PDA

View Full Version : CCA brings the heat (re:Red Snapper in LA)

BeastMan
11-02-2016, 04:48 PM
http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/11/cca_head_blasts_wildlife_fishe.html#incart_river_i ndex

Thanks god somebody is calling that clown out.

Uncle Ruckus
11-03-2016, 10:15 AM
You would not believe the amount of snapper in our waters. My brother dives all year off ours and AL's coast and he said you have to fight thru those suckers when it's not season. At my previous job I got to fish basically ever day as long as the weather cooperated. Anyway, just about every place we fished was nothing but hundreds on snapper. I'm not exaggerating when I say hundreds. The underwater feed we'd get when we were in really shallow waters (less than 1000 feet) would be nothing than a sea of red. These things aren't on the decline. They're thriving.

BeastMan
11-03-2016, 10:55 AM
You would not believe the amount of snapper in our waters. My brother dives all year off ours and AL's coast and he said you have to fight thru those suckers when it's not season. At my previous job I got to fish basically ever day as long as the weather cooperated. Anyway, just about every place we fished was nothing but hundreds on snapper. I'm not exaggerating when I say hundreds. The underwater feed we'd get when we were in really shallow waters (less than 1000 feet) would be nothing than a sea of red. These things aren't on the decline. They're thriving.

No doubt. I've followed this Charlie Melaconin fella who is head of LWFD by appointment and he has went 180 from every single person and agency in LA. He supports the nothing his constituents want. He's pro fed, anti recreational, and wants to join eliminate a season. If you didn't know any better, you'd think he's curupt and on the payroll.

Uncle Ruckus
11-03-2016, 11:45 AM
A corrupt government employee? Yeah right....
Who needs federal waters anyway. Good friend of mine catches his limit inside of Horn every time he went out this year. I don't know where he goes but it blew my mind on the amount and size they were catching on a consistent basic that close in. I've caught juvenile mangroves in the sound before but never a red. Father-in-law's friend hooked up to a sailfish in the sound as well. That ones a little hard for me to believe though.

BeastMan
11-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Who needs federal waters anyway. Good friend of mine catches his limit inside of Horn every time he went out this year. I don't know where he goes but it blew my mind on the amount and size they were catching on a consistent basic that close in. I've caught juvenile mangroves in the sound before but never a red. Father-in-law's friend hooked up to a sailfish in the sound as well. That ones a little hard for me to believe though.

You're right that you don't really need a fed season, it's just the principle. Weather permitting, we fish LA state water near Chandy and it's loaded with snapper as soon as you get 30+ feet.

Johnson85
11-03-2016, 12:44 PM

I think your friend is screwing with you and he's going to federal waters. Don't think there's anywhere inside of horn that would get deep enough for red snapper.

I have been told that MS is not concerned with enforcing federal limits on red snapper, so as long as you can make it to state waters without getting stopped by feds, and don't do anything so blatant as to force anybody's hand (e.g., post a bunch of info on facebook), that you are home free. That just came from a fisherman, not anybody official, so take it with a grain of salt.

Uncle Ruckus
11-03-2016, 01:27 PM
No, hea telling the truth, I may just be wrong on the location. It may not be inside horn but I know it's in state waters, 1. Hie has a small, small boat that may would make it to federal waters on the calmest of days. 2. He'd go before work and wouldn't have enough time to make a big run. I know it's hard to believe, but he's not the only person doing it. View some MS saltwater forums and you'll see it's not uncommon.

BeastMan
11-03-2016, 02:30 PM
There are a ton of snapper in state water on the Fish Haven's that lie in state waters. I caught a 6 man limit on them in july. They are south of Horn and Ship. Now, I have heard that there are a few spots inside of Petis Bois and Horn that hold red snapper. All you need is 30ish feet or water and a reef or wreck. There are numerous of both that aren't marked on any map. If I really really wanted to know those spots there are some folks that I could start asking but I would never. It's kind of respect thing. They found the spots and want them semi-private and I respect that 100%.

For reference, we run a 22 foot bay boat and when it's really calm, we can make a run to snapper waters easily. We like fishing the LA waters for them though because when you get out there, you're in the middle of nowhere. No pressure whatsoever. The first spot we catch snapper is in 30 feet of water and is nothing more than a few pipes sticking out of the ground. You wont land any monsters but we know we can trout fish in the morning and go grab a quick limit of red snapper. Snapper are literally loaded on every piece or structure, natural or unnatural, in the gulf. It's crazy.

Uncle Ruckus
11-03-2016, 03:22 PM
It really is amazing how many of them there are and they want to shut us down

BeastMan
11-03-2016, 03:48 PM
It really is amazing how many of them there are and they want to shut us down

It's more of a money/power grab by the government more than anything imo. I don't understand how they can do a stock assessment and say they're down.

SpeckleDawg
11-03-2016, 03:48 PM
I've never been a snapper fisherman myself - maybe go once every couple years, but this has been such a crazy mess. I remember thinking how pissed I would be if ridiculous regs started on trout around here......

BeastMan
11-03-2016, 03:54 PM
I've never been a snapper fisherman myself - maybe go once every couple years, but this has been such a crazy mess. I remember thinking how pissed I would be if ridiculous regs started on trout around here......

Lol. You wouldn't be talking a season closure would you?** That said, I trust our state's management judgement more than the Feds.