PDA

View Full Version : Our history has a lot of wins because of shut down defense

drunkernhelldawg
10-31-2016, 04:20 PM
Long way from that now. The one thing that gives me a smidgen of hope is that the contemporary game seems to favor the offense as you see almost every college defense giving up big chunks of yardage. We gave up 600 yards to Samford, so it seems like we should give up 800 or 1000 to Bama or A and M. However, we are just as likely to keep it under 500 with those two.

Also, I put a lot of the big plays on the coaches for third down blitzes. Samford is a small school, but they've got big athletes on the field.

Commercecomet24
10-31-2016, 04:26 PM
The no defense problem is nationwide and its now infected the SEC. The only top notch defenses in the West are Bama and LSU the rest give up chunks of yards and points. In the East theres only Florida and the rest are awful. Its all over. Watch a Big 12 or PAC12 game if you think our defense is bad. Its a different era now, but Winning big always comes down to defense.

Todd4State
10-31-2016, 05:13 PM
We are never going to get enough talent in consistently to play soft zone and rush 3-4 all game long.

See the 1980 Bulldog BLITZ, Joe Lee Dunn, etc.

Commercecomet24
10-31-2016, 06:37 PM
We are never going to get enough talent in consistently to play soft zone and rush 3-4 all game long.

See the 1980 Bulldog BLITZ, Joe Lee Dunn, etc.

Yep we gotta get more aggressive.

tcdog70
10-31-2016, 09:02 PM
We have nothing to lose. The soft zone ain't the answer. Blitz five or six and man up.

Duckdog
11-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Bring back JLD!!!!!

Hypnodawg
11-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Bring back JLD!!!!!

THIS.... back when watching the defense take the field made me feel good.

Taog Redloh
11-01-2016, 09:26 AM
This is a great point, most all of our top seasons have revolved around defense. Not to mention that MS produces a lot of defensive talent.

I'm not advocating hiring a defensive background guy for head coach or anything, but a premium needs to be placed on coordinator who knows what he is doing and knows how to utilize DL and LB, which we typically have plenty of in this state.

I_Spy
11-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Everyone or someone I know at least knew our D was going to be a problem this year. Give all the new coaches a chance here. Just hope they gain experience, we know they are athletes just a learning year. I've been watching Dallas and OM - happy every week yo!

We overhyped and the 'someone I know' was right so truly it's expected but we need to be competitive next year and new head coach is not realistic unless it's Saban and he would need 3 yrs to turn this around lol

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Our best wins have been more from defense than offense. Just thinking back to our run to #1, LSU, AU, and A&M had big defensive plays that got the team going more than anything. We have very rarely won a shoot out with a good or great team but we have won defensive battles. If you think back to the biggest wins, you can pretty much remember a big defensive play that wins the game.

We have a better chance at having an elite defense just because of the talent in MS produces those kind of players.

Taog Redloh
11-01-2016, 04:10 PM
Our best wins have been more from defense than offense. Just thinking back to our run to #1, LSU, AU, and A&M had big defensive plays that got the team going more than anything. We have very rarely won a shoot out with a good or great team but we have won defensive battles. If you think back to the biggest wins, you can pretty much remember a big defensive play that wins the game.

We have a better chance at having an elite defense just because of the talent in MS produces those kind of players.

YES