERFECT time to do it before Auburn in week 3. Gives us two weeks to get ready

I seen it dawg
09-01-2013, 09:52 AM
And if Tyler has a conclusion then we have a whole week of practice and an entire game to do it.

SignalToNoise
09-01-2013, 10:01 AM
If a change is made to insert Dakota at QB- Mullen will have to make changes to the offense- he would have no choice.

And this week vs Alcorn is the PERFECT time to do it before Auburn in week 3. Gives us two weeks to get ready

Well I hope like hell he does. I was just so disappointed in what I saw with the offense yesterday that I am back to doubting our coaches.

Political Hack
09-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Do we know Hughes is out for the season?

He didn't even go to the locker room. I think it could be something as simple as a bruised Achilles. I don't think anyone has said for sure that its ruptured or torn.

CJDAWG85
09-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Two guys that I expected to see yesterday. 1. Brandon Holloway. 2. Jeremy Chapelle. Why didn't they play?

I seen it dawg
09-01-2013, 10:13 AM
I hear Hughes is done with Achilles.

Pollodawg
09-01-2013, 10:29 AM
I thought these guys had a horrible defense. I thought we could hang at least >20 on them. We barely got three. I am as disgusted as I was after La Tech 2008. If this were the end of the Mullen era in Starkville, I wouldn't shed tear anymore, tbh.

BoomBoom
09-01-2013, 10:49 AM
I said elsewhere, Mullen's stubbornness will preempt that. No changes needed says The Mule. As he will say all season. And offseason.

MarketingBully01
09-01-2013, 11:02 AM
I agree with most of those assessments but if Tyler got that initial concussion on that first helmet to helmet hit when he slid and the OSU player launched at him that would make sense. We should have taken him out then.

As far as everyone being hard on the OLine, they stacked the box. It's hard as heck for an OLine to comsistantly block an eight man front. They are a much more aggressive defense then they were last year hence the DC change. With that schedule they have, OSU will be undefeated at the end of the season. I think everyone is panicking a bit too soon. Everyone will look silly if we end up being 3-1 when we play LSU which I still think is a big possibility. Things look bad on offense right now BUT the problems are easily fixable.

I just don't get the visciousness of all of our fans. We are better then this. I have seen just incredibly shitty and viscious commentary by MSU fans on all of our boards and I think it needs to stop. It does not do anybody any good.

TrueMaroon
09-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Hughes is done. I watched the team doctor tell him something that made him start crying. He wasn't crying before then.

Mullen and Collins all came and hugged him and talked to him for an extended period of time.

DapperDawg
09-01-2013, 11:15 AM
#8 is incorrect. The worst team in the Big 12 (Kansas) gave up 20 to the Pokes last year. OSU just doesn't get up for shitty teams. They dominated us, plain and simple.

MarketingBully01
09-01-2013, 11:19 AM
It also stormed and was a monsoon that day thereby negating their offensive advantage. Nice try though.

Dawgface
09-01-2013, 11:27 AM
I said elsewhere, Mullen's stubbornness will preempt that. No changes needed says The Mule. As he will say all season. And offseason.

I'm afraid you are correct.

Jacksondevildog
09-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Exactly.

I fear that if we went with Dalk, we would run the same sets and our scheme would not change. That is concerning.

hells bells
09-01-2013, 11:37 AM
1. Nothing like Opening Weekend. The anticipation, the hope, the excitement. I was so pumped up I got up at 4:30 am and threw an injected pork shoulder on the grill. Smoked it for 3, wrapped it and let it cook another 3. It was so damn good Myron Mixon would have been jealous.

2. I love the new helmets. That looks so much better than that horrid M-State on the helmets. It works much better with maroon than it did on the white helmet. We should never wear a white helmet ever again.

3. We came out on the 1st series and looked like I expected us to. We threw to Perkins, ran the ball well, Tyler was on target, and Morrow got a penalty. That's exactly what I was expecting.

4. Wilson looked good making his couple of grabs, Ross did ok but had a couple of drops. These guys are talented but cant play everydown yet. They dont know wtf to do all the time apparently. Very pleased with our WR recruiting from this past Feb. I'd be ok if Morrow never played another snap- but it looks like he plays because Wilson is still learning how to play WR.

5. We couldnt have been more predictable in short yardage when we brought Dakota in the game for short yardage. By changing QB's, we are supposed to be giving the defense a headache because they have to defend something different. All we did was show them we are about as innovative as a 1980's Mississippi High School football offense.

6. We ran Perkins on 3 straight plays, getting big yardage- and he was gassed. Do we sub? Oh hayyyyle naw. We leave him in gassed, and then get him out in the pass route- Tyler stares him down the whole way, throws it, tipped ball and a pick to kill a great drive. Why not sub? That's coaching. Why throw the ball to him? That's Tyler locking on to a receiver for some reason and not looking at the other two guys that were open. It appears he threw to Perkins because that was his primary, or he has been the one open on that play in preseason practice. In no way, shape, form, or fashion did he read the coverage and throw to the open WR.

7. After the tipped ball INT, then throwing the ball behind Jameon on 3rd down to kill the next drive- Russell wasnt the same QB. Maybe it was a concussion, maybe it was lost confidence, but he wasnt the same after that.

8. Defensively, we brought the juice. We are very improved on defense. And even though we sustained a few injuries, we still played well and got after people. We played alot of guys on D. We were in position, we blitzed well and made plays. This is what we were all looking for on D. We held Ok State to their lowest output since 2010.

9. The preseason hype on Wells was spot-on. He played a helluva game until he twisted his ankle.

10. Sorry to see Hughes go down for the season. He was playing well. Tough break in the 1st game when you finally get your turn to start full-time

11. Dee Arrington woke up. Good to see him contributing and looking good.

12. The DL looked much better. We got after them and punched them in the mouth. The only thing they hurt us at all with was the zone read out of the diamond.

13. I spoke of innovation earlier, or lack of on our part. Not Ok State- they brought out the diamond formation and ran the zone read out of it. Why was this brilliant? Because it was a new wrinkle to the zone read-a lead blocker. OL double teams the DT, lead blocker leads up inside on LB, DE has to decide to tackle the TB or QB. They outnumbered us at the point of attack. ****ing brilliant Gundy. If Mullen doesnt install that this week and next to get ready for Auburn- he is an idiot. It will take people all season to figure out how to defend it. And it has some neat passes out of it- you are only limited by your imagination.

14. JRob should be getting more carries. This is getting ridiculous. Everybody sees this but Mullen. Perkins- 16 carries-50 yards. JRob- 8 carries-48 yards. How much longer do we just keep wasting him?

15. OK State showed us that even really good WR's can be stopped with a good defense when you dont have a mobile QB. Ok State hurt us when they stuck with the mobile QB. I know people love Tyler, and Tyler does some things very well at QB- but it's time for a change. Dakota is not as good of a QB as Tyler is right now- but he would perform better in our offense under Mullen than Tyler will. Our offense looks like shit with Tyler at QB against any defense with a pulse. Tyler played over 2 1/2 quarters- 1 FG attempt. Dakota played 1 quarter and change- 1 FG attempt. It's time to go back to the offense we ran in 2010, grind up yards and clock, and throw the ball less because of our inexperience at WR. We dont need to depend on this WR group to carry our offense. We need to rely on our RB's and our mobile QB. Dakota can make enough throws to keep the offense moving and do some things that Relf couldnt. We are spinning our wheels and wasting our ****ing time with what we are trying to run on offense right now. #TeamDak
I am a Tyler homer but there needs to be a change. Dak has the speed needed as well as a throwing arm. Offensive play calling is horrible and need immediate improvements. The coaches had all summer to prepair for this game and it was shameful. Defense is very good but cannot withstand three and outs without gassing. More JRob and please use Wilson's 6' 5" to our advantage.

Coach34
09-01-2013, 11:38 AM
#8 is incorrect. The worst team in the Big 12 (Kansas) gave up 20 to the Pokes last year. OSU just doesn't get up for shitty teams. They dominated us, plain and simple.

that game was in a monsoon

1st 10 seconds shows you all you need to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHMjwUZEScg

blacklistedbully
09-01-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree with most of those assessments but if Tyler got that initial concussion on that first helmet to helmet hit when he slid and the OSU player launched at him that would make sense. We should have taken him out then.

As far as everyone being hard on the OLine, they stacked the box. It's hard as heck for an OLine to comsistantly block an eight man front. They are a much more aggressive defense then they were last year hence the DC change. With that schedule they have, OSU will be undefeated at the end of the season. I think everyone is panicking a bit too soon. Everyone will look silly if we end up being 3-1 when we play LSU which I still think is a big possibility. Things look bad on offense right now BUT the problems are easily fixable.

I just don't get the visciousness of all of our fans. We are better then this. I have seen just incredibly shitty and viscious commentary by MSU fans on all of our boards and I think it needs to stop. It does not do anybody any good.

There were many Black Bear fans who felt the same way a LONG time about Nutt. Fans have every right to be ticked off. This looks like nothing less than the continuation of what sucked sweaty balls on offense last year. That is on our coaching staff, period! I have been a HUGE Mullen fan since day one, until I realized last year that that BS we pulled early last year was actually what the staff wanted and continued to run ALL year. We have picked up just where we left off last year on offense.

Doesn't take an Einstein to realize "insanity is doing the same thing over & over again and expecting a different result." This is Mullen's job. In your job, if you under-perform for the last 2 quarters of a business year, see it manifest in a huge drop in revenue, then continue to employ the same tactic, do you REALLY think you deserve to keep your job?

If it's Les, then it's also Dan. Dan is the boss. The buck stops with Dan. He made the right decision to correct our problems on defense, handing the reigns to someone who can do the job. But he has utterly failed us on offense. I wouldn't be so pissed if he'd at least tried something different than the failed tactics from last year. But to run that same shit out there this year, when it was clear to anyone & everyone with half-a-brain that IT DOESN'T WORK, is UNACCEPTABLE!

Dan, I love what you accomplished for us here in the first 3 years, but man, you have GOT to get your shit together and make some changes. You are the man. It's you. Ask yourself if you'd hire an "offensive guru" who produces the crap we've been producing since last year? 3 MISERABLE POINTS AGAINST ONE OF THE WEAKER DEFENSES IN A BCS CONFERENCE! 3 POINTS!!!!

That's the kind of shit that gets people fired. You really want to keep rolling that shit our week-after-week? Every time you do, you lose more of your support from the fanbase. You will NEVER have it this good again. Show us you are up to the task. DO SOMETHING!

HancockCountyDog
09-01-2013, 11:52 AM
"TeamDak"

I'm glad you are finally behind me on this Coach, I knew you were already, but good to see you finally say it.

HancockCountyDog
09-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Exactly.

I fear that if we went with Dalk, we would run the same sets and our scheme would not change. That is concerning.

Yeah, also the one group that is getting a pass is the OL, they looked terrible. If anything, they looked worse than last year which I didn't think was possible.

Yesterday was a culmination os the past two years, and Mullen trying to get away from made him successful at Utah, FL, and his first two years at MSU.

Also, where is Goat's dumbass ready to sing Tyler's praises.

Will James
09-01-2013, 11:58 AM
There were many Black Bear fans who felt the same way a LONG time about Nutt. Fans have every right to be ticked off. This looks like nothing less than the continuation of what sucked sweaty balls on offense last year. That is on our coaching staff, period! I have been a HUGE Mullen fan since day one, until I realized last year that that BS we pulled early last year was actually what the staff wanted and continued to run ALL year. We have picked up just where we left off last year on offense.

Doesn't take an Einstein to realize "insanity is doing the same thing over & over again and expecting a different result." This is Mullen's job. In your job, if you under-perform for the last 2 quarters of a business year, see it manifest in a huge drop in revenue, then continue to employ the same tactic, do you REALLY think you deserve to keep your job?

If it's Les, then it's also Dan. Dan is the boss. The buck stops with Dan. He made the right decision to correct our problems on defense, handing the reigns to someone who can do the job. But he has utterly failed us on offense. I wouldn't be so pissed if he'd at least tried something different than the failed tactics from last year. But to run that same shit out there this year, when it was clear to anyone & everyone with half-a-brain that IT DOESN'T WORK, is UNACCEPTABLE!

Dan, I love what you accomplished for us here in the first 3 years, but man, you have GOT to get your shit together and make some changes. You are the man. It's you. Ask yourself if you'd hire an "offensive guru" who produces the crap we've been producing since last year? 3 MISERABLE POINTS AGAINST ONE OF THE WEAKER DEFENSES IN A BCS CONFERENCE! 3 POINTS!!!!

That's the kind of shit that gets people fired. You really want to keep rolling that shit our week-after-week? Every time you do, you lose more of your support from the fanbase. You will NEVER have it this good again. Show us you are up to the task. DO SOMETHING!

Agreed. I've been wondering all morning if our coach doesn't care why in the hell should I? If we aren't trying to win what's the use of showing up, only to have a uneventful experience full of advertisements. That A&M game last year was the most miserable experience I've ever had at DWS.

Jacksondevildog
09-01-2013, 12:17 PM
There is a glaring difference between our baseball and football programs. Cohen will tailor his scheme now to fit his personnel. You have the feeling that Cohen will fix things and he doesn't get complacent. It pisses him off when we lose. Mullen has gotten complacent and comfortable. I didn't hear anything in his postgame interview to tell me different. I don't expect him to get on there and raise hell, but I damn sure didn't expect him to say that we played pretty well and we need to clean things up. That is unacceptable.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Dan just needs to go for it. Has to stop worrying about players making mistakes and needs to get the ball to his playmakers as quick as possible. We don't get the ball to our playmakers. Simple problem with an easy fix. It just takes a change in philosophy to accomplish.

WinningIsRelentless
09-01-2013, 12:26 PM

No changes have to be made to our current system with Dak in. Dak allows us to run the system more effectively because you have no option but to account for him in the running game and his arm is above average. If you watch Dak when he came in, he gives a hard jab step on all passes which freezes the backers and safeties and gives our receivers an advantage.

Now with that being said, Russell could work in the system but he has to be willing to run the ball 5 to 8 times a game to make teams at least think he is going to run. He doesn't have to run for large yardage totals, but just enough to open up other options.

With that said Dak is the best option for our team now and for future growth of our team.

It_Could_Happen
09-01-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't understand why you think you would have to completely change the offense for Dak. Just add some zone read and some option sets. The kid can make every throw TR can. He has a cannon.

Jacksondevildog
09-01-2013, 12:47 PM
I would like to see more 2009 offense with speed sweeps and zone reads. I think that would open us up a bit and make the offense more productive. We need to throw to Perkins out of the backfield more. It has worked a lot with him and it needs to continue, but we get away from it. Also, we need to utilize Malcolm Johnson more. He may be our best weapon at TE/WR.

DanDority
09-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Agreed. I've been wondering all morning if our coach doesn't care why in the hell should I? If we aren't trying to win what's the use of showing up, only to have a uneventful experience full of advertisements. That A&M game last year was the most miserable experience I've ever had at DWS.

No shit! I'm not to sure just yet, but right now I'm not going to the Alcorn game next week. Because of how pathetic we looked on Offense, it was totally dejecting. Especially how pathetic we were on O last year.

Coach34
09-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't understand why you think you would have to completely change the offense for Dak. Just add some zone read and some option sets. The kid can make every throw TR can. He has a cannon.

I'm not saying we would have to change the entire offense for Dak. I'm saying we could cut the passing offense and prep time down by half at practice and work on the zone read more- and plays associated with it. We need to spend more time at practice working the run game and refining it for Dakota so our offense will be more productive

missouridawg
09-01-2013, 02:12 PM

You and I weren't watching the same game. We're going to hold them to their lowest point total for the season. And we did it indoors on turf.

If you told me that OK State was going to only score 21 points during our game, I would've wagered everything I own that we would've covered that spread and I would've bet quite a bit on us to win.

What a piss poor offensive game by us. Embarrassing.

SignalToNoise
09-01-2013, 02:29 PM
"What a piss poor offensive game by us. Embarrassing."

No kidding. I don't know what the exact split of offensive responsibilities are between Mullen, Les, and whoever else, but the current system is not working and has got to change.

maroonmania
09-01-2013, 04:00 PM
No changes have to be made to our current system with Dak in. Dak allows us to run the system more effectively because you have no option but to account for him in the running game and his arm is above average. If you watch Dak when he came in, he gives a hard jab step on all passes which freezes the backers and safeties and gives our receivers an advantage.

Now with that being said, Russell could work in the system but he has to be willing to run the ball 5 to 8 times a game to make teams at least think he is going to run. He doesn't have to run for large yardage totals, but just enough to open up other options.

With that said Dak is the best option for our team now and for future growth of our team.

Well Russell ran it yesterday about 4 or 5 times and 2 of those ended up with nasty blows to the head. The first one likely affected his play the rest of his time in there and the second one knocked him out. So running Tyler carries a lot of risk to it because he doesn't know how to protect himself when he does run.

Westdawg
09-01-2013, 05:08 PM
As a coach who runs the same basic offense Meyer/Mullen ran at their three stops together and *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* first couple years here, I can say with confidence that what we saw for most games last season and yesterday's abysmal offensive product, I will tell you all that it is NOT in any shape, form or fashion the offense Mullen started here with.
You look at Koenning's past and Mullen's past experience, and you can tell pretty quick where this woeful offense comes from - Les Koenning. I really had hoped Mullen would have done some soul searching and taken back the reins, but I believe one of a couple things:
- Mullen never liked that offense with Meyer a d what we see is his true desire for an offense
- Les is there because someone above Mullen has told him he is to stay on the offense
- Mullen was never the offensive genius we thought he was, a d was merely a pawn that Meyer controlled to run specifically what he wanted on offense.

.....because there is no explanation for what we all saw on Saturday. After the second half of a season we had last year and bowl, AND to start off in a national setting with such a terrible offensive performance makes no sense

WinningIsRelentless
09-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Well Russell ran it yesterday about 4 or 5 times and 2 of those ended up with nasty blows to the head. The first one likely affected his play the rest of his time in there and the second one knocked him out. So running Tyler carries a lot of risk to it because he doesn't know how to protect himself when he does run.

Running anyone carries a lot of risk. Relf got his bell rung a few times every year if you remember. Tyler only ran it once on a design run and picked up 15 yards on it. The other runs were scrambles and it was his own damn fault on the first hit to the head and the second one was just regular football play that could happen to anyone.

What I'm saying is if Russell continues to be the quarterback we need him to run the freaking offense as designed. The majority of the runs with Perkins are read option calls that Russell just hands off no matter what.

Tbonewannabe
09-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Anyone think when Hudspeth left the offense took a downturn.

War Machine Dawg
09-01-2013, 06:17 PM

The Legend of Hud continues to grow. Hud didn't call plays.

Our offense took it's downward turn when Mullen handed play calling to Koenning. And it's being compounded by trying to use TR while only minimally tweaking the offense. For us to be successful on O, we have 2 choices: Stick with TR, but throw more. I'm talking 50 times a game. Go to Dak, be physical, use the mobile QB and system Mullen is comfortable with using. To me, it's an obviously simple choice. #TeamDak

msu4ever
09-01-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm not saying we would have to change the entire offense for Dak. I'm saying we could cut the passing offense and prep time down by half at practice and work on the zone read more- and plays associated with it. We need to spend more time at practice working the run game and refining it for Dakota so our offense will be more productive

I get all the talk about changing QBs, but what will it actually take for *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* to actually do it? I was told today no way he does it. He's loyal to the seniors.

msstate7
09-01-2013, 10:03 PM
I get all the talk about changing QBs, but what will it actually take for *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* to actually do it? I was told today no way he does it. He's loyal to the seniors.

Chris Relf disagrees

Coach34
09-01-2013, 10:03 PM

I fear this as well.

It may take Mullen getting his ass beat a couple more times and the offense looking like shit- but there will come a day that Ray Charles will call him up and tell him even he can see how obvious it is that a change needs to be made.

Bent Bulldawg
09-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Our play-calling Saturday could not have been more predictable. The first time they put Dak in, I actually said aloud, "Everyone knows Dak is the running QB. I hope they don't... Nevermind." Perkins is a beast. He may not be an Anthony Dixon or a Vick Ballard, but right now, he's the man! If, however, you hand off to Perkins EVERY PLAY, sooner or later, the defense is bound to catch on. JRob is WAY underutilized. (For that matter, so is Milton.) Question: is there a rule against putting Perkins and JRob on the field at the same time so maybe the defense doesn't automatically know before the snap who's getting the handoff?

I've been a huge Dan Mullen fan since he arrived in Starkville. I think he made the right decision with the defensive coordinator change, but should have made a change in both defensive AND offensive coordinators. To me at least, it is obvious that the fall-off occurred when Dan handed over play calling to Koenning. I'd love to see someone, almost anyone, else calling the plays before this season is over. If Les Koenning is still there this time next year, I don't believe I'll be such a big supporter of Coach Mullen any longer.

I also kinda agree that while he may not necessarily be a better QB than Russell, Dak would most likely be our best option in a Dan Mullen offense.

msu4ever
09-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Our play-calling Saturday could not have been more predictable. The first time they put Dak in, I actually said aloud, "Everyone knows Dak is the running QB. I hope they don't... Nevermind." Perkins is a beast. He may not be an Anthony Dixon or a Vick Ballard, but right now, he's the man! If, however, you hand off to Perkins EVERY PLAY, sooner or later, the defense is bound to catch on. JRob is WAY underutilized. (For that matter, so is Milton.) Question: is there a rule against putting Perkins and JRob on the field at the same time so maybe the defense doesn't automatically know before the snap who's getting the handoff?

I've been a huge Dan Mullen fan since he arrived in Starkville. I think he made the right decision with the defensive coordinator change, but should have made a change in both defensive AND offensive coordinators. To me at least, it is obvious that the fall-off occurred when Dan handed over play calling to Koenning. I'd love to see someone, almost anyone, else calling the plays before this season is over. If Les Koenning is still there this time next year, I don't believe I'll be such a big supporter of Coach Mullen any longer.

I also kinda agree that while he may not necessarily be a better QB than Russell, Dak would most likely be our best option in a Dan Mullen offense.

Serious questions.......doesn't matter what "we" think...or think we see. What will influence change? I argue....more of what we saw yesterday. What can those way smarter than me type that'll help us understand?

PendingTransaction
09-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Mullen runs the damn offense! That's why he keeps Les around. Les does what he tells him without debate. No OC with serious career aspirations would work under those constraints. If Les was really in charge of the offense, don't you think he would be fired? Mullen can't fire the offensive enemy because the enemy is he.

Todd4State
09-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Chris Relf disagrees

Relf would have played if he were healthy. In fact, he started the Egg Bowl and the Music City Bowl. Granted, Tyler was hurt for the Music City Bowl.

Johnson85
09-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Things look bad on offense right now BUT the problems are easily fixable.

The problems on offense were obvious last year and a competent head coach would have made changes. Either change who was calling plays or work on installing some new plays. Instead, our coaches apparently spent all off season continuing to "perfect" the shitastic playcalling that was present last year.

Now everybody is pissed because it's clear we're stuck with the shit offense. If Dan was going to fix the offense, he would have done it in the off season. I'm honestly shocked. I thought Dan was smart and never would have bet anything he knew it would not be acceptable to roll out the same playcalling as last yaer.

Todd4State
09-01-2013, 11:39 PM

More than likely it's a coincidence. I'm not even sure if Hud was still with us for the Gator Bowl?

I'm not sure what the hell has happened since then. But to me, as much as Tyler may not fit Dan's offense, the 500 pound gorilla in the room is the play calling Relf's senior year which wasn't very good either.

The truth is it's probably a combination of things that at least one person has pointed out at some point in time. Maybe Dan isn't comfortable with a QB like Tyler, but saying Dak looked better is also very subjective especially when you look at the numbers and the fact that Dak didn't really do all that great a job running the football himself. I think our recruiting has hurt us along the o-line- tackle in particular and at WR, and I know that this will sound crazy- but fullback as well. Throw in some playing Perkins as the main running back over Robinson- and you get 3 points out of all of that.