PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stat...

Beaver
10-24-2016, 03:37 PM
Mullen's record at MSU: 57-40

Texas Longhorns' record during same time-frame: 57-40
**That includes Texas' 13-1 season in '09

Not sure how I feel about this. Texas has been a dumpster fire since 2010, but they play in a easier conference, and have access to nearly unlimited funds and in-state talent. Maybe Mullen can use this and Dak to steer some recruits from Texas to Mississippi...

missouridawg
10-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Pipe dream post: Charlie Strong to MSU as D.C.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2016, 03:47 PM

I like you're thinking. Charlie great DC not so much hc.

Oh and I know it's a pipe dream as well.

jumbo
10-24-2016, 03:50 PM

yes please

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 04:00 PM
I like you're thinking. Charlie great DC not so much hc.

Oh and I know it's a pipe dream as well.

I'm not sure he can't be a good HC, just never thought Texas was a good fit for him at all. He didn't get 100% support from the get go either. He was very good at Louisville. I actually think a Florida school, some ACC and SEC schools he would do well at. But Texas just didn't seem to be the right fit to me.

DownwardDawg
10-24-2016, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure he can't be a good HC, just never thought Texas was a good fit for him at all. He didn't get 100% support from the get go either. He was very good at Louisville. I actually think a Florida school, some ACC and SEC schools he would do well at. But Texas just didn't seem to be the right fit to me.

I agree. I'm not sold that he's a bad coach, but he's not a great coach either. The Texas gig seemed like a terrible fit from the beginning.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2016, 04:12 PM

I agree. I guess I should've worded it better. What I meant was that he's a better DC than hc. Not necessarily a bad hc.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 04:25 PM
I agree. I guess I should've worded it better. What I meant was that he's a better DC than hc. Not necessarily a bad hc.

Yeah. Gotcha. I think the right fit and right timing for coaches and schools is so important but something we as fans overlook. We get caught up with things that, while made them successful somewhere else, may not translate at the new school.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Yeah. Gotcha. I think the right fit and right timing for coaches and schools is so important but something we as fans overlook. We get caught up with things that, while made them successful somewhere else, may not translate at the new school.

Man that's so true. There's so many factors that go into success or failure outside of just the coaching aspect.

BulldogBear
10-24-2016, 04:57 PM

Such as, say... bend but don't break defense.

GTHOM
10-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Mullen wouldnt let Strong do his thing even if he was coming here. Which he wont. He wont wanna work with somebody who is telling him how to do his job.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 06:51 PM
Such as, say... bend but don't break defense.

No. Not even talking about X's and O's at all really. But to that, it's really hard to find many who are not running some version of that philosophy. The bulk of the DC are really schooled into the bend don't break philosophy. How they scheme and call games changes the perception of what many fans think they do but even most pro teams philosophy is based on the bend but don't break concept.

Todd4State
10-24-2016, 07:00 PM
No. Not even talking about X's and O's at all really. But to that, it's really hard to find many who are not running some version of that philosophy. The bulk of the DC are really schooled into the bend don't break philosophy. How they scheme and call games changes the perception of what many fans think they do but even most pro teams philosophy is based on the bend but don't break concept.

That might be why offenses score so many points nowadays.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2016, 07:24 PM

Yep. Belichik been doing it for years, albeit an extremely physical version. Belichiks philosophy is to make em drive the field and then play great red zone defense, it's why the pats always give up a lot yards but not a lot of points.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 07:30 PM
That might be why offenses score so many points nowadays.

No. Defenses are designed to try and contain offenses. Take Clemson's 2014 year where they were the top or top 2-3 in the country. It was considered a great defense by most people. It was a classic Norm Parker bend don't break defensive philosophy with heavy bend scheme as well. The biggest change was using a lot of Cover 6 to handle spread teams instead of Cover 2 that Parker ran a lot.

DownwardDawg
10-24-2016, 08:16 PM

I prefer Bama's defensive philosophy. Kill everybody then pick up the ball and score.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 08:48 PM
I prefer Bama's defensive philosophy. Kill everybody then pick up the ball and score.

Pretty incredible how much they have scored on defense. He is also another bend don't break disciple but is aggressive play call. Usually plays run on first and second down with zone coverage. He then goes to a lot of hybrid zone man match up calls on 3rd down. They let the routes determine a good bit of what they run. What really makes his defense go is great safety play who can play a Cover 1, match up on vertical routes and run support so he can have 8 in the box on 1st and 2nd downs.

SPMT
10-24-2016, 10:21 PM
Pretty incredible how much they have scored on defense. He is also another bend don't break disciple but is aggressive play call. Usually plays run on first and second down with zone coverage. He then goes to a lot of hybrid zone man match up calls on 3rd down. They let the routes determine a good bit of what they run. What really makes his defense go is great safety play who can play a Cover 1, match up on vertical routes and run support so he can have 8 in the box on 1st and 2nd downs.

Yes, he's always been somewhat of a bend don't break defense but with the main difference being hardass mentality and toughness/meanness. We DO NOT have that mentality. They are extremely disciplined and usually tackle very well.

Saban defenses aren't blitz heavy, bullshit "exotic" scheme crap. Like most successful entities, they do the basics very well. They will blitz on 3rd, what team doesn't.

We also don't have that talent, but this Bama team is even more talented than past teams across the board.

SPMT
10-24-2016, 10:23 PM

And they play with his mentality. Hard, tough, disciplined.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 10:29 PM

We need to try this **** It do work well for Bammer.