PDA

View Full Version : Positive MSU Football Thread

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2016, 11:29 AM
As the saying goes, "Things are never as good as they seem & things are never as bad they seem." I'm not being a sunshine pumper because this team is awful, but that doesn't mean there aren't some components of it that have potential. For example: Even when we were #1 in 2014, we have no idea that our freshman & sophomore class was made up the guys that are now JR & SRs

Here are some positives:

1. Running game. We are figuring out how to run the football. At this point, we run it far better than we ever did last year. With Kylin Hill coming in, Gibson showing burst, Williams getting more touches, & us having the best running QB we've had in years only being a sophomore, I think the future of our run game has potential.

2. Nick Fitzgerald is tough & a good "football" player. Fitz is a good football player. He's fast, he's tough, he blocks, etc.... he's just not yet a good QB or very smart. However, I don't see him getting worse. I think there is a chance that we see a good bit of improvement in his touch & passing instincts between the end of this season & next.

3. Keith Mixon & Malik Dear. While we MUST get some tall receivers to stretch the field, we do have young, talented slot guys that can take it to the house.

4. Simmons, Leo Lewis, & Spencer. Perhaps I'm missing someone, but not only are these guys talented, they appear to have the mentality to be leaders in the future.

5. Keytaon Thompson - The entire future of the program doesn't rest on Fitz alone. This guy appears uber talented

Please feel free to add some more positives to this thread. Things will likely get worse this season, but that doesn't mean a small foundation isn't growing. Hopefully, by the end of the year we'll look at it and say, "Well, we went 3-9, but we found somethings to build on." That's best case scenario right now.

starkvegasdawg
10-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Please feel free to add some more positives to this thread.

Season only has 5 games left.

Jack Lambert
10-24-2016, 11:37 AM
It's about defense and getting stops when needed. I heard it take one full season to learn the 3-4 defense. I guess I heard correctly. I also don't think the DC is making good in game changes when neede.

Cowboydawg
10-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Jesse Jackson making his first catch. I think we will see more of him due to his ability to block on the edge. Assuming we will continue to run more...he can block. Look for him to be more involved in the passing game because of it.

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2016, 11:38 AM
It's about defense and getting stops when needed. I heard it take one full season to learn the 3-4 defense. I guess I heard correctly. I also don't think the DC is making good in game changes when neede.

This is a positive thread. Plenty of other threads to express this in.

Gutter Cobreh
10-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Season only has 5 games left.

And of those 5, it is positive that we were already projected to lose 4 of them. It won't be positive if we get blown off the field by them though.

Also, another positive is that in 11 days basketball team tips off.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 11:50 AM
Was Kentucky our new identity as an offense? We started running a lot. We used our slots in the running game. I like it and it fits a fitz led team. If we are planning on going this route next season, I want to get couch more involved on the outside as a blocker. Maybe we should even consider slimming Johnson down some to use as a blocker in the wr position

msstate7
10-24-2016, 12:15 PM
I'll also this since it's a positive thread... fitz came thru in a big way on the last drive. He saved his best throw last week for the 2nd OT, but of course, Fred dropped it. Maybe fitz is developing an ability to be clutch. Hope so...

Also, McLaurin has shown an ability to make plays. He's not where he needs to be all the time, but hopefully that can be taught. We need a guy that can make plays at safety... I'd continue to start him once Coman is healthy

oldjoedawg
10-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Simmons is really coming along.....great play Sat. night

Mjoelner34
10-24-2016, 12:22 PM
With the money we're saving by not having to crank up the stadium lights for 11am starts, we can up the ante up and offer decent money to some good assistant coaches.**

Johnson85
10-24-2016, 12:41 PM
As the saying goes, "Things are never as good as they seem & things are never as bad they seem." I'm not being a sunshine pumper because this team is awful, but that doesn't mean there aren't some components of it that have potential. For example: Even when we were #1 in 2014, we have no idea that our freshman & sophomore class was made up the guys that are now JR & SRs

Here are some positives:

1. Running game. We are figuring out how to run the football. At this point, we run it far better than we ever did last year. With Kylin Hill coming in, Gibson showing burst, Williams getting more touches, & us having the best running QB we've had in years only being a sophomore, I think the future of our run game has potential.

2. Nick Fitzgerald is tough & a good "football" player. Fitz is a good football player. He's fast, he's tough, he blocks, etc.... he's just not yet a good QB or very smart. However, I don't see him getting worse. I think there is a chance that we see a good bit of improvement in his touch & passing instincts between the end of this season & next.

3. Keith Mixon & Malik Dear. While we MUST get some tall receivers to stretch the field, we do have young, talented slot guys that can take it to the house.

4. Simmons, Leo Lewis, & Spencer. Perhaps I'm missing someone, but not only are these guys talented, they appear to have the mentality to be leaders in the future.

5. Keytaon Thompson - The entire future of the program doesn't rest on Fitz alone. This guy appears uber talented

Please feel free to add some more positives to this thread. Things will likely get worse this season, but that doesn't mean a small foundation isn't growing. Hopefully, by the end of the year we'll look at it and say, "Well, we went 3-9, but we found somethings to build on." That's best case scenario right now.

Positives:
(1) Simmons, Leo Lewis, and Spencer are three play makers to build a defense around. McLauren looks to be a solid piece as well if he keeps getting better. Pretty sure Peters isn't a CB, but he's a good piece if we can figure out how to use him. Our lack of DBs taht can cover will probably mean this won't be a good defense until at least 2018, but we've got some building blocks.
(2) Dear, Mixon, Fitz, and maybe Gibson. Need to find a tall outside receiver (maybe couch? maybe Reggie Todd) and we will have the pieces on offense to be good again. But just as CBs or lack thereof will keep this group from being good until 2018, lack of OL will keep the offense from being good until 2018.

We're basically the reverse of Mullen's 2011 and 2012 teams. Then, we were pretty solid almost all over the field, just needed some playmakers. Now, we have a few playmakers, we just need to fill in teh rest of the team with some solid players. I think next year we will look a lot like the 2009 team. We will have some solid players, just too many holes on the roster for those solid players to overcome. The one thing that will be different is that 2009 team didn't have holes on the OL. That's a little harder to overcome than not having a single deep threat WR.

msbulldog
10-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the positives Gun, refreshing.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Dak is playing very well for the Boys! *****

Ok, something positive. Let me think for a minute.

I like some of the young guys. Smitherman made a play (but missed the tackle) that impressed me. He got speed it looked like too (closed on ball carrier very quickly). Gibson actually looks like an SEC back (where in the hell has he been??) Mixon & Dear got some game. McLauren does some nice things but also screws up some. Leo & Simmons have had some good snaps. Story ain't backing down from no one (he night and day from Desper).

That's all I can think of at the moment. There are some flashes of potential from some of the young dawgs.

mparkerfd20
10-24-2016, 01:42 PM
I'm positive this team will probably not win another game, including Samford. Is that positive enough for you?

Joking aside, we do have some good younger players not playing on the OL. I'm excited to see what they can become over the next few years.

Tbonewannabe
10-24-2016, 04:26 PM
I think we have more of a coaching and/or strength and conditioning problem than a Oline talent problem. With a new Oline coach, I think we could at least be serviceable. I think with some changes we can make a bowl next year with the players we have now. Because of the schedule, we are probably 7 win ceiling but we could get to 6.

Prentis
10-24-2016, 04:50 PM
Nick Gibson, and Aries Williams are legit sec running backs. Alec Murphy might be as well.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 06:48 PM
I think we have more of a coaching and/or strength and conditioning problem than a Oline talent problem. With a new Oline coach, I think we could at least be serviceable. I think with some changes we can make a bowl next year with the players we have now. Because of the schedule, we are probably 7 win ceiling but we could get to 6.

I've thought on this some and I believe that could be one of the main issues. When the O and D lines are standing up so straight with poor pad level and leverage, and then not moving there feet well, that tends to happen more when someone is fatigued.

Mental mistakes also happen more when someone is fatigued.

In 2014 when they talked about how hard they worked I believed it. But for some reason this year I just don't get the feeling they's be wurkin as hard as they was before.