PDA

View Full Version : Best World Series of our Lifetime?

TheRef
11-02-2016, 11:47 PM
What say you? Is this the best World Series of our lifetime? Two long-time underdogs brawling over 7 games to end their droughts, the two longest currently MLB championship droughts.

BeastMan
11-02-2016, 11:53 PM
I'm not as old as some of these geezers on her but I'd have to say ya

starkvegasdawg
11-02-2016, 11:57 PM
I'm biased being a braves fan but I'll take their game 6 win over Cleveland.

GTHOM
11-03-2016, 12:22 AM
Indians would have won if they let Ricky Vaughn pitch

Commercecomet24
11-03-2016, 12:31 AM
It was dang good. The '91 series was tops in my mind. 5 games decided by 1 run, 3 extra innings and game 7 tied 0-0 after 9. But this one was awesome cause the Cubs finally won!

It_Could_Happen
11-03-2016, 01:24 AM
Best World Series game of all time in terms of entertainment. Still say best series is 04 sox Yankees. I'm a sox fan so I'm biased though

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 01:28 AM
I think the 2011 World Series was the best. Sure, maybe I’m biased but game six of the 2011 World Series where you had a team down by multiple runs and two outs not once but twice in the same game and the Cardinals still came back to win in Game six was insane. You also had Albert Pujols tying Reggie Jackson’s World Series record in the one game that was a blowout and some very good games the rest of the series which came down to the wire. There is a reason that World Series was mentioned several times tonight. 1975 is up there as well where Carlton Fisk had the game winning home run in game six where he begged the ball to go fair and then the Reds won it the next game. 1991 with the Braves and Twins where the Twins had a walk-off in game six to force a game seven and then you had Jack Morris pitching 10 innings of shut out baseball and winning 1-0. The 2003 World Series where the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees was a really good one too.

One good thing about this World Series is I think it shows some of those Sabermetric people why you can’t just throw your best relief guy multiple times everyday for multiple innings in high leverage spots. The Cubs and Indians did that and by the end of this World Series it basically became a war of attrition and whose bullpen was the least worn out by game seven. Bullpen aces on both sides struggled tonight on both sides. Chapman was about to collapse out there and was having to resort to throwing sliders every pitch because that’s all he could get over with any life on it.

Lettuce
11-03-2016, 02:59 AM
Yup

lamont
11-03-2016, 06:20 AM
Easily the best. I waited 35 years for this. Lots of Cubs fans waited alot longer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB3ANuGKJwQ

shoeless joe
11-03-2016, 07:03 AM
91 was the greatest by far. People forget that the braves also had a walk off in game 3 after justice hosed a guy at the plate. Then the dramatics of games 6 & 7 in the metrodome. As for overall game by game competitiveness for a 7 game series there is no comparison.

That being said, this series was great and game 7 will go down as a classic. Just like game 6 in '11. I had no rooting interest whatsoever for most of the series and was thoroughly entertained. But by the latter part of game 7 I was pulling for the tribe. I honestly don't think maddon deserved the win. Tito out managed him but maddon had more horses at the end of the day.

msstatelp1
11-03-2016, 07:06 AM
'75 Reds vs RedSox for me. I was a huge Big Red Machine fan.

missouridawg
11-03-2016, 07:28 AM
Best World Series game of all time in terms of entertainment. Still say best series is 04 sox Yankees. I'm a sox fan so I'm biased though

I guess people have forgot about Game 6 of the 2011 series... 8 lead changes, home team down to last strike in bottom of 9th and bottom of 10th (both outs would've ended World Series). Both time home team got hit to force next inning. Then, a walk off homer to end it.

It had much more baseball drama than this game 7, although this game 7 was very exciting. Outside of Davis' game tying homer... And extra innings... What else was there? A bunch of questionable pitching changes? I think our country is falling for the hysteria of the goat curse, rather than analyzing on-the-field hysteria.

fader2103
11-03-2016, 07:31 AM
As a life long Cubs fan (all in part to WGN and Harry). Yes. My only question is over or under 275 heart attacks reported last night due to the game ?

klong-dog
11-03-2016, 07:33 AM
91 was the greatest by far. People forget that the braves also had a walk off in game 3 after justice hosed a guy at the plate. Then the dramatics of games 6 & 7 in the metrodome. As for overall game by game competitiveness for a 7 game series there is no comparison.

That being said, this series was great and game 7 will go down as a classic. Just like game 6 in '11. I had no rooting interest whatsoever for most of the series and was thoroughly entertained. But by the latter part of game 7 I was pulling for the tribe. I honestly don't think maddon deserved the win. Tito out managed him but maddon had more horses at the end of the day.

please, I've tried to put that 91 series behind me. Ugh Damn Jack Morris. Not to mention the late Kirby Puckett in game 6. Was 11 years old and remember some of it like yesterday.

Dawgface
11-03-2016, 07:35 AM
No idea. Last night was the first pro baseball game I have watched in years. It was a good one.

BrunswickDawg
11-03-2016, 07:41 AM
1991, 1985, 2011, and 2016 are all in the discussion. For the shear joy of watching my Braves finally get it 1995, that will always be the greatest series to me.

Saltydog
11-03-2016, 07:48 AM
too. Two underdog teams as well in that one. I've never watched an entire w/s but I watched that one from first to last pitch. Good stuff.

smootness
11-03-2016, 08:05 AM
It was dang good. The '91 series was tops in my mind. 5 games decided by 1 run, 3 extra innings and game 7 tied 0-0 after 9. But this one was awesome cause the Cubs finally won!

This. The '91 WS is the greatest ever. This one was good, but the fact that it went 7 and that 7 was such a great game overshadowed the fact that most of the games in the series were pretty drama-free. There were 2 lead changes in the entire series. 2.

Good series, great Game 7, but certainly not the best of our lifetimes.

fishwater99
11-03-2016, 08:24 AM
This. The '91 WS is the greatest ever. This one was good, but the fact that it went 7 and that 7 was such a great game overshadowed the fact that most of the games in the series were pretty drama-free. There were 2 lead changes in the entire series. 2.

Good series, great Game 7, but certainly not the best of our lifetimes.

This..

Political Hack
11-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Free baseball in game 7. That's hard to top.

drunkernhelldawg
11-03-2016, 08:49 AM
I agree it was a great series. Loved the intensity of players on both teams. Gotta hand it to the Cubs. What heart to overcome dropping the first two at home. It was also good to have replay to make sure that bad calls didn't affect the outcome. Love the way that was handled, too.

msstate7
11-03-2016, 09:09 AM

Yep

parabrave
11-03-2016, 10:05 AM
95 is the all time greatest. Sorry huge braves fan here. I would say that maybe last nights game was one the greatest ever but not the series. Personally the 75 series was great and watching Reggie hit his 3 home runs still sticks in my mind.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-03-2016, 10:36 AM
For you young whippersnappers, the 1975 series was comprised of 6 future hall of famer's, plus a hall of fame coach. It was like a heavyweight fight...one team would go up one, the other would come back to tie and go ahead by one, the other would come back and tie it up.....

Here are highlights of the 6th and 7th game, with documentary with Bench, Perez and Morgan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8XeTNH9P3A

These were the days when players would smoke in the dugout and fans were able to rush the field after a game. Almost a lifetime away now days....

smootness
11-03-2016, 11:13 AM
I will agree this is probably the best WS of your lifetime if you're about 5.

SaintDawg
11-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Agreed. I'm a Sox fan too. Aside from '04, '07, and '13 when the Sox won, this is the only other WS that I watched all 7 games from start to finish. I hope this helps baseball get back into the spotlight. I loved the way the crowd was living and dying on every pitch. That's how it should be. Both teams played their asses off, but I'm glad the Cubbies won.

Dawg61
11-03-2016, 12:09 PM
I will agree this is probably the best WS of your lifetime if you're about 5.

Haha not even that old as Giants/Royals was a much better series than this one with Bumgarner singlehandedly beating a team. Marlins/Indians 97, DBack/Yanks 01, Angels/Giants 02, Dodgers/A's 88, Twins/Braves 91, Cards/Rangers 11 all better series than this one. Bandwagon Cubs fans just trying to add more hype to their win.

Fred Garvin
11-03-2016, 12:20 PM
please, I've tried to put that 91 series behind me. Ugh Damn Jack Morris. Not to mention the late Kirby Puckett in game 6. Was 11 years old and remember some of it like yesterday.

Not to mention the hip check by Hrbreck

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 12:35 PM

That asshole got away with an obstruction call in the 1987 World Series too. It's unbelievable.

BrunswickDawg
11-03-2016, 01:29 PM

I got over that. Lonnie "skates" Smith base running mistake in the 8th in Game 7 is what I will not get over. Dumb ass. Look at your damn 3rd base coach, not the ball. I learned that in Mustang ball

shoeless joe
11-03-2016, 01:47 PM
That asshole got away with an obstruction call in the 1987 World Series too. It's unbelievable.

I hated that whole squad. Looking back the only one I can even somewhat respect is jack Morris. They were dirty clowns that got away with a lot of that shit because of the influence of the crowd over the judgement of the umps.

Dawg61
11-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Heads up I got banned on SPS for this post

"Congrats to the city of Chicago and to the 1% of Cubs fans that were actual fans before the Cubs went Yankees style and bought Epstein and the team."

shoeless joe
11-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Heads up I got banned on SPS for this post

"Congrats to the city of Chicago and to the 1% of Cubs fans that were actual fans before the Cubs went Yankees style and bought Epstein and the team."

Been thinking about this myself. Pondering if the way they did things almost taints the fact that they finally won. Then I recalled that very few of their every day players weren't at some point in their farm system. I mean they threw a wad of cash at Heyward and he sucks. Other than some of the pitching they used good old fashion scouting, acquiring, and developing good young talent.

Dawg61
11-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Been thinking about this myself. Pondering if the way they did things almost taints the fact that they finally won. Then I recalled that very few of their every day players weren't at some point in their farm system. I mean they threw a wad of cash at Heyward and he sucks. Other than some of the pitching they used good old fashion scouting, acquiring, and developing good young talent.

Rizzo started his MLB career with the Padres and sucked ass so the Cubs raped him from the Padres. Good for them on that. Bryant, Contreras, Russell, Schwarber are home grown talents. Baez was an expensive sign from Cuba I believe. Lester is bought. Chapman, Zobrist and Fowler are bought. The real "bought" pieces are Epstein and Maddon though. I don't have any issues with how the Cubs went about it. I am just annoyed with the 99% bandwagoners who swear they have always been Cubs fan. Cubs really are the best team this year though so again Congrats to the city of Chicago and to the actual real Cubs fans. They certainly have gone through many painful years and now it is all worth it. They watched the shit and went through the pain and they deserve this. Bandwagoners do not deserve this. Can say that any year with any winning championship team though the Cubs are no different that way.

shoeless joe
11-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Rizzo started his MLB career with the Padres and sucked ass so the Cubs raped him from the Padres. Good for them on that. Bryant, Contreras, Russell, Schwarber are home grown talents. Baez was an expensive sign from Cuba I believe. Lester is bought. Chapman, Zobrist and Fowler are bought. The real "bought" pieces are Epstein and Maddon though. I don't have any issues with how the Cubs went about it. I am just annoyed with the 99% bandwagoners who swear they have always been Cubs fan. Cubs really are the best team this year though so again Congrats to the city of Chicago and to the actual real Cubs fans. They certainly have gone through many painful years and now it is all worth it. They watched the shit and went through the pain and they deserve this. Bandwagoners do not deserve this. Can say that any year with any winning championship team though the Cubs are no different that way.

Going all Yankees would mean signing guys at the peak of their careers for an astronomical price that no one else can compete with. Other than Heyward that isn't how they went about it. Every elite team has a veteran free agent presence and almost all have a deadline deal to bring someone in. Not sure what you want out of them to make them legit...

But I do agree about the bandwagon cub fans.

Dawg61
11-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Going all Yankees would mean signing guys at the peak of their careers for an astronomical price that no one else can compete with. Other than Heyward that isn't how they went about it. Every elite team has a veteran free agent presence and almost all have a deadline deal to bring someone in. Not sure what you want out of them to make them legit...

But I do agree about the bandwagon cub fans.

They are legit I am not saying they aren't. They just aren't an underdog. They have been the favorite all year long and deservedly so as they are the best team and have been all year long. I guess I am bothered that people are acting like they are David or Cinderella and that isn't the case at all. Really I am just bothered by bandwagoners haha. Good World Series though I was definitely entertained. Rajai Davis homerun off Chapman was electric.