PDA

View Full Version : Here are some Batting averages for the fall...

Backwoodsdawg
10-24-2016, 01:15 PM
I got the stats off of the Mississippi State baseball web site and here are a few of interest through the 7 scrimmages so far in no certain order. Some pretty good ones on here hopefully this a sign of good hitters and not the dreaded pitching isn't up to snuff. But been reading the pitching is pretty good too so we'll see I guess!

Player H AB AV
Mangum 7 for 20 .350
Stovall 9 for 21 .429
Gridley 5 for 16 .313
Blaylock 6 for 19 .316
Alexander 7 for 19 .368
Rooker 7 for 18 .389
Bragg 2 for 18 .111
Lovelady 4 for 12 .333
Brown 4 for 16 .250
Poole 4 for 12 .333
Skelton 7 for 12 .583
Smith 4 for 9 .444 (not many ab's)
Marrero 2 for 17 .117
Severance 5 for 13 .385

There are a few other ones but they may have not played in all scrimmages. Gordon's is fairly low as is Vansau's.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 01:21 PM
SSS for everyone... would really like to see marrero start hitting

BB30
10-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Interesting, fall stats are tough to draw conclusions, but by looking at the averages, it looks as though our pitchers may be struggling a little bit. Which I guess is somewhat expected with injuries and some new faces.

Backwoodsdawg
10-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Interesting, fall stats are tough to draw conclusions, but by looking at the averages, it looks as though our pitchers may be struggling a little bit. Which I guess is somewhat expected with injuries and some new faces.

Yeah I agree 30. I almost didn't put it up because it's hard to draw a conclusion and it is early. I do know that the pitching has been really good at times so far with almost all pitchers above 90 with some reaching 96 to 97 so the ability to be very good on the mound is there but I just think we have a pretty good group of hitters ... not as much power as last year but better hitters if that makes since.

HoopsDawg
10-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Yeah I agree 30. I almost didn't put it up because it's hard to draw a conclusion and it is early. I do know that the pitching has been really good at times so far with almost all pitchers above 90 with some reaching 96 to 97 so the ability to be very good on the mound is there but I just think we have a pretty good group of hitters ... not as much power as last year but better hitters if that makes since.

21 AB's is enough to draw some conclusions according to Stats 101. Still a small sample size, but it's safe to say Stovall is swinging a nice bat. We should be able to draw some conclusions after fall ball is complete.

BB30
10-24-2016, 02:36 PM

Yea, There is some good top end potential on the mound. We will need some of the new arms to really step up this year. Regardless of the outcome this year, we are definitely headed in the right direction again as far as becoming a consistent contender in the SEC and on a national level.

maroonmania
10-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Folks keep talking about Bragg being our 3B but every time I saw his Summer League stats or now his Fall Ball stats his batting average is very low.

HoopsDawg
10-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Folks keep talking about Bragg being our 3B but every time I saw his Summer League stats or now his Fall Ball stats his batting average is very low.

Skelton can play 3B. Also Luke could too. Bragg is just an impressive looking guy with his size and exit velocity with his bat.

Also worth mentioning, we have several outfielders who can hit. May be worth moving Rooker to first to get some guys in there like Pool and MacNamee.

Todd4State
10-24-2016, 03:57 PM
It's always grain of salt with this as everyone knows. It's hard to know if the pitchers are working on something specific like trying to refine a certain pitch and I know that sometimes we start hitters off in different counts as well.

We'll see how Bragg does and if he keeps getting better or if he is a batting cage All-American. He did hit for a low average this summer but he also made his summer league's all star team. I know he has looked good in drills but as you can see with the scrimmages that hasn't carried over yet.

Todd4State
10-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Skelton can play 3B. Also Luke could too. Bragg is just an impressive looking guy with his size and exit velocity with his bat.

Also worth mentioning, we have several outfielders who can hit. May be worth moving Rooker to first to get some guys in there like Pool and MacNamee.

Actually I feel comfortable saying that Poole is almost a lock to start at this point. I like the idea of moving Rooker because I think that's his best defensive position anyway.

preachermatt83
10-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Bragg struggles at the plate have been glaring during summer as well as fall. I'm beginning to thing he's just not a very good hitter right now.

HoopsDawg
10-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Bragg struggles at the plate have been glaring during summer as well as fall. I'm beginning to thing he's just not a very good hitter right now.

Gotta give him every opportunity though bc the upside is so high.

preachermatt83
10-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Gotta give him every opportunity though bc the upside is so high.

Oh no doubt.

Backspin
10-25-2016, 02:48 PM
Those are great BAs for the Fall...much higher than last year which tells me two things. There are some guys who can hit well and some of what they're hitting doesn't have much movement. Young pitchers who are trying to throw the ball as hard as they can and run the gun can lose movement in the process. At this level, a 90+ mph fastball that doesn't move is going to get hammered.

Taog Redloh
10-25-2016, 03:02 PM

I suspect Bragg will be a guy that helps us in 2018. Hopefully he and Gordon will provide us some power as 4th year players, but I don't see either of them contributing heavily this year. I hope they both stick around.