PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Big Bulldogs vs Little Bulldogs Edition

lamont
10-30-2016, 10:33 AM
1. Awesome start to the day as I threw everything in the pot for the 1st helping of gumbo this Fall. It was fantastic. Thanks to my sister for bringing me some fresh crabmeat from NOLA.

2. Fitz is the guy. Some of you thinking otherwise might as well get over it. He has a big arm and is a better runner than Dakota Prescott. He doesnt have the decision-making prowess that Prescott had- nor the leadership ability- but Fitz is our guy. Prescott was/is Special because of his intangibles- and we got spoiled by that. Fitz has a ton of talent. He has to make better decisions and continue to get experience. He is still a rookie because he didnt play much QB in HS. He tied some Prescott records yesterday and broke others. He is going to break a few school records before he is done.

3. Our OL is so bad its disgusting. We had serious trouble run-blocking vs an FCS team. One that isnt even considered to be a really good FCS D. Its embarrassing. Rankin getting beat across his face. Guys getting absolutely no push. And it will be more of the same next year. At least one of our juco commits will be redshirted. Goodness

4. We used Mixon yesterday the way Holloway should have been used the last 2 years. He got 5 carries- 38 yards. Bring him around on some jet sweeps and such. Get it in his hands 5-6 times and use his skills- just dont run inside zone with him. Nice job Dan Walsh

5. Gray with the big day. He bailed out Fitz once on a good play- and Fitz nailed him on the other two. We made a big effort to get the ball to him and Ross. Need alot more of that moving forward. We took shots down the field- that needs to continue. Green had a couple of really good catches.

6. Gibson only got 4 carries and still almost outrushed Shump. We just refuse to let these guys touch it enough. Its tough running behind our OL and thats a huge part of it. All the more reason for less Shump carries. Aeris couldnt shake free but he made some really good blocks- especially on the edge. He is a physical blocker. Love seeing that.

7. Our DL was not much of a factor vs an FCS team- altho Calvin played pretty well. 3 sacks on 70 passes. Samford rushed for 160 yards and averaged 4.7 per carry. An SEC DL allowed that. That was without AJ. Hope we have some tremendous growth between now and next September.

8. Everybody has been wanting to see Durr play- well you got it. Now I've seen enough. He violated the burn ban and needs to pay a huge fine. Brandon Bryant and his effort sux. Thats ridiculous to see for an SEC football team. Thats got to change or he needs to go. He had a loser effort yesterday. Our Secondary better get ready- they are going to get torched the next 4 weeks. It wont be easy to keep running out there and playing. We will find out who has the will and strength to endure the tough times and who is a quitter the next 4 ballgames.

9. God help our defense the next 4 weeks. We play the Number 1, 2, 4, and 6 scoring offenses in the SEC. We are 10th in Scoring D- so that is going to drop us down farther. Oh- and from the "I told ya so" department- Auburn is 1st in the SEC in total offense.

10. Another 11am game Saturday. At least parking wont be as bad. See you guys at the tailgate.

In Interim AD Scott Wetherbee we trust,

Random Poster

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Rando,

Just curious how you would handle Bryant & the secondary in general?

Do you think it's Jimmies or Xs & Os? If it's some combination of both, then what is the "bigger problem"?

Thanks

msstate7
10-30-2016, 10:46 AM
I refuse to believe we're as bad as we looked on defense yesterday. We're 7th in sec-only rush defense despite facing auburn (#1 in sec), lsu (#4), and Kentucky (#5). We can stop the run better than we did. Secondary is bad though.

Last week we ran for 281 on Kentucky, so obviously our oline can create holes better than they did yesterday.

Really poor effort by oline and defense yesterday

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2016, 10:55 AM
I refuse to believe we're as bad as we looked on defense yesterday. We're 7th in sec-only rush defense despite facing auburn (#1 in sec), lsu (#4), and Kentucky (#5). We can stop the run better than we did. Secondary is bad though.

Last week we ran for 281 on Kentucky, so obviously our oline can create holes better than they did yesterday.

Really poor effort by oline and defense yesterday

This team is just so damn inconsistent & that's what's so disappointing & why they are so awful.

Fitz makes unreal, super star plays, can flick it 50 yards on a dime, but can't make a routine play for the life of him.

The DL shuts down BYU's running game but gets destroyed by KY's

We run for 200+ against KY, but can't hardly get a yard on called run plays against Samford

Fred Ross makes great catches all day, but drops a TD at BYU

Westin Graves can make a 40+ yarder but can't hit inside 30.

Effort is a problem on defense, but so many of this team's issues are based on not being able to make the routine play. If they could just do the easy things, they'd be significantly better immediately

msstate7
10-30-2016, 10:57 AM
This team is just so damn inconsistent & that's what's so disappointing & why they are so awful.

Fitz makes unreal, super star plays, can flick it 50 yards on a dime, but can't make a routine play for the life of him.

The DL shuts down BYU's running game but gets destroyed by KY's

We run for 200+ against KY, but can't hardly get a yard on called run plays against Samford

Fred Ross makes great catches all day, but drops a TD at BYU

Westin Graves can make a 40+ yarder but can't hit inside 30.

Effort is a problem on defense, but so many of this team's issues are based on not being able to make the routine play. If they could just do the easy things, they'd be significantly better immediately

I agree 100%

lamont
10-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Rando,

Just curious how you would handle Bryant & the secondary in general?

Do you think it's Jimmies or Xs & Os? If it's some combination of both, then what is the "bigger problem"?

Thanks

I point it out on film in front of everyone and explain that kind of effort wont be tolerated. If seen next week- he will be removed from the game and wont return.

I think its both. We arent coached well on D in my opinion- there is no way you could argue that we are. Teams making the change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 sometime go thru a 1 year adjustment period. I havent seen any instances of us lining up out of position badly- but we absolutely have confusion at times as to what coverage we are in- or who has what responsibility. But even when we know what we are doing- we arent good at it. McLaurin is pretty good- Bryant plays well in spurts. Ward is an overachiever. But when you start mentioning CB's- not one of them- not ONE can be said looks like a good player and future star. But I knew this coming into the season- so I'm not surprised. Jiles is decent and he is the best we got.

I keep saying it over and over- until we get better on the OL and DL- we will never do anything at State. That is where football is won/lost most of the time.

Todd4State
10-30-2016, 11:29 AM
The general lack of effort bothers me more than anything. We're just not physical at all.

lamont
10-30-2016, 11:43 AM

We just outran Kentucky- we didnt block them. For example- Fitz's 40 yard TD run vs Kentucky. He faked the zone inside and ran around the end for the TD- splitting the Secondary. Against A&M or Bama- thats a 4 yard run. Not 40. We wont outrun them

basedog
10-30-2016, 11:45 AM
I saw Fletcher Adams playing yesterday, his motor was running 100 mph, I liked his effort, has some quickness and speed.

We have some good young talent on defense as for as the front, but like RP has stated we don't look coached up.

Fitz is started to show some leadership during the games, he saw him helping folks up, show some enthusiasm and with time (like a young pitcher who has to learn with practice) will get better IF he works hard during the off season. Also Fitz could have been credited with 9 scores, helmet ripped off by defensive player wasn't called and of course the long TD pass which we had a holding penalty, imagine 9 TD's that is unheard of?

Mullen, I'm just not sure what needs to be done, fire him, make changes on offense or him leaving, regardless it's a bad situation.

Westin Graves, geez,

msstate7
10-30-2016, 11:50 AM
We just outran Kentucky- we didnt block them. For example- Fitz's 40 yard TD run vs Kentucky. He faked the zone inside and ran around the end for the TD- splitting the Secondary. Against A&M or Bama- thats a 4 yard run. Not 40. We wont outrun them

Aeris -- 8 carries 36 yds 4.5 per
Shump -- 2 carries 27 yds 13.5 per
Gibson -- 5 carries 24 yds 4.8 per
Lee -- 2 carries 8 yds 4.0 per

True rb totals -- 17 carries 95 yds 5.6 per

lamont
10-30-2016, 12:08 PM
Aeris -- 8 carries 36 yds 4.5 per
Shump -- 2 carries 27 yds 13.5 per
Gibson -- 5 carries 24 yds 4.8 per
Lee -- 2 carries 8 yds 4.0 per

True rb totals -- 17 carries 95 yds 5.6 per

and alot of that came on stretch- not inside zone. We dont get much at all between the tackles. If you watch Auburn- they run between the tackles using inside zone and power. We dont-our yards are edge yards

HoopsDawg
10-30-2016, 12:15 PM
A front 4 of:

DE: AJ
DT: Simmons
DT: Cory Thomas
DE: Calvin

Is a pretty good front 4. Right now, we can't stop the pass or the run. At least in a 4-3, I think we could slow down the run. Especially with Arkansas being a somewhat winnable game. The advantage of the 3-4 is the multiple looks and blitzes you can do, but I'm just not seeing it. We can't get a rusher free. We aren't pressuring the QB or stopping the run.

HoopsDawg
10-30-2016, 12:21 PM
A front 4 of:

Is a pretty good front 4. Right now, we can't stop the pass or the run. At least in a 4-3, I think we could slow down the run. Especially with Arkansas being a somewhat winnable game. The advantage of the 3-4 is the multiple looks and blitzes you can do, but I'm just not seeing it. We can't get a rusher free. We aren't pressuring the QB or stopping the run.

Just to add, we could run a 2nd unit of:

DE: Spencer
DT: Nick James
DT: Nelson Adams
DE: Will Coleman

That's a pretty good 2 lines we could rotate. We are running the wrong damn defense for our personnel.

My back 7 would be:

LB: R. Brown
LB: L. Lewis
LB: D. Ward (b/c he's got speed and gives effort)

CB: Jiles
CB: Rayford (he can tackle and gives effort)
S: McLaurin
S: Bryant (give him one more shot b/c of his speed, but play Coman when he gets healthy)

And I would not rotate the back 7. Just leave them in. Shit.

Really Clark?
10-30-2016, 12:27 PM

That's a pretty good 2 lines we could rotate. We are running the wrong damn defense for our personnel.

My back 7 would be:

S: Bryant (give him one more shot b/c of his speed, but play Coman when he gets healthy)

Green has to play. He has missed a lot of assignments but he gave some of the best effort and he may be starting to pick up the schemes.

HoopsDawg
10-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Green has to play. He has missed a lot of assignments but he gave some of the best effort and he may be starting to pick up the schemes.

He gives good effort. I'm not playing him over Brown or Leo yet though. And he can't play the WLB role, because he struggles in coverage. He's just not making many plays right now. He will have to play R. Brown's role next year though.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Had someone tell me yesterday that Graves has a couple slipped disc in his back and has been getting shots before each game to alleviate pain. Said it was affecting his follow through when kicking. Plausible is suppose, yet we don't have anyone else to step up? Our best option is a guy with a bad back? Hell, have tryouts from the student body. 10,000 males on campus, I bet there was one who kicked a 28 yarder in high school.

HoopsDawg
10-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Had someone tell me yesterday that Graves has a couple slipped disc in his back and has been getting shots before each game to alleviate pain. Said it was affecting his follow through when kicking. Plausible is suppose, yet we don't have anyone else to step up? Our best option is a guy with a bad back? Hell, have tryouts from the student body. 10,000 males on campus, I bet there was one who kicked a 28 yarder in high school.

FG's won't win us any games going forward. Just need to approach every drive as a 4 down drive.

Really Clark?
10-30-2016, 12:34 PM
A front 4 of:

Not saying we are great at stopping the run but 6th in the league after yesterday and 7th in conference only games is not nearly as the issue vs pass. Granted I know who is coming up but I may play it out with the idea of emphasizing and game planning stopping the run to try and stall just an extra couple of series a game by putting they other behind the sticks more and go for broke on 3rd down. We are getting torched by them throwing the ball either way but maybe having the other team throw a few more times from 3rd and 8 or longer allows us get a stop enough times to flip the field keep the scoring down enough to have a shot at the end. May not work but have to try and get these points per game back below 30 if at all possible.

lamont
10-30-2016, 12:35 PM
He gives good effort. I'm not playing him over Brown or Leo yet though. And he can't play the WLB role, because he struggles in coverage. He's just not making many plays right now. He will have to play R. Brown's role next year though.

Green needs his hand on the ground playing a 4-3 DE. He's not a LB'er

HoopsDawg
10-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Green needs his hand on the ground playing a 4-3 DE. He's not a LB'er

I agree, but our coaches refuse to make this move. I thought for sure he would be playing Viper.

Really Clark?
10-30-2016, 12:38 PM

No but you have to get him on the field in right situations and you are going to have to rotate these guys with 3 of the next 4 teams will run at least 85 plays against us.

HoopsDawg
10-30-2016, 12:40 PM
No but you have to get him on the field in right situations and you are going to have to rotate these guys with 3 of the next 4 teams will run at least 85 plays against us.

I just disagree. I don't think you should be rotating your back 7. Other teams don't. To have any chance to win, we have to shorten the game on offense. If teams are running 85 plays against us, we don't have a chance.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2016, 12:40 PM

My back 7 would be:

This all day!

Really Clark?
10-30-2016, 12:46 PM
I just disagree. I don't think you should be rotating your back 7. Other teams don't. To have any chance to win, we have to shorten the game on offense. If teams are running 85 plays against us, we don't have a chance.

That's not true. Auburn rotated a lot of guys last night. A & M and UNM are going to run 85 plays against us unless we make a huge improvement.

GTHOM
10-30-2016, 12:55 PM
I point it out on film in front of everyone and explain that kind of effort wont be tolerated. If seen next week- he will be removed from the game and wont return.

I think its both. We arent coached well on D in my opinion- there is no way you could argue that we are. Teams making the change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 sometime go thru a 1 year adjustment period. I havent seen any instances of us lining up out of position badly- but we absolutely have confusion at times as to what coverage we are in- or who has what responsibility. But even when we know what we are doing- we arent good at it. McLaurin is pretty good- Bryant plays well in spurts. Ward is an overachiever. But when you start mentioning CB's- not one of them- not ONE can be said looks like a good player and future star. But I knew this coming into the season- so I'm not surprised. Jiles is decent and he is the best we got.

I keep saying it over and over- until we get better on the OL and DL- we will never do anything at State. That is where football is won/lost most of the time.

We are coached so badly and so conservatively that the way we line up is bad. I dont see any other teams playing man coverage from 8-10 yards, I dont see any other teams consistently giving up the 8 yard hitch the way we have for 8 years. We play so soft on the back end and we are so bad yet we refuse to bring consistent pressure to try and get it out of the QB's hands quicker. Its coaching malpractice