PDA

View Full Version : Latest rumors

basedog
10-24-2016, 05:04 PM
Herman to Texas. Two years of being a head coach, not sure if that is enough to know for a school like Texas gambling on.

Miles to Purdue. Les being early 60's, another gamble knowing the offense he has run with the talent at Lsu, Purdue ain't gonna have that type of talent to win.

Just things I read today.

Bothrops
10-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Les would do more at Purdue than they've been doing in a while.

Spiderman
10-24-2016, 05:32 PM

Not if he runs the I

preachermatt83
10-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Les is just not a very good football coach.

Taog Redloh
10-24-2016, 06:00 PM

Agree, he'll go 7-5 up there.

I think Purdue to needs to pay their own guy, Sumlin. He's their Freesus.

If I'm Texas I don't hire Herman either. I'd probably try to hire Chip Kelly. They need a Pete Carroll/Nick Saban type impact and they need it bad.

missouridawg
10-24-2016, 06:06 PM

If I'm Texas I don't hire Herman either. I'd probably try to hire Chip Kelly. They need a Pete Carroll/Nick Saban type impact and they need it bad.

I think Chipmwould fail at Texas. You need a mayoral, kiss-the-ring-of-rich-alumni type coach in Austin. And Chip ain't that. Heck of a college coach... But he does not have the personality to succeed at Texas in my opinion.

dawgs
10-24-2016, 06:24 PM
I think Chipmwould fail at Texas. You need a mayoral, kiss-the-ring-of-rich-alumni type coach in Austin. And Chip ain't that. Heck of a college coach... But he does not have the personality to succeed at Texas in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree that he wouldn't handle Texas well. He didn't handle Oregon alum stuff very well and that's nothing compared to somewhere like Texas. I think Phil knight makes The Godfather offer to chip in December and brings him back to Eugene. Some oregon alums got tired of chip's lack of ass kissing (not knight, but others), but now that they see what life without chip has turned into, they are plenty happy to have a HC that isn't concerned with making them fill privileged.

msbulldog
10-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I agree that he wouldn't handle Texas well. He didn't handle Oregon alum stuff very well and that's nothing compared to somewhere like Texas. I think Phil knight makes The Godfather offer to chip in December and brings him back to Eugene. Some oregon alums got tired of chip's lack of ass kissing (not knight, but others), but now that they see what life without chip has turned into, they are plenty happy to have a HC that isn't concerned with making them fill privileged.

That makes a lot of sense,
1. Kelly system obviously is not working in the NFL.
2. Kelly like Saban, is not cut out to dealing with players who make more money than they do.
3. Kelly if Phil likes him he is gold!

Leroy Jenkins
10-24-2016, 06:56 PM

Freeze is USM's guy... technically.

Taog Redloh
10-24-2016, 07:18 PM

Alabama thought the same thing, until they finally grabbed their nuts and hired a guy who would put the blow hards in their place.

Spiderman
10-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Herman to Texas. Two years of being a head coach, not sure if that is enough to know for a school like Texas gambling on.

Miles to Purdue. Les being early 60's, another gamble knowing the offense he has run with the talent at Lsu, Purdue ain't gonna have that type of talent to win.

Just things I read today.

The best guys for the Texas job won't take it... Saban and Meyer.

Next level wouldn't take it either, I don't think... Fisher, Swinney, Franklin, Peterson.

So who's left?

Nobody in the SEC, I wouldn't think. Freeze is damaged goods, can't take the chance.. Bielema might have been last year, not looking great about now. Sumlin? Hell no. Malzahn is schizo, but maybe the the one if you HAD to pick a west coach. Believe it or not, Mullen might have a shot, but a long one.

No one out of the east except Jones but, like Mullen he's a long shot.

Big 10? Nope

Pac 10?..... Mora, doubt it. Dykes? I think he's a top 5 interview, and has a chance.

Out of their own conference? Nope

ACC? Now here's a couple of candidates . Fuente. Soild, Texas ties. Petrino,.. but will they raid L'ville 2 in a row? i'd say Fuente more likely.

The rest? Of course Herman an Patterson's names will be floated around. They are probably calls 1 and 2.

So ,IMO, if they hire in the college ranks.....

Top 5 in no order

Patterson
Herman
Fuente
Dykes
Some dude out of left field.....

May get a call. but I'd be shocked if an offer...

Malzahn
Bielema
Mullen
Jones
Morris

May take it but would also be a shock...

Franklin
Fisher

Blow my mind if they offered and hired ,but might be best for the job...

Petrino

I don't have a clue or care to guess any NFL guys.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 07:24 PM
The best guys for the Texas job won't take it... Saban and Meyer.

Next level wouldn't take it either, I don't think... Fisher, Swinney, Franklin, Peterson.

So who's left?

Nobody in the SEC, I wouldn't think. Freeze is damaged goods, can't take the chance.. Bielema might have been last year, not looking great about now. Sumlin? Hell no. Malzahn is schizo, but maybe the the one if you HAD to pick a west coach. Believe it or not, Mullen might have a shot, but a long one.

No one out of the east except Jones but, like Mullen he's a long shot.

Big 10? Nope

Pac 10?..... Mora, doubt it. Dykes? I think he's a top 5 interview, and has a chance.

Out of their own conference? Nope

ACC? Now here's a couple of candidates . Fuente. Soild, Texas ties. Petrino,.. but will they raid L'ville 2 in a row? i'd say Fuente more likely.

The rest? Of course Herman an Patterson's names will be floated around. They are probably calls 1 and 2.

So ,IMO, if they hire in the college ranks.....

Top 5 in no order

Patterson
Herman
Fuente
Dykes
Some dude out of left field.....

May get a call. but I'd be shocked if an offer...

Malzahn
Bielema
Mullen
Jones
Morris

May take it but would also be a shock...

Franklin
Fisher

Blow my mind if they offered and hired ,but might be best for the job...

Petrino

I don't have a clue or care to guess any NFL guys.

What about a college president... jim tressel?

How bout Chris Peterson?

Spiderman
10-24-2016, 07:36 PM

How bout Chris Peterson?

I said Peterson was 2nd level but I don't see him taking it.

Although the best hire Texas ever made came from there, I think

msstate7
10-24-2016, 07:43 PM
I said Peterson was 2nd level but I don't see him taking it.

Although the best hire Texas ever made came from there, I think

Missed it... my bad

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 08:01 PM

How bout Chris Peterson?

Peterson is done moving. Took how many years before he left Boise St? Washington will be his last stop unless he is fired in the next couple of years and he still just may hang it up at that point as well. Add his son's medical issues as well.

Just don't think Texas goes after 64 year old Tressel. In fact if he doesn't throw his name out there very hard this year, he is probably done as a coach.

Obviously you call your top 2-3 guys (it's Texas, you throw bank at Saban and Myer) and make them say no to an incredible offer before you move down the list. Herman is next IMO but if it's not him then I probably try to pull Dabo or Fisher. After that I go out of the box. Check with NFL coordinators like Josh McDaniel, Lenehan, Haley, etc. Coordinators with HC experience in the NFL but not great success but have been considered very good coordinators. Call a guy like Tood Graham if he gets another 9+ win season this year. That will be 3 in 5 years.

DownwardDawg
10-24-2016, 08:08 PM
Peterson is done moving. Took how many years before he left Boise St? Washington will be his last stop unless he is fired in the next couple of years and he still just may hang it up at that point as well. Add his son's medical issues as well.

Just don't think Texas goes after 64 year old Tressel. In fact if he doesn't throw his name out there very hard this year, he is probably done as a coach.

Obviously you call your top 2-3 guys (it's Texas, you throw bank at Saban and Myer) and make them say no to an incredible offer before you move down the list. Herman is next IMO but if it's not him then I probably try to pull Dabo or Fisher. After that I go out of the box. Check with NFL coordinators like Josh McDaniel, Lenehan, Haley, etc. Coordinators with HC experience in the NFL but not great success but have been considered very good coordinators. Call a guy like Tood Graham if he gets another 9+ win season this year. That will be 3 in 5 years.

I would force Peterson to say no. He's the 2nd best coach in America to me (close 2nd). His son is better now so he doesn't have the reasons to stay put like he did in the past.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 08:25 PM
I would force Peterson to say no. He's the 2nd best coach in America to me (close 2nd). His son is better now so he doesn't have the reasons to stay put like he did in the past.

I think he is a great coach as well. He has just never been one to jump very quickly to a new place. Glad his son is better now.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 08:25 PM

Don't know if he's done moving but he can own the Pac-12 probably. Great location in Washington. Be hard to beat his circumstances I'm guessing.

He is a good coach. Don't know if he is #2 in country but he's probably in the top 5. Saban/Meyer, Petrino, Dabo, and maybe Fischer.

preachermatt83
10-24-2016, 08:34 PM

Top 5 for sure!! I think Petrino is #2 though. Meyer is up there pretty high.

preachermatt83
10-24-2016, 08:37 PM
My top 5...
Saban.............................Petrino, Meyer, Peterson, Patterson. Just my humble opinion.

Political Hack
10-24-2016, 08:40 PM
"Les is not a good coach" is something said by people who don't understand all aspects of coaching. Coaching isn't just X's and O's and clock management. Inspiring kids to play hard every game, especially in a place where losing 1 game means the seasons over, is tough. And he's done it for a decade. The man's a magician with his players. They love him. They play their asses off for him. If he does that at Purdue, he will surprise some people. I'd love to see him make a run up there.

Political Hack
10-24-2016, 08:41 PM
My top 5...
Saban.............................Petrino, Meyer, Peterson, Patterson. Just my humble opinion.

What would you say if I told you one of those could be in play?

msstate7
10-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Meyer is the 2nd best HC. He has 3 national championships with 2 of those going through saban ('08 and '14). He's won 12 or more 8 times with 3 different schools out of 14 completed seasons... very likely to be 9 out of 15 this year. He's never had a losing record... 8-5 is the worst year of his career at Florida in '10 after losing tebow.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 08:48 PM

I'd say you're high

preachermatt83
10-24-2016, 08:49 PM

In play for who? Texas or us?

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 08:56 PM
In play for who? Texas or us?

My question too? Gotta be Texas.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:01 PM
"Les is not a good coach" is something said by people who don't understand all aspects of coaching. Coaching isn't just X's and O's and clock management. Inspiring kids to play hard every game, especially in a place where losing 1 game means the seasons over, is tough. And he's done it for a decade. The man's a magician with his players. They love him. They play their asses off for him. If he does that at Purdue, he will surprise some people. I'd love to see him make a run up there.

I think he's pretty decent, but ain't gonna beat upper-tier coaches much unless he learns some things. Wouldn't be able to beat Meyer and Harbaugh at Purdue. He might do well in Big10 W tho.

Tripp McNeely
10-24-2016, 09:04 PM
My question too? Gotta be Texas.

Of course Texas!

Noxdog
10-24-2016, 09:19 PM

And Patterson is who he is alluding to.

Dawg61
10-24-2016, 09:43 PM
Top 5 for sure!! I think Petrino is #2 though. Meyer is up there pretty high.

Urban Meyer has 2 national championships and another undefeated season at Utah. He is better than Petrino.

Political Hack
10-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Lol. Y'all have a good night.

Meyer is better than Petrino. Meyer won big in the SEC. Petrino didn't.

Spiderman
10-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Urban Meyer has 2 national championships and another undefeated season at Utah. He is better than Petrino.

Yep

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 09:52 PM
Lol. Y'all have a good night.

Meyer is better than Petrino. Meyer won big in the SEC. Petrino didn't.

You 17er. You 17ing with us *****

Petrino was fixin to start till his mishap.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 09:53 PM
3 national championships

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2016, 09:58 PM

Urban is the better all around program runner for sure. However, I'd take Petrino as a better offensive coach. Petrino has just never had a teir 1 job. If he took over LSU, he may have 3 Nattys in the next 10 years

Jarius
10-24-2016, 09:59 PM
Meyer also had the advantage of recruiting to Florida and Ohio State. If Petrino gets an elite level job that recruits itself he would compete for a national title on a regular basis. Meyer is the Phil Mickelson of college football which is pretty damn good itself but he has Tiger in his prime in Nick Saban to deal with. I don't want Urban or Petrino back in the SEC, that's for sure.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 10:01 PM
Urban is the better all around program runner for sure. However, I'd take Petrino as a better offensive coach. Petrino has just never had a teir 1 job. If he took over LSU, he may have 3 Nattys in the next 10 years

Kind of like Meyer has 3 national titles in the last 10 years despite taking 1 year off?

msstate7
10-24-2016, 10:02 PM
Meyer also had the advantage of recruiting to Florida and Ohio State. If Petrino gets an elite level job that recruits itself he would compete for a national title on a regular basis. I don't want him back in the SEC, that's for sure.

Urban was 17-6 at bowling green and 22-2 at Utah.

DownwardDawg
10-24-2016, 10:04 PM

Strong!!!!

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2016, 10:05 PM
Kind of like Meyer has 3 national titles in the last 10 years despite taking 1 year off?

I just said Meyer was better. Their talent is similar though.

Both are players drafted in the top 5 overall picks. Meyer has had a mostly healthy career and has won some MVPs, while Petrino has had Tommy John and an ACL tear but when healthy dominated.

Meyer is Madison Baumgarner and Petrino is Stephen Strasburg

The resumes arent similar but talents are

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 10:05 PM
Meyer also had the advantage of recruiting to Florida and Ohio State. If Petrino gets an elite level job that recruits itself he would compete for a national title on a regular basis. I don't want him back in the SEC, that's for sure.

I do want Petrino in the SEC ... in StarkVegas. He can coach. Ain't happening tho.

Jarius
10-24-2016, 10:22 PM

Urban is elite, no doubt. If they have the same talent I think they would split the games with each other. Urban is a better recruiter.

dawgs
10-25-2016, 04:27 PM

Petersen is a west coast guy and not moving. He waited at Boise until Washington offered him (damn shame Oregon decided to stay in house with helfrich instead of going hard after Peterson). I think Washington and Oregon were the only 2 jobs he'd have considered leaving Boise for and he's not leaving Washington now until he retires or is fired IMO. He turned down USC because he didn't wanna deal with all the extra shit that comes from being the HC at a program like USC (like Texas, bama, Ohio st, etc). He likes to be able to coach and recruit and not spend time dealing with kissing too much booster ass. He's like a less neurotic chip Kelly.