PDA

View Full Version : NFL OT rules are goofy

Maroonthirteen
10-30-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm glad my team and my boy, Dak, got the win. However, that was half a game in OT. The Eagles offense has played well tonight. They deserve an opportunity to answer.

But on the rule....what difference does it make if the 1st team scores a FG or TD? These are professional athletes. They can handle a 5th quarter. So what is the point of stopping the game on 1st possession TD?

msstate7
10-30-2016, 11:14 PM
Or a safety

Maroonthirteen
10-30-2016, 11:25 PM
Well, I understand ending the game on a safety. The defensive team would receive the ball on a free kick. So another possession would be pointless.

I just think the rule should be each team gets equal possession unless it is a defensive score. Then game over.

MetEdDawg
10-30-2016, 11:26 PM
Yeah I'm not a fan of how it's worked. I'll be honest, the whole tie thing pisses me off. I think you go to a kicker shootout. Best out of 5 from 35,40,45,50,and 55 yards. No rush, just a snapper, holder, and kicker. Watching teams walk off after a tie having no clue what happened sucks. There has to be a better way.

Bully13
10-30-2016, 11:31 PM
enjoyed Dak and the Boys winning the game but NFL O.T. sucks. that is NOT the way you end an athletic event. College O.T. beats the shit out of the NFL.

EngDawg
10-30-2016, 11:56 PM
NFL needs to go to a college style OT. Possibly move the starting position back a bit.

Reason2succeed
10-30-2016, 11:56 PM
What they ought to do on overtime at every level is the college overtime but with the teams starting at their own 25 and not their opponent's

dawgday166
10-31-2016, 07:23 AM
I'm glad my team and my boy, Dak, got the win. However, that was half a game in OT. The Eagles offense has played well tonight. They deserve an opportunity to answer.

But on the rule....what difference does it make if the 1st team scores a FG or TD? These are professional athletes. They can handle a 5th quarter. So what is the point of stopping the game on 1st possession TD?

Well it used to be sudden death. Any score ended the game.

mparkerfd20
10-31-2016, 08:59 AM
I prefer the NFL OT now to what it used to be, but believe a game should NEVER end in a tie. Go another OT if necessary.

spbdawg
10-31-2016, 09:18 AM
#

thf24
10-31-2016, 09:22 AM
Isn't that what we watched last night? sudden death? To call it OT is a misnomer.

A field goal on the first possession doesn't end the game. It's only sudden death if a single score of any amount at any time ends the game.

dawgday166
10-31-2016, 03:49 PM
nm

Pinto
10-31-2016, 04:42 PM
I say college rules except you start at the 45 or 50.

drunkernhelldawg
10-31-2016, 04:44 PM
I think they ought to take turns trying two point conversions until we get a winner.

And the Eagles did deserve better, but deserve isn't always how it works out.

maroonmania
10-31-2016, 04:45 PM
I much prefer the college OT but the NFL OT now is at least better than it used to be. At least now the team getting the ball has to go all the way in and score a TD to end the game rather than just having to drive to the opponent's 30 and kick a FG and claim a win. The college OT is the best system but the only thing I would change in the college system is to eliminate one point extra points from the start. If you made folks go for a 2 pointer starting at the first OT after every TD you could end a lot of games a lot quicker.

archdog
11-01-2016, 12:40 AM
Still not as bad as fumbling throw the end zone and the other team getting the ball without ever possessing it. Should be dead at the spot of the fumble.

Dawg61
11-01-2016, 07:52 AM
Soccer they have 5 guys for each team try to score a penalty kick. I say football does 1 vs 1 from each team five times. One ball carrier tries to score from the ten yard line against one defender. Team with most scores after 5 each is the winner.

sleepy dawg
11-01-2016, 11:32 AM
To me, any overtime that plays a different game in OT vs regulation, such as the college rule or shootouts in other sports, is ridiculous. It may be kind of fun, but it is not the same game. It should only come down to a different game when the game has gone on for too long and you just need it ended.

To me, they should play another 15 minute quarter of football, with the same rules they always play. If it still isn't settled, play another quarter until it is. This is how baseball and basketball work and it is the correct way. Baseball doesn't do sudden death or a homerun contest, or change to 1 out innings or any other alterations. They just keep playing the game until someone wins after an inning (or end of another period in basketball).

vv83
11-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Play a full 5th quarter, no sudden death. If it's still tied after that, 50 yard field goals until one misses. Those kicks would be intense