PDA

View Full Version : Drought worsens in MS...no relief in sight

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 07:44 AM
Bad news for those of you trying to get a food plot in. Here is the very latest. Over the last two months, Starkville as officially received only 0.14" of rain. The long range models are not showing any relief at all. Really hoping that changes.

Here you can see how the drought has worsened over the last three months.

http://i.imgur.com/bjd5PrQ.png

Here is the current drought map for MS:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20161025/20161025_ms_none.png

Dolphus Raymond
10-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Based on models and opinion, when do you anticipate this dry spell will break? Duck season is a month away and I need water.

BB30
10-27-2016, 08:17 AM
Yea, laid seed down Sunday, was worried about getting it in before the rain last Thursday and germination happening and then no rain again. I don't know if things will work out or not if we don't get a couple rains soon. This has been pretty crazy.

trob115
10-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Bad news for those of you trying to get a food plot in. Here is the very latest. Over the last two months, Starkville as officially received only 0.14" of rain. The long range models are not showing any relief at all. Really hoping that changes.

Here you can see how the drought has worsened over the last three months.

http://i.imgur.com/bjd5PrQ.png

Here is the current drought map for MS:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20161025/20161025_ms_none.png

Just out of curiosity, how far out are you looking? I was hoping we would see some significant rain in the next two weeks.

Dawgbite
10-27-2016, 08:22 AM
I live and hunt right in the middle of that big red splotch. We are not even attempting food plots this year, considering spending the plot money on bunk feeders and pellet feed. Not to hunt over, just to try to help them through the winter.

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 08:22 AM
It's really impossible to tell. Personally, I put very little stock in the models now past 10 days. I say that because in the last few weeks they will show us finally getting rain only to take it out as we get closer. In fact, 10 days ago the GFS was showing us getting about 4" of rain tomorrow and then the skies clearing and the high for the game Saturday in the lower 60's. Now, no rain and record highs in the upper 80's.

I'm not really sure what the ingredients are that have us stuck in this hot dry pattern. Maybe Ref will see the thread and chime in. My guess is there is a huge blocking ridge of high pressure that is just not allowing storm systems to make it into our area.

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, how far out are you looking? I was hoping we would see some significant rain in the next two weeks.

There are two long range models I have access to. The GFS and the CFS. The GFS goes out 17 days and the CFS goes out about 30. The GFS is showing around 0.20" of rain over the next 17 days and the CFS is showing around 2.75" the next 30 days. But again, models past 7 days are HIGHLY inaccurate. I touched on that in another response below. Basically, I'll see what they show for the next 10 days and don't really worry with anything beyond that. If it shows something promising then I just file it away in the something to watch category.

Duckdog
10-27-2016, 09:05 AM
time to put the corn to em boys.

fishwater99
10-27-2016, 09:19 AM
It's all my fault.
This is the first year I have planted as many food plots as I did. Usually only have 2 plots, did 7 this year already and wanted to plant 2 more.

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 09:28 AM
time to put the corn to em boys.

Just don't let the corn get wet. That includes laying on the ground where dew can form. Wet corn can develop a certain fungus on it that when eaten by deer can caused them to contract aspergillosis. That is a lung disease than can do nasty things to a local deer population.

scottycameron
10-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Can we make it 1 damn thread without a political mention please. Discuss politics in poli board. TIA

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Here is the latest run of the GFS showing total rainfall amounts forecast starting from 7:00am today through 7:00am on 11/12. As you can see, it still paints a very bleak picture.

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2016102712/384/qpf_acc.us_se.png

Duckdog
10-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Just don't let the corn get wet. That includes laying on the ground where dew can form. Wet corn can develop a certain fungus on it that when eaten by deer can caused them to contract aspergillosis. That is a lung disease than can do nasty things to a local deer population.

yeah yeah yeah i guess thats why the rest of the nation has no deer. but yes i have feeders out

Bama_Dawg
10-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Yep, and grilling this weekend at the game is "gas only". No charcoal or wood based fires allowed.

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Yep, and grilling this weekend at the game is "gas only". No charcoal or wood based fires allowed.
That's a university rule then. The burn bans don't ban charcoal grills.

Bama_Dawg
10-27-2016, 04:20 PM

Yep, that's a statement from the University...

http://hailstate.com/news/2016/10/27/football-state-local-officials-to-enforce-tailgating-burn-ban-at-oct-29-game.aspx

MetEdDawg
10-27-2016, 05:39 PM
We are in the exceptional drought here in central AL. It's really bad and there's no relief in sight. Bham should break its record of 42 days in a row without rain next week. Oneonta, AL has gone 60+ days without rain. It's been as bad as we've ever seen and there's no rain forecast for at least the next 7 days.

RocketDawg
10-27-2016, 08:31 PM

Well ... not that it really matters ... but the email from the University says that charcoal grills are part of the burn ban: "MSU Police Chief Vance Rice said the language of the ban prohibits the use of charcoal, wood pellets, or other fire cooking methods that produce coals and embers." Could be the Chief is mistaken ... pretty sure our burn ban in Alabama doesn't include charcoal grills.

was21
10-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Pretty much a football drought expected for the two major college football teams in the state north of I-20 as well.

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Well ... not that it really matters ... but the email from the University says that charcoal grills are part of the burn ban: "MSU Police Chief Vance Rice said the language of the ban prohibits the use of charcoal, wood pellets, or other fire cooking methods that produce coals and embers." Could be the Chief is mistaken ... pretty sure our burn ban in Alabama doesn't include charcoal grills.

I saw that but I'm 99.9% certain charcoal grills are exempt. Found this link on FB.

https://m.facebook.com/MSForestryCommission/photos/a.409834545700750.116860.409723455711859/1553381861346007/?type=3&source=48

I'm just going to ask them and see what they say. I'll report back.

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Per the MS Forestry Commission:

thank you for your question. Mississippi State University (MSU) has the ability to set regulations on campus. Please comply with any regulations MSU sets regarding tailgating activities. Our interpretation of the burn ban statute has always allowed charcoal grills, but stressed caution and proper disposal of the coals.

Corn Bread
10-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Per the MS Forestry Commission:

thank you for your question. Mississippi State University (MSU) has the ability to set regulations on campus. Please comply with any regulations MSU sets regarding tailgating activities. Our interpretation of the burn ban statute has always allowed charcoal grills, but stressed caution and proper disposal of the coals.

Vegas, forgive me for I have sinned. Looked at AccumWeather extended forecast. 11/11/16' was target date to plant with rain forecasted that Saturday, Sunday, and several days the next week. Will hold off, In Vegas We Trust.

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Vegas, forgive me for I have sinned. Looked at AccumWeather extended forecast. 11/11/16' was target date to plant with rain forecasted that Saturday, Sunday, and several days the next week. Will hold off, In Vegas We Trust.
It is ok, my son. We've all been guilty of looking at long range forecasts and making plans. I did see the GFS the last run showing a front coming through the 12th. It was just a dry front. At some point this pattern has to change and rain come in. When, I just don't know.

Hail State
10-27-2016, 10:32 PM

As to what you think happens to all the deer that eat the corn that comes out of the back of combines on the thousands upon thousands of corn land in Mississippi?

starkvegasdawg
10-27-2016, 11:12 PM
As to what you think happens to all the deer that eat the corn that comes out of the back of combines on the thousands upon thousands of corn land in Mississippi?

It's not a guaranteed fate they catch that from eating moldy corn. It's just a possibility and due to that, my wildlife professors drilled into us the fact that if you want to feed deer corn, then try to make some effort to keep it as dry as possible. Just like today those warning notices they put in menus about eating raw or undercooked seafood and steak. People eat rare steaks and raw oysters all the time and never get sick, but that possibility is there and if it happens then it's not pleasant.

It's a topic they said would not always be received warmly, as a lot of hunters love them some automatic corn feeders, but like that warning sign in your menu it's not meant to be popular...it's meant to give you warning. If it were a guaranteed fate that it would cause most of the deer herd to develop that illness, the MSDWFP would have outlawed the practice.

shoeless joe
10-28-2016, 07:05 AM
If it were a guaranteed fate that it would cause most of the deer herd to develop that illness, the MSDWFP would have outlawed the practice.

Mdwfp doesn't set the laws. The governor appointed wildlife commission does. And your statement is not true. The commission make 99.9% (prolly 100% but I gave em some wiggle room) of its decisions based on money and not overall health of the herd.

Every biologist with mdwfp was against baiting for health purposes of deer and turkey. Commission ignored them and fully legalized hunting over bait.

Of course, one member of the commission is a major stakeholder in a company that makes a boatload of money from selling deer feeders...