PDA

View Full Version : Paul saying it looks like Cohen will be AD

bobcat91
10-28-2016, 11:10 AM
and announced in a few days.

Dallas_Dawg
10-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Wonder how CDM will like working for Cohen? Gonna be a huge difference from Loafers.
Hopefully they can keep Weatherbee as associate AD of marketing or whatever.
Let the intense bastard focus on hiring/firing and raising funds

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Boner just got a bonner.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Wonder how CDM will like working for Cohen? Gonna be a huge difference from Loafers.

Cohens hepped hire *******

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2016, 11:40 AM
People have mentioned CDM working for him but what about Howland and Schaefer? Those are 2 of the top basketball coaches in the SEC right now. Those are more important to keep than Mullen in my opinion.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2016, 11:43 AM

Cohens hepped hire Mullenes. Should be fine.

Cohen will be the AD & I'm fine with that. John is a relentless competitor & a brilliant person. He'll bring a greater commitment to excellence on the field than Scott did. Cohen's weakness is that he'll need to learn to be political & listen to big boosters, even if he doesn't care what they have to say. You can't be a stubborn ass as an AD. You have to listen, kiss babies, & shake hands.

Not yet sure how John will handle that. If he's good there, then he could be an elite AD. The major plus of Cohen being the AD is that he'll not accept losing & he'll demand instant respect from all other ADs

Political Hack
10-28-2016, 11:45 AM
People have mentioned CDM working for him but what about Howland and Schaefer? Those are 2 of the top basketball coaches in the SEC right now. Those are more important to keep than Mullen in my opinion.

The trajectory of both of those programs is jn great shape. No AD in their right mind would ruffle feathers jn that hen house. Let them keep doing what they're doing. If it changes, then shake things up.

Mullen is the issue right now within the Ath Dept. The Sexton hire is a pretty clear message. Cohen probably reads that giant billboard sized bold print about as well as most of us here do.

Also, it doesn't make a lot of sense to name someone interim AD for a week just to name another guy AD who's already in the damn building.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2016, 11:47 AM
To add, I'd be surprised if Corbin is the new baseball coach because I think Cohen ego is to the point where he couldn't handle hiring a baseball coach for significantly more money that what he made as baseball coach.

I'd expect Andy Canniazoro or another head coach from across the country that would be getting a good raise with what Cohen made as baseball coach.

Just my humble opinion

Political Hack
10-28-2016, 11:54 AM
To add, I'd be surprised if Corbin is the new baseball coach because I think Cohen ego is to the point where he couldn't handle hiring a baseball coach for significantly more money that what he made as baseball coach.

I'd expect Andy Canniazoro or another head coach from across the country that would be getting a good raise with what Cohen made as baseball coach.

Just my humble opinion

The one thing we would get with Cohen is a state first guy. He'll do what he thinks is best for State at all times and I don't think he'd let his ego get in the way.

MarketingBully
10-28-2016, 11:55 AM

Just my humble opinion

Yeah, and just your opinion. Going after Corbin is entirely Cohen's idea.

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2016, 11:58 AM
The trajectory of both of those programs is jn great shape. No AD in their right mind would ruffle feathers jn that hen house. Let them keep doing what they're doing. If it changes, then shake things up.

Mullen is the issue right now within the Ath Dept. The Sexton hire is a pretty clear message. Cohen probably reads that giant billboard sized bold print about as well as most of us here do.

Also, it doesn't make a lot of sense to name someone interim AD for a week just to name another guy AD who's already in the damn building.

I wasn't really talking about Cohen ruffling feathers but how they already got along with him. Anyone heard anything on what Howland and Schaefer thought of the AD search?

Dawg61
10-28-2016, 12:00 PM

Just my humble opinion

I don't think Cohen would be the one hiring Corbin. Maybe that's why we have the interim-AD so that it isn't so awkward for Cohen to slide into AD and then immediately hire Corbin for a higher salary than Cohen just stepped out of.

msstate7
10-28-2016, 12:00 PM
If it's cohen, I hope we let Henderson interim unless we have a HR locked up. I don't want to settle for a guy bc it's so close to the season

Political Hack
10-28-2016, 12:02 PM
I wasn't really talking about Cohen ruffling feathers but how they already got along with him. Anyone heard anything on what Howland and Schaefer thought of the AD search?

No clue, but I doubt it really impacts their day to day much.

BHildreth3
10-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Yeah, and just your opinion. Going after Corbin is entirely Cohen's idea.

Correct.

state66
10-28-2016, 12:06 PM
The Head Coach position HAS to be settled before Cohen could be announced as AD. November 16th, I believe, is signing day and we have to keep this class intact.

Dawg61
10-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Howland doesn't have a boss before during or after the new AD is hired

Cooterpoot
10-28-2016, 12:12 PM
No way I'd want to be the baseball coach at Miss State and Cohen be my boss. Talk about a micromanaging boss and walking on pins and needles.

Dawg61
10-28-2016, 12:20 PM
No way I'd want to be the baseball coach at Miss State and Cohen be my boss. Talk about a micromanaging boss and walking on pins and needles.

Why does Cohen want to be AD? Seems odd to me

DeviousDawg
10-28-2016, 12:24 PM
What a surprise

smootness
10-28-2016, 12:27 PM
I don't really get it, to be honest. I'm just not sure what makes Cohen a better pick than someone who actually has experience in all the things an AD does. Being an AD uses virtually none of the same traits that being a baseball coach does. Maybe he has those, but it seems like a pretty big risk. Especially because it potentially leaves you worse off with your baseball coach as well.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 12:29 PM
We are probably the first school to ever have an interim AD that is more qualified than the AD we hired. Awesome job MSU GOB network.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 12:30 PM
I don't really get it, to be honest. I'm just not sure what makes Cohen a better pick than someone who actually has experience in all the things an AD does. Being an AD uses virtually none of the same traits that being a baseball coach does. Maybe he has those, but it seems like a pretty big risk. Especially because it potentially leaves you worse off with your baseball coach as well.

It doesn't make sense to you because you have a functioning brain. You're right that it's a huge risk and it's likely to blow up in our face.

msstate7
10-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Maybe we should name hevesy AD. Force Mullen to hire a new oline coach**

BeastMan
10-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Keenum looks like a clown show for his remarks. Mother of god. Embarrassing.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 12:33 PM
If it's cohen, I hope we let Henderson interim unless we have a HR locked up. I don't want to settle for a guy bc it's so close to the season

That's not much better than settling. Unless we land Corbin which I think is a pipe dream we're going to downgrade at baseball coach no matter what.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 12:33 PM

This too.

msstate7
10-28-2016, 12:34 PM

My thoughts exactly.

HSVDawg
10-28-2016, 12:37 PM
and announced in a few days.

Cohen being the AD wouldn't be a huge surprise. Him being named in a few days after we just named an interim guy would be surprising. It makes no sense to have an interim AD for less than a week.

msstate7
10-28-2016, 12:39 PM
Cohen being the AD wouldn't be a huge surprise. Him being named in a few days after we just named an interim guy would be surprising. It makes no sense to have an interim AD for less than a week.

Keenum probably just wanted to announce someone other than Cohen first to save some face. If Cohen is announced shortly, keenum looks like a clown

BB30
10-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Corbin IMO is a pipe dream as stated above. He has so many advantages where he is currently at. He would be crazy to leave unless we almost doubled his salary.

HSVDawg
10-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Keenum probably just wanted to announce someone other than Cohen first to save some face. If Cohen is announced shortly, keenum looks like a clown

No, Keenum pretty much looks like a clown no matter what if Cohen ends up being the final pick. His fence straddling of the state flag issue for political points, handling of this AD situation, and alleged chewing out of Mullen after the Will Redmond scandal have all severely lowered my opinion of him. He can GTFO and go ahead and run for governor or Congress as far as I'm concerned.

Activated Alpha
10-28-2016, 12:44 PM
I agree that Cohen can potentially bring fire and a winning attitude to the AD position, but unless Corbin is our new HC I will continue to be pessimistic about it. State baseball is the only MSU sport I vigorously follow. I do not want to see it tank again.

preachermatt83
10-28-2016, 12:46 PM
The Head Coach position HAS to be settled before Cohen could be announced as AD. November 16th, I believe, is signing day and we have to keep this class intact.

This. All. Day. !!!!

msstate7
10-28-2016, 12:47 PM
No, Keenum pretty much looks like a clown no matter what if Cohen ends up being the final pick. His fence straddling of the state flag issue for political points, handling of this AD situation, and alleged chewing out of Mullen after the Will Redmond scandal have all severely lowered my opinion of him. He can GTFO and go ahead and run for governor or Congress as far as I'm concerned.

If the will Redmond deal is correct, that could explain Mullen's allegedly job searching last year once dak left

preachermatt83
10-28-2016, 12:48 PM

Amen!

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Corbin IMO is a pipe dream as stated above. He has so many advantages where he is currently at. He would be crazy to leave unless we almost doubled his salary.

The only way I see it happening would be that and if he just wanted to try to win a NC here.

Steakonastick
10-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Cannizzaro will be the baseball coach.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 12:50 PM
If the will Redmond deal is correct, that could explain Mullen's allegedly job searching last year once dak left

What about his alleged job searching before that?

Dawg61
Maybe they want Cohen as AD and he wants it too so he can oversee the new ballpark getting built exactly how he wants it. Not sure I like this since he wanted fake grass put in the foul lines what other stupid shit does he want the new park to have?

preachermatt83

Then there are going to be some furious people out there. Hiring a guy who has zero experience just so we can hire Cohen as AD would be the dumbest thing we could possibly do.

Dawg61
10-28-2016, 12:51 PM

Yea great idea Todd turn the new AD thread into another fire Mullen thread.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 12:52 PM
And here's something else to think about- what if Cohen decides all of a sudden he doesn't like being the AD and he misses coaching baseball? That could get awkward with whomever the baseball coach is. I can't see Tim Corbin going "Oh, OK I'll just be the volunteer assistant now." Actually I can't see very many coaches doing that.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Yea great idea Todd turn the new AD thread into another fire Mullen thread.

Would you prefer another Fitz should throw left handed thread?

preachermatt83
10-28-2016, 12:54 PM
The only way I'd ever get behind this is if we had a HR hire lined up. And an inexperienced assistant ain't it. Period.

Dawg61
10-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Would you prefer another Fitz should throw left handed thread?

Over a fire Mullen thread, yes actually I would prefer that.

msstate7
10-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Before will Redmond?

msstate7
10-28-2016, 12:58 PM

You like it? I know you pretty plugged in on baseball

Activated Alpha
10-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Besides Corbin, what other HR hire could there be? Who else has consistently won NC or been to the finals?

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Besides Corbin, what other HR hire could there be? Who else has consistently won NC or been to the finals?

Brian O'Conner- not coming to a SEC West school as long as Manieri is at LSU, Holliday at Oklahoma State who has deep family ties there, Gilmore at Coastal Carolina where he is an alum among others.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 01:04 PM
You like it? I know you pretty plugged in on baseball

Not steak but Cannozarro has a lot of MLB ties and ties to Louisiana. He's actually a Tulane alum and he is LSU's recruiting coordinator. He just hasn't been coaching for very long.

Here's something scary to think about- he's a Tulane alum and they passed over him for head coach.

Political Hack
10-28-2016, 01:08 PM

Why would 2012 be a deciding factor for job searching in 2015? Not following that.

Activated Alpha
10-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Here's something scary to think about- he's a Tulane alum and they passed over him for head coach.

And that's why I would be very pessimistic if this is the best we could do as MSU baseball.

MarketingBully
10-28-2016, 01:10 PM

He would just use the advantages we have here to his advantage. Corbin is Vanderbilt baseball as I stated a billion times. Their program will turn to shit when he leaves. If Vandy has all of these advantages as you say it does, why did it take Corbin to realize them? Vandy's program was shit when he got there and it will be shit again when he leaves.

BankerDog
10-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Look for O'Conner from UVA or the hitting coach from LSU to be named Head Coach of our baseball program if this happens.

Also, from what I've been told Strick was told to look around by Mark. Mark told him he needed to do something about some assistants on the football team and Strick refused to press the issue on Mullen.

Cohen knows how to recruit to Starkville as well as Howland. If they're bringing big time guys here, so can our football coach. The talent we have here is a result of someone wanting to get out and handing recruiting over to Sleepy and Tony while he, Gonzo look for HC jobs. Cohen also will demand excellence from his coaches, I think it has a potential to be a great hire.

BB30
10-28-2016, 01:12 PM
It would be an absolute fail if we go with Cannozarro, he may end up being a good coach. I don't want to be the school that finds out if he can sink or swim as a HC especially when we are getting close to getting our new stadium etc. Honestly, I think Cohen might could make a good AD but, I think what is best for MSU right now is for Cohen to stick to baseball for several more years. Let us get the stadium built and hopefully he snags an NC at some point in the near future and then I would be fine with him replacing whoever takes over as AD. But, we are just now getting stable in baseball and all it will take is one tank of a hire to send us right back to where we were. If we had some of the built in advantages that LSU, UF, and Vandy have then I wouldn't be nearly as nervous. Obviously our baseball job is a pretty coveted one but it is not a top 3-5 job like some would like to think.

Political Hack
10-28-2016, 01:12 PM

I've actually heard this too, but he's so young I can't see that being it. Maybe they're trying to get him before he becomes the next big thing, but that's a risky move to hand your program over to guy with such little experience coaching at a major level. He's super talented though. Just not a lot of experience.

I can't buy into Cohen being it with the way this has unfolded. It would make Keenum look like he's completely lost.

preachermatt83
10-28-2016, 01:23 PM
It would be an absolute fail if we go with Cannozarro, he may end up being a good coach. I don't want to be the school that finds out if he can sink or swim as a HC especially when we are getting close to getting our new stadium etc. Honestly, I think Cohen might could make a good AD but, I think what is best for MSU right now is for Cohen to stick to baseball for several more years. Let us get the stadium built and hopefully he snags an NC at some point in the near future and then I would be fine with him replacing whoever takes over as AD. But, we are just now getting stable in baseball and all it will take is one tank of a hire to send us right back to where we were. If we had some of the built in advantages that LSU, UF, and Vandy have then I wouldn't be nearly as nervous. Obviously our baseball job is a pretty coveted one but it is not a top 3-5 job like some would like to think.

Absolutely!!

Steakonastick
10-28-2016, 01:24 PM
I do not know much about him. Except all the national baseball guys drool over him. He is seen as the next Dan McDonnell. I would be more worried if we did not have a Gary Henderson on staff. And I can't see Cohen leaving the program to some idiot.

preachermatt83
10-28-2016, 01:24 PM
He would just use the advantages we have here to his advantage. Corbin is Vanderbilt baseball as I stated a billion times. Their program will turn to shit when he leaves. If Vandy has all of these advantages as you say it does, why did it take Corbin to realize them? Vandy's program was shit when he got there and it will be shit again when he leaves.

Yup!

msstate7
10-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Why would 2012 be a deciding factor for job searching in 2015? Not following that.

Dak made things more bearable... I don't know. I put 3 seconds of thought in that post, which is less than my normal 5 haha

confucius say
10-28-2016, 01:44 PM

How? Bonner was wrong and that's obvious. Details people.

mparkerfd20
10-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Andy Cannizaro will be our next baseball coach. He's making about 400K now and will be making a little over a million as our new coach.

mparkerfd20
10-28-2016, 01:53 PM
How? Bonner was wrong and that's obvious. Details people.

Bonner was right all along, he just let the cat out of the bag and it pissed Keenum off.

Bucky Dog
10-28-2016, 01:58 PM
Word is Mullen supports Cohen. Cohen is demanding coaching changes, insert Hev, and Mullen respects him. Mullen WILL be our football coach next year. Our next baseball coach will be Brian O'Connor from VA. It's time to take advantage guys!!

Cooterpoot
10-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Look for O'Conner from UVA or the hitting coach from LSU to be named Head Coach of our baseball program if this happens.

Also, from what I've been told Strick was told to look around by Mark. Mark told him he needed to do something about some assistants on the football team and Strick refused to press the issue on Mullen.

Cohen knows how to recruit to Starkville as well as Howland. If they're bringing big time guys here, so can our football coach. The talent we have here is a result of someone wanting to get out and handing recruiting over to Sleepy and Tony while he, Gonzo look for HC jobs. Cohen also will demand excellence from his coaches, I think it has a potential to be a great hire.

Wait a second, Cohen and Howland know how to recruit to State? Half the fans were ready to fire Cohen a couple years ago. His program defines rollercoaster. He had one big year like Mullen.
Howland has yet to prove a damn thing on the court. So the jury is still out on him.

confucius say
10-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Bonner was right all along, he just let the cat out of the bag and it pissed Keenum off.

Maybe it's my profession, but I don't see it that way. He said the search was over (we've interviewed at least four people since then, so all evidence is to the contrary), Cohen had been chosen (to believe this you would have to believe we interviewed at least four people just for show and there is zero evidence of that), and it would be announced on Tuesday (factually wrong).

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-28-2016, 02:15 PM

Why? For not wanting the news of this to get out yet? Even if Cohen was and is the lead candidate but they were going to interview others, I would'nt want the news out prematurely either.

Johnson85
10-28-2016, 02:16 PM
Howland has yet to prove a damn thing on the court. So the jury is still out on him.

Ummm...I'm guessing you missed it, but Howland has a pretty good record of success on the court. Certainly the jury was out on whether he could recruit to MSU, but I think his track record already puts the jury in on that one, and he can recruit.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Ummm...I'm guessing you missed it, but Howland has a pretty good record of success on the court. Certainly the jury was out on whether he could recruit to MSU, but I think his track record already puts the jury in on that one, and he can recruit.

He doesn't have that track record at State. I don't care if his classes are top 10 every year if we don't win games. He's still got to prove he can win games here. Using him as an example of success at State just isn't possible yet. People forget, Mullen's classes, while low in the SEC, are still some of the highest rated classes State has seen.

BeastMan
10-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Why? For not wanting the news of this to get out yet? Even if Cohen was and is the lead candidate but they were going to interview others, I would'nt want the news out prematurely either.

There is a right way to dispute that report and a wrong way. Keenum painted himself in a corner for no reason. He looks awful when we hire Cohen. Absolutely pathatics optics on this one and that's the president of the university. Go reread the statement he put out.

HancockCountyDog
10-28-2016, 02:32 PM
There is a right way to dispute that report and a wrong way. Keenum painted himself in a corner for no reason. He looks awful when we hire Cohen. Absolutely pathatics optics on this one and that's the president of the university. Go reread the statement he put out.

This all damn day.

If Cohen is the guy, you ignore the report or simply say he is a candidate.

Keenun comes across terrible in this shitshow.

ILOATHEBears
10-28-2016, 02:34 PM
Word is Mullen supports Cohen. Cohen is demanding coaching changes, insert Hev, and Mullen respects him. Mullen WILL be our football coach next year. Our next baseball coach will be Brian O'Connor from VA. It's time to take advantage guys!!

Cohen is like Ricky Bobby. He pisses excellence! He won't let lazy staff members get pay checks like Hev

BossDawg
10-28-2016, 02:42 PM

This. I could handle Cohen as AD as long as we end up with a legit home run hire for baseball. I don't want to bring in some experiment with a 50/50 shot of having success. We SHOULD be able to get damn near any coach in the country. The thought of Cannozaro or some other "hot" assistant really does concern me.

confucius say
10-28-2016, 02:46 PM
This all damn day.

Only if you ignore details.

His statement never said we would not hire Cohen, only that the search was not over. Keenum has never said we would not hire Cohen. Only that the search was not over.

tireddawg
10-28-2016, 02:52 PM
From what I've heard & the plan that is in place, it looks to be a very good plan. Guys be patient & see what unfolds. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If any of you think Cohen won't demand excellence, I don't know what to say. Cohen is a very intelligent individual & has been grooming for this long before he was given a title.

Mjoelner34
10-28-2016, 03:03 PM
From what I've heard & the plan that is in place, it looks to be a very good plan. Guys be patient & see what unfolds. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If any of you think Cohen won't demand excellence, I don't know what to say. Cohen is a very intelligent individual & has been grooming for this long before he was given a title.

Check your PMs

smootness
10-28-2016, 03:03 PM
This all damn day.

Not really. If they hadn't made the decision to hire Cohen yet, even if they were leaning in that direction, then he was completely in the right to get pissed about it. Especially if they were still doing interviews, and he claimed they were.

smootness
10-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Oh goodness, now we're trying to get Keenum fired?

You people are insane.

BeastMan
10-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Oh goodness, now we're trying to get Keenum fired?

You people are insane.

Im not saying fire or anything like that but HSV's post is dead on

mparkerfd20
10-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Maybe it's my profession, but I don't see it that way. He said the search was over (we've interviewed at least four people since then, so all evidence is to the contrary), Cohen had been chosen (to believe this you would have to believe we interviewed at least four people just for show and there is zero evidence of that), and it would be announced on Tuesday (factually wrong).

Spin it however the hell you want. If Cohen is named AD, Bonner was right PERIOD and Keenum looks like a dumbass who should've just kept his mouth shut and let the time pass.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Im not saying fire or anything like that but HSV's post is dead on

Exactly. The issue here is how Kennum reacted to the Clarion-Ledger. If they would have just shrugged it off and said "no press conference is scheduled for Tuesday" then no big deal. MSU didn't do that. They pretty much called Bonner out and made a big deal about it.

tireddawg
10-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Some of you wanted our university to stand up to the CL & now they do you complain. Unbelievable.

BankerDog
10-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Wait a second, Cohen and Howland know how to recruit to State? Half the fans were ready to fire Cohen a couple years ago. His program defines rollercoaster. He had one big year like Mullen.

Howland'S recruiting classes have been better then anything else on campus recently. Wasn't it top 6 last year?

Cohen went to a NC and won the SEC outright last year. His program is the most consistent we've had. His recruiting classes speak for themselves.

HancockCountyDog
10-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Some of you wanted our university to stand up to the CL & now they do you complain. Unbelievable.

There is huge difference in standing up to the CL and picking a fight because someone in your own shop leaked the story.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Howland'S recruiting classes have been better then anything else on campus recently. Wasn't it top 6 last year?

Cohen went to a NC and won the SEC outright last year. His program is the most consistent we've had. His recruiting classes speak for themselves.

And Howland has yet to win games (recruiting rankings aren't always right). Got to wait and see on him. Cohen has finished 6th or 7th in the West 3 times at State. He's had a winning SEC record only 4 times. His SEC winning percentage is .454 at State. He had his one big year (and it was huge) and Mullen had his one big year. Dan has a .450 SEC winning percentage. So, no, there's not a lot of difference in Cohen and Mullen programs. Cohen just took his one big year further and finished the job, where Mullen fell off.

confucius say
10-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Spin it however the hell you want. If Cohen is named AD, Bonner was right PERIOD and Keenum looks like a dumbass who should've just kept his mouth shut and let the time pass.

Spin? Ok.

What exactly was bonner right about if Cohen is named AD? Bonner did not say Cohen ultimately will be hired as AD after the ongoing search continues and at least 4 more people are interviewed. He said the search is over and msu has decided on a candidate.

tireddawg
10-28-2016, 04:03 PM
There is huge difference in standing up to the CL and picking a fight because someone in your own shop leaked the story.

I understand what you're saying but standing up is standing up & they'll know moving forward they can't just push us around. Keenum knows what he did was questionable but he probably was willing to take that reputation hit to get his point across & to let them know he ain't taking their crap. To your other point, that leak needs to be dealt with. Could it have been an agent?

mparkerfd20
10-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Spin? Ok.

What exactly was bonner right about if Cohen is named AD? Bonner did not say Cohen ultimately will be hired as AD after the ongoing search continues and at least 4 more people are interviewed. He said the search is over and msu has decided on a candidate.

I understand what you're saying and going by the letter, Bonner was technically not right, but that's not how everyone will see it. I'm just cutting through the bullshit and saying Keenum should have just left it alone instead of painting himself into a corner.

Coursesuper
10-28-2016, 04:18 PM
So Jon Cohen is the guy to lead the Athletic Department at MSU, why is it a wonderful thing that he has been chosen? What attributes make him the obvious choice?

maroonmania
10-28-2016, 04:26 PM

Agreed, stand up to the CL when they screw us over or are dead wrong. Standing up when they apparently reported an accurate story just makes us look stupid. Of course, Cohen hasn't been named AD yet so nothing is for sure. Paul has certainly been wrong before.

MarketingBully
10-28-2016, 04:29 PM
And Howland has yet to win games (recruiting rankings aren't always right). Got to wait and see on him. Cohen has finished 6th or 7th in the West 3 times at State. He's had a winning SEC record only 4 times. His SEC winning percentage is .454 at State. He had his one big year (and it was huge) and Mullen had his one big year. Dan has a .450 SEC winning percentage. So, no, there's not a lot of difference in Cohen and Mullen programs. Cohen just took his one big year further and finished the job, where Mullen fell off.

Ahh, thought this shit would show up from one of you on Howland. This is his second year and he will have two top 25 classes and one top ten class to his credit in recruiting. This team has more talent on it by itself then anything Stansbury had put together in his ten+ years here. The wins will come and odds are good we make the NIT this year.

As far as Mullen and Cohen having similar coaching careers, let me know when Mullen wins an SEC championship and gets to a national championship game and I'll hang up and listen. Cohen has won two SEC championships and gotten to one national championship series so no their coaching careers aren't even close to the same.

bobcat91
10-28-2016, 04:36 PM

This is simply one of the most ignorant posts seen on this board ever. Howland has a history of success. Those include championship games and Final Fours. There is zero reason to believe that he won't be wildly successful here. Cohen took over the worst teams in modern MSU history, so the facts are correct about his finishes, but with no context. He would have been more successful if he had started the team from scratch. Since those first two years. He has been great. We had one poor year since the rebuild and several super regionals. That is great success. Mullen has taken us to places in football we have never been before. Your criticisms are bs.

bulldogcountry1
10-28-2016, 04:39 PM
If we hire an AD with no experience AND then hire a baseball coach with no HC experience, I'm done.

BB30
10-28-2016, 04:40 PM

If you don't see the advantage Vandy has over state I can't help you. It may or may not be a better job overall but it is a lot closer then you think. When you can sign as many guys in state as you want and save scholly money for out of staters that is a huge huge advantage. Not only that, but it is a lot easier to get a top draft prospect aka late 1st rounder when you can offer him 90% of a Vandy Education whereas we can offer that same kid 30% of a State education. Not saying that our education is that much worse but a Vandy diploma is looked at as much better by most and is much closer to what a 2nd or 3rd round signing bonus is compared to the 30% we can offer.

bobcat91
10-28-2016, 04:41 PM
As far as Cohen as AD, he isn't my first choice. But having said that, he is a bright guy and a tireless worker. He wins. Period. With Weatherby as associate AD to fill in his weak areas, he will learn fast and do a great job. I have zero doubt that the new Baseball hire will be a HR. Some just want to be critical, but I'm all for hiring a State first guy. I would love to have a video of the meeting with Mullen at the end of the season. A weak, timid Scott Stricklin he isnt.

1bigdawg
10-28-2016, 05:12 PM

The guy said Howland proved you could recruit to Starkville, not that he would win here. People gripe about Mullen's recruiting rankings. In that category, Howland has been outstanding. The fact that he has not won does not change the fact that he has proven that one can recruit to Starkville.

I guess you think Johnny Jones at LSU can't recruit also, because he has not won much. Oh yeah, first pick in the NBA draft...

AROB44
10-28-2016, 05:21 PM
I am shocked that certain posters on this board were not consulted on not only the AD but also on the new coach, if Cohen is indeed the new AD. Surely this is a major oversight.

Joe Schmedlap
10-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Lots of disdain on this board for the little imp that coaches baseball at Florida, but the mofo can coach. He looks like a fiery version of Ron Polk. An intense leprechaun bastard.

turkish
10-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Some of y'all need to quit beating around the bush and make some predictions on how many championships Howland's gonna bring home to Starkville. Good Lord!

bobcat91
10-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Some of y'all need to quit beating around the bush and make some predictions on how many championships Howland's gonna bring home to Starkville. Good Lord!

How many do you yhink he will win, Rick Ray?

BankerDog
10-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Howland has said that if he doesn't make the Final 4 next year, it'll be a disappointment.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 06:46 PM
So Jon Cohen is the guy to lead the Athletic Department at MSU, why is it a wonderful thing that he has been chosen? What attributes make him the obvious choice?

Because Scott and the GOB said so. Now Hail State and buy more Adidas crap.**

Really Clark?
10-28-2016, 07:36 PM
So let me get this straight, Keenum is going with Cohen as AD who was being pushed in a power play from a section of people who include Stricklin, according to posters on here. Keenum is taking SS advice on who to hire as next AD all the while supposedly pushing SS out the door. We have leaks from boosters, Stricklin, and people in the AD department, rumored. Keenum is pissed about the leaks but is still hiring the subject of those leaks, supposedly. Names an interim AD this week, who is a candidate for the AD job himself. Does this circle of misinformation not raising red flags? Is there something not adding up? I hope there is an outstanding plan in place and the factions are brought to heel when this is over.

msbulldog
10-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Hail State! Nobody knows what's going to happen, let it play out and just worry about how we are going to get rid of Hev.

MarketingBully
10-28-2016, 08:08 PM

These are just the Stands supporters still rearing their ugly head. When we make the Sweet 16 and win championships with Howland, they will all shut up. With Howland, it's not if this will happen but when.

msbulldog
10-28-2016, 08:29 PM

I agree +1!

smootness
10-28-2016, 08:37 PM
So let me get this straight, Keenum is going with Cohen as AD who was being pushed in a power play from a section of people who include Stricklin, according to posters on here. Keenum is taking SS advice on who to hire as next AD all the while supposedly pushing SS out the door. We have leaks from boosters, Stricklin, and people in the AD department, rumored. Keenum is pissed about the leaks but is still hiring the subject of those leaks, supposedly. Names an interim AD this week, who is a candidate for the AD job himself. Does this circle of misinformation not raising red flags? Is there something not adding up? I hope there is an outstanding plan in place and the factions are brought to heel when this is over.

Yeah, most on here don't know anything. That is pretty obvious by now.

maroonmania
10-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Hail State! Nobody knows what's going to happen, let it play out and just worry about how we are going to get rid of Hev.

Unfortunately there is probably only one way to make that happen and that's to get rid of Mullen

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 09:23 PM

That's easy. Make him recruit. Anywhere. He'll probably just leave on his own accord.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Yeah, most on here don't know anything. That is pretty obvious by now.

Honestly if I did know anything I'd be scared to say anything lest Sid Salter call me out at work.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately there is probably only one way to make that happen and that's to get rid of Mullen

I had heard that before. However I've heard rumblings recently to the contrary. Dan is more likely to be back here next year than Hevesy.

yjnkdawg
10-28-2016, 09:26 PM
Maybe I'm missing something on what Paul said, but earlier in the week, he indicated that Cohen could be one of three possible reasons that an interim AD was appointed.

DancingRabbit
10-28-2016, 09:28 PM

Ha, yeah some of that doesn't add up. Good post.

yjnkdawg
10-28-2016, 09:30 PM

I agree 2+2 does not equal 4.

turkish
10-28-2016, 09:36 PM
I asked first, chief.

And I love Howland and hate Stands. Some folks sound like 12 year old girls with the latest Taylor Swift album, though. The truth is Howland hasn't won shit at MSU. Saying he's the second coming of Coach Wooden for MSU today is TSUN level delusion.

Bass Chaser
10-28-2016, 09:54 PM
Maybe I'm missing something on what Paul said, but earlier in the week, he indicated that Cohen could be one of three possible reasons that an interim AD was appointed.

Paul posted his "Odds Are" and it had Cohen to AD above 50%.

Spiderman
10-28-2016, 10:02 PM
Cohens hepped hire Mullenes. Should be fine.

Cohen will be the AD & I'm fine with that. John is a relentless competitor & a brilliant person. He'll bring a greater commitment to excellence on the field than Scott did. Cohen's weakness is that he'll need to learn to be political & listen to big boosters, even if he doesn't care what they have to say. You can't be a stubborn ass as an AD. You have to listen, kiss babies, & shake hands.

Not yet sure how John will handle that. If he's good there, then he could be an elite AD. The major plus of Cohen being the AD is that he'll not accept losing & he'll demand instant respect from all other ADs

Cohen will not treat boosters and fans like a short stop not getting in front of grounders.

Seems a lot of folks forget how good a recruiter he is. Can't be good at it and not how how to sweet talk and schmooze people.

preachermatt83
10-28-2016, 10:17 PM
If it's Cohen it will be after signing day. Cohen is STILL telling recruits he has not and is not taking any job.

ScottH
10-28-2016, 10:46 PM
If it's Cohen it will be after signing day. Cohen is STILL telling recruits he has not and is not taking any job.

With the rash de-comiits and and a signee release request or two last year citing coaching changes as the reason, I'm not sure that would be the most prudent course of action if he knows he's getting the job.

Homedawg
10-28-2016, 10:47 PM
Howland has said that if he doesn't make the Final 4 next year, it'll be a disappointment.

Where did he say this? And if he did I assure you it was said in jest.

Homedawg
10-28-2016, 10:52 PM
With the rash de-comiits and and a signee release request or two last year citing coaching changes as the reason, I'm not sure that would be the most prudent course of action if he knows he's getting the job.

I agree w this. If he stays until signing day and then takes as job, that's not right to recruits. Sure some, most will stay. But still a shitty way of doing business. And I think it's his job.

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2016, 10:57 PM
I agree w this. If he stays until signing day and then takes as job, that's not right to recruits. Sure some, most will stay. But still a shitty way of doing business. And I think it's his job.

We released guys because Mingionne went to UK. I doubt we would screw over guys that would jump immediately like that.

SDDawg
10-28-2016, 11:14 PM
Cohen will coach baseball and be the AD. Bo Schembechler-style, look it up kiddies.

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Cohen will coach baseball and be the AD. Bo Schembechler-style, look it up kiddies.

Does that make Paul Manieri Woody Hayes?

I seen it dawg
10-29-2016, 12:15 AM
I am shocked that certain posters on this board were not consulted on not only the AD but also on the new coach, if Cohen is indeed the new AD. Surely this is a major oversight.

Certain posters are little bitch ****s

I seen it dawg
10-29-2016, 12:16 AM

Yes

I seen it dawg
10-29-2016, 12:18 AM
I asked first, chief.

And I love Howland and hate Stands. Some folks sound like 12 year old girls with the latest Taylor Swift album, though. The truth is Howland hasn't won shit at MSU. Saying he's the second coming of Coach Wooden for MSU today is TSUN level delusion.

At least he has a prior record of doing ****ing something

I seen it dawg
10-29-2016, 12:21 AM
Wetherbee AD until July. Cohen in July. Mullen to Purdue this December. Let's everybody off the hook.

JohnnyQuid
10-29-2016, 04:31 AM

I thought cooter was ricky ray a page back but u flushed him out

turkish
10-29-2016, 08:25 AM
At least he has a prior record of doing ****ing something
Yep. Damn right.

msujan
10-29-2016, 08:49 AM

We used to have an AD that was also a HC. Bob Tyler ruined that for us, and we lost Bob Boyd because they wouldn't make him AD/HC in early '80s.

Dawgtini
10-29-2016, 08:55 AM
I asked first, chief.

Howland has certainly pleased the star gazers. Now I hope he can please us scoreboard watchers.

Lance Harbor
10-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Why does Cohen want to be AD? Seems odd to me

Same here. I don't get it.

Political Hack
10-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Wetherbee AD until July. Cohen in July. Mullen to Purdue this December. Let's everybody off the hook.

1:21 AM post results in drunken honesty. Now y'all know.

Dawg61
10-29-2016, 07:18 PM
1:21 AM post results in drunken honesty. Now y'all know.

Purdue?! No way Mullen can be this stupid with the next QB he has coming in here.

Dawgface
10-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Purdue?! No way Mullen can be this stupid with the next QB he has coming in here.

Let's hope he is......