PDA

View Full Version : Could be a Cohen to AD announcement at any time

lamont
11-03-2016, 01:34 PM
In the next 24 hours

SDDawg
11-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Can't wait to see how people respond when they see he's keeping the baseball job too.

Thick
11-03-2016, 01:43 PM
I'm being told new baseball coach too.

Steakonastick
11-03-2016, 01:52 PM
It will be cannizaro.

Cary Hudson's little bro
11-03-2016, 01:54 PM
I love it. An AD that wants State to win as a priority above marketing.

SDDawg
11-03-2016, 01:55 PM
It will be cannizaro.

Interesting. I'd rather have Cohen making y'all mad doing both jobs though.

Cary Hudson's little bro
11-03-2016, 01:55 PM
It will be cannizaro.

Don't love that actually but maybe with Cohen still around the young guy won't make a lot of rookie mistakes. Cannizaro with Gary Henderson as pitching coach? weird dynamic...

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-03-2016, 01:56 PM
It will be cannizaro.

I'm ok with it...didn't you mention this a week or so ago?

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2016, 02:03 PM
It will be cannizaro.

I love it! Canny will be awesome.

Great personality and guy.

Canny played in the big leagues for the Yankees, was a successful scout for the Yankees (which you should LOVE for recruiting and evaluation purposes), and he's proven himself as a relentless recruiter at the college level.

Plainly, I realize it isn't sexy, but we are talking about an elite hire here and you guys simply don't know it yet.

Saltydog
11-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Sounds like a downgrade in both the AD and baseball HC positions.

Dawgbite
11-03-2016, 02:05 PM
But, But, But its not Tuesday?????

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2016, 02:07 PM

Just trust me here. You'll love it.

Dawgbite
11-03-2016, 02:08 PM
I really don't know nor do I care. Get me to a bowl 4 out of 5 years and to Omaha 1 out of every 4 years and they can announce Bully as the new AD.

Political Hack
11-03-2016, 02:08 PM
I love it! Canny will be awesome.

Great personality and guy.

Canny played in the big leagues for the Yankees, was a successful scout for the Yankees (which you should LOVE for recruiting and evaluation purposes), and he's proven himself as a relentless recruiter at the college level.

Plainly, I realize it isn't sexy, but we are talking about an elite hire here and you guys simply don't know it yet.

"Unproven" does not = "elite hire."

It may be a grand slam in time but there's no way to judge that immediately. We have a hell of a squad and have no time to BS around with growing pains. He'd better be ready to step in and be the damn man. Players love him, which is great. He's apparently a hell of a hitting coach and knows talent. I think he'll be lights out recruiting. But managing a baseball team has about a million other moving parts too. We have a lot of options and this one would be a risk IMO, but it might be a risk worth taking. Be fun if we get to watch it unfold.

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2016, 02:10 PM

It may be a grand slam in time but there's no way to judge that immediately. We have a hell of a squad and have no time to BS around with growing pains. He'd better be ready to step in and be the damn man. Players love him, which is great. He's apparently a hell of a hitting coach and knows talent. I think he'll be lights out recruiting. But managing a baseball team has about a million other moving parts too. We have a lot of options and this one would be a risk IMO, but it might be a risk worth taking. Be fun if we get to watch it unfold.

Completely fair points.

Dawgface
11-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Agree. Not surprised tho.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-03-2016, 02:19 PM

Good points, but having Henderson on staff and Cohen close by have to alleviate some of that concern. He's got two great teachers to continue to grow as a coach.

jumbo
11-03-2016, 02:25 PM
But managing a baseball team has about a million other moving parts too. We have a lot of options and this one would be a risk IMO, but it might be a risk worth taking. Be fun if we get to watch it unfold.

And having Henderson on the staff and Cohen around will help tremendously.

TrueMaroon
11-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Cannizaro may be great, but he only has been coaching since 2014. That is very troublesome. You're going to give a guy with 2 season of baseball coaching under his belt one of the 3 most engaged college baseball programs? Huge risk. Butch Thompson would make more sense to me. I have zero knowledge about Cannizaro but he'd have to be DYNAMIC to have already impressed enough to go straight to a big time SEC HC.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-03-2016, 02:28 PM
So an AD with zero AD experience and a HC with zero HC experience. HAIL STATE

Cooterpoot
11-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Just trust me here. You'll love it.

We get a inexperienced coach whose Alma Mater passed him over for their head coaching job and got an AD that has no experience beyond shaking hands and being Stricklins lap dog.

Saltydog
11-03-2016, 02:37 PM
but I can't get excited over any of these moves.

civildawg
11-03-2016, 02:44 PM

This. We could screw up a damn wet dream. Terrible

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-03-2016, 02:51 PM
... but we are talking about an elite hire here and you guys simply don't know it yet.

A first time head coaching gig is not an elite hire at all. It is an experiment. Not saying it won't work out but it is not an elite hire.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-03-2016, 02:52 PM
At least we know our baseball program has fallen behind Tulane's now.

gtowndawg
11-03-2016, 02:58 PM
I like it. Just a gut feeling.

Political Hack
11-03-2016, 03:03 PM

Harsh, but completely fair. From the outside looking in, it looks like amateur hour in StarkSville. I could live with Cohen as AD because he will prioritize winning first and foremost, but there are experienced and/or more seasoned athletic administrators that also want to win.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Shit like this is why most people in the media think we are a joke. Sorry I know people don't want to hear that but it's the truth.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:08 PM

I knew that this is what would happen when people in the know were floating Tim Corbin "or Andy Cannizarro assistant who Cohen thinks is really good." Try to get everyone's hopes up and then try to damage control once the truth is revealed.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Harsh, but completely fair. From the outside looking in, it looks like amateur hour in StarkSville. I could live with Cohen as AD because he will prioritize winning first and foremost, but there are experienced and/or more seasoned athletic administrators that also want to win.

Madison Central runs their athletic programs better than MSU. So yeah- it looks like amateur hour.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Hopefully the Cannzarro rumor is false. I can deal with Cohen at AD.

Cooterpoot
11-03-2016, 03:14 PM
The more I think about this situation the more something isn't adding up. Why deny Cohen is AD, then go all 007 secret with shit and hire Cannazarro? To me, it just doesn't make a lot sense.
Would Cohen want his first big move as AD to be hiring some nobody to run HIS program? I just don't see it.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Hopefully the Cannzarro rumor is false. I can deal with Cohen at AD.

Corbin isn't going to come here to get potentially micromanaged by Cohen. We almost have to hire an assistant coach in case Cohen really sucks as an AD so he could slide back in as the head baseball coach.

11-03-2016, 03:17 PM
The more I think about this situation the more something isn't adding up. Why deny Cohen is AD, then go all 007 secret with shit and hire Cannazarro? To me, it just doesn't make a lot sense.
Would Cohen want his first big move as AD to be hiring some nobody to run HIS program? I just don't see it.

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49812-Coup-D-etat-is-in-progress-regarding-AD-Could-get-REAL-UGLY-real-quick

Maroons
11-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Shit like this is why most people in the media think we are a joke. Sorry I know people don't want to hear that but it's the truth.

This comment is a joke.

Thick
11-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Our current HF coach had no head coaching experience, and look what he has accomplished. He still can't recruit, and still miss manages games and play calling. We have been to the CWS 9 times, and the best we have done is runner-up. The guy that lead us to our best finish is likely the guy who will be our new AD. Do you guys really think he would turn over the program to someone who will not take pride and work his ass off for this program? Henderson will be his assistant which should be helpful to the young skipper. I guess Cohen could get back into the good graces with Polk, and hire Raffo? It could be worse, but do we really know who the HC will be?

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Our current HF coach had no head coaching experience, and look what he has accomplished. He still can't recruit, and still miss manages games and play calling. We have been to the CWS 9 times, and the best we have done is runner-up. The guy that lead us to our best finish is likely the guy who will be our new AD. Do you guys really think he would turn over the program to someone who will not take pride and work his ass off for this program? Henderson will be his assistant which should be helpful to the young skipper. I guess Cohen could get back into the good graces with Polk, and hire Raffo? It could be worse, but do we really know who the HC will be?

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209599909

Here is his bio for those that wish to review.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:21 PM
This comment is a joke.

Which GOB are you?

Backspin
11-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Cohen as AD is a smart move. He is very smart/outside the box thinker and will hold all coaches accountable for winning. He also won't mind stepping on toes that need to be stepped on to get the right things done much like Byrne did. That had to happen to get us out of the 1970s we were stuck in.

As for Cannizaro, he's a great recruiter and hitting guy with one year of assistant coaching experience. Hard to believe this Top 10/15 national program is going to be put in the hands of someone with one year of assistant coaching experience no matter how promising his future looks. In several years he'd be ready but now...not sure...it's definitely a gamble. Personally, I believe there would be a LOT of interest in this program from some top sitting head coaches around the country even though it's November.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Cohen as AD is a smart move. He is very smart/outside the box thinker and will hold all coaches accountable for winning. He also won't mind stepping on toes that need to be stepped on to get the right things done much like Byrne did. That had to happen to get us out of the 1970s we were stuck in.

As for Cannizaro, he's a great recruiter and hitting guy with one year of assistant coaching experience. Hard to believe this Top 10/15 national program is going to be put in the hands of someone with one year of assistant coaching experience no matter how promising his future looks. In several years he'd be ready but now...not sure...it's definitely a gamble. Personally, I believe there would be a LOT of interest in this program from some top sitting head coaches around the country even though it's November.

I bet there are some experienced AD's that would like our job too.

msstatelp1
11-03-2016, 03:31 PM

HOW DARE YOU TRY TO USE LOGIC ON THIS SUBJECT!!!!****

You know most of these people are gonna go off the deep end before any announcement is made. I'm wondering how many doublewides are gonna burn if this is true.

Coursesuper
11-03-2016, 03:31 PM
All this proves is that things the status quo in the AD will remain the same. We are inbred so badly we can't get out of our own way, there was a chance to do it right but interior politics seems to have raised its ugly head once again.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:36 PM
All this proves is that things the status quo in the AD will remain the same. We are inbred so badly we can't get out of our own way, there was a chance to do it right but interior politics seems to have raised its ugly head once again.

Exactly. We have people that lack vision and are only concerned about themselves over winning and what is best for MSU. And then they wonder why we never won or they make excuses about our history without doing anything to fix it.

Really Clark?
11-03-2016, 03:39 PM
HOW DARE YOU TRY TO USE LOGIC ON THIS SUBJECT!!!!****

You know most of these people are gonna go off the deep end before any announcement is made. I'm wondering how many doublewides are gonna burn if this is true.

Honestly it's not so much about Cohen as AD with many (although I'm leery it will work). The problem that many of us have, has to do with the behind the scenes power plays, misinformation, lies from certain sections, false reporting to generate support and an agenda driven push that many do not feel is about what's best for the university and is being made by some who have no business trying to force a descision. It's for their benefit as much as they "think" they are helping they are also helping themselves.

Pipedream
11-03-2016, 03:44 PM
The whole thing top to bottom has been atrociously mismanaged. We should've extended Stricklin long before this and gotten more money for him, but instead we all thought "he'd never leave us, we're family" and that clearly wasn't the case. Even then, he still probably would've taken the UF job. Now we have a chance to hire just about any G5 AD in the country that we so choose or any P5 Associate AD that we'd like and we are going to settle for a guy who knows absolutely nothing about athletic administration at this kind of budgetary level. On top of that, we are replacing arguably a top 5 college baseball coach in the country with an assistant. Reeks of incompetence. That's not to mention the PR mangling Keenum and Salter did with crapping on Bonners story and crying because he broke news they apparently didn't want out yet just to show some sort of a search that clearly never happened. I was really pissed Scott left, but after seeing the amateur hour that our higher ups have exhibited the last 6 weeks, it's hard to blame him for going somewhere that knows what the hell they're doing.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Honestly it's not so much about Cohen as AD with many (although I'm leery it will work). The problem that many of us have, has to do with the behind the scenes power plays, misinformation, lies from certain sections, false reporting to generate support and an agenda driven push that many do not feel is about what's best for the university and is being made by some who have no business trying to force a descision. It's for their benefit as much as they "think" they are helping they are also helping themselves.

This too. You nailed it.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 03:47 PM
The whole thing top to bottom has been atrociously mismanaged. We should've extended Stricklin long before this and gotten more money for him, but instead we all thought "he'd never leave us, we're family" and that clearly wasn't the case. Even then, he still probably would've taken the UF job. Now we have a chance to hire just about any G5 AD in the country that we so choose or any P5 Associate AD that we'd like and we are going to settle for a guy who knows absolutely nothing about athletic administration at this kind of budgetary level. On top of that, we are replacing arguably a top 5 college baseball coach in the country with an assistant. Reeks of incompetence. That's not to mention the PR mangling Keenum and Salter did with crapping on Bonners story and crying because he broke news they apparently didn't want out yet just to show some sort of a search that clearly never happened. I was really pissed Scott left, but after seeing the amateur hour that our higher ups have exhibited the last 6 weeks, it's hard to blame him for going somewhere that knows what the hell they're doing.

And someone else that gets it.

civildawg
11-03-2016, 03:49 PM
I just dont understand why you make such a public and damning statement about leaked news and then come out and hire the guy that the story was about. It just doesnt make any sense to me at all.

AROB44
11-03-2016, 03:50 PM
I really don't know nor do I care. Get me to a bowl 4 out of 5 years and to Omaha 1 out of every 4 years and they can announce Bully as the new AD.

+1

Outside Dawg
11-03-2016, 03:52 PM
I just dont understand why you make such a public and damning statement about leaked news and then come out and hire the guy that the story was about. It just doesnt make any sense to me at all.

+1

bulldogcountry1
11-03-2016, 04:00 PM
We already have an assistant with SEC HC experience, and we are going to ask him to work under a guy with no HC experience? Great idea!

I don't want to give it to Henderson. I'm just pointing out how ridiculous this sounds.

Bothrops
11-03-2016, 04:03 PM
This was put off 3 weeks because of the CL.

We are about to become basketball school.

Coursesuper
11-03-2016, 04:15 PM

Your only seeing the end results of what was going on, it was well played by those that ultimately got what they wanted.

Spiderman
11-03-2016, 04:25 PM

Not worried abut the AD part... but State does not have to, nor should it, settle for an unproven baseball coach.

Johnson85
11-03-2016, 04:32 PM

There is a slight chance this is going to look like a genius move, and a big chance this is going to look like a colossal 17up.

If the new baseball coach underachieves, that will mean we took a top 5 baseball coach and turned him into an AD that couldn't even handle selecting a head coach in the sport he's an expert in. Even if the new baseball coach does well, if Cohen screws up handling Dan (or ultimately replacing Dan if Dan leaves), it will still look bad as we took a huge risk with our baseball program to get an AD that 17ed up the first thing he touched outside of football. I really hope there is a genius being a puppet master behind the scenes and that this isn't as dumb as it looks.

Saltydog
11-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Here we are about to construct a baseball stadium that is equivalent to Triple A baseball and the best in CBB and we're going to hire someone green as a grasshoppers ass. Unreal.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-03-2016, 04:40 PM
If it breaks tomorrow, at least we have obviously learned the OM PR way of putting out information that you don't really want to draw much attention. I can see it now....10:00 am; pr release from MSU that a press conference has been called for 1:00 pm that afternoon. That will give the press about 3 1/2 hours at most to circulate the information before the weekend kicks in and more important events start taking place and by Monday it would have been forgotten outside the state borders. I'm excited we've advanced this far.

codeDawg
11-03-2016, 04:41 PM
The obsession with "state guys" and loyalty just shows incompetence from our leadership. Hire the best guy for the job, pay him well, give him the resources he needs to be successful, and then hold him accountable. This isn't rocket science.

Instead we hire someone that can be controlled by people to whom the athletics program is a hobby and let him take a gamble on his first hire. Way to go, guys.

lamont
11-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Not worried abut the AD part... but State does not have to, nor should it, settle for an unproven baseball coach.

we arent settling. Many people feel this guy is the next top coach in the country. This also hurts LSU.

BulldogBear
11-03-2016, 05:03 PM
The behind the scenes power play stuff reeks of middle school cheer squad antics. This whole thing is just BS the way it's been handled.

bobcat91
11-03-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm fine with the Cohen hire, if that's what it is. Most of our fans have shit for brains to be quite honest. Byrne changed the entire trajectory of the athletic program and he was an assistant AD when hired. He only hired Mullen--our most successful football coach and Cohen who took us to the CWS championship. We really screwed that up because we didn't get an established AD. Then Stricklin took over and even though he wasn't a favorite of mine and had never been an AD, we hire Vic and Ben, completed the football stadium, built the softball/tennis complex and have solid plans for the new Duty Noble. I have no problem with Cohen even though he is not my first choice. He is a winner and will not accept losing so acting like he is going to stop being John Cohen is stupid. He is going to get in people's faces and demand excellence.

Finally, I don't know who the next head BB coach will be if Cohen gets the job. But the LSU Assistant is being called the next Dan McDowell and a superstar in the making. He is being groomed to be the next HC at LSU, a better program than ours, but he cant be our HC. Most of the times, I really hate our fans.

MarketingBully
11-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Or the guy could turn out to be like a Dan McDonnell or Cliff Godwin type hire and Cohen looks like a genius for seeing it before even his crap alma mater (Tulane) did. We are a loaded talented team so he doesn't have to worry about a rebuild or starting this from scratch. Sorry but I just am not going to look at this like most of you do with as negative and pessimistic eye as possible.

I'm also wondering how the hell hiring Cohen is getting in our own way as the AD. If you ask me, hiring Stricklin was hiring our own and getting in our own way. And when we offered something comparable with Florida, he still bolted. Sorry but I much rather have an AD in Cohen who wants to win and will do what's best for MSU to win. Give me that 10 times out of 10.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 05:18 PM
we arent settling. Many people feel this guy is the next top coach in the country. This also hurts LSU.

That's what they said about Lane Kiffen too. This guys alma mater picked Vandy's hitting coach over him.

Dawgtini
11-03-2016, 05:22 PM
We are a developmental program. At all levels

Todd4State
I'm fine with the Cohen hire, if that's what it is. Most of our fans have shit for brains to be quite honest. Byrne changed the entire trajectory of the athletic program and he was an assistant AD when hired. He only hired Mullen--our most successful football coach and Cohen who took us to the CWS championship. We really screwed that up because we didn't get an established AD. Then Stricklin took over and even though he wasn't a favorite of mine and had never been an AD, we hire Vic and Ben, completed the football stadium, built the softball/tennis complex and have solid plans for the new Duty Noble. I have no problem with Cohen even though he is not my first choice. He is a winner and will not accept losing so acting like he is going to stop being John Cohen is stupid. He is going to get in people's faces and demand excellence.

Finally, I don't know who the next head BB coach will be if Cohen gets the job. But the LSU Assistant is being called the next Dan McDowell and a superstar in the making. He is being groomed to be the next HC at LSU, a better program than ours, but he cant be our HC. Most of the times, I really hate our fans.

Yes but at least Byrne and Stricklin had athletic administration experience. Cohen? Not so much.

lamont
That's what they said about Lane Kiffen too. This guys alma mater picked Vandy's hitting coach over him.

Did they? Or did he stay at LSU because he is being groomed for their job?

bobcat91
11-03-2016, 05:25 PM

Fine, but when was the last time Tulane was really relevant in baseball? This guy is really well thought of. Our chances of getting Corbin or O Connor are low so let's get the next great thing over a retread. And we still don't know if he would be the hire anyway. Quit freaking out like a 10 year old girl.

MarketingBully
11-03-2016, 05:25 PM

And that may very well bite them in the ass in time. You act like that decision happened a few years ago. It happened a few months ago. The fact is we don't know. Tulane may have made a colossal **** up. We don't know.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Did they? Or did he stay at LSU because he is being groomed for their job?

If he is being groomed for LSU why would he come here when he could have accomplished the same thing at Tulane which is 45 minutes from his home? And that is another concern because if he is any good he's probably going to end up at LSU. So really we're probably helping them more than hurting in the long run.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Fine, but when was the last time Tulane was really relevant in baseball? This guy is really well thought of. Our chances of getting Corbin or O Connor are low so let's get the next great thing over a retread. And we still don't know if he would be the hire anyway. Quit freaking out like a 10 year old girl.

They were relevant last year when they were a two seed and knocked Ole Miss out last year.

preachermatt83
11-03-2016, 05:39 PM
Still not buying it. I'll believe it when I see it. Id buy Cohen maybe but We are too good of a program to hire a guy with zero experience. I'd hire butch before I hired some LSU assistant who has coached baseball for 2 years.

Coursesuper
11-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Still not buying it. I'll believe it when I see it. Id buy Cohen maybe but We are too good of a program to hire a guy with zero experience. I'd hire butch before I hired some LSU assistant who has coached baseball for 2 years.

Just curious, but why are you ok with Cohen?

bulldogcountry1
11-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Lets assume this guy is indeed the next Augie Garrido. It's still a very risky choice, given how we are on the cusp of building a $55 million stadium and still need half of the funds to pay for it. How many people are going to be excited and ready to fork over large sums of cash for what will be a virtual unknown outside of inner coaching circles?

I'm just picturing the reaction when the coach who only recently took us to the CWS finals hands over the keys to a guy who's done nothing to earn an SEC HC position.

lamont
11-03-2016, 05:52 PM
If he is being groomed for LSU why would he come here when he could have accomplished the same thing at Tulane which is 45 minutes from his home? And that is another concern because if he is any good he's probably going to end up at LSU. So really we're probably helping them more than hurting in the long run.

because you dont turn down an SEC job. You can turn down Tulane easily.

lamont
11-03-2016, 05:54 PM

hearing he is telling the team tonight

Cohen is making the baseball hire. Obviously he is choosing this guy over everybody else. So maybe he knows alot more than we do on this. And he obviously doesnt want Butch

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 05:56 PM
because you dont turn down an SEC job. You can turn down Tulane easily.

He has some damn good ESP to know our job would be open since Tulane made their hire in July.

Or a better agent than Dan Mullen.

Thick
11-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Some of you just want to win the press conference. You guys (the majority) know me or my background with MSU, and I have been told by certain athletic administrators that John might be THE smartest administrator on campus that includes our past AD. He's not just an MSU grad. He wore the maroon and white, and that carries a lot of weight with me. He would not be in this position if it were not for MSU. He will do a great job if he becomes our next AD. Some of you need to step back and take a breath, we will be in good hands.

Saltydog
11-03-2016, 06:12 PM
a number of big name coaches that would have some interest in our job. I think Cohen wants a damn puppet and a big name HC wouldn't fit the bill.

ckDOG
11-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Catching up on this fiasco. So we are hiring Cohen for AD? A man with no AD experience. His first interview question obviously had to have been "as your first move as AD, who do you hire to replace you?". If his answer truly was to bring in a guy with 2 years coaching experience then he should have been eliminated on the spot. It could prove genius in hindsight but that's not the type of move you want an unproven AD to make. Too risky. This is ubeliebable even by MSU standards. Grow some balls or quit being a dumbass, Keenum.

Coursesuper
11-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Some of you just want to win the press conference. You guys (the majority) know me or my background with MSU, and I have been told by certain athletic administrators that John might be THE smartest administrator on campus that includes our past AD. He's not just an MSU grad. He wore the maroon and white, and that carries a lot of weight with me. He would not be in this position if it were not for MSU. He will do a great job if he becomes our next AD. Some of you need to step back and take a breath, we will be in good hands.o

Well that's all I need to hear, if it's Maroon and White it's all rainbows and unicorns!

basedog
11-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Time will tell. I think Cohen will do good things, have not a clue bout baseball coach except my Lsu buddies think it's a home run hire if true. They know more bout him as a coach than say......All the negative posters on him.

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2016, 06:29 PM
I'd hire butch before I hired some LSU assistant who has coached baseball for 2 years.

Holy moly. Rando, you believe this guy just said this?

Listen, I get the frustration here about why we just aren't going out and getting a proven coach, but throw that in the trash can and trust us here. Very Dan McDonald type hire

bobcat91
11-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Corbin isn't coming, Virginia just announced a 12.5 million facility upgrade so OConner isn't coming. McDowell, Sloshnagle, or any big name coaches aren't coming either. Tadlock at Texas Tech may be viable, but I'd take the LSU assistant over someone like Butch. We are not a destination place for coaches. We are the proving ground for up and coming assistants or the last chance hotel for established guys out of work looking for one last chance. Sorry if that hurts folks feelings but that's who we are.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Just talked to some folks, there's a hint that Alan Dunn might be coming with Cannizzaro if this all works out.

HSVDawg
11-03-2016, 06:36 PM

Even if there wasn't interest from top level guys in November, we would always have the option to just go ahead and name Cohen AD but set his start date to begin July 1st, 2017, and let Weatherbee serve as interim until then while Cohen remains coach for one more baseball season. Cohen could gradually transition some items to his responsibility between now and February and then take the full reins next summer.

Or, we could hire a seasoned AD and leave Cohen where he's at. Either way, next year's baseball team is not looking very promising so I don't think it really matters if Cohen hangs around for a farewell tour.

Everything about this whole situation just screams half-ass.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2016, 06:39 PM
I was wanting a more experienced hc but after talking to some of our recruits they are excited at the possibility of Cannizzaro and perhaps Dunn too

HSVDawg
11-03-2016, 06:39 PM
We are a developmental program. At all levels

This exactly. We are making two half-ass, very risky hires. At least one should be a proven candidate but neither are.

msstatelp1
11-03-2016, 06:46 PM
If Cohen is the next AD then who better to hire the next baseball coach? Does anyone really think Cohen would just hire some loser to replace himself? Cohen is smart enough to understand that if he screws up this one (especially this one) then he's basically f'd himself for his entire career as the AD. I seriously doubt Cohen would hire this guy unless he's 100% sure it's a homerun.

HancockCountyDog
11-03-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm fine with Cohen to AD, I'm fine with the LSU guy as the next coach, I'm pissed at the way Keenum botched the entire CL announcement.

It was f*cking amateur hour.

Really Clark?
11-03-2016, 06:57 PM
If Cohen is the next AD then who better to hire the next baseball coach? Does anyone really think Cohen would just hire some loser to replace himself? Cohen is smart enough to understand that if he screws up this one (especially this one) then he's basically f'd himself for his entire career as the AD. I seriously doubt Cohen would hire this guy unless he's 100% sure it's a homerun.

If he thinks a guy with 2 years experience as an assistant is a HR hire then he has no business as an AD. I believe he thinks he is hiring a sharp young hot assistant with potential to be a great coach. But that is not a HR hire.

But again all of that is irrelevant. If the process had been allowed to go through properly and these were the choices, fine. I can stand behind that a lot easier. But the process was tainted and agendas pushed through devious and underhanded means. False support generated by misinformation. That is the problem. Hopefully things are corrected and the ones behind this get handcuffed in the future. They are not trustworthy to have this kind of influence in the athletic department.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Corbin isn't coming, Virginia just announced a 12.5 million facility upgrade so OConner isn't coming. McDowell, Sloshnagle, or any big name coaches aren't coming either. Tadlock at Texas Tech may be viable, but I'd take the LSU assistant over someone like Butch. We are not a destination place for coaches. We are the proving ground for up and coming assistants or the last chance hotel for established guys out of work looking for one last chance. Sorry if that hurts folks feelings but that's who we are.

If it is Cannizarro it would be the first head baseball coach that we have hired without any previous experience since 1975. Polk was a fairly big name when we hired him back in 1976- led Georgia Southern to a regional and was a top assistant at Miami. McMahon was a desired coach when we brought him back as evidenced by the fact that Florida paid a ton to get him. We had a chance to hire Augie Garrido in 1991 and Paul Manieri in 2001. Cohen was a big name coach as well.

Take that shit somewhere else.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2016, 07:18 PM
If it is Cannizarro it would be the first head baseball coach that we have hired without any previous experience since 1975. Polk was a fairly big name when we hired him back in 1976- led Georgia Southern to a regional and was a top assistant at Miami. McMahon was a desired coach when we brought him back as evidenced by the fact that Florida paid a ton to get him. We had a chance to hire Augie Garrido in 1991 and Paul Manieri in 2001. Cohen was a big name coach as well.

Yeah I think he got the wrong sport, Todd. We can draw a fine baseball coach, I've just heard Cohen really likes Cannizzaro and if we get Dunn too could be really good. I'm still up in the air in the whole thing been very strange.

bobcat91
11-03-2016, 07:19 PM

Just glad guys like you have zero input into this hire. Love the info you bring, but you are dead wrong on this. We have never hired big name in the prime of their career guys. It has always been up and comers or guys needing another chance. Since you are the know it all baseball guru, and in much better position to make a hire over Cohen, who is your guy?

bobcat91
11-03-2016, 07:22 PM
All the guys you mentioned were before the new stratification of baseball scholarships that give some schools and states built in advantages over us. Name who you would hire, Todd?

preachermatt83
11-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Holy moly. Rando, you believe this guy just said this?

Listen, I get the frustration here about why we just aren't going out and getting a proven coach, but throw that in the trash can and trust us here. Very Dan McDonald type hire

How do you know that? Why do you even think that?

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2016, 07:34 PM

See, your not trusting me here. I'm asking you to trust me

msstatelp1
11-03-2016, 07:54 PM
If he thinks a guy with 2 years experience as an assistant is a HR hire then he has no business as an AD. I believe he thinks he is hiring a sharp young hot assistant with potential to be a great coach. But that is not a HR hire.

But again all of that is irrelevant. If the process had been allowed to go through properly and these were the choices, fine. I can stand behind that a lot easier. But the process was tainted and agendas pushed through devious and underhanded means. False support generated by misinformation. That is the problem. Hopefully things are corrected and the ones behind this get handcuffed in the future. They are not trustworthy to have this kind of influence in the athletic department.

So exactly how was the process tainted? I've heard this stuff over and over during this search but everyone that mentions it is too chickenshit to provide names or details.

Coursesuper
11-03-2016, 08:13 PM
I'm fine with Cohen to AD, I'm fine with the LSU guy as the next coach, I'm pissed at the way Keenum botched the entire CL announcement.

It was f*cking amateur hour.

The administration didn't botch anything mr/ms Ladner, Cuevas or Necaise or is it Halliday. They ambushed by a younger crowd and had to bow to pressure from old money. This entire thing has been a fustercluck pretty much from the beginning.

gtowndawg
11-03-2016, 08:27 PM

Way to logical of a thought for this board today. Take that crap somewhere else **

RezDog7
11-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Some of you just want to win the press conference. You guys (the majority) know me or my background with MSU, and I have been told by certain athletic administrators that John might be THE smartest administrator on campus that includes our past AD. He's not just an MSU grad. He wore the maroon and white, and that carries a lot of weight with me. He would not be in this position if it were not for MSU. He will do a great job if he becomes our next AD. Some of you need to step back and take a breath, we will be in good hands.

This guy gets it. If you think we were going to just hire Corbin or O'Conner because we are MSU really don't have a clue.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Just glad guys like you have zero input into this hire. Love the info you bring, but you are dead wrong on this. We have never hired big name in the prime of their career guys. It has always been up and comers or guys needing another chance. Since you are the know it all baseball guru, and in much better position to make a hire over Cohen, who is your guy?

Well, the last time we were looking for a baseball coach I said we should hire Cohen years before we actually did and I'd say that worked out pretty good. I'm glad they didn't ask for your input because we wouldn't have what we do now- which is by far our strongest sport. I also said that Polk II would set us back ten years and it did. I said that on Genespage in 2001. When we hired Cohen, Polk I, and McMahon they were all in the prime of their careers. We could have had Garrido and Manieri in the primes of their careers as well. In fact saying those things at the time and them turning out to be correct plus knowing a lot about the high school baseball scene and our recruiting is what has built my "Internet reputation" more than anything- and don't get me wrong I enjoy talking about MSU sports and baseball more than anything so it is what it is whether you like what I bring or not.

Again I said- we haven't hired an up and comer since 1975 and yet you are sticking with "it has always been up and comers" when it clearly hasn't for over 40 years. Please. You're denying facts- Polk absolutely was a big name in 1976 when we hired him. McMahon was a big name when we brought him back. Polk II even was a big name after leading UGA to Omaha. Cohen was considered by most to be the top young coach in the country along with Dan McDonnell and was a big name. And we hired Cohen AFTER TOPS and etc had been around for years. Same with Polk II.

If you ask me who I would hire, I'd go after Greg Goff from Alabama and I would have no problems kicking the tires on Corbin and O'Connor either. I already detailed in a post last week what it would take to get them- and I would absolutely be willing to pay them 2 million to come here. We may not get those two but I could get them to listen at the very least.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 08:36 PM
All the guys you mentioned were before the new stratification of baseball scholarships that give some schools and states built in advantages over us. Name who you would hire, Todd?

And yet we're about to hire a guy from LSU. Think about that.

Plus, you have no clue what Cohen has been doing since he has gotten here to offset that advantage legally. You can look at our team GPA and figure it out for yourself. And if you think that is going to stop with Cohen as AD- I highly doubt it. In fact I could see Cannizarro saying "John, there is the kid from California that is an elite pitcher that wants to go to college and he likes what we have to offer. Can you find us some leadership scholarship money to help us out?" I wouldn't be shocked at all if our recruiting got even better than it is now. And I'm being serious when I say that.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 08:37 PM
This guy gets it. If you think we were going to just hire Corbin or O'Conner because we are MSU really don't have a clue.

Oh, they would easily command 2 million and be worth it. It would almost be the college baseball version of what Alabama did with Saban to a lesser degree. The highest paid coach in the SEC is Manieri who makes 750K and then around a million including bonuses and etc. for reference.

Goldendawg
11-03-2016, 08:40 PM
I know it's against the rules to go there, but has the CL announced who our new baseball coach is yet? They seem to have gotten the AD choice correct a week or two ago? ( Kind of Kidding!)

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 08:47 PM
I know it's against the rules to go there, but has the CL announced who our new baseball coach is yet? They seem to have gotten the AD choice correct a week or two ago? ( Kind of Kidding!)

Not officially, but I feel pretty confident based on the rumors I am hearing and who I am getting them from that it will be Andy Cannizarro. I'll put it at 95%. I think it will be an interesting dynamic because we'll see how much say Cohen has in the day to day operations with the baseball team.

If Sid Salter sends me a nastygram, I'll let everyone know.

Goldendawg
11-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Now that we have a new AD, we could use some improvements in our PR department also.

Noxdog
11-03-2016, 09:19 PM

Is in the business and you are not. He will let you handle telling us who great pastors are, so leave it to him on baseball.

msstatelp1
11-04-2016, 07:33 AM
The administration didn't botch anything mr/ms Ladner, Cuevas or Necaise or is it Halliday. They ambushed by a younger crowd and had to bow to pressure from old money. This entire thing has been a fustercluck pretty much from the beginning.

So I'm to assume the old money wanted Cohen. What did the younger croud want and how did they ambush Keenum or whoever?

Sorry it should be "whomever" I think. Or maybe whatever at this point!!