PDA

View Full Version : Dak gets another magazine cover. ESPN The Magazine.

DancingRabbit
11-01-2016, 01:08 PM
Also read that Jerry is hinting that he may stick with Dak after Romo is healthy enough to play. Something to the effect of "you've got to recognize the chemistry situation when making that decision." I think Tony will come off the bench to knock the rust off a few weeks down the road.

After Dak pulled out the win after playing poorly for most of the game, his OC Linehan said today there would be some good teaching opportunities this week. He said you hate to beat up a guy in the film room after a loss because they feel awful anyway, but after an ugly win you can be brutally honest.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwGZsM3WcAATgVH.jpg:large

Political Hack
11-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Great "growth" week for Dak. He's got to be comfortable under pressure when he can't escape the pocket. The brought the heat a good bit while also being gap sound. That's hard to do and they did it well. He won't have to deal with stuff like that much until the playoffs when everybody he plays against has a great defense, but that's a huge week for him to get a win against that kind of defense.

Political Hack
11-01-2016, 01:42 PM
To add: someone quoted Jerry as saying something along the lines of "sometimes you have to play the hot hand."

Taog Redloh
11-01-2016, 02:02 PM
You guys wanting to get rid of Dan Mullen, ask yourself this - are you willing to give up all the buzz that Dak is creating? I think we need to ride this train further.

Commercecomet24
11-01-2016, 02:13 PM
You guys wanting to get rid of Dan Mullen, ask yourself this - are you willing to give up all the buzz that Dak is creating? I think we need to ride this train further.

I'm with you on this, especially with the way dak keeps talking about how much his coaching at State helped prepare him for NFL. I know we hated the air raid we ran but it's a big part of the reason he's having success now. He said it himself about how much our offense and passing game was like the NFL game. And don't discount the Dak syndrome in recruiting. It's gonna be big but we have to capitalize on it!

maroonmania
11-01-2016, 02:29 PM

I'm fine with giving Mullen more time to turn things around if he makes staff changes that are OBVIOUS to anyone need to be made (#1 change - OL coach). However, I'm very concerned that if Mullen is pushed on that he will just give everyone the middle finger and say he will run his staff as he wants. If he does that we are left with the options of letting him keep his buddies all the while knowing we are likely just delaying the inevitable another year OR a Cutcliffe situation where we go ahead and force him out because of his unwillingness to do the things he needs to do to have a long term successful program. And I would hate to change the DC position again but if we keep spiraling downward on the defensive side I'm not sure you can continue the Sirmon experiment. At this point I even miss Manny.

DancingRabbit
11-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Jerry Jones comments today ... last one is interesting.

"You want to be very mindful of what you got going, which right now we got a lot of chemistry going," the Cowboys owner and GM said. "That has got to be really recognized if you're making a decision."

Jones, who after Sunday night's win over the Eagles announced that Prescott would start this Sunday at Cleveland, provided no update on when Romo will return.

Romo returned to practice last week in a limited role, throwing in some individual drills and in scout team work. Head coach Jason Garrett said Romo would do more of the same this week.

"I know that Tony is making a lot of progress," Jones said. "I do think that unquestionably he's going to be ready to go at some point near the end of the year. We'll be able to evaluate things at that time."

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm fine with giving Mullen more time to turn things around if he makes staff changes that are OBVIOUS to anyone need to be made (#1 change - OL coach). However, I'm very concerned that if Mullen is pushed on that he will just give everyone the middle finger and say he will run his staff as he wants. If he does that we are left with the options of letting him keep his buddies all the while knowing we are likely just delaying the inevitable another year OR a Cutcliffe situation where we go ahead and force him out because of his unwillingness to do the things he needs to do to have a long term successful program. And I would hate to change the DC position again but if we keep spiraling downward on the defensive side I'm not sure you can continue the Sirmon experiment. At this point I even miss Manny.

1st time Defensive Coordinator who has to run the Dan Mullen defense. I wonder if Sirmon wanted to run the 3-4 or if Dan changed the scheme also. Too many moving pieces to go with an entire new defensive staff. Then add a lack of leadership on both sides of the ball and I don't know if we could have gotten any DC who would have been successful. Any great DC isn't going to come work for Dan and be told how they will run their defense.

Sirmon might be a bust but it seems like he was set up to fail from the start.

yjnkdawg
11-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Jerry Jones comments today ... last one is interesting.

Several NFL Anaylists said that Tony Romo was healthy and could play now, and if Dallas had gotten beat by Philly, you would have seen him starting against Cleveland. Jones can't afford to pull Dak and start Romo when Dak keeps winning, but he has too much money invested in Romo and he kind of looks as Romo being like his son to keep him on the bench., is what some of these Analysists have said. So it appears that Jones has Dak on a game to game starter basis, which is not fair to Dak and puts more pressure on him.

Dawgface
11-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Several NFL Anaylists said that Tony Romo was healthy and could play now, and if Dallas had gotten beat by Philly, you would have seen him starting against Cleveland. Jones can't afford to pull Dak and start Romo when Dak keeps winning, but he has too much money invested in Romo and he kind of looks as Romo being like his son to keep him on the bench., is what some of these Analysists have said. So it appears that Jones has Dak on a game to game starter basis, which is not fair to Dak and puts more pressure on him.

Definitely puts pressure on Dak in the short term. But in the long run, this is great experience. I can't believe Romo will be a Cowboy too much longer.

DancingRabbit
11-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Maybe Tony "could" play now, but he hasn't gone through a real practice yet - and probably won't this week either. Talk in Dallas one week ago was Dak would start against Philly and Cleveland. Beyond that was up in the air.

What analysts are you referring to? The whole "too much money to sit him on the bench" deal is ignorant IMO. Jerry is the GM and the owner. It's money already spent. Jerry is loyal to players he likes but nothing matters more than winning to him. Jerry has the final word but he'll listen to Garrett.

Dak played poorly for most of the game last night. His defense, coach (and Philly's coach) gave him a chance to redeem himself and he finished the game like a boss.

After seeing how the blitzing got Dak flustered, he and his OC better get ready because teams will be copying that blueprint.

yjnkdawg
11-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Maybe Tony "could" play now, but he hasn't gone through a real practice yet - and probably won't this week either. Talk in Dallas one week ago was Dak would start against Philly and Cleveland. Beyond that was up in the air.

What analysts are you referring to? The whole "too much money to sit him on the bench" deal is ignorant IMO. Jerry is the GM and the owner. It's money already spent. Jerry is loyal to players he likes but nothing matters more than winning to him. Jerry has the final word but he'll listen to Garrett.

Dak played poorly for most of the game last night. His defense, coach (and Philly's coach) gave him a chance to redeem himself and he finished the game like a boss.

After seeing how the blitzing got Dak flustered, he and his OC better get ready because teams will be copying that blueprint.

Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe of FoxSports

http://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/skip-bayless-explains-how-the-dallas-cowboys-are-treating-dak-prescott-unfairly-undisputed-103116?cmpid=feed:-sports-RAMP-Cxense

drunkernhelldawg
11-01-2016, 09:39 PM

I don't see it that way. I think it's more that Romo is not yet ready. When he is ready, we're likely to see him play. Dak is doing great things. It's like a dream for all MSU fans. A legend grows larger. But it seems to me that Romo can do some things that Dak's can't and that his experience will be too much to bench at the tortuous finish of the NFL season and the playoffs. I think that even if (when) Romo gets the start, Dak will still take snaps and play a significant role.

drunkernhelldawg
11-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Spectacular cover. Couldn't be better.

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2016, 09:54 PM

There isn't more than a handful of QBs in the league that could handle what Dak had thrown at him. Philly has a great defense.

Commercecomet24
11-01-2016, 10:03 PM
There isn't more than a handful of QBs in the league that could handle what Dak had thrown at him. Philly has a great defense.

Yep that philly defense destroyed Big Ben and the steelers, held them to 3 points. Dak acquitted himself extremely well!

DancingRabbit
11-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe of FoxSports

http://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/skip-bayless-explains-how-the-dallas-cowboys-are-treating-dak-prescott-unfairly-undisputed-103116?cmpid=feed:-sports-RAMP-Cxense

No offense, but that's nothing but a clown show.

You can get legit Cowboys news here
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys

drunkernhelldawg

Your last sentence is spot on. The honeymoon always has to end. I didn't mention the money thing in my reply to this, but I do agree with you. That has zero to do with it.

Tbonewannabe
Yep that philly defense destroyed Big Ben and the steelers, held them to 3 points. Dak acquitted himself extremely well!

Also just made Bradford look like he should be playing intramural football.

drunkernhelldawg
11-01-2016, 10:07 PM

For sure. Marvelous long pass to 88. Int was ugly, but other than that beautiful work.

Cooterpoot
11-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Romo won't start the next 3 games. He's still not ready. After those, we'll see. But if Dak keeps winning, he's going to be too big to pull.

Commercecomet24
11-01-2016, 10:15 PM
One thing to take into account outside of winning games, Jerry Jones is an attention whore and daks getting him more attention than he's gotten in awhile and he loved every minute of it. He ain't messing with that.

DancingRabbit
11-01-2016, 10:32 PM

Philly does indeed have a bad-ass defense. I thought the OC called a bad game, but Dak can play better than he did for most of the game.

He's lucky he didn't throw 3 picks. His good mechanics and great progressions we've been seeing disappeared for 3+ quarters. He was fortunate to get an opportunity to pull out the win, but he never gave up and played great down the stretch.

Commercecomet24
11-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Philly does indeed have a bad-ass defense. I thought the OC called a bad game, but Dak can play better than he did for most of the game.

He's lucky he didn't throw 3 picks. His good mechanics and great progressions we've been seeing disappeared for 3+ quarters. He was fortunate to get an opportunity to pull out the win, but he never gave up and played great down the stretch.

That's what makes the difference between elite and mediocre, being able to win when you don't have your best stuff.

DancingRabbit
11-01-2016, 10:58 PM
That's what makes the difference between elite and mediocre, being able to win when you don't have your best stuff.

Yeah, we all know that Dak has that IT factor. In the long run it's probably beneficial for him to have an off game but still get the win. He'll learn a lot this week.

Commercecomet24
11-01-2016, 11:53 PM
Yeah, we all know that Dak has that IT factor. In the long run it's probably beneficial for him to have an off game but still get the win. He'll learn a lot this week.

Exactly right.

Sienfield
11-02-2016, 08:26 AM
"You want to be very mindful of what you got going, which right now we got a lot of chemistry going," the Cowboys owner and GM said. "That has got to be really recognized if you're making a decision."

Gold Jerry, Gold

dawgday166
11-02-2016, 12:28 PM

Might help with getting highly rated QBs. And I personally think Fitz will develop into a pretty good QB. But someone has to block for the QBs.