PDA

View Full Version : If you were making the schedule...

Political Hack
11-03-2016, 08:55 AM
... What would you try to get scheduled for the OOC away game?

I'd love to go play Syracuse in the Dome, see TD Jesus, Annapolis (Navy) or even Maryland at College Park, but I think Washington might top all of them. I'd love to see their floating tailgate. Northwestern with a trip to Chicago would be fun too. Rainbow Warriors would be a decent trip too.

I'm not a huge fan of scheduling likely losses in OOC, but if we're purely talking venues/trips here where would you want to go?

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Army, Navy, and/or Air Force if Air Force counts as a power five. All are good road trips to New York, the Maryland/DC area or Colorado.

DownwardDawg
11-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Tulane in the Superdome. Not their new stadium.

Outside Dawg
11-03-2016, 09:02 AM
With no consideration of winning or losing...
ACC- Clemson, FSU
Big Ten- Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State
Big 12- Oklahoma
Pac 12- Pretty much all of them...but Washington, Oregon, Colorado
Ind- Notre Dame, Academies

Political Hack
11-03-2016, 09:04 AM
With no consideration of winning or losing...
ACC- Clemson, FSU
Big Ten- Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State
Big 12- Oklahoma
Pac 12- Pretty much all of them...but Washington, Oregon, Colorado
Ind- Notre Dame, Academies

Washington is on my bucket list man. That's a great venue!

SapperDawg
11-03-2016, 09:06 AM
I just spent a weekend at West Point, and attended a reception with the Superintendent of the USMA and the Athletic Director. Bottom line, I dont think Army will ever play us, or anyone else in the SEC, as the sole focus is show improvement in the program and beat Navy. They are interested in win totals only at this point, and playing us does not improve that. Look for them to only scheduled extreme lower tier FBS schools and FCS schools.

drunkernhelldawg
11-03-2016, 09:16 AM
I like to play teams that we don't play very often. I also dislike playing FCS teams. FCS week means no excitement, limited boost with a win, and huge consequence for a loss. To me, it's like paying to throw a week away.

Liverpooldawg
11-03-2016, 09:21 AM
... What would you try to get scheduled for the OOC away game?

I'd love to go play Syracuse in the Dome, see TD Jesus, Annapolis (Navy) or even Maryland at College Park, but I think Washington might top all of them. I'd love to see their floating tailgate. Northwestern with a trip to Chicago would be fun too. Rainbow Warriors would be a decent trip too.

I'm not a huge fan of scheduling likely losses in OOC, but if we're purely talking venues/trips here where would you want to go?

Army
Wisconsin
Boston College
California
Penn State
I agree on Washington but they never gave us a return game from the last time we went out there.

LC Dawg
11-03-2016, 09:23 AM
I've always thought that it would be great to have a road game that would be easily accessible by train. It would be a great trip to have a train full of State fans partying all the way to a game. Northwestern would be a good one to Chicago and there are some good opportunities up the east coast on the Crescent City out of New Orleans.
Also, I would love to go to a game at Notre Dame just because of the history.

drunkernhelldawg
11-03-2016, 09:24 AM
I've always thought that it would be great to have a road game that would be easily accessible by train. It would be a great trip to have a train full of State fans partying all the way to a game. Northwestern would be a good one to Chicago and there are some good opportunities up the east coast on the Crescent City out of New Orleans.
Also, I would love to go to a game at Notre Dame just because of the history.

Yes yes yes

Ifyouonlyknew
11-03-2016, 09:34 AM
ACC - Virginia Tech
Big 12 - Texas Tech
Big 10 - Wisconsin
Pac 12 - Colorado

TrueMaroon
11-03-2016, 09:37 AM
I love the ones we are playing now; I think the A.D. did a great job by scheduling schools from the other Power 5 conferences that are similar to us in today's college football. Minnesota, Arizona, KSU, NC State all fall about where we do in pecking order in their own respective conferences.

Tbonewannabe
11-03-2016, 10:18 AM
I like to play teams that we don't play very often. I also dislike playing FCS teams. FCS week means no excitement, limited boost with a win, and huge consequence for a loss. To me, it's like paying to throw a week away.

But it should give you 1) an automatic win 2) a chance to play younger plays and get them game experience 3) rest your starters so they aren't beat up against SEC teams 4)usually a pretty good ROI since most of these teams take half what you would pay a mid major and you still basically sell all the tickets.

I like having this game right before Nightmare November so hopefully our guys don't have a physical game and can get some what rested going into the final SEC stretch. That is how it should work anyway.

Tbonewannabe
11-03-2016, 10:26 AM
I would love Colorado or Washington. Train ride to Northwestern sounds awesome. Someone needs to tell Cohen to set this up or whoever is in charge now.

Places I would love to see a game would be FSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio St, Oklahoma, UCLA, and UT. Most if not all of these would be loses but I just want to see a game at these stadiums. My wife and I still have A&M, Mizzou, and Tenn to watch a game in all of the SEC stadiums.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-03-2016, 10:47 AM
We played at Washington I think in 1977. I agree that would be a great trip. If you've never been to a game at Notre Dame, that needs to be on your list....MSU playing or not. You might enjoy it even more if we weren't involved. I saw Notre Dame play USC. Unreal atmosphere. Do it when the leaves have changed and you have to wear at least a jacket of some sort. Feel the elements and get the full affect. If you're a college football fan, you can't help but get goose bumps by feeling the history and tradition that oozes from that place.

nsvltndog
11-03-2016, 11:05 AM
If we want to play at West Point, we should schedule a trip there in 2035 to mark the 100th anniversary of our only game with them. It is considered by many to be one of the best wins in MSU history, but I doubt it means very much to Army. See the link below for some interesting history on that game. Michie stadium sits right on the Hudson River. A game in late October/early November with the leaves changing would be incredible.

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/CFHSN/CFHSNv25/CFHSNv25n4d.pdf

mcain31
11-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Virginia Tech
Washington
UCLA
Ohio State

I had fun visiting all of those campuses

sandwolf
11-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Strictly based on the trip/venue: Washington, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Virginia Tech, San Diego State, Virginia (I have heard Charlottesville is top notch), Arizona/Arizona State, UCLA, Colorado

BulldogBear
11-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Duke. Seriously an awesome venue. I'd love to go back.

Oklahoma State. I'm craving Hideaway Pizza. Their stadium is interesting and the fans are right up on the field, less than six feet from the sideline at some places.

New Mexico. I'd want a two for one but probably wouldn't get it. Albuquerque is beautiful. I miss it.

Illinois. We played them in 1980, the first year I was "aware" of college football. That always sticks out in my mind.