PDA

View Full Version : Dream offer is MSU

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-27-2016, 11:46 AM
We have all beaten the OL horse to death worse than Negan ever could, but looking back....not forward, I would have rather offered guys like this

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/university-of-southern-mississippi/article76982527.html

instead of some of the ones we took a chance on the past few years. If we're going to offer C-USA talent, I would rather offer to guys whose dream offer was MSU. I'm not saying MSU wasn't the dream offer of those we offered in the past or they didn't have the pride, work ethic and drive to be the best they could be. But when you see a kid say he is on top of the world by getting a couple of offers and you have his head coach say how hard working and humble he is, that he has a good ACT score and is graduating early....I don't know, maybe I'm grasping since our OL is so bad...

Anyway, if we're not going to go after the 4 star OL hard, I'd rather have a kid like this who just looks like he has the pride to give it 110% every day and would really appreciate the opportunity.

The dream offer part came from Steve in his bones....I don't think he'd mind me giving him a plug since I'm not putting out everything he said.

msbulldog
10-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Lips, I agree a hard working, humble kid with that kind of size could grow and develop into something special. It sounds like he's a good student too. We take a lot of chances on kids why not take a chance on this one? I bet our staff is not even aware of him.

Todd4State
10-27-2016, 12:28 PM
I agree. This is the type of guy we have been consistently missing.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Yes it's a feel good story but this is the very type of kid who we all kill Hev for. He may turn out to be a great player but unless he absolutely dominates everyone at the MS/AL practice week & game I can't see him getting an offer. Yes the staff is aware of him.

Todd4State
10-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Yes it's a feel good story but this is the very type of kid who we all kill Hev for. He may turn out to be a great player but unless he absolutely dominates everyone at the MS/AL practice week & game I can't see him getting an offer. Yes the staff is aware of him.

I don't remember anyone bashing Hevesy over Michael Storey or Elgton Jenkins. I could be wrong.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-27-2016, 01:20 PM
I don't remember anyone bashing Hevesy over Michael Storey or Elgton Jenkins. I could be wrong.

Nope but there have been plenty bashing for Cole Carter, Devon Desper, & Rufus Warren. Those guys had those dream MSU offers too & no one else. Again the kid may turn out good even though we can't say yet for sure Story or Jenkins are good. My point is we can't say recruit better OL & then say give a kid like this a chance because MSU is a dream offer. That's contradictory & when the guy turns out to be a CUSA caliber kid we blame Hev.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-27-2016, 01:47 PM

That's what I'm talking about....the very type of kid who we all kill Hev for. My point was that if we were not going to go after the 4 stars with reckless abandon, I'd rather see us sign a kid like this where putting on the maroon and white uniform means the world to him. Someone like that will give you everything he has every single day to make himself better.

We have several on our line now who "appear" to have the same ability as this guy....meaning they belong in C-USA.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-27-2016, 01:55 PM
We have several on our line now who "appear" to have the same ability as thid guy....meaning they belong in C-USA.

Which is why we're in the shape we're in & want Hev gone.

dawgday166
10-27-2016, 02:52 PM

This is true.

Todd4State
10-27-2016, 02:55 PM

If Hevesy could develop them we wouldn't be.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-27-2016, 03:01 PM
If Hevesy could develop them we wouldn't be.

Ok say Hev develop 100% of these type of guys he still has to face Bama, LSU, A&M, & Auburn who are recruiting at a very high level on the DL. If they develop their DL as good as Hev develops our OL then we're still in the hole. Their ceiling is still going to be lower than those teams 9/10 years. You're 1 of the more vocal on taking the next step & needing better more talented OL to do that. I'm surprised you're riding on this stance so hard.

Taog Redloh
10-27-2016, 03:04 PM
If I'm Mullen, I offer this guy. Mullen came in talking about national championship talent with 5 miles, and this is an in-state kids who wants to show what he can do.

Todd4State
10-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Ok say Hev develop 100% of these type of guys he still has to face Bama, LSU, A&M, & Auburn who are recruiting at a very high level on the DL. If they develop their DL as good as Hev develops our OL then we're still in the hole. Their ceiling is still going to be lower than those teams 9/10 years. You're 1 of the more vocal on taking the next step & needing better more talented OL to do that. I'm surprised you're riding on this stance so hard.

There's more to it than just bringing in highly rated guys. You have to have some hard working guys too that want to be here and love playing for MSU. Like Ben Beckwith. Whom Hevesy also passed over. I've said we should recruit better and bring in more talent than we are- but I've consistently said that we should be on the top 15-20 range. That's not recruiting on Alabama's level at all. The hard working guys are going to bring our ratings down- but they are critical to us winning.

It's not an either or thing like you are trying to make this into. We need both talent and hard workers. Hevesy has been missing on both for the most part. You can't tell me that Justin Senior was a MSU fan growing up in Canada. Warren was originally brought in as a TE. Desper was an Under Armour All-American who hasn't been developed since he has been here. Add in the misses on Jovan Patterson, Avery Gennessy, Scott Lashley in with the guys like Beckwith and Brandon Mahaffey who could have helped us that Hevesy turns his nose up at because their fingernails are too short and then you have the disaster that is our o-line.

dawgday166
10-28-2016, 06:12 AM
There's more to it than just bringing in highly rated guys. You have to have some hard working guys too that want to be here and love playing for MSU. Like Ben Beckwith. Whom Hevesy also passed over. I've said we should recruit better and bring in more talent than we are- but I've consistently said that we should be on the top 15-20 range. That's not recruiting on Alabama's level at all. The hard working guys are going to bring our ratings down- but they are critical to us winning.

It's not an either or thing like you are trying to make this into. We need both talent and hard workers. Hevesy has been missing on both for the most part. You can't tell me that Justin Senior was a MSU fan growing up in Canada. Warren was originally brought in as a TE. Desper was an Under Armour All-American who hasn't been developed since he has been here. Add in the misses on Jovan Patterson, Avery Gennessy, Scott Lashley in with the guys like Beckwith and Brandon Mahaffey who could have helped us that Hevesy turns his nose up at because their fingernails are too short and then you have the disaster that is our o-line.

Seriously?? How'd he get to be an UA All-American as a 3* recruit?

Todd4State
10-28-2016, 08:56 AM
Seriously?? How'd he get to be an UA All-American as a 3* recruit?

I have no idea. I think he roomed with Channing Ward if I remember correctly. He also ended his recruitment very early and I don't know if that impacted his rating since his recruitment was drama free. He played at Madison Central so that probably helped his cause as well.

And I will say I saw him play in high school and he was pretty good. I just think he hasn't been developed for the most part because he looks about the same as he was when he got to MSU.

dawgday166
10-28-2016, 09:03 AM
I'd say he hasn't been developed well.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2016, 09:05 AM
Desper has limitations. He's not the biggest kid and doesn't have the reach you need on the OL in the SEC. Plays hard though. I believe he was a center coming out of HS.

mic
10-28-2016, 09:11 AM
This is all you have to know about our OL coach with his recruiting effort and his evaluating of talent.

4* OL John Simpson from South Carolina signs with Clemson. We had an in with this kid.. Odds were very low we got him but.... The first thing Hev asked about this kid was how big are his hands. He came down that summer for a visit and camp. He was at Bama the previous day . My guy asked John how his trip went , said Bama was awesome hung out with coaches and coach Saban , then said he didn't think Hevesy even knew who he was.. Spent no time with him.
Straight from the kids mouth...
That's how Hev rolls...