PDA

View Full Version : It's time for divisions to go

Quaoarsking
10-29-2016, 09:46 PM
South Carolina, a team we dominated, is probably going to play in a bowl.

Kentucky, a team that needed a last second FG to beat the worst West team, may very well win the East.

Wouldn't that be something. The East goes 1-13 against the West, with the 1 being the East champion barely beating the last place West team at home.

Divisions are no longer required for a championship game. Have 3 permanents and rotate 5 of the other 10. That way you play everyone at least home and away over a 4-year period. Top 2 to Atlanta, so you don't get the 56-7 beat down Alabama will hand Kentucky in a few weeks.

msstate7
10-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Lsu vs Tennessee -- sec championship. You heard it here first

Drugdog
10-29-2016, 09:51 PM
😳😳

msstate7
10-29-2016, 09:53 PM
😳😳

I know it's crazy and I'm probably wrong, but I think lsu runs the table

BulldogBear
10-29-2016, 09:55 PM
No.

No divisions = No CCG

No way they're gonna give that event up

It ebbs and flows anyway.

No.

If you had one anyway, it sets up BS CCGs in some years. If school A is 12-0 and school B 11-1 with a loss the school A, why are you making school A have to beat them again? At that point you're having a CCG just for the sake of having one.

No.

The whole premise of the CCG is that with 12 or more schools, playing a round robin is not practical if not impossible. So, you are allowed to split into divisions and have a CCG.

DownwardDawg
10-29-2016, 09:56 PM

Tennessee???

Really Clark?
10-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Tenn is out now

HoopsDawg
10-29-2016, 09:59 PM
I would prefer we booted Mizzou from the conference. That gives us 13 teams. No divisions, and 9 conference games. Top 2 teams play in the title game. Everyone keeps 2 permanent opponents to preserve rivalries, the other 7 rotate so you play every team in the conference at least once every other year.

Quaoarsking
10-29-2016, 09:59 PM
No.

No divisions = No CCG

No way they're gonna give that event up

It ebbs and flows anyway.

No.

If you had one anyway, it sets up BS CCGs in some years. If school A is 12-0 and school B 11-1 with a loss the school A, why are you main school A have to beat them again?

No.

The NCAA changed the rule requiring divisions to host a championship game. The Big 12 is adding one next year without having divisions.

Your 12-0 vs. 11-1 scenario is not going to happen often, and can already occur in the current setup.

BulldogBear
10-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Tenn is out now

Which means Kentucky basically is also. Slim to no chance of 3 way tie.

Quaoarsking
I would prefer we booted Mizzou from the conference. That gives us 13 teams. No divisions, and 9 conference games. Top 2 teams play in the title game. Everyone keeps 2 permanent opponents to preserve rivalries, the other 7 rotate so you play every team in the conference at least once every other year.

You can't have an odd number of conference games with an odd number of teams. Doesn't work mathematically

Political Hack

We'll give you a re-do.

msstate7
10-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Tenn is out now

If lsu and tenn win out, they match up, right?

Quaoarsking
10-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Which means Kentucky basically is also. Slim to no chance of 3 way tie.

What? Kentucky is 4-2 and can be 6-2 with wins over mediocre Georgia and Tennessee. They'll need Florida to lose to Arkansas and LSU, which is likely.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2016, 10:02 PM

huh? UF only has 1 loss.

Quaoarsking
10-29-2016, 10:02 PM

Florida has only 1 loss in the SEC, Kentucky 2, and Tennessee 3

msstate7
10-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Florida has only 1 loss in the SEC, Kentucky 2, and Tennessee 3

Tennessee lost to aTm!!!! Dang, I forgot. Florida vs lsu then

TUSK
10-29-2016, 10:04 PM

I'm really sweatin' the LSU game... That crazy Les Miles is so unpredictable, ya know?...

I think TN is out with a 3rd conference loss... UF is looking like a lock to be put on the "alter" again this year....

Really Clark?
10-29-2016, 10:05 PM

LSU still has a chance

msstate7
10-29-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm really sweatin' the LSU game... That crazy Les Miles is so unpredictable, ya know?...

I think TN is out with a 3rd conference loss... UF is looking like a lock to be put on the "alter" again this year....

Tenn definitely out. Still think lsu runs the table and bama beats auburn

msstate7
10-29-2016, 10:06 PM
Yeah that's right. Forgot Florida has to play the make up game against LSU

No, I'm wrong. Tenn has 3 losses

BayouDawg
10-29-2016, 10:07 PM
What happens when there are 3 or 4 teams tied for second place at 6-2, and they didn't play each other? What is the tiebreaker? I guess you could go by common opponent.

BulldogBear
10-29-2016, 10:14 PM
Y'all are giving Kentucky way to much credit. They're not beating both UGA and UT, which they would have to do to even have a chance. Florida will need to lose 2/3 out of Ark, LSU, and SC. Slightly more possible but must be paired with Kentucky winning at Rocky Top. L.O.L.

TUSK
10-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Tenn definitely out. Still think lsu runs the table and bama beats auburn

Seriously, LSU has new lease on life now that the grass eatin' albatross has been loosened from their necks...

I see BOTH AU and LSU matching up very well against the Bammer Offense, unless Hurts gets suddenly, magically consistent with the vertical pass....

Ironically, the Bammer D of the past few years would better serve us in these games as opposed to this new, super fast, QB murderin' D....

TUSK
10-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Y'all are giving Kentucky way to much credit. They're not beating both UGA and UT, which they would have to do to even have a chance. Florida will need to lose 2/3 out of Ark, LSU, and SC. Slightly more possible but must be paired with Kentucky winning at Rocky Top. L.O.L.

No one thinks UK will win the EAST... no one.

dawgday166
10-29-2016, 10:23 PM
No one thinks UK will win the EAST... no one.

Apparently some on here are delirious enough to want to believe that ****** Makes em feel better that we played KY down to the wire so now some are saying we would have chance to win the East. Unreal!!

USCe would probably scorch out butt right now.

Quaoarsking
10-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Apparently some on here are delirious enough to want to believe that ****** Makes em feel better that we played KY down to the wire so now some are saying we would have chance to win the East. Unreal!!

Actually I've been calling Kentucky the favorite to win the East for several weeks. All they have to do is beat an awful Georgia team and a deflated, overated Tennessee team that's poorly coached and won't care anymore, along with Florida losing on the road to LSU and Arkansas, two superior teams.

Homedawg
10-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Actually I've been calling Kentucky the favorite to win the East for several weeks. All they have to do is beat an awful Georgia team and a deflated, overated Tennessee team that's poorly coached and won't care anymore, along with Florida losing on the road to LSU and Arkansas, two superior teams.

That's all huh? Ain't happening.
Eta, but I agree ga is awful and agree about tenn too!!

dawgday166
10-29-2016, 10:32 PM

Arky won't beat FL. LSU may.

Tenn beats KY. Tenn may be over rated but they also got something like 7 - 8 (maybe more) starters hurt too. Dobbs very inconsistent. Not sure I understand that. Aero Engineering probably keeping him pretty busy I guess.

HSVDawg
10-29-2016, 11:02 PM
Kentucky is not going to win the East. Florida has already whipped their ass and is firmly in the driver's seat. They take care of Ark in Fayetteville next weekend and that will be all she wrote.

TUSK
10-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Q,

What would be your alternative to divisions...?

Top two teams play in the SECCG? Round Robin type thingy? What?

HoopsDawg
10-29-2016, 11:14 PM
Q,

Top 2. Tiebreaker head to head, then Playoff Committee Rankings.

TUSK
10-29-2016, 11:24 PM
Top 2. Tiebreaker head to head, then Playoff Committee Rankings.

What's your thoughts on "permanent" vs "rotational" opponents? eliminate some OOC game(s), maybe?

HoopsDawg
10-29-2016, 11:29 PM
What's your thoughts on "permanent" vs "rotational" opponents? eliminate some OOC game(s), maybe?

Should be 9 conference games. You can go thru 4 years of school and not play every team in the SEC.

TUSK
10-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Should be 9 conference games. You can go thru 4 years of school and not play every team in the SEC.

guys play 4 years?*

Quaoarsking
10-30-2016, 12:05 AM
Q,

Ideally there would be no conference championship games and expand the playoff instead, but I don't think that's likely, so yeah, top 2.

3 permanent, rotate 5 of the other 10. That way you play everyone in the SEC at least once if you're a 2-year player, and everyone at least twice if you're a 4-year player.

msbulldog
10-30-2016, 08:44 AM
Ideally there would be no conference championship games and expand the playoff instead, but I don't think that's likely, so yeah, top 2.

SEC makes a lot of money from the CCG, ergo MSU get's more money. We need to keep the game.

Taog Redloh
10-30-2016, 08:59 AM
I'd be for it simply because it will help us.

BulldogBear
10-30-2016, 09:55 AM
I'd be for it simply because it will help us.

It would hurt us just as much and hurt more often than not probably. In 1998, Georgia would've played Tennessee in ATL, not Mississippi State.

Quaoarsking
10-30-2016, 10:07 AM
It would hurt us just as much and hurt more often than not probably. In 1998, Georgia would've played Tennessee in ATL, not Mississippi State.

And we would've played Alabama in 2014 most likely, assuming we and Mizzou play a similarly difficult schedule

BulldogBear
10-30-2016, 10:14 AM
And we would've played Alabama in 2014 most likely, assuming we and Mizzou play a similarly difficult schedule

No. Mizzou was 7-1 in SEC play while we were 6-2. Tigers would've played the Tide anyway. They were 10-2 overall like we were but their 2nd loss was to Indiana (4-8) in Columbia. Still scratching my head over that one.

Quaoarsking
10-30-2016, 10:49 AM
No. Mizzou was 7-1 in SEC play while we were 6-2. Tigers would've played the Tide anyway. They were 10-2 overall like we were but their 2nd loss was to Indiana (4-8) in Columbia. Still scratching my head over that one.

Well yes, if we all played the exact same schedules in this alternate 2014 as we did in real 2014, Mizzou goes in ahead of us.

But under this system, there are no divisions. Odds are Mizzou plays more "West" teams and loses a few more and doesn't have as many easy wins over bad "East" teams. And we might miss Alabama too. Plus, all of the games would have come in a different order, so they could have had different results anyway. The most likely outcome, though, is that we and Alabama (the 2 best SEC teams in 2014) play for the SEC title.

What would be even better and more lucrative for the conferences, as Clay Travis has suggested, is to not have divisions or conference championship games, and expand the playoff to 8 instead. That way, we and Alabama both go to the playoff that year and who knows what happens.

TUSK
11-05-2016, 06:08 PM

Bump for my boy, Q....