PDA

View Full Version : Fitz (2nd attempt but better approach)

Dawg61
10-27-2016, 02:25 PM
what does he need to work on to get better?

1. his touch, not every throw needs to be a bullet
2. his read on the read-option is more times than not incorrect
3. he predetermines where he is going with the throw and run before the snap every snap

KentuckyDawg13
10-27-2016, 02:35 PM
nm

BrunswickDawg
10-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Do we seriously need a thread on this every week? Yes, he needs all of those things - as did Tyson Lee, Chris Relf, Tyler Russell, and Dak Prescott during their Red Shirt Sophomore seasons (except Lee, who was in JUCO - but needed all of that his SR year). The reality is what we know. Dan - like every MSU coach before him - has not been able to attract a polished 5* ready to go QB and has had to develop them from scratch at MSU. Why act like this would be any different for Fitz then it was for Dak? Go look at Russell's 2011 and Dak's 2013 stats and compare to Fitz. The difference is negligible. The big difference is that we won't win as many games - but that is more on the overall make up of the team then Fitz's performance.

Dawg61
10-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Link to other threads talking about what Fitz needs to work on?

BrunswickDawg
10-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Link to other threads talking about what Fitz needs to work on?

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49460-Fitz&highlight=Fitz
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49397-Question-about-pre-snap&highlight=Fitz
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49360-Something-to-consider-with-fitz&highlight=Fitz

That's just in the first 2 pages of searching "Fitz"

Oh, and I forgot your's earlier - http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49728-Fitz-should-try-throwing-left-handed&highlight=Fitz

msstate7
10-27-2016, 03:27 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49460-Fitz&highlight=Fitz
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49397-Question-about-pre-snap&highlight=Fitz
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49360-Something-to-consider-with-fitz&highlight=Fitz

That's just in the first 2 pages of searching "Fitz"

Oh, and I forgot your's earlier - http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49728-Fitz-should-try-throwing-left-handed&highlight=Fitz

Well Brunswick, your boy, fitz is the qb so he'll be talked about a ton. Following dak has only made us more critical. I've certainly been critical of fitz, but he's the one I wanted starting every game... just may not have been the guy I wanted finishing every game (haha). I do like that fitz took us on what should've been a game winning drive last week and completed the td pass in a tight window

BrunswickDawg
10-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Well Brunswick, your boy, fitz is the qb so he'll be talked about a ton. Following dak has only made us more critical. I've certainly been critical of fitz, but he's the one I wanted starting every game... just may not have been the guy I wanted finishing every game (haha). I do like that fitz took us on what should've been a game winning drive last week and completed the td pass in a tight window

Criticism I can handle. I totally agree that all of the things DAWG61 posted are true and accurate observations. It is the repetitive thread aspect that gets old.

Maybe I should have just posted this without comment:
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/705/640/673.gif

justwin
10-27-2016, 03:45 PM

3. he predetermines where he is going with the throw and run before the snap every snap

Between those 3, I would have him throw deep balls for entire practice sessions to get comfortable throwing while scrambling, in pocket, etc. Throw them high. He's got the long down. All you need to do is complete one or two of those a game to change the outcome. Hindsight, but if he completes that 99 yarder to Gray vs LSU, our entire season is probably different. But you got to throw it deep to complete it deep.

He probably has the best arm strength of any MSU qb that Dan has coached. In fact, he's probably the most athletic Dan has had at MSU too. Just a sophomore.

He's going through his progressions more than you're giving him credit for...#3.

yjnkdawg
10-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Well the second attempt certainly beats the first attempt. That ranks up with some of the worse threads I have ever seen on here. But to answer your question. I think more reps, improve his footwork, make better reads, better blocking for him and receivers helping him out. It seems like Fitz is actually our best blocker. I don't remember the actual number of passes he threw in high school, but I think it was around 88 or 89. So he has had limited passing experience. Mullen saw potential, or he would have not given him a scholarship. Fitz is not the reason for our losses this season. He gives his all, but he is young and still learning

justwin
10-27-2016, 03:46 PM

last two weeks he led game winning drives while on the road.

Maroonthirteen
10-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Sometimes it is a called handoff. Just because it is our base formation and he is in the gun...doesn't mean it is a "read option" play.

Dawg61
10-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Does he give his all as a teammate and mentally forcing himself to stop deciding where he's going with the ball pre-snap?

confucius say
10-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Does he give his all as a teammate ?

What does this mean? Are you asking if he is trying hard? If so, yes. he is competing more than anybody out there. He's led us on game winning drives the last two weeks, making clutch plays, only to have the defense 17 it up.

Dawg61
10-27-2016, 04:35 PM
What does this mean? Are you asking if he is trying hard? If so, yes. he is competing more than anybody out there. He's led us on game winning drives the last two weeks, making clutch plays, only to have the defense 17 it up.

It means pay more time trying to be buddies with your teammates than bros with the frat boys. Be more likeable instead of arrogant. Any other position I wouldn't give a shit but he's the QB and it sure looks like most his team would rather beat his ass than pick it up off the ground.

BrunswickDawg
10-27-2016, 04:45 PM
It means pay more time trying to be buddies with your teammates than bros with the frat boys. Be more likeable instead of arrogant. Any other position I wouldn't give a shit but he's the QB and it sure looks like most his team would rather beat his ass than pick it up off the ground.
Well, be the judge from what you have seen after plays. Lots of interaction with teammates, celebration routine with Ross, lineman flocking to him after rushing TDs - I've seen it. I think a lot of the residual "Fitz doesnt lead" was more about the way the entire team split between 4 guys they all liked for different reasons - especially Dam. Williams. That gelling behind 1 QB should have happened over the summer, not during the season. That not happening is on Dan for not naming a #1 after spring.

Dolphus Raymond
10-27-2016, 04:48 PM
I always try to keep in mind that he is only R. S. Sophomore. He is learning and making steady progress. I do not know enough about football to say specifically what he needs to work on, but I do know enough to accept that when you go from an all world R. S. Senior to a r. s. Sophomore, you can expect a drop-off.
He needs time

Maroonthirteen
10-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Did Fitz down vote your son's fraternity bid?

confucius say
10-27-2016, 04:51 PM

Why do people keep saying his teammates don't like him? Any evidence of this? Serious question.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Why do people keep saying his teammates don't like him? Any evidence of this? Serious question.

^^^This^^^. I too would like some evidence of this accusation. Rumors are cheap, the truth not so much.

Dawg61
10-27-2016, 05:51 PM
Well, be the judge from what you have seen after plays. Lots of interaction with teammates, celebration routine with Ross, lineman flocking to him after rushing TDs - I've seen it. I think a lot of the residual "Fitz doesnt lead" was more about the way the entire team split between 4 guys they all liked for different reasons - especially Dam. Williams. That gelling behind 1 QB should have happened over the summer, not during the season. That not happening is on Dan for not naming a #1 after spring.

It's easy to celebrate with your teammates after big plays. I want to see leadership happening from him after bad plays. I want to see him picking his teammates up after a fumble or a dropped pass. I want to see him interacting with everyone on the team not just his boys. He is the leader of this team redshirt soph don't matter. Dak is a rookie leading and changing the Dallas Cowboys locker room. I don't expect Fitz to have all those type of leadership skills right now but I do expect him to have some of them.

gravedigger
10-27-2016, 06:59 PM

rehab

BrunswickDawg
10-27-2016, 07:23 PM
It's easy to celebrate with your teammates after big plays. I want to see leadership happening from him after bad plays. I want to see him picking his teammates up after a fumble or a dropped pass. I want to see him interacting with everyone on the team not just his boys. He is the leader of this team redshirt soph don't matter. Dak is a rookie leading and changing the Dallas Cowboys locker room. I don't expect Fitz to have all those type of leadership skills right now but I do expect him to have some of them.
How about leading what should have been game winning drives the last 2 games. Putting the team on your back and driving down field shows a hell of a lot. And to flip the question back on you - where are the concrete examples of him not showing leadership? He looks like a kid learning how to play, and learning how to handle adversity on and off the field. Has he quit? Has he thrown teammates under the bus? Has talked about himself in the third person and about how much swag he has?

TimberBeast
10-27-2016, 09:42 PM
How about leading what should have been game winning drives the last 2 games. Putting the team on your back and driving down field shows a hell of a lot. And to flip the question back on you - where are the concrete examples of him not showing leadership? He looks like a kid learning how to play, and learning how to handle adversity on and off the field. Has he quit? Has he thrown teammates under the bus? Has talked about himself in the third person and about how much swag he has?

You're arguing with a moron, you're not going to get any answers to those questions.

Dawg61
10-27-2016, 10:54 PM
You're arguing with a moron, you're not going to get any answers to those questions.

Or anything I say that isn't pro-Fitz is going to get shot down by Bruns since he grew up in his living room. Whats up though Timber you mad bout something moron?

Dallas_Dawg
10-27-2016, 11:23 PM
They call it the "IT factor". He really doesn't seem to have it like Dak did.
Even when Dak was young, you could see the potential with his pocket presence, escapability, and big plays in big moments.
When you need that 3rd and 2, unless we were playing Bama or Nkemdiche, you just knew Dak was gonna get it. And if he didn't, he didn't have a chance to.
I've seen Fitz fall down on his own on 3rd or 4th down at BYU. Just seems like doesn't handle the big moment.
And remember, we are finishing up the easy part of our schedule. Let's see how he handles A&M, Bama, Arky, and Om. I want to see how much fight he has in him. If he looks like he is giving up, then we need to prepare Tiano or KT for next year.
That damn Staley must have really sucked

Really Clark?
10-27-2016, 11:50 PM
Even when Dak was young, you could see the potential with his pocket presence, escapability, and big plays in big moments.
When you need that 3rd and 2, unless we were playing Bama or Nkemdiche, you just knew Dak was gonna get it. And if he didn't, he didn't have a chance to.
I've seen Fitz fall down on his own on 3rd or 4th down at BYU. Just seems like doesn't handle the big moment.
And remember, we are finishing up the easy part of our schedule. Let's see how he handles A&M, Bama, Arky, and Om. I want to see how much fight he has in him. If he looks like he is giving up, then we need to prepare Tiano or KT for next year.

I'm sorry but Fitz dive for TD against BYU and drive to go ahead against KY late does show him coming up big in big moments. He is not consistent and young. But Dak had some yuck moments when he was at the same age as well. I personally am not sold he will what Dak was but that is a pretty tall bar to hurdle.

BrunswickDawg
10-28-2016, 06:23 AM
Or anything I say that isn't pro-Fitz is going to get shot down by Bruns since he grew up in his living room. Whats up though Timber you mad bout something moron?
Did you miss the part where twice in this thread I said I agreed with what you said about things he needed to work on?

What I have pointed out is that people have just seemed to forget that we have a history of our QB's not fully getting it until their Jr or Sr year and Fitz is no different than Dak or Tyler at this stage - and better than Relf as a Soph. The only real difference is the quality of the cast around him and the results.

And yes, I call out the BS narrative that Fitz is some type of asshole that the team hates. It sure as hell wasnt a problem when he was at Richmond Hill, and no one started making a peep about it until it looked like he was going to beat out DW for the job. He's not Dak, he won't be Dak, and we shouldn't place that expectation on him.

I may be defending my guy, but at least I'm not acting like Fitz stole my girlfriend like you are.

msbulldog
10-28-2016, 06:38 AM
"I may be defending my guy, but at least I'm not acting like Fitz stole my girlfriend like you are."
Funny!

Dawg61
10-28-2016, 11:03 AM
"I may be defending my guy, but at least I'm not acting like Fitz stole my girlfriend like you are."
Funny!

Definitely not worried about Fitz taking my girl cause he's already pre-determined his actions, stares her down too long, has no touch and always makes the wrong read.

confucius say
10-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Definitely not worried about Fitz taking my girl cause he's already pre-determined his actions, stares her down too long, has no touch and always makes the wrong read.

Do you think someone other than fitz should be out qb right now?

BrunswickDawg
10-28-2016, 11:22 AM

Touch

Dawg61
10-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Do you think someone other than fitz should be out qb right now?

I'd give Tiano some reps for sure till Fitz is willing to stop pre-determing where he's going on every play and starts making the correct reads on the option. Those are mental errors. Our offense goes very stagnant with Fitz for stretches so yes during these stretches I'd like to see Tiano in the game slinging the ball around. Atleast give the defense something new to worry about and attack parts of the field that Fitz has pre-determined he won't.

chef dixon
10-28-2016, 01:35 PM
"Fitz is young"

He's been with us for 3 seasons plus a spring. I don't care how much he's played. You would expect someone who's been with us that long to not consistently make poor reads and not be able to go through his progressions whatsoever. It's not like he's improving over the course of the season either. He was almost as bad as you can be for most of the Kentucky game.

Dak was scoring touchdowns without making mistakes his redshirt freshman season. He played a sensational game as a sophomore on the road at national runner up Auburn. Stop comparing the two and stop using the "he's young" excuse.

With that said, I don't know what choice we have and I hope he improves.

JohnnyQuid
10-29-2016, 04:49 AM

well I'm completely shocked that Fitz doesn't have the it factor dak did as a sophomore - I mean considering no qb in my lifetime had it even as a senior for us I figured we should start to expect that shit now.

and that's not even mentioning the team around dak at that time was a lot better than our current situation.

Fitz has a long way to go passing and Noone is saying he hasn't ****ed up but god almighty let's be realistic. that kid plays about as hard and tough nosed as anyone we got. let's see how he handles Bama a&m and Ole miss u ask? you mean IF he manages to escape that gauntlet without our OL getting him decapitated?

Jesus Christ

and I'm not informed but I'm sure Staley is a talented guy but I shudder to imagine a pocket passing qb who can't run relying on this line to give him time

bulldawg28
10-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Fitz needs to work on running routes like high-school. I'd move his ass to WR as soon as we signed another Qb.