PDA

View Full Version : Good Video: Jason Whitlock Talks About How Money Changes Coaches

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Interesting video that I saw today that I believe applies to what we are currently going through. Food for thought.

The first part of the video talks about Saban, but, if you want to fast forward to the part that makes the point, fast forward to the 2:05 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Xwgti_upo

Todd4State
10-25-2016, 01:01 AM
Interesting comment about PJ Fleck.

dawgday166
10-25-2016, 04:51 AM
I agree about the money. I saw that special with Gus Malzahn showing off his new high dollar Beamer I believe it was. Gus seems to be turning his situation around this year tho. Dan's jetting around the world "getting away from SEC football" as he put it the other day on the clip shown during the KY game, when the game announcer had caught up with him earlier in the week during his morning run. When I watched SEC Coaches Corner before the season he mentioned then too about taking the Europe trip and how it was nice to see another part of the world where "their whole lives didn't revolve around SEC football. No one over there even cares" as he put it. I could almost sense the other coaches discomfort with what he said. May have been my imagination but it did seem a little awkward there for a moment.

When a lot of folks are extremely passionate about something they'll pay for it. Hence Dan, you get to make $4 mill/year. But results matter dude. And I hate to break it to you, but the CEO of GE ... his life pretty much revolves around GE. Same with the Google guys. Same with Gates & Microsoft at one time. You make CEO $$, then your life usually will be like that too, unless you inherited the $$.

One thing that's been an irritant to me is Dan sometimes seems more about the marketing and hype than the substance, especially in the last couple of years.

It ain't about the $$ with Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh. It's the challenge and the conquest part. They don't necessarily care if they're noticed I don't believe, they just want to whip other teams' ass.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2016, 08:23 AM
I agree about the money. I saw that special with Gus Malzahn showing off his new high dollar Beamer I believe it was. Gus seems to be turning his situation around this year tho. Dan's jetting around the world "getting away from SEC football" as he put it the other day on the clip shown during the KY game, when the game announcer had caught up with him earlier in the week during his morning run. When I watched SEC Coaches Corner before the season he mentioned then too about taking the Europe trip and how it was nice to see another part of the world where "their whole lives didn't revolve around SEC football. No one over there even cares" as he put it. I could almost sense the other coaches discomfort with what he said. May have been my imagination but it did seem a little awkward there for a moment.

When a lot of folks are extremely passionate about something they'll pay for it. Hence Dan, you get to make $4 mill/year. But results matter dude. And I hate to break it to you, but the CEO of GE ... his life pretty much revolves around GE. Same with the Google guys. Same with Gates & Microsoft at one time. You make CEO $$, then your life usually will be like that too, unless you inherited the $$.

One thing that's been an irritant to me is Dan sometimes seems more about the marketing and hype than the substance, especially in the last couple of years.

It ain't about the $$ with Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh. It's the challenge and the conquest part. They don't necessarily care if they're noticed I don't believe, they just want to whip other teams' ass.

This is an excellent post.

It's said that success is much more difficult to deal with than adversity. I think we are seeing Dan fail to deal with success.

Saban, Harbaugh, and Petrino don't take European trips. They don't want to get away from football.

Wonder how our players feel when our coach is talking about "getting away".

I just don't think his heart is in it.

BB30
10-25-2016, 08:37 AM
Well even Meyer had burn out. I think it happens to everyone not named Nick Saban, he is just a freak. Not making excuses for Dan. I agree I don't think his heart or head are in it right now and it will be hard for him to regain that fire again here. If he can and does, great, good for both of us. If he can't then we need to move on and find somebody else. The good thing is he has given us a good road map of how you have success here and has shown us some qualities we need to look for in a HC. The apparent stubbornness has seemed to overshadow some of his good qualities. But, you got to give the guy credit, he had this place rocking for several years. When it is time to hire a new coach we need to look for some of the same qualities that Mullen showed especially early on.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Well even Meyer had burn out. I think it happens to everyone not named Nick Saban, he is just a freak. Not making excuses for Dan. I agree I don't think his heart or head are in it right now and it will be hard for him to regain that fire again here. If he can and does, great, good for both of us. If he can't then we need to move on and find somebody else. The good thing is he has given us a good road map of how you have success here and has shown us some qualities we need to look for in a HC. The apparent stubbornness has seemed to overshadow some of his good qualities. But, you got to give the guy credit, he had this place rocking for several years. When it is time to hire a new coach we need to look for some of the same qualities that Mullen showed especially early on.

Another excellent post

I don't blame Mullen for his current mind set. If I had 15 mil in the bank and a hot wife that likes to travel, I'd probably do the same. The problem is that he's paid 4 mil per year to win football games and give 100% effort towards doing that.

I'll be forever grateful and thankful to Mullen for what he brought to MSU, but I also think the shark has been jumped and the genie can't be put back in the bottle. Our staff got fat. It's that simple. They just got fat. Dan Mullen can be an excellent coach when 100% focused and I don't think that's debatable. But keeping Mullen has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of coach he can be when fully focused.

bulldogcountry1
10-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Mullen reminds me of the guy we all know who suddenly goes off the deep end, obsessed with something like crossfit, running, dieting, or Pokemon Go and sort of forgets about the other elements of his life. Ignoring the wins and loses, we aren't getting our money's worth right now from Mullen, mentally speaking. I don't really see anyone getting something like that back.

BeastMan
10-25-2016, 11:32 AM
I don't always agree with Whitlock but he's brilliant.

Taog Redloh
10-25-2016, 12:21 PM
This is why a Chip Kelly should coach at Texas. They need a strong personality to keep those boosters in their place.

JohnnyQuid
10-26-2016, 02:56 AM
I almost always agree with whitlock. he calls em like he sees em

maroonmania
10-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Well I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that the 2016 version of Dan Mullen is nowhere close to the 2009 version. The passion and burning desire to build a top notch football program has been snuffed out either through burnout or just getting fat, dumb and happy from a big bank account. Mullen may get a second wind to want to achieve things as a football coach or may not but right now I'd bet that he (like Meyer) would probably only get that second wind at a new school with a new challenge. I wish he would have the fortitude that Meyer had in just stepping down from a job that he knows his heart is no longer in but I don't see Mullen doing that. I really think that reaching the #1 ranking was the mountaintop for Mullen at MSU and he's done at this point trying to get back there.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2016, 09:50 AM
Well I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that the 2016 version of Dan Mullen is nowhere close to the 2009 version. The passion and burning desire to build a top notch football program has been snuffed out either through burnout or just getting fat, dumb and happy from a big bank account. Mullen may get a second wind to want to achieve things as a football coach or may not but right now I'd bet that he (like Meyer) would probably only get that second wind at a new school with a new challenge. I wish he would have the fortitude that Meyer had in just stepping down from a job that he knows his heart is no longer in but I don't see Mullen doing that. I really think that reaching the #1 ranking was the mountaintop for Mullen at MSU and he's done at this point trying to get back there.

This is why I see a silver lining with this season. Let's say that we win the 3 games that came down to the last play & we are 5-2 right now. Under those circumstances, we are still an awful team but nothing is getting fixed.

However, at 2-5 the entire program itself isn't in dire straits yet, as we have young talent & are putting together a solid recruiting class, but the 2-5 start is creating a sort of "fish or cut bait" type situation where Mullen will be forced to either leave or make the necessary changes to build the program back up to a contender.

Every coach that has ever been at a school for 7+ years pretty much goes through this type of situation at some point. Some adapt & figure things out & some fade into the sun-set. With a 5-2 start, Mullen still thinks he's a genius & nothing changes.

So long as this season doesn't knock us back to 2005, there are some positives to what is going on.

maroonmania
10-26-2016, 09:59 AM
This is why I see a silver lining with this season. Let's say that we win the 3 games that came down to the last play & we are 5-2 right now. Under those circumstances, we are still an awful team but nothing is getting fixed.

However, at 2-5 the entire program itself isn't in dire straits yet, as we have young talent & are putting together a solid recruiting class, but the 2-5 start is creating a sort of "fish or cut bait" type situation where Mullen will be forced to either leave or make the necessary changes to build the program back up to a contender.

Every coach that has ever been at a school for 7+ years pretty much goes through this type of situation at some point. Some adapt & figure things out & some fade into the sun-set. With a 5-2 start, Mullen still thinks he's a genius & nothing changes.

So long as this season doesn't knock us back to 2005, there are some positives to what is going on.

Yea, assuming we finish 3-9, you would think either that would be a tremendous wake up call for Mullen that he has to adapt and make some changes (even with his country club buddies) OR he will just say screw it and keep on keeping on receiving his checks and doing things the same ol' same ol' until we are forced to make changes for him like relieving him of his coaching duties.