PDA

View Full Version : So Our Players Think They are Playing Hard? Viewer Discretion Advised

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Jake Wimberly has being a wonderful job on twitter pointing out why this team sucks.

Folks, we have an effort & heart problem. I'm really not sure how more experience fixes this. Do these guys deserve to wear the maroon & white?

Should fans support this? I really want to believe Mullen can turn it around, but I don't know. Can you teach heart? Looks like he recruited some duds

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790397105789632513

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790396290429485056

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790395680091213824

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790394350840737792

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790389737911713792

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790387856191680512

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790386936967987201

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790385714802417664

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790384046559887360

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790383970848563200

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Yea ... I've been watching this stuff. Sad ain't it?

Dawgface
10-24-2016, 08:37 PM
The first one was enough for me. Little effort.

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2016, 08:40 PM
Yea ... I've been watching this stuff. Sad ain't it?

Yes it is. This is what makes me concerned about weather Mullen can turn this ship around. As far as I can tell, he's got bad apples & I don't know how you fix that.

If these kids don't have enough self pride to be completely humiliated by what's in these videos, I'm not sure a coach can do anything.

Problem is, in order to fix things, Mullen will have to revamp the roster & I'm not sure he has time to do that. Revamping a roster take at least 2 to 3 years.

HaggardDawg
10-24-2016, 08:44 PM
Defensively, it reminds me of Auburn last year...but with less talent. Remember the Auburn LSU game last year? That defense in that game reminds me of our D. No fire, lazy, bad tackling, bad technique.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Bad players with not enough talent and no leadership. Still, I just have a vision of 2015 baseball in my head. If Dan starts a real youth movement (which seems to be bubbling), and hitting the JUCOs heavy, I think a big retooling is already in the works. No way to compete for a title like '16 baseball - but not some epic 3 year rebuild some are predicting.

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Bad players with not enough talent and no leadership. Still, I just have a vision of 2015 baseball in my head. If Dan starts a real youth movement (which seems to be bubbling), and hitting the JUCOs heavy, I think a big retooling is already in the works. No way to compete for a title like '16 baseball - but not some epic 3 year rebuild some are predicting.

Problem is that, like Auburn this year in football, the 2015 baseball team lost with top 10 recruiting classes on the field. This team doesn't have that

Percho
10-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Someone needs to ask. Why are they playing if they do not want to give effort? Where does that begin? Did, "they," get together before the season and say, "we," ain't playing hard this year? If so, why?

It appears to me someone has lost respect.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Yes it is. This is what makes me concerned about weather Mullen can turn this ship around. As far as I can tell, he's got bad apples & I don't know how you fix that.

If these kids don't have enough self pride to be completely humiliated by what's in these videos, I'm not sure a coach can do anything.

Problem is, in order to fix things, Mullen will have to revamp the roster & I'm not sure he has time to do that. Revamping a roster take at least 2 to 3 years.

I'm thinking some of those same thoughts. I said in another thread they tip-toeing thru the tulips and playing patti-cake on a significant amount of plays.

So my thoughts have been (and it has nothing to do with talent; those are some talented guys doing this stuff). I believe they've thrown in the towel; now the question is why?
1) Guys are afraid to make mistakes for some reason.
2) Guys are in horrible shape.
3) Guys are totally unsure on plays - not putting in effort watching film, etc.
And a big one:
4) Mullen has lost the team.

Every coach on this team has coached well quite often (except maybe Hev but he did ok with 2014 OL).

Just a few thoughts I've had. Something ain't right ... not sure what it is.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2016, 08:55 PM
Problem is that, like Auburn this year in football, the 2015 baseball team lost with top 10 recruiting classes on the field. This team doesn't have that
And we have also seen that we don't have to have them. And again, I'm not talking about winning the west, I'm talking about being back on track with the program.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 08:56 PM

Our last game of baseball this past year we started the following...

Mangum
Kruger
Lowe
Collins
Robson
Rooker
Marrero
Gridley
Holland

4 out of the 9 (44.4%) were newcomers. That number could've easily been higher if Alexander were healthy or if Cohen started stovall in place of Holland.

David Luiz's Afro
10-24-2016, 08:57 PM
B-b-but random poster says they're playing hard. Not sure if serious***

Pinto
10-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Richie Brown has been garbage all year. He looks like he is in a pillow fight with only a feather.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:04 PM

Yes but ... some of those guys are 4* and good players. Gerri Green is talented. Bryant is talented. Peters is talented. JT Gray showed flashes of speed and talent 2 years ago. Richie has played very well in past. There are several like that (discounting Oline).

Some of those guys have played very well for us in the past for the most part. They ain't doing that now. Why??

msstate7
10-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Yes but ... some of those guys are 4* and good players. Gerri Green is talented. Bryant is talented. Peters is talented. JT Gray showed flashes of speed and talent 2 years ago. Richie has played very well in past. There are several like that (discounting Oline).

Some of those guys have played very well for us in the past for the most part. They ain't doing that now. Why??

You listed players all on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not crazy about the move to a 3-4, but I'm trying to be patient. Hopefully part of these guys' struggles are due to another DC and a new system

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:10 PM
You listed players all on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not crazy about the move to a 3-4, but I'm trying to be patient. Hopefully part of these guys' struggles are due to another DC and a new system

Maybe .. but flat out pulling up and not hitting anyone. It's becoming quite frequent and obvious too. It's like they are almost afraid to get hurt at times.

On O side of ball it probably is talent with upperclassmen, except for Ross. It is primarily talent with Shump, Hollaway, Oline. Everyone else is pretty young.

ETA: So if I'm D coordinator I'd tell them whatever you decide to do, go balls out. Don't hesitate. We know the system is new to you and it will take some time to get it down pat but whatever you do ... go full speed and knock the shit outta someone dammit.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Maybe .. but flat out pulling up and not hitting anyone. It's becoming quite frequent and obvious too. It's like they are almost afraid to get hurt at times.

On O side of ball it probably is talent with upperclassmen, except for Ross. Shump, Hollaway, Oline. Everyone else is pretty young.

ETA: So if I'm D coordinator I'd tell them whatever you decide to do, go balls out. Don't hesitate. We know the system is new to you and it will take some time to get it down pat but whatever you do ... go full speed and hit someone dammit.
I'm hoping a lot of the tentativeness on defense is a result of guys thinking too much with a new system

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:19 PM
I'm hoping a lot of the tentativeness on defense is a result of guys thinking too much with a new system

Maybe you're right. So what do you think should happen after season with Sirmon & staff?

msstate7
10-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Maybe you're right. So what do you think should happen after season with Sirmon & staff?

I think we need to stick with Sirmon and the defensive staff. We're breaking in a new system without some of the pieces we need to run, but still #6 in sec in total defense. I think adding some nice JUCOs and the guys returning to the same system could pay dividends next season.

I want turnover on offensive staff, not defensive

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:28 PM
I think we need to stick with Sirmon and the defensive staff. We're breaking in a new system without some of the pieces we need to run, but still #6 in sec in total defense. I think adding some nice JUCOs and the guys returning to the same system could pay dividends next season.

I'll buy that. I'm really tired of D staff turnover and if the reason they're playing like this is as you say - then stick with it till they get it. I tended to think like you're thinking but some of the plays I've noticed have made me second guess that.

ETA: We may not have the personnel to run it against SEC W, but we do against 3 of the teams we've lost to. Without a doubt.

Homedawg
10-24-2016, 09:32 PM
But wait, all the people here keep saying peters has to play? Why? He's not a corner. He's not. He's bad bad bad. And I'm being nice.

GTHOM
10-24-2016, 09:33 PM
Motivating your players and putting them in the best position to succeed is a big part of coaching. This team is not only bad, they arent motivated. Why would they wanna be here if they know their coach tried to leave them?? Why would they give ''relentless effort'' and ''strain'' if Mullen didnt/hasn't??? Its obvious our offseason was garbage compared to the other ones. Had a o lineman that played center for Jackie tell me the other day that when we went to bowls under him in the mid 90s, those seasons we had 6 am workouts. The years we didnt?? We didnt go bowling

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:37 PM
But wait, all the people here keep saying peters has to play? Why? He's not a corner. He's not. He's bad bad bad. And I'm being nice.

Everybody's bad and is getting burnt/blown up at times. It ain't just Peters. It ain't Fitz QBing either. We put 38 up on Ky the other night. Should've been plenty to win the game.

Some players are not SEC players. I believe Peters will be, but he ain't yet.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Motivating your players and putting them in the best position to succeed is a big part of coaching. This team is not only bad, they arent motivated. Why would they wanna be here if they know their coach tried to leave them?? Why would they give ''relentless effort'' and ''strain'' if Mullen didnt/hasn't??? Its obvious our offseason was garbage compared to the other ones. Had a o lineman that played center for Jackie tell me the other day that when we went to bowls under him in the mid 90s, those seasons we had 6 am workouts. The years we didnt?? We didnt go bowling

I do tend to believe Dan has lightened up on them in the off season. It's hard to change that course in mid-season. Now we stuck.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 09:44 PM
I'll buy that. I'm really tired of D staff turnover and if the reason they're playing like this is as you say - then stick with it till they get it. I tended to think like you're thinking but some of the plays I've noticed have made me second guess that.

ETA: We may not have the personnel to run it against SEC W, but we do against 3 of the teams we've lost to. Without a doubt.

Hard to blame the defense for USA and byu losses... well certainly not byu. Defense is to blame for Kentucky though

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:46 PM
You are correct state7.

Homedawg
10-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Everybody's bad and is getting burnt/blown up at times. It ain't just Peters. It ain't Fitz QBing either. We put 38 up on Ky the other night. Should've been plenty to win the game.

Some players are not SEC players. I believe Peters will be, but he ain't yet.

Peters will never be an sec corner. Been saying it for 2 months. That's not changing.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Peters will never be an sec corner. Been saying it for 2 months. That's not changing.

Is there any place to put him or is he officially a bust?

Clear PMs BTW

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:54 PM

Don't believe I ever said he'd be a corner. I said I believed he'd be an SEC caliber player. Right now the coaching he is receiving ain't helping a whole lot. They have had him all over the place.

Homedawg
10-24-2016, 09:55 PM
Is there any place to put him or is he officially a bust?

Clear PMs BTW
I think he's a hybrid lb type. If he can't play there then yeah, he is. Sorry just the truth

Homedawg
10-24-2016, 09:56 PM
Don't believe I ever said he'd be a corner. I said I believed he'd be an SEC caliber player. Right now the coaching he is receiving ain't helping a whole lot. They have had him all over the place.

Well that's were he's playing and he's lost. So while he isn't the only one, he isn't good so there's that.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 10:04 PM
Well that's were he's playing and he's lost. So while he isn't the only one, he isn't good so there's that.

He was lost in coverage as a safety as well but was a freshman. Right now still see his best spot as a husky type safety in run support.

Homedawg
10-24-2016, 10:05 PM
He was lost in coverage as a safety as well but was a freshman. Right now still see his best spot as a husky type safety in run support.

Agree. See above. Hybrid lb.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Agree. See above. Hybrid lb.

Yeah. Forgot to say I agree with that post as well

WinningIsRelentless
10-24-2016, 10:18 PM
That guy lost all
Credibility on the first post. Smoke is coming full speed to the middle of the field to try and make a play and the guy cuts behind and smokey has to dive and try to make a play on him and he is talking about effort??? Complete bs calling smokey out on that one.

Our middle lb mr. Brown is god dang horrible and has been for two years now. He can't step in a hole and fill it up to stop the run and he can't get off a block to save his life.

Homedawg
10-24-2016, 10:21 PM
That guy lost all
Credibility on the first post. Smoke is coming full speed to the middle of the field to try and make a play and the guy cuts behind and smokey has to dive and try to make a play on him and he is talking about effort??? Complete bs calling smokey out on that one.

Our middle lb mr. Brown is god dang horrible and has been for two years now. He can't step in a hole and fill it up to stop the run and he can't get off a block to save his life.

If you are following this guy and taking every word he says as gospel, well you got a total lack of football knowledge. Sure he gets some plays right, but many he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about scheme wise. Which is sorta the point.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2016, 10:33 PM
I see guys out of position as opposed to lack of effort or hustle.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2016, 10:35 PM

You were dead on about peters being a corner. I thought there was a possibility but he just ain't a corner.

DudyDawg
10-24-2016, 11:01 PM
Sirmon is barely qualified to be a defensive position coach and we hired him to be our DC. Get what you pay for

Bodaski
10-24-2016, 11:19 PM
After coaching myself over 25 years, I would have come by god unglued doing our self scout. I would embarass somebody and their ass would be sitting. You are not going to be on my defense playing like that , I don't give a damn who you are. That shit would be squashed big time and if they pouted their ass could go too. They damn sure aren't helping us now.

BossDawg
10-24-2016, 11:26 PM
I think it's really a lack of players stepping up and being leaders and, well, Mullen. I'm telling you, and most people see it, but for whatever reason he simply isn't motivated. Whether he's tired of the job or dealing with the bad season with a bad attitude, whatever it is, it's trickling down to the rest of the team - coaches, too. This team needs people to look up to.

Todd4State
10-25-2016, 12:47 AM

How do you explain the lack of blocking on the offensive side of the ball? And I'm not just talking o-line. Wimberly had a tweet where one of our WR's just flat out missed his block.

Todd4State
10-25-2016, 12:49 AM

You've also been telling us that Coman is better than McLaurin.

Todd4State
10-25-2016, 12:53 AM
I think it's really a lack of players stepping up and being leaders and, well, Mullen. I'm telling you, and most people see it, but for whatever reason he simply isn't motivated. Whether he's tired of the job or dealing with the bad season with a bad attitude, whatever it is, it's trickling down to the rest of the team - coaches, too. This team needs people to look up to.

Exactly. This starts from the top. It's not just the defensive side of the ball. It's both sides. And it's not just manifested in tackling and blocking. There are dropped passes and bad routes by the WR's. Our running backs do seem to run pretty hard of course one mistake and they know they're getting pulled.

dawgday166
10-25-2016, 05:05 AM
After coaching myself over 25 years, I would have come by god unglued doing our self scout. I would embarass somebody and their ass would be sitting. You are not going to be on my defense playing like that , I don't give a damn who you are. That shit would be squashed big time and if they pouted their ass could go too. They damn sure aren't helping us now.

Bingo. A lot of what I'm watching has zero to do with talent.

These guys better be glad they don't play for Bear Bryant. I could see another Junction Boys happening. In Bear's book he talked about that center that had made all-conference the year before he got to A&M, so Bear thought he must be a pretty good player. While watching film of the previous season he noticed that center and all the center did was wallow around not hitting anyone. Pissed Bear off so bad that he had made all-conference the previous season, that he swore the center would either earn all-conference the next year cause of his play or he'd run him off. Told his coaching staff that. If I remember correctly, he told the Oline coach if the center made all-conference the upcoming season while playing like that the Oline coach would be fired.

So Bear was riding the center hard as hell in practice and the center walked off the field during the first or second practice ... Bear had never had anyone do that before. Bear was told by another one of the players that the center had done this before and always came back to the team. So that night the center tried to get in line for chow. Bear went up to him and said "Only A&M football players eat here son".

That story reminds me of one of our O linemen I've been watching the last 2 years. He hardly ever, if ever, lays a good hit on someone. He doesn't make all-conference tho.

FISHDAWG
10-25-2016, 07:15 AM
why don't you all just curse them all the day long ... that's really gonna help ... Thanks Shotgun for getting another thread started where everyone just publicly bashes our players ... I guess it makes for good reading material for our potential recruits so what the hell **

lamont
10-25-2016, 08:25 AM
I love when Fishdawg posts- his Sig really says it all:

C-34: on NOV 30, 2015

"But if you think we overachieved this season- you are an idiot. If Mullen wins more than 6 next year- that will be overachieving".

#agenda

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
10-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Who is Jake Wimberly and where does he coach?

louisvilledawg
10-25-2016, 08:39 AM
I see guys out of position as opposed to lack of effort or hustle.

Maybe they're out of position because of lack of effort or hustle.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/3313558/mind-blown-o.gif

louisvilledawg
10-25-2016, 08:40 AM
Who is Jake Wimberly and where does he coach?

He's a radio talk show host at 5pm on 105.9 in jackson.

think he also calls the brandon high school games, but not 100%

Maroonthirteen
10-25-2016, 09:23 AM
That guy lost all

I see the same. Smoke actually did a good job containing the guy. Forcing the guy to cut back toward the sideline and angling him off. Wimbley should have stopped at "Kentucky did a good job of blocking." That is correct. Their OL whipped us across the DL and at LB that play!

What I see in all those videos. Isn't necessarily effort as much as it is linemen (O and D) that are slow. We are not quick enough at OL to cut off DLs slanting into the gap. Our OL isn't quick enough to pull and lead block a LB in the hole. On the other side, Our LBs aren't quick enough or strong enough to avoid and shed a block. OUr DL is getting whipped out by their OL.

One of those clips, he calls our OLB out for lack of hustle. However, what happens on that play. UK's 74 and their LG shoves our DT across the line, then 74 peals off and seals off our LB. Their RG pulls and locks up our MLB. 74 kicked our tail on that play. Our OLB (who is the focus of commentary) sees a hole develop, guesses that hole but the UK RB takes an inside hole and is through the inside hole before our OLB can get to him. Our OLB tried, he just read the hole wrong and the UK RB was quick enough to get through the hole. He says our OLB gave up on the play. Yet the OLB still makes the tackle down field.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Sirmon is barely qualified to be a defensive position coach and we hired him to be our DC. Get what you pay for

We got all we could get at the time. I doubt any coach that has been on the defensive side of the ball under Mullen speaks highly of him. I doubt they are singing his praises to their friends so there is no interest whenever we make a phone call.

Brahmabull
10-25-2016, 10:16 AM
IMO, the play on the defensive side of the ball is all about the constant revolving door of defensive coaching staffs. 95% of that is on Mullen. I get Manny going back on his word so he can "go back home", but pretty much the rest is on Mullen. We have zero continuity on defense. Different coaches, different schemes, players that have had to live thru all that. Players have seen the coaches leave who recruited them. Most players can figure out why they left. It adds up to what we are witnessing this year on the field. I don't know if Sirmon can be a successful DC. He is definitely not there yet and still learning. At this point though, I would say we need to give him and his staff some time if for no other reason than we need some stability there.

HancockCountyDog
10-25-2016, 10:51 AM
I actually think the team is playing hard. I really don't have a problem with the effort in the BYU or Kentucky game. I thought we played hard, we just aren't very talented.

The NFL draft will prove me right this year and next.

Political Hack
10-25-2016, 11:17 AM

I dusky see eye to eye with you, but we disagree here. I think we're in for a major rebuild in the OL, which means it's going to be 2-3 years easily.

HancockCountyDog
10-25-2016, 11:30 AM

Hack is right, football rebuilds just take longer than baseball, especially when you have talent problems up front.

The reason Mullen was able to turn things around so quickly was the talent up front that Croom left him either on he roster or committed.

By my count, Sherrod, Gabe, McPhee, Fletcher, Boyd, the NG who I can't recall, not counting KJ and Chris White.

We need an influx of NFL players on the OL and front seven. That takes time.

Bothrops
10-25-2016, 12:21 PM
The defense is lost. Effort wanes when you aren't sure about what you're doing. Plus, losing several close games is incredibly destructive for morale. Ole Miss is going through the same thing, only at a different level poor play.

BrunswickDawg
10-25-2016, 12:28 PM
I dusky see eye to eye with you, but we disagree here. I think we're in for a major rebuild in the OL, which means it's going to be 2-3 years easily.

Hack is right, football rebuilds just take longer than baseball, especially when you have talent problems up front.

The reason Mullen was able to turn things around so quickly was the talent up front that Croom left him either on he roster or committed.

By my count, Sherrod, Gabe, McPhee, Fletcher, Boyd, the NG who I can't recall, not counting KJ and Chris White.

We need an influx of NFL players on the OL and front seven. That takes time.

Ok - but how did USM rebuild so fast to be competitive? Didn't they bring in a huge amount of JUCOs and grad transfers after the 2014 season (and yes, I know SEC is different). Were they mainly skill guys or lineman? What I am getting at is that it is possible, but you have to hit on everyone and hope your young guys develop quickly.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-25-2016, 01:09 PM
I watched the debacle but thanks Jake for encouraging me relive it again...under a microscope.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-25-2016, 01:25 PM
I went back and looked at this a second time to distinguish who the players were that were involved in these plays. Take this however you want, but one thing that stands out to me is the youth that is involved. Two plays out of 10 involved seniors, the rest, Fr or So, with one being Graham as a jr in his first extensive role as a db. Yes, we've all heard we're young until we're all blue in the face, but again, take it as you wish....There are 16 players that were singled out; 2 Sr, 1 Jr, 7 So, 6 Fr. 13 out of 16 either Fr. or So.

Play 1 - Jamoral Graham, Jr. first full season to play cb after being on offense before.
Play 2 - Fletcher Adams, Fr; Gerri Green, So; Mark McLauren, So.
Play 3 - Keith Mixon, Fr.
Play 4 - Jamal Peters, So.
Play 5 - Ferrod Green, Fr; Michael Story, Fr.
Play 6 - Brandon Bryant, So; Jamal Peters, So; Mark McLauren, So.
Play 7 - Jamal Peters, So.
Play 8 - DeAndre Ward, Sr. Walk-on.
Play 9 - Jamal Claiborne, Sr.
Play 10- Deddrick Thomas, Fr; Keith Mixon, Fr.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Jake Wimberly has being a wonderful job on twitter pointing out why this team sucks.

Folks, we have an effort & heart problem. I'm really not sure how more experience fixes this. Do these guys deserve to wear the maroon & white?

Should fans support this? I really want to believe Mullen can turn it around, but I don't know. Can you teach heart? Looks like he recruited some duds

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790397105789632513

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790396290429485056

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790395680091213824

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790394350840737792

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790389737911713792

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790387856191680512

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790386936967987201

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790385714802417664

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790384046559887360

https://twitter.com/Jakewim/status/790383970848563200

I went back and looked at this a second time to distinguish who the players were that were involved in these plays. Take this however you want, but one thing that stands out to me is the youth that is involved. Two plays out of 10 involved seniors, the rest, Fr or So, with one being Graham as a jr in his first extensive role as a db. Yes, we've all heard we're young until we're all blue in the face, but again, take it as you wish....There are 16 players that were singled out; 2 Sr, 1 Jr, 7 So, 6 Fr. 13 out of 16 either Fr. or So.

Play 1 - Jamoral Graham, Jr. first full season to play cb after being on offense before.
Play 2 - Fletcher Adams, Fr; Gerri Green, So; Mark McLauren, So.
Play 3 - Keith Mixon, Fr.
Play 4 - Jamal Peters, So.
Play 5 - Ferrod Green, Fr; Michael Story, Fr.
Play 6 - Brandon Bryant, So; Jamal Peters, So; Mark McLauren, So.
Play 7 - Jamal Peters, So.
Play 8 - DeAndre Ward, Sr. Walk-on.
Play 9 - Jamal Claiborne, Sr.
Play 10- Deddrick Thomas, Fr; Keith Mixon, Fr.

FISHDAWG
10-25-2016, 06:02 PM
I love when Fishdawg posts- his Sig really says it all:

C-34: on NOV 30, 2015

"But if you think we overachieved this season- you are an idiot. If Mullen wins more than 6 next year- that will be overachieving".

#agenda

he was right - I was wrong ... it will stay there until the end of this miserable season ..... not sure what the #agenda means but I hate to see our players being bashed

HancockCountyDog
10-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Ok - but how did USM rebuild so fast to be competitive? Didn't they bring in a huge amount of JUCOs and grad transfers after the 2014 season (and yes, I know SEC is different). Were they mainly skill guys or lineman? What I am getting at is that it is possible, but you have to hit on everyone and hope your young guys develop quickly.

We don't play in CUSA so the comparison is simply ridiculous.

Name an SEC school in the last 15 years that has rebuilt on the backs of Junior College players.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2016, 07:37 PM

Name an SEC school in the last 15 years that has rebuilt on the backs of Junior College players.

Auburn when they won the natty with Cam Newton

HancockCountyDog
10-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Auburn when they won the natty with Cam Newton

I said backs, not back. Lol.

That team had a lot HS talent all over the roster, but you're right if we can find a dynamic juco QB I'm all for it.

msstate7
10-25-2016, 07:45 PM

I don't understand why the comparison is ridiculous. The level of JUCOs we're getting aren't CUSA level... most all are being offered by sec teams. Had usm got JUCOs that no CUSA teams wanted, the JUCOs wouldn't have worked. Out of the 11 they took, at least 6 were offered by teams in CUSA or equal conferences.

msstate7
10-25-2016, 07:55 PM
We took 6 JUCOs in '09 and only 2 worked out... the big turnaround in '10 wouldn't have been possible without those 2 (McPhee and Chris white). It was another juco in '10 class that really fueled that turnaround in Ballard

HancockCountyDog
10-25-2016, 08:31 PM
I don't understand why the comparison is ridiculous. The level of JUCOs we're getting aren't CUSA level... most all are being offered by sec teams. Had usm got JUCOs that no CUSA teams wanted, the JUCOs wouldn't have worked. Out of the 11 they took, at least 6 were offered by teams in CUSA or equal conferences.

Some are. There are only a handful of elite juco players every year. Since we need some of these guys I see no reason to point out which ones, but let's put it like this, if juco players aren't taking official visits to a school, then usually that school doesn't really like them.

Jucos are meant to help with specific depth issues on a team, not to build a team. Jucos are helpful when you need an 8th OL that can fill in if needed. If you are relying on a juco guy to come in and start, particularly on the OL or DL, you are going to be disappointed.

Dawgfan01
10-25-2016, 08:41 PM

That 3-4 crap is never going to work. No pressure ever and get gashed every other play in the running game.need to put pressure on the qb to help a young secondary because we can't cover

BrunswickDawg
10-25-2016, 08:49 PM
I said backs, not back. Lol.

That team had a lot HS talent all over the roster, but you're right if we can find a dynamic juco QB I'm all for it.

Well, it's shows that the right JUCO talent at a position of need can have a huge impact. Don't forget, Nick Fairley transferred in from Co-Lin that season before. So, no it isn't ridiculous AU would have been an 8-5 team without Cam and Nick.

JohnnyQuid
10-26-2016, 02:43 AM
Holland.

my man