PDA

View Full Version : Best opinion yet about the Mullen issue.. My exact feelings

preachermatt83
10-24-2016, 08:30 PM
http://http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/10/24/should-dan-mullen-be-fired/

preachermatt83
10-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Dang. Bad link. Try this. If this don't work somebody smarter than me link it up. http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/10/24/should-dan-mullen-be-fired/

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2016, 08:45 PM
The opinion is fine & probably the majority one. I can certainly deal with another year of Mullen, but I just don't think he can turn it around. Watch the Jake Wimberly videos & tell me how he's going to fix this. So anyway, whether you fire him this year or after next, it seems like it's inevitable at this point. He simply recruited too many guys that can't play. That's the number 1 reason why this team stinks.

As the saying goes, "You lose with the players you acquire not the players you pass on or don't get."

It's true that this staff has to recruit better against the top programs, but it's another thing to recruit guys that can't play. They pulled a double whammy. They lost big recruiting battles & back filled with guys that can't play. Meanwhile, their are players at Memphis, USM, Houston, etc... that can play & we passed on.

So be mad at Mullen for losing AJ Brown, Rod Taylor, Speaks, etc... but also be made because the players that took those guy's place can't play

Dawgface
10-25-2016, 07:09 AM
It's the opinion of many and why he will be retained. But I think we will be kicking the can down the road because I don't see much improvement next year.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2016, 07:43 AM
I am all for Dan coming back as long as changes on the offensive coaches are made. Hev, Sallach, and probably Knox need to be upgraded.

thf24
10-25-2016, 07:59 AM
The opinion is fine & probably the majority one. I can certainly deal with another year of Mullen, but I just don't think he can turn it around. Watch the Jake Wimberly videos & tell me how he's going to fix this. So anyway, whether you fire him this year or after next, it seems like it's inevitable at this point. He simply recruited too many guys that can't play. That's the number 1 reason why this team stinks.

As the saying goes, "You lose with the players you acquire not the players you pass on or don't get."

It's true that this staff has to recruit better against the top programs, but it's another thing to recruit guys that can't play. They pulled a double whammy. They lost big recruiting battles & back filled with guys that can't play. Meanwhile, their are players at Memphis, USM, Houston, etc... that can play & we passed on.

So be mad at Mullen for losing AJ Brown, Rod Taylor, Speaks, etc... but also be made because the players that took those guy's place can't play

I'm not sold we have a roster full of guys who can't play. I think the only position groups we truly have a talent deficiency in are OL and maybe safety (still not convinced it's not a scheme issue for them). I think we can be alright with Mullen next year if he can swallow his pride and re-scheme to get more talented freshmen and sophomores on the field (along with the commonly mentioned staff changes, for which it's sounding like he won't have a choice), and the increased number of young guys who played against UK gives me hope he's coming around to that idea.

Cowboydawg
10-25-2016, 08:12 AM
I'm not sold we have a roster full of guys who can't play. I think the only position groups we truly have a talent deficiency in are OL and maybe safety (still not convinced it's not a scheme issue for them). I think we can be alright with Mullen next year if he can swallow his pride and re-scheme to get more talented freshmen and sophomores on the field (along with the commonly mentioned staff changes, for which it's sounding like he won't have a choice), and the increased number of young guys who played against UK gives me hope he's coming around to that idea.

Yeah I definitely didn't see guys that can't play. I saw heavily recruited 4 star players like Gerri Green and Jamal Peters giving terrible effort on attempted tackles. Redshirt Freshmen like Dedrick Thomas completely whiffing on an outside block...and get mad at himself. Good players like Mark McClaurin out of position and others with very poor discipline. These are not players that can't play. This is lack of effort in the film room and lack of execution on the field.

Overall, it's a combination of poor coaching, lack of effort, mixed in with some youth and a new defensive scheme. A lot of things at play her but all that are easily correctable.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2016, 08:19 AM
You star rating doesn't mean you can play. If so, the NFL would be all 4 & 5 stars.

Cowboydawg
10-25-2016, 09:36 AM
You star rating doesn't mean you can play. If so, the NFL would be all 4 & 5 stars.

You walked right into that one. I agree 100% with your statement. You may not be one of them but the majority of this board complains about not recruiting enough 4 and 5 star players. So why is everybody so obsessed with recruiting rankings?

I 100% disagree that Gerri Green and Jamal Peters can't play. They can play and our coaching staff needs to get them in the right position to make plays. And position...I literally mean position....cb, safety, etc.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2016, 09:44 AM
You walked right into that one. I agree 100% with your statement. You may not be one of them but the majority of this board complains about not recruiting enough 4 and 5 star players. So why is everybody so obsessed with recruiting rankings?

I 100% disagree that Gerri Green and Jamal Peters can't play. They can play and our coaching staff needs to get them in the right position to make plays. And position...I literally mean position....cb, safety, etc.

I'm going to slightly disagree.

This is a confusion between causation & correlation problem.

Being a 4 or 5 star recruit DOESN'T "Cause" you to be a good player

Being a 4 or 5 star recruit DOES "Correlate" with you being a good player.

If you aren't consistently recruiting 4 & 5 star recruits, then eventually you will lack enough good players to compete. If you are winning off the back of 2 & 3 star recruits, then you are living off of better programs mis-evaluating those players & that is not sustainable.

If an NFL or MLB team doesn't have 1st & 2nd round draft picks for 5 years, they will eventually stink. Some thing

Jack Lambert
10-25-2016, 09:55 AM

I think they got the talent. Some of the coaching is not very good. My biggest problem is the play of O-Line and the D Fence not making adjustments during the game. The 3-4 is not working.