PDA

View Full Version : OT: Story about Pickle

Lettuce
11-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Morning fellas. I figured I'd honor the man, the myth, the legend.

I promised I would share a few things once I had time to reflect. I'm still in disbelief. RIP buddy.

I first met Pickle at the Veranda back in 2004....and I think I saw him everyday until my last days in the golden triangle, which were somewhere in 2007. I couldn't get away from him if I tried. He is one of the founders of the brand, Lettuce.....as is Dawg61's crazy ass. Us three played many a round of golf together...whether it was with the Willcutt's at the CC or at the Highlands, where I lived and had the keys to the kingdom. Chances are, if you lived in the highlands between 2004-2007, you witnessed a black Toyota Tacoma riding the cart trails at night. I was an Idiot and I loved my co-pilot.

It became a regular thing on Sundays......Get hammered at the highland clubhouse, around halftime of the Sunday night game, take my truck down to the house, via #18 cartpath.....grab clubs and head back up to the hill for the late night driving range. He loved swinging the sticks and by god, he could hold his own. Pickle had such an honorary way about him....in a good way. He loved what he loved and he loved it to death.

It was a Sunday morning if I remember correctly. Early Early Early, like 5am. I remember it being cool, either Feb or March....but whatever. For some reason I was not up...when the phone rang....."Hello".........long pause.....followed by what sounded like an old Metallica song on in the background... likely 99.1.....all of a sudden....."LATTUCE" "I NEED YOUR HALP"......
I'm here to tell ya, if Pickle called you and said he needed help, chances are, he is in a super bind. As we all know, Pickle was THE bailsbondsman. So my initial thoughts weren't what most would expect.....Hell, I figured a winch might be involved. What I had forgot about was that Pickle was in charge of the big Crawfish Boil up at the Highlands.....which was supposed to happen around lunch.

"LATTUCE, do you know where I can FINd a GoosNAck trailer"? It was early and I started to process what was going on.... "I mean, I GOT TO GOs and pick These CRawdads UP and I Have No GooSNack Traler"........................"Pickle, brother, its 5:30am and I don't even have a trailer ball" "Im fresh out of GOoSNACk trailers" .........."AH HEll", he said "I'm on my way"...................I gulped, went and took a shit and thought "I hope to god he is drunk and passes out before he realizes he called me.

What I didnt know was that he was already in the neighborhood.......with a bead on my house........KNOCK KNOCK BOOM BOOM ...Door to my house opens......up the stairs he comes.....bathroom door flys open......"LATTUCE, WHATS YOU DOING"..........................."I'm dreaming, you"?........

I'll never forget that day......It was an utter disaster, the crawfish were terrible, people were getting sick..........I think 3 entire sacks were boiled without 1 live crayfish breathing.........but the music was great, the beer was cold and everyone I loved was hanging out there. We never frowned, never complained and all showed a gratitude toward Pickle and the others that threw the party. We were all a pretty tight group.....Most in and out of the service industry. Pickle loved his people and we loved Pickle. Share if you attended that party. One of the greatest days I can remember at State.....and it was all to do because of Pickle.

Dallas_Dawg
11-03-2016, 09:33 AM
You have his accent down pat with that spelling. RIP Pickle.
I should have a Pickled Pig in his honor

Maroonthirteen
11-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Thanks for sharing.

SailingDawg
11-03-2016, 10:53 AM
I knew Mike when we were 3-4 years old when they lived in Columbus. They moved while we were still young but it was great to catch up with him over the years as we grew older. Great stories!

Dawg61
11-03-2016, 11:50 AM
The Pickle Golf scramble at the Highlands with a crawfish boil and the AC/DC "Shook Me All Night Long" music festival needs to be an annual thing. With Pickle golf polos in different colors for every team.

Political Hack
11-03-2016, 01:26 PM
The Pickle Golf scramble at the Highlands with a crawfish boil and the AC/DC "Shook Me All Night Long" music festival needs to be an annual thing. With Pickle golf polos in different colors for every team.

Like that.

Liked the story too. He was an icon.

Corn Bread
11-03-2016, 07:30 PM

I promised I would share a few things once I had time to reflect. I'm still in disbelief. RIP buddy.

I first met Pickle at the Veranda back in 2004....and I think I saw him everyday until my last days in the golden triangle, which were somewhere in 2007. I couldn't get away from him if I tried. He is one of the founders of the brand, Lettuce.....as is Dawg61's crazy ass. Us three played many a round of golf together...whether it was with the Willcutt's at the CC or at the Highlands, where I lived and had the keys to the kingdom. Chances are, if you lived in the highlands between 2004-2007, you witnessed a black Toyota Tacoma riding the cart trails at night. I was an Idiot and I loved my co-pilot.

It became a regular thing on Sundays......Get hammered at the highland clubhouse, around halftime of the Sunday night game, take my truck down to the house, via #18 cartpath.....grab clubs and head back up to the hill for the late night driving range. He loved swinging the sticks and by god, he could hold his own. Pickle had such an honorary way about him....in a good way. He loved what he loved and he loved it to death.

It was a Sunday morning if I remember correctly. Early Early Early, like 5am. I remember it being cool, either Feb or March....but whatever. For some reason I was not up...when the phone rang....."Hello".........long pause.....followed by what sounded like an old Metallica song on in the background... likely 99.1.....all of a sudden....."LATTUCE" "I NEED YOUR HALP"......
I'm here to tell ya, if Pickle called you and said he needed help, chances are, he is in a super bind. As we all know, Pickle was THE bailsbondsman. So my initial thoughts weren't what most would expect.....Hell, I figured a winch might be involved. What I had forgot about was that Pickle was in charge of the big Crawfish Boil up at the Highlands.....which was supposed to happen around lunch.

"LATTUCE, do you know where I can FINd a GoosNAck trailer"? It was early and I started to process what was going on.... "I mean, I GOT TO GOs and pick These CRawdads UP and I Have No GooSNack Traler"........................"Pickle, brother, its 5:30am and I don't even have a trailer ball" "Im fresh out of GOoSNACk trailers" .........."AH HEll", he said "I'm on my way"...................I gulped, went and took a shit and thought "I hope to god he is drunk and passes out before he realizes he called me.

What I didnt know was that he was already in the neighborhood.......with a bead on my house........KNOCK KNOCK BOOM BOOM ...Door to my house opens......up the stairs he comes.....bathroom door flys open......"LATTUCE, WHATS YOU DOING"..........................."I'm dreaming, you"?........

I'll never forget that day......It was an utter disaster, the crawfish were terrible, people were getting sick..........I think 3 entire sacks were boiled without 1 live crayfish breathing.........but the music was great, the beer was cold and everyone I loved was hanging out there. We never frowned, never complained and all showed a gratitude toward Pickle and the others that threw the party. We were all a pretty tight group.....Most in and out of the service industry. Pickle loved his people and we loved Pickle. Share if you attended that party. One of the greatest days I can remember at State.....and it was all to do because of Pickle.

I read this earlier sitting in a office. LMAO! Let me tell ya brother, just lost a good friend who I thought of reading this. Now, KW was no Pickle, but I have got the 5 am WTF call from KW. Really wish I could get another from him. Great read.

Corn Bread
11-03-2016, 07:36 PM
I read this earlier sitting in a office. LMAO! Let me tell ya brother, just lost a good friend who I thought of reading this. Now, KW was no Pickle, but I have got the 5 am WTF call from KW. Really wish I could get another from him. Great read.

Lettuce, lastly you could write for Snuffy Smith in the funny paper.

DogsofAnarchy
11-03-2016, 07:44 PM
I knew Pickle for the last 25 years. We worked at The Club together for several years and we had a bunch of adventures. No body on Earth like Pickle. I will miss my friend but I hate the world has to miss that big laugh more than anything.

Lettuce
11-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Longest cargo shorts they make...more pockets than golf balls....MLUHAHAGAAH is the only way you could abbreviate his laugh.

Dawg61
11-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Didn't even need a phone to reach Pickle all you had to do was thrown some brats on the grill and he'd be flipping them for ya when you come back with the buns from the kitchen