PDA

View Full Version : There's only so much you can do scheme wise on defense.....

HoopsDawg
10-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Here's my ranking of preferred defenses in college football especially at MSU with the type of athlete we recruit and the competition we face:

1. 4-2-5
2. 4-3
3. 3-3-5
4. 3-4

We picked the worst scheme possible in my opinion and we've got a guy running it who has never been a defensive coordinator before. That's the problem when you hire a guy with a pro mentality for a college job. It's just a different game and you are so limited in the amount of time you can practice by the NCAA. Unless you are Nick Saban and let's be honest, they could run any defense at Bama, it's just really hard for the 3-4 to be as multiple and disruptive as it can be in the NFL.

You have to keep it simple in college. Get your best athletes on the field. Stop the run and have some speed in the back end. We just can't get there on any blitzes. UK is not a good offensive team and they could run or pass at will.

Last thing, the days of bigger, hard hitting safeties are over. Yet most coaches have failed to come to this realization. A couple of NFL guys are starting to figure it out. But if I was coaching defense in today's game I would be valuing coverage over hard hitters at the safety spots. Give me 4 guys that can really cover and then a Jamal Peters that can play close to the line of scrimmage.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Scheme isn't the problem at all.

Coursesuper
10-24-2016, 10:46 AM

Exactly, getting whipped is.

EdDawg
10-24-2016, 10:59 AM
We have enough trouble trying to find 4 DB's and you want us to play another one?*

Only half joking, I know in the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 that you play hybrid safety/linebacker.

DownwardDawg
10-24-2016, 11:03 AM
The 3-4 has been garbage every time we've tried it. Ask Chris Wilson how it worked out for him at State.

Irondawg
10-24-2016, 11:07 AM
I'd love to see an interview with Richie or Kivan and see what they thought was the best scheme of the 15 they played under and why.

I honestly have no idea if the 3-4 is more complex than Manny's 4-3 and that's causing issues or if it's just that we now lack NFL quality DL for the first time in a long time. Our LB's have certainly had trouble adjusting for whatever reason (DL not taking up as many blockers maybe?). Seems we cover the perimiter run better but much softer up the middle.

Our secondary has had issues from years and there seems to be a ton of debate if that's talent, coaching, scheme or Dan's forcing of a soft scheme.

Johnson85
10-24-2016, 11:21 AM
We have enough trouble trying to find 4 DB's and you want us to play another one?*

Only half joking, I know in the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 that you play hybrid safety/linebacker.
The thing that is nice about schemees that are heavy on LB and hybrid safety/linebackers is that (1) that is a body type we can recruit and (2) the one thing you have to have in college football now is guys that can tackle in space (which to me screams SS type players).

The SECW is tough because you play Bama, LSU, and Arkansas, where you really need to be able to stop a traditional run first, pro-style offense, and then you also have to have the personnel to handle A&M and UM's (and Bama's when they are in Kiffin mode) offense where they pretty much just get the ball to receivers in space. But LSU showed that the way to stop UM is to have good coverage and then make your one-on-one tackles in space. If you can do that, their offense is easy to stop. If you can't do that, they are going to put points up in bunches. Same thing is true to an extent with Sumlin's although I think there is a little more to his.

maroonmania
10-24-2016, 11:22 AM

Its part of the problem. We have guys like Richie Brown and Brandon Bryant who have definitely regressed in this defense. We've changed DCs under Mullen like changing underwear but this is the first time that veteran players have had to totally change schemes. All of the other DCs that Mullen hired all basically ran the 4-3. I'm no defensive whiz but it may take guys more time to adjust when you change the DC and the base scheme as opposed to just changing the DC.

Thick
10-24-2016, 11:23 AM
We got beat by a former Grambling QB that threw for 49 yards on Vandy. We sat back and allowed him to throw the ball instead of blitzing him to force poor decisions. The last drive is a perfect example of what happens when you rush 3, and you are not Bama. It's not the scheme as much as it's the play calling by our first time DC. Perfect example of saying, we will give up the yardage, and then HOPE their kicker screws up.

Jack Lambert
10-24-2016, 11:40 AM

I disagree. Only having three down lineman you are giving the running back three yards up the middle before anyone hits him and the guards are free to go block down field on the LB.

GTHOM
10-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Yeah lets fire another DC its all his fault. AGAIN. As long as Mullen is on the sideline we are going to be conservative on defense. Doesnt matter if its 4-3, 3-4 or whatever.

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 01:23 PM
I disagree. Only having three down lineman you are giving the running back three yards up the middle before anyone hits him and the guards are free to go block down field on the LB.

With all due respect Mr. Lambert sir,
You played MLB at 212 lbs. You're in the NFL HOF. You were one mean mo' fo'. We don't have any mean mo' fo's on our team. That's the problem. Our down linemen are getting blocked by 1 guy. Our LBs can't shed blocks. We can't tackle well in confined areas, much less in space. We don't hit anyone. We look like we're tip-toeing thru the tulip tips on defense or playing pattie-cake.

If you can't perform (or aren't performing) even the simplest of fundamentals, then to me scheme isn't the issue. Now there is a remote possibility that they are thinking too much and that is causing them to tip-toe and play pattie-cake.

And, once again respectfully, this question may be best referred to Nicholas Saban, otherwise known as The Dark Lord.
Respectfully,
DD166

To add a little bit more: We were supposed to be loaded at LB and thin relative to depth on the D line. We had I thought pretty good sized LBs that could play inside (much bigger than you were). We haven't really played anyone somewhat tough yet except maybe Auburn & LSU .. and we're still getting our asses beat. If they would play their gap responsibilities correctly and hit someone it should be ok.