PDA

View Full Version : BYU Fan looking to fly to travel to Starkville in 2017.

Revolution
11-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Hey there. I'm looking to come to Starksville next October and I'm looking at options to fly to the area. Are Jackson and Montgomery the best options for decent sized airports, or are there others closer to Starkville that offer Delta and some of the other major airlines?

Thanks. #HailState #WinOut #GoCougs

Jarius
11-01-2016, 03:21 PM
I would check out Memphis as well. Memphis and Jackson are pretty similar in driving distance, with Jackson being about 30 minutes closer. Birmingham is about the same as Jackson as well.

Revolution
11-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks. Memphis would be a fun place to visit.

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2016, 03:24 PM
The closest major airport would probably be Memphis, TN which is a couple hours away. Memphis and Jackson are close to the same distance although Jackson would be an easier drive probably. Columbus and Tupelo are both smaller airports but would be the closest drives.

Just a side note: It is Starkville without the extra s. Hope you enjoy the trip next year but not the game. Eat some great BBQ.

Cloak
11-01-2016, 03:38 PM
You could fly into GTR, it's a regional airport that I believe only services Delta. Whenever I fly out of Starkville I use this airport as the prices sometimes are about the same as flying out of Memphis/Jackson. GTR stands for Golden Triangle and is about a 20 minute, if even, drive from campus.

Revolution
11-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Great. I'll check out prices for GTR also if they get Delta flights. It'd be nice to not have to drive a lot prior to the game.

And hopefully we'll have a lot of Cougs there to watch another thriller... end with another BYU victory.

Good luck against Louisville this week.

And as noted above: S-T-A-R-K-V-I-L-L-E. *mental note made*

nsvltndog
11-01-2016, 03:50 PM
If you want to use GTR for a football weekend I would book the flight 6 months in advance. It's very convenient, 15-20 minutes from campus, but flights are limited to 3 regional jets per day on Delta through Atlanta so they get very pricey on football weekends.

I saw your original post referenced Montgomery. You don't want to do that. Either fly into GTR or if the rates are too high compare Birmingham, Jackson, and Memphis for the best fare. Memphis is the farthest of the 3, but may have the most options.

RocketDawg
11-01-2016, 04:00 PM
I would choose Memphis over Birmingham or Jackson ... you're likely to have more scheduling options, and it's also likely to cost less. Birmingham is about 150 miles away, and Jackson is about 125. Not sure about Memphis. The local airport, Golden Triangle Regional, is maybe 15 miles away but has very limited scheduling options.

Montgomery is no choice at all ... they have a very small airport.

dawgs
11-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Memphis is likely to cost less?? I've lived away from Mississippi since 2004 and I've only flown into Memphis maybe twice in that time because prices are always ridiculously high. Used to flight into Birmingham regularly but haven't in probably 4 or 5 years. Seems like Jackson has been the best prices recently. And I've also flown into New Orleans a few times and tacked on a couple of days down there before flying out. But yeah, back to Memphis, check the rates, but in my experience, it's consistently one of the most ridiculously priced airports in the country.

Taog Redloh
11-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Great. I'll check out prices for GTR also if they get Delta flights. It'd be nice to not have to drive a lot prior to the game.

And hopefully we'll have a lot of Cougs there to watch another thriller... end with another BYU victory.

What a clown. Go ahead and throw in a Dan Mullins too while you're in the good gettin', troll boy.

Gutter Cobreh
11-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Hey there. I'm looking to come to Starksville next October and I'm looking at options to fly to the area. Are Jackson and Montgomery the best options for decent sized airports, or are there others closer to Starkville that offer Delta and some of the other major airlines?

You edited, yet still messed up typing "Starkville".

Did your 2nd or 3rd wife distract you while you were making the edit?

Bothrops
11-01-2016, 05:01 PM

Unless you want to visit Memphis, GTR is by far the best option, as it's only 14 miles from campus. You can go SLC-ATL-GTR. SLC to MEM, JAN, or BHM will also require a stop in ATL if you fly Delta.

missouridawg
11-01-2016, 05:04 PM

We really don't have a good answer for Lamar Jackson. He is an excellent football player.

msstatelp1
11-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Memphis is likely to cost less?? I've lived away from Mississippi since 2004 and I've only flown into Memphis maybe twice in that time because prices are always ridiculously high. Used to flight into Birmingham regularly but haven't in probably 4 or 5 years. Seems like Jackson has been the best prices recently. And I've also flown into New Orleans a few times and tacked on a couple of days down there before flying out. But yeah, back to Memphis, check the rates, but in my experience, it's consistently one of the most ridiculously priced airports in the country.

Since Southwest came onboard, its forced the other airlines to lower their prices.

Liverpooldawg
11-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Since Southwest came onboard, its forced the other airlines to lower their prices.

Memphis isn't a hub anymore though. That used to be a very busy airport, now not so much.

Liverpooldawg
11-01-2016, 05:16 PM
One other option is Huntsville Alabama. It's a bit farther away but there are quite a few flights in and out of there. If you cut through the country, and its not a bad drive, it's about 3 hours.

missouridawg
11-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Memphis isn't a hub anymore though. That used to be a very busy airport, now not so much.

He is right about prices though. United from Houston to Memphis used to be over $600 round trip. When Southwest opened there, it immediately dropped most HOU-MEM flights to $250 or lower.

Bothrops
11-01-2016, 05:46 PM
It's amazing how small the market at MEM really is since it dehubbed. If it weren't for FedEx that place would dry up.

Maroonthirteen
11-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Yeah, the Louisville bit took it too far.

Btw, Liverpool is correct. memphis fares are the most expensive around the region.

FISHDAWG
11-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks. Memphis would be a fun place to visit.

not without a gun .... Delta usually has several flights into Jackson but you will probably have to go through Atlanta first ... you can probably get a direct flight into Memphis ... Welcome in advance - I hear your fanbase is pretty cool

Dallas_Dawg
11-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Birmingham and Memphis are the best bets as far as money goes. Jackson is usually more expensive the last few years for me
GTR will be about $600+

thf24
11-01-2016, 08:09 PM
not without a gun ....

I wish people would stop spreading this bullshit. Outside of a few self-contained areas (which are admittedly very bad) that aren't easy to just stumble into, Memphis isn't any more dangerous than most cities of its size.

blacklistedbully
11-01-2016, 09:08 PM
You might also consider coming early and flying into New Orleans instead. It's a longer drive (probably about 4-5 hours), but NO is a place every adult should visit at least twice (once during and once not during Mardi Gras). You could enjoy NO, then on your way to Starkville visit Vicksburg and Natchez (particularly if you are a Civil War buff). The Natchez Trace is a nice and historic drive as well.

Taog Redloh
11-01-2016, 09:11 PM
MSU fans should be promoting GTR and to a lesser extent, Jackson-Evers. The viability of those airports speaks to the viability of the state.

We have way too many Mississippians who are too willing to just go out of state for everything.

Jack Lambert
11-01-2016, 09:17 PM

Are you LDS?

EliteDawgEnforcer
11-01-2016, 10:16 PM

Boston Man I see. A quick look comparing prices of flights in the spring, Memphis actually has the best prices flying in on a Friday and leaving on a sunday. $351 vs B-ham at $486, Jackson at $546 and straight into GTR at $541.
Depending on how much you want to see the state and spend on a Car rental and such, I would say save the $200 and fly into Memphis and enjoy the trip.

What a clown. Go ahead and throw in a Dan Mullins too while you're in the good gettin', troll boy.

Goat. You really should stop. You have no clue about anyone.

EliteDawgEnforcer
11-01-2016, 10:18 PM

MSU fans should be promoting GTR and to a lesser extent, Jackson-Evers. The viability of those airports speaks to the viability of the state.

We have way too many Mississippians who are too willing to just go out of state for everything.

As I pointed out to our visitor, save the money and flying into a cheaper option ... if you are going to have to drive anyways... and then spend that money in-state instead..especially on lodging and dining within Starkville.

Bothrops
11-01-2016, 10:36 PM

Exactly! If people want more access to and from Starkville, and have it easier to get to for student/recruiting prospects, we need to promote GTR. We aren't going to get anymore flight options if people don't use it.

Bothrops
11-01-2016, 10:42 PM

Exactly! If people want more access to and from Starkville, and have it easier to get to for student/recruiting prospects, we need to promote GTR. We aren't going to get anymore flight options if people don't use it.

TUSK
11-01-2016, 10:55 PM
If I become a Mormon, can I marry BOTH my sisters?

Bully13
11-01-2016, 11:00 PM

I hope you miss the flight and get detained in Atlanta for unknown reasons.

Dawg61
11-02-2016, 01:45 AM
Goat. You really should stop. You have no clue about anyone.

Goat is right for calling the guy out for misspelling Starkville and inferring we are Boston College (where Mullen rumors are present). It certainly smells trollish

FISHDAWG
11-02-2016, 07:20 AM
I wish people would stop spreading this bullshit. Outside of a few self-contained areas (which are admittedly very bad) that aren't easy to just stumble into, Memphis isn't any more dangerous than most cities of its size.

I have been to Memphis many times and it's a cesspool ... sell this crap to someone else because I'm not buying it

Jack Lambert
11-02-2016, 07:51 AM
If I become a Mormon, can I marry BOTH my sisters?

Being a Bama fan you probably already have.

thf24
11-02-2016, 07:55 AM
I have been to Memphis many times and it's a cesspool ... sell this crap to someone else because I'm not buying it

"Many times" eh. Guess you've got me beat since I only actually live here and all. Don't buy it if you want, just be aware you're misleading people when you spread this image of Memphis being a constant warzone where you get robbed the moment you set foot inside the city limits.

I will say to the OP, however, that Memphis is pretty disappointing as a tourist attraction. Graceland isn't anything special and very overpriced, Beale Street is a pretty average downtown strip with a few iconic spots to snap a picture... not much else. The new Bass Pro Shops is pretty neat and honestly now downtown's best attraction. What I'm saying is, fly into Memphis for sure, but you're not missing much if you don't stick around before going to or after returning from Starkville.

msstatelp1
11-02-2016, 07:57 AM

Memphis is just like any other blue collar town. There's good places to be and there's bad places to avoid. Honestly I feel safer going downtown Memphis than I do downtown Jackson. ANY city is a cesspool if you go to the wrong places.

Duckdog
11-02-2016, 09:20 AM
hell, i didn't think y'all were allowed to ride on planes

TUSK
11-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Being a Bama fan you probably already have.

That was the point of the joke, Jack...

"Bammer fans marry their sisters".... if I was a Bammer-Mormon, I could marry multiple sisters....

see?

Liverpooldawg
11-02-2016, 09:44 AM
GTR is not always significantly higher. I fly out of there from time to time.

Revolution
11-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input on this thread.

Answers for those who asked questions:
(1) Yes. I'm LDS.
(2) Yes. I'm in Boston.
(3) Sorry about the whole Starkville thing. Wasn't a troll. I learn best after repetition.
(4) I have one wife and to whom I'm very loyal, and I expect the same from her. I'm not particularly interested in going into the who polygamy thing on a fan forum page. But if you're curious about the subject, there are plenty of books out there that can explain various sides, or heck, you could probably find some Mormon missionaries in the area who are willing to come to your house and talk to you about the subject.

And regarding Mullen to BC. I haven't heard anything about that. I work with a lot of BC guys, including boosters, and the whisperings are that they are going to suffer through another year of Addazio prior to firing him. The current AD has one more year left at $3 Million per year, and they don't want him choosing the next HC. The AD isn't going to be rehired since BC Basketball and Football are arguably the worst in ACC. Also, BC Hockey, which is as important to them as any other sport, despite being stacked athletically, has also underperformed.

Also, with LSU and possibly Texas being open this year, its going to be thin on the top for teams looking for a new head coach.

Lastly, just a PSA regarding the religion subject. Attacking us for our beliefs doesn't exactly endear us to your fan base. I realize that those of you who do probably don't care that we get defensive as soon as you start talking about polygamy and other hot button subjects. But if you want to make a good impression on us stick to talking to us about our football team, tell us about yours, and compliment our fans. We can tolerate a jab or two, but some of us, me especially, do have thin skin when it comes to our faith. We just want to see a good game on the field and have a quality experience visiting a new area.

Looking forward to seeing y'all.

Jack Lambert
11-02-2016, 10:10 AM

(1) Yes. I'm LDS.
(2) Yes. I'm in Boston.
(3) Sorry about the whole Starkville thing. Wasn't a troll. I learn best after repetition.
(4) I have one wife and to whom I'm very loyal, and I expect the same from her. I'm not particularly interested in going into the who polygamy thing on a fan forum page. But if you're curious about the subject, there are plenty of books out there that can explain various sides, or heck, you could probably find some Mormon missionaries in the area who are willing to come to your house and talk to you about the subject.

And regarding Mullen to BC. I haven't heard anything about that. I work with a lot of BC guys, including boosters, and the whisperings are that they are going to suffer through another year of Addazio prior to firing him. The current AD has one more year left at $3 Million per year, and they don't want him choosing the next HC. The AD isn't going to be rehired since BC Basketball and Football are arguably the worst in ACC. Also, BC Hockey, which is as important to them as any other sport, despite being stacked athletically, has also underperformed.

Also, with LSU and possibly Texas being open this year, its going to be thin on the top for teams looking for a new head coach.

Lastly, just a PSA regarding the religion subject. Attacking us for our beliefs doesn't exactly endear us to your fan base. I realize that those of you who do probably don't care that we get defensive as soon as you start talking about polygamy and other hot button subjects. But if you want to make a good impression on us stick to talking to us about our football team, tell us about yours, and compliment our fans. We can tolerate a jab or two, but some of us, me especially, do have thin skin when it comes to our faith. We just want to see a good game on the field and have a quality experience visiting a new area.

This board is pretty good about stopping bashing of religion. Check you Personal Message.

Dawg61
11-02-2016, 10:19 AM

(1) Yes. I'm LDS.
(2) Yes. I'm in Boston.

You're gonna need some thick skin to interact with MSU fans. We are the runt of the SEC and we live in the poorest state in the country with terrible stereotypes attached to us. We get shit talked/thrown our way from ERRRRRRRYBODY so you can be a big boy and handle a couple mormon jokes I would hope.

Liverpooldawg
11-02-2016, 10:32 AM

(1) Yes. I'm LDS.
(2) Yes. I'm in Boston.

The religion stuff was out of line, even for this board. I'm sorry it happened.

FISHDAWG
11-02-2016, 11:22 AM

+1 ... well said Liverpool

Dawgbite
11-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Since we have broached the subject of religion there is something I have been thinking about lately. What percentage of people actually choose there religion instead of it just being a product of their environment and family history? I'm a Methodist because my father was a methodist and his father was a methodist. My grandfather was a methodist because the church was within walking distance of their farm and it was easier to walk than hitch the wagon and travel 7 miles to the Presbyterian church. How many people actually explore other religions and make an educated decision on what religion is best for them? What are the odds that I would even be a christian much less a Methodist had I been born in the middle east or southeast asia to non anglican parents?

Revolution
11-02-2016, 11:31 AM

Thanks.

gravedigger
11-02-2016, 01:49 PM

will you be flying in from Porno Utah

Gutter Cobreh
11-02-2016, 01:56 PM

But if you want to make a good impression on us stick to talking to us about our football team, tell us about yours, and compliment our fans. We can tolerate a jab or two, but some of us, me especially, do have thin skin when it comes to our faith. We just want to see a good game on the field and have a quality experience visiting a new area.

Another PSA; if you want to endear yourself to the board - ensure you know the opponent before wishing good luck.

Also, I'm still asked whether I grew up with a floor in my home as most believe those from MS have dirt floors. If you are that sensitive about polygamy, then I would advise not going on the internet period (much less this site). My comment about your 2nd or 3rd wife was a joke. I suppose I should have used a :) to note that. I apologize since obviously you were offended.

AusTexDawg
11-02-2016, 02:21 PM

Agree with Liverpool.

Bothrops
11-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Like I mentioned before, GTR is very convenient, but if you want to fly into Memphis, and do a day tour, there's a good bit to see. I would recommend any patriotic American, or music enthusiast to visit Graceland. Plus, if you like blues/rock history, and pork BBQ, downtown Memphis is the place.

RocketDawg
11-02-2016, 04:52 PM

Why? I don't live there. If anything, I should be promoting the Huntsville airport, but assumed he wouldn't want to drive 200 miles.

RocketDawg
11-02-2016, 04:58 PM

(1) Yes. I'm LDS.
(2) Yes. I'm in Boston.

I agree and I'm embarrassed by those who do it.

Taog Redloh
11-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Why? I don't live there. If anything, I should be promoting the Huntsville airport, but assumed he wouldn't want to drive 200 miles.

Do I really need to explain why successful Mississippi airports would benefit the state of Mississippi and therefore MSU? Are you that dumb? i assume you actually care about MSU or you wouldn't be here.

Viable airports do a lot for your community besides transportation.

sleepy dawg
11-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Since we have broached the subject of religion there is something I have been thinking about lately. What percentage of people actually choose there religion instead of it just being a product of their environment and family history? I'm a Methodist because my father was a methodist and his father was a methodist. My grandfather was a methodist because the church was within walking distance of their farm and it was easier to walk than hitch the wagon and travel 7 miles to the Presbyterian church. How many people actually explore other religions and make an educated decision on what religion is best for them? What are the odds that I would even be a christian much less a Methodist had I been born in the middle east or southeast asia to non anglican parents?

Probably close to 0%.

RocketDawg
11-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Do I really need to explain why successful Mississippi airports would benefit the state of Mississippi and therefore MSU? Are you that dumb? i assume you actually care about MSU or you wouldn't be here.

Viable airports do a lot for your community besides transportation.

Made it through MSU's aerospace engineering curriculum with flying colors. Whaddyou think?

I don't really think the Jackson airport's success has much direct effect on MSU. GTR does, or could, but face it ... there's just not that many people living in the area, so the airport isn't going to get much more active anytime in the near future.

Back to the original subject though ... if I were the OP and traveling alone, I think I'd fly Boston to Atlanta to GTR. It's not that much more expensive than Memphis for one person, and a lot more convenient and might be faster. More than one ... I'd go into Memphis and do the drive. Their airport's on the south side so the drive down would be fairly easy and there are no cities to go through.