10-26-2016, 11:45 AM
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Wow Harbaugh!

msstate7
10-26-2016, 11:51 AM
I thought saban had a clause in contract that he'd be highest paid HC

Apoplectic
10-26-2016, 12:10 PM
What is obvious to me is that Oklahoma and Miss State are a bunch of suckers.

AROB44
10-26-2016, 12:12 PM
What is obvious to me is that Oklahoma and Miss State are a bunch of suckers.

Matter of opinion....

Cooterpoot
10-26-2016, 12:15 PM
Mullen is next to last in the west in pay. Which is generally where the team finishes.

M.Fillmore
10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Rutgers, Navy, Memphis, Central Florida and South Florida all pay more than Notre Dame.

Ole Hugh comes in a #9 Nationally. How sweet it would be if the NCAA makes the bears vacate the wins and they would have paid Hugh $4.5 million plus for zero wins.

civildawg
10-26-2016, 12:19 PM
He is also 16th in the country. I have also heard multiple times on this board that we shouldnt expect results just based off of a salary number. If you are going to go with this argument then heck let pay him a million more so he can finish 3rd in the west. You really like he would just because we pay him a million more? No

msbulldog
10-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Heck, that job looks like so much fun, I would gladly do it for half that much money.

Apoplectic
10-26-2016, 12:40 PM
He is 16 in pay so we should be in the top 25 at the end of every year. What am I missing?

BB30
10-26-2016, 12:42 PM
He is also 16th in the country. I have also heard multiple times on this board that we shouldnt expect results just based off of a salary number. If you are going to go with this argument then heck let pay him a million more so he can finish 3rd in the west. You really like he would just because we pay him a million more? No

No but a lot of people are arguing Dan should be gone because we pay him 4 mil. Kind of the same thing with that argument (that we shouldn't expect results just based off a salary number). Everything is subjective. Unfortunately 4 million is good enough for 16th in country problem is it is good enough for second to last in our division (the teams we compete against the most). Same argument some of you have with "poor recruiting finishing in top 20 does us no good when that gets us 2nd to last in SEC west" Dan Should be Fired. Picking and choosing what fits the narrative is convenient and easy but rarely has any substance. According to pay, he is finishing right where he is aligned in both recruiting and this season in wins. He has actually overachieved drastically compared to salary and assistant coaching salary. We are still the "poorest" in a Wealthy estate.

civildawg
10-26-2016, 12:46 PM
Well someone tell that South alabama coach and BYU coach they shouldnt beat MSU because their coach makes less money

BB30
10-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Well someone tell that South alabama coach and BYU coach they shouldnt beat MSU because their coach makes less money

Clever, stuff happens, it sucks, we move on.

smootness
10-26-2016, 01:00 PM
He is 16 in pay so we should be in the top 25 at the end of every year. What am I missing?

You're missing his level of pay relative to the other teams we actually play every year. Who cares how his salary relates to the Boise State HC.

EdDawg
10-26-2016, 01:12 PM
We will finish last in the west this year, we could pay someone $1 million to do that.

Just sayin.*

smootness
10-26-2016, 02:10 PM
We will finish last in the west this year, we could pay someone $1 million to do that.

Just sayin.*

It's strange, it's as though they decided on his salary before the year started.

Really Clark?
10-26-2016, 02:22 PM

Just sayin.*

Not after they had 6 straight winning seasons in the SEC west you wouldn't be paying just $1 MIL. There are coordinators in our division making more than that.***

Apoplectic
10-26-2016, 02:40 PM
regardless of the division we play in, we should never have more than 5 losses when we pay top 20 money. NEVER!

Cooterpoot
10-26-2016, 02:50 PM
regardless of the division we play in, we should never have more than 5 losses when we pay top 20 money. NEVER!

Jim Harbaugh had 3 at Stanford.
Nick Saban had 1 at Bama, 1 at LSU, & 4 at Michigan St.
I doubt either coached any less or recruited less. They just have the resources now.

Gutter Cobreh
10-26-2016, 02:51 PM
Will we pay, essentially, a million dollars per win for Mullen this year? That is banking he can get the team to 4 wins.

You could ask the same from Michigan though, as they have to get to 9 wins...

Really Clark?
10-26-2016, 02:53 PM

I don't 5 losses or more either. But if that is the bench mark for SEC west coaches then every school that believes that, outside of Bama, since Mullen has gotten here would have to hire turn over every 2-3 years. So it's they are all overpaid or the price of doing business in this league.

RocketDawg
10-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Wow Harbaugh!

Looks like Alabama needs to pony up.

fishwater99
10-26-2016, 03:14 PM

And recruit in the Top 25 each year too..

Mullen is over-paid Big Time...

dawgday166
10-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Jim Harbaugh had 3 at Stanford.
Nick Saban had 1 at Bama, 1 at LSU, & 4 at Michigan St.
I doubt either coached any less or recruited less. They just have the resources now.

Apopletctic said "more" than 5. That would change Harbaugh's numbers to 2 at Stanford. That would change Saban's numbers to Bama-1 Lsu-0 Mich St. - 2

Cooterpoot
10-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Apopletctic said "more" than 5. That would change Harbaugh's numbers to 2 at Stanford. That would change Saban's numbers to Bama-1 Lsu-0 Mich St. - 2

He also said we should NEVER have more than 5 losses. You just gave 5 examples why he's wrong.

dawgday166
10-26-2016, 03:54 PM
He also said we should NEVER have more than 5 losses. You just gave 5 examples why he's wrong.

Yea, NEVER is a strong word. I do think though that Mullen should very rarely have more than 5 losses with the OOC & KY each year. That means he only has to win 2 more out of 7 games. And the other East team is likely to suck. So that is 1 SEC W win he has to get.

Salary has nothing to do with it. He should be doing his best job (as we all should be) regardless of salary. But he do make a CEO type pay ... so he should think and act like a CEO IMO. That means adequately addressing all areas of his business strategically, planning well, addressing personnel needs (both on & off the field) well, etc. The hours may be long and the pressure intense (although nothing like at Bama), but that is why he makes CEO pay.

And of course every CEO should understand how to manage the game clock *****

BB30
10-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Yea, NEVER is a strong word. I do think though that Mullen should very rarely have more than 5 losses with the OOC & KY each year. That means he only has to win 2 more out of 7 games. And the other East team is likely to suck. So that is 1 SEC W win he has to get.

Salary has nothing to do with it. He should be doing his best job (as we all should be) regardless of salary. But he do make a CEO type pay ... so he should think and act like a CEO IMO. That means adequately addressing all areas of his business strategically, planning well, addressing personnel needs (both on & off the field) well, etc. The hours may be long and the pressure intense (although nothing like at Bama), but that is why he makes CEO pay.

And, he rarely has since being paid what he has been paid. 10-3, 9-4, and then this years abomination whatever it ends up as. I actually think relative the the rest of the NCAA football landscape and looking at the whole picture, up until this season we have gotten about what we have paid for. Especially if you factor in Assistant coaching pay where we barely crack the top 50. In my opinion that is where we need to spend more money for sure.

Especially when the rest of the West is in the top 20 in assistant coaching salary and the top 4 are from the west.

Cooterpoot
10-26-2016, 04:37 PM

I would agree, we shouldn't have many 5/6 win years. But we are going to have them. We've just got a huge resources deficiency. Now, If I was an A&M fan, I'd really be unhappy. They've got more resources than any school in America.

smootness
10-26-2016, 05:57 PM

This doesn't make sense.

msstate7
10-26-2016, 06:02 PM
This doesn't make sense.
Yep. If auburn, bama, om, lsu, and aTm feel the same way paying even more than us, someone has to lose games

WSOPdawg
10-26-2016, 06:21 PM
SEC television network money obviously allowed us to bump the HC salary. Going forward, the AD needs to find another million for the assistant coaches.

But more importantly, with Mullen making this kind of cheddar, WTH is he shopping around for aside from Starkville not being a large metropolitan area? Infrastructure has been upgraded or built new. The university is as clean and beautiful as any in the country. He's gotten everything he's ever asked for, now he needs to deliver.

TUSK
10-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Looks like Alabama needs to pony up.

The $7 mil that MDL makes annually does not reflect a bonus structure that includes 25 Female Teen Virgins sacrificed quarterly...

Due to the rarity of such in the state of Alabama, the added value would likely push his compensation well beyond Harbaugh's....

sleepy dawg
10-26-2016, 06:26 PM

There's a hell of a lot more that goes into than head coaching salary. You're missing a lot.

RocketDawg
10-26-2016, 06:54 PM
SEC television network money obviously allowed us to bump the HC salary. Going forward, the AD needs to find another million for the assistant coaches.

But more importantly, with Mullen making this kind of cheddar, WTH is he shopping around for aside from Starkville not being a large metropolitan area? Infrastructure has been upgraded or built new. The university is as clean and beautiful as any in the country. He's gotten everything he's ever asked for, now he needs to deliver.

Because there are other coaches making more than him. It's an ego thing. He won't be truly happy until he's the highest paid coach in the land. However, I'd like to see him stay at MSU. Maybe eventually he'll stop job shopping.

It's not so much the money ... what can you buy with a $9M salary as opposed to a $4.5M salary? Not much.

Really Clark?
10-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Because there are other coaches making more than him. It's an ego thing. He won't be truly happy until he's the highest paid coach in the land. However, I'd like to see him stay at MSU. Maybe eventually he'll stop job shopping.

It's not so much the money ... what can you buy with a $9M salary as opposed to a $4.5M salary? Not much.

It wasn't the money. External forces and job profile was the issue

dawgday166
10-26-2016, 07:21 PM
The salary doesn't bother me as much as the areas of his job that have been neglected. Those shouldn't be neglect regardless of how much he makes ... if it's only $100K/year.

Strategically evaluating recruiting needs not only in the near term but also in the out years, and filling those needs with quality recruits is the main one. Because of that we may have another year next year similar to this one.

WSOPdawg
10-26-2016, 07:24 PM

Agree but only 15 other positions in the nation paying more... And he's a long way from being Saban and commanding Saban-type money, so he better check his ego or he'll find himself at or below the $3-million mark having to settle for some place else (damn, why didn't I pursue coaching 30 years ago?)