PDA

View Full Version : I know Keenum threw a tantrum...but Cohen

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:05 PM
is still the odds on favorite to be AD. Word is we talked to Corbin about ushering in the new stadium and he is strongly considering it. If he declines- an LSU asst is Plan B. The LSU asst is considered to be the guy that basebal people think is primed to take over a program soon.

Joe Schmedlap
10-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Promoting a very successful baseball coach to the athletic director job at USCe certainly hasn't worked all that well.

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 08:10 PM
If we hire Cannizaro, that is a McDonnell type hire. You heard it here first.

missouridawg
10-23-2016, 08:15 PM
I heard the Cannizaro thing about two weeks ago... But this is the first I've heard about Corbin. Color me surprised and ecstatic if this comes true.

And the idea of Cohen being AD has grown on me. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Stricklin lacked fire, passion, and an insatiable desire to always force his coaches to address their problems. I don't think Cohen would have a problem looking Dan in the eye and telling him to fix problems A, B, and C. And if Cohen to AD gets us Corbin to Dudy Noble? Holy geez, I'm in.

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 08:17 PM
And if Cohen to AD gets us Corbin to Dudy Noble? Holy geez, I'm in.
I don't know if Corbin would have the same success here he has at Vanderbilt. It takes a different formula here.

Coldsleeve Jr.
10-23-2016, 08:20 PM
I don't know if Corbin would have the same success here he has at Vanderbilt. It takes a different formula here.

Agree. Corbin built his teams with croots from the NE that also wanted an elite education. Plus he has an overwhelming advantage with schollys.

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:20 PM
Promoting a very successful baseball coach to the athletic director job at USCe certainly hasn't worked all that well.

SC is alot like State. He got Muschamp after 5 others turned him down. Hard to say he is a bad AD yet

Thick
10-23-2016, 08:23 PM
No one should complain one bit if Cohen becomes the AD, and Corbin becomes our HC. I personally think Cohen could be a good AD. I believe he loves MSU, he won't accept mediocrity, he will hire/fire when it's time, and he knows our donors pretty well that if he needs support he knows where to go to get it.

CadaverDawg
10-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Now that it's out...I was told a few weeks ago that Cannizzaro may be locked up as our HC if Cohen were to become AD. And like Goat said, that would be a monster hire. I think we are now in great shape regardless, so everyone can relax about the potential Cohen to AD.

dawgoneyall
10-23-2016, 08:29 PM
is still the odds on favorite to be AD. Word is we talked to Corbin about ushering in the new stadium and he is strongly considering it. If he declines- an LSU asst is Plan B. The LSU asst is considered to be the guy that basebal people think is primed to take over a program soon.

Don't know...we have people who think Cohen is a hard ass. Corbin invented hard ass.

But that would be great.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2016, 08:32 PM
No one should complain one bit if Cohen becomes the AD, and Corbin becomes our HC. I personally think Cohen could be a good AD. I believe he loves MSU, he won't accept mediocrity, he will hire/fire when it's time, and he knows our donors pretty well that if he needs support he knows where to go to get it.

Agree. I think he'd be really good.

Tbonewannabe
10-23-2016, 08:32 PM
Can Corbin be successful if he doesn't get 1st round picks in school and have the scholarship advantage?

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Can Corbin be successful if he doesn't get 1st round picks in school and have the scholarship advantage?

Who says Corbin cant get 1st round picks in school? He keeps doing it

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-23-2016, 08:38 PM

^^ This right here. Big difference between recruiting to Vanderbilt and recruiting to Miss State.

msstate7
10-23-2016, 08:40 PM
I doubt Corbin would come here; but if he did, he could recruit here. Corbin steadily puts players in MLB and players will follow him

Joe Schmedlap
10-23-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm not buying Corbin to State. He has it made with a huge recruiting edge over every other school at Vanderbilt. Why would he agree to play by the NCAA rules elsewhere?

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:42 PM
I doubt Corbin would come here; but if he did, he could recruit here. Corbin steadily puts players in MLB and players will follow him

We made a great offer and spiced it with an Associate AD title or some BS- so he is considering...but everybody thinks the guy from LSU is a great Plan B

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:43 PM
I'm not buying Corbin to State. He has it made with a huge recruiting edge over every other school at Vanderbilt. Why would he agree to play by the NCAA rules elsewhere?

the best stadium in college baseball

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 08:49 PM

SC got stuck with Muschump because nobody wants to follow up Spurrier, especially since he quit on the program because he flunked recrootin 101. Tanner knows Muschump is gonna fail. I guarantee you the plan is to let him recroot for a few years and then let a real coach come in and build on it. This formula is used throughout the country.

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:51 PM
SC got stuck with Muschump because nobody wants to follow up Spurrier, especially since he quit on the program because he flunked recrootin 101. Tanner knows Muschump is gonna fail. I guarantee you the plan is to let him recroot for a few years and then let a real coach come in and build on it. This formula is used throughout the country.

excellent post Goat. Dead on

GTHOM
10-23-2016, 08:51 PM
Would Corbin be much better than Cohen as coach??

missouridawg
10-23-2016, 08:53 PM

He wouldn't be much worse.

Joe Schmedlap
10-23-2016, 08:56 PM
the best stadium in college baseball

That stadium would be in Nebraska.

shoeless joe
10-23-2016, 08:57 PM
I like the idea of Cohen as AD...but I really like the reality of Cohen as head baseball coach.

And as far as being a hard ass in regards to Corbin and Cohen...that is how the game was meant to be coached.

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 09:00 PM
excellent post Goat. Dead on

Problem is.....are we in the same situation? It sure appears so. Low on talent, coach that quit, etc.

I don't think we can afford to go the rebuild route though.

EngDawg
10-23-2016, 09:43 PM

I'll say it again, Cohen is a risky hire. He might do well, and he might run the Department into the ground.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2016, 09:48 PM
I'll say it again, Cohen is a risky hire. He might do well, and he might run the Department into the ground.

It seems like a mistake to me.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:04 PM

I think they are about the same caliber. Corbin has a NC and Cohen doesn't have that. I do think he would be able to attract pitchers and players here. One thing to remember about Vanderbilt is they are further along with Corbin right now than we are with Cohen. He's been doing it longer. We're starting to put guys in MLB at a very high rate ourselves so we're not that far behind them in that regard.

And with a baseball centered AD you better believe we would find ways to get the top guys in even with the restrictions. There is more to college baseball recruiting than just the degree and scholarship. One huge thing is the reputation of the coaches. The facilities and fan support matter big time as well. And no those things in and of themselves don't win titles but they do help out with recruiting. Corbin may be able to show us ways that Vanderbilt recruits which could help us have insight long term.

The thing that would excite me the most about Corbin is the NC. We've never had a head coach in baseball with one on his resume. Knowing how to win in a postseason environment can not be understated. It would be interesting to see how he and Cohen would work but I mean interesting in a good collaborative way.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:08 PM
My thought on Cannizarro is he is an outstanding coach as well and will be a head coach himself. He is at LSU which is another winning program. He is a Tulane alum and I was surprised that they hired Vanderbilt's hitting coach over him. LSU might come after him one day if he does well for us and the risk there is he has no head coaching experience.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:11 PM

I do agree. We're likely going to have to hire a new football coach soon and we're going to likely have to deal with Ole Miss trying to get us on probation in football. We need someone experienced and well rounded to deal with that. Along with hiring a new baseball coach. Going from Cohen to LSU's hitting coach would be pretty risky as well.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:13 PM
He wouldn't be much worse.

I'll go ahead and warn everyone. He like to hit the starting pitcher from the day before in the DH spot and some of our fans would be up in arms about that. He then pinch hits the DH.

AlSwearengen
10-23-2016, 10:22 PM
I wonder how many more years Corbin wants to coach. Does his family want to leave Nashville for Starkville (there is that ugly topic again)? He definitely brings instant credibility.

Cannizarro is an exciting hire as well, but Todd makes a good point about lsu coming after him if he does well here.

DogsofAnarchy
10-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Hiring Cohen would be the most dumb ass move in the history of MSU. Not to mention the most weak stance from the President on any issue we have had. It isn't going to happen.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:48 PM
I wonder how many more years Corbin wants to coach. Does his family want to leave Nashville for Starkville (there is that ugly topic again)? He definitely brings instant credibility.

Cannizarro is an exciting hire as well, but Todd makes a good point about lsu coming after him if he does well here.

If you are in college arhletics or even working at colleges odds are pretty good you are going to have to work at a small town. I don't see Starkville as much as an issue because if you really want to live somewhere else it's very possible to live somewhere like Nashville and coach in Starkville it's very possible in today's day in age. Isn't that kind of what Sirmon's family is doing right now? I know his son plays high school football in Nashville. And I can't imagine we would pay Corbin less than Sirmon.

It just comes down to the individual and what is important to him and his family.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:50 PM
And as far as how long Corbin wants to coach he is 55 right now. Only five years or so older than Cohen I believe.

preachermatt83
10-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Cannizzaro has 2 years experience actually coaching baseball... That's it. Give me Corbin ANY day of the week. We are a top program. We don't have to go get some other teams assistant coach.

ScottH
10-23-2016, 11:39 PM
This whole deal has been bizarre.

In a month:

1.Stricklin leaves his destination job for Florida.
2.Cohen apparently wants to leave his dream coaching and the Dudy Noble TajMahal for a job he has virtually zero qualifications.
3.Stricklin and Cohen conspire for weeks behind the scenes to work a plan to get Cohen said AD job.
4.MSU, a Power 5 SEC west school, with a 75MM athletic budget is hiring someone for their now open AD position with zero experience per the state's largest newspaper upon feeling they have an irrefutable source.
5. MSU's President in unprecedented fashion slaps the Clarion Ledger and it's writer. But the media doubles down. Zero new names surface since.
6. And the icing on the cake, the most widely mentioned name to replace Cohen and lead us into the new Dudy Noble is an LSU assistant with 5 years pro scouting experience and a grand total 2 years college assistant coaching experience.

So in an 18 month period we could end up with a new AD with no real experience , new Baseball coach with no real experience, new Football coach from who knows where, and possibly a new President depending if Ms. Keenum gets her alleged wish to go back to Washington.

This should end well.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Cannizzaro has 2 years experience actually coaching baseball... That's it. Give me Corbin ANY day of the week. We are a top program. We don't have to go get some other teams assistant coach.

This is a good point and probably why Tulane ultimately didn't hire him.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 11:45 PM

In a month:

2.Cohen apparently wants to leave his dream coaching and the Dudy Noble TajMahal for a job he has virtually zero qualifications.
3.Stricklin and Cohen conspire for weeks behind the scenes to work a plan to get Cohen said AD job.
4.MSU, a Power 5 SEC west school, with a 75MM athletic budget is hiring someone for their now open AD position with zero experience per the state's largest newspaper upon feeling they have an irrefutable source.
5. MSU's President in unprecedented fashion slaps the Clarion Ledger and it's writer. But the media doubles down. Zero new names surface since.
6. And the icing on the cake, the most widely mentioned name to replace Cohen and lead us into the new Dudy Noble is an LSU assistant with 5 years pro scouting experience and a grand total 2 years college assistant coaching experience.

So in an 18 month period we could end up with a new AD with no real experience , new Baseball coach with no real experience, new Football coach from who knows where, and possibly a new President depending if Ms. Keenum gets her alleged wish to go back to Washington.

This should end well.

Hail State!

MarketingBully
10-24-2016, 12:04 AM

Corbin is Vanderbilt baseball. That program will go to shit if he leaves them. They play in front of tens of fans and their facilities are shit. Corbin would win a national championship here. I don't think coaches will be able to replicate Corbin's success there.

MarketingBully
10-24-2016, 12:18 AM

In a month:

This should end well.

So if Cohen becomes AD, we get Corbin in baseball, we get Chad Morris in football, Cohen keeps Howland and Schaffer happy then secures the necessary funds for the revamped DNF, would you be happy? I could just as easily see Cohen being able to do that then disappoint plus he loves MSU and would do what was best for MSU and not use us as a stepping stone like loafers did.

Todd4State
10-24-2016, 12:58 AM
So if Cohen becomes AD, we get Corbin in baseball, we get Chad Morris in football, Cohen keeps Howland and Schaffer happy then secures the necessary funds for the revamped DNF, would you be happy? I could just as easily see Cohen being able to do that then disappoint plus he loves MSU and would do what was best for MSU and not use us as a stepping stone like loafers did.

I'd be fine with the baseball scenario if it played out like that. I'd pump the brakes on Morris. 2-10 and currently 3-4 makes me leery. Replace Morris with Brohm, Fleck, Scott Frost, or even Norvell and then I would be fine with that.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 01:02 AM

How could anyone at this point have a clue that he keeps Howland and Shaffer happy? Hire 5-14 Morris who at this time is not on any Power 5 schools top 5 candidate list would not make me happy, would be a big strike against him in his first major move as AD. I know these are hypotheticals you are posting but there is nothing in his background that proves several of those will happen to the positive for our program. It could happen. But the odds are not with him.

Todd4State
10-24-2016, 01:02 AM
Corbin is Vanderbilt baseball. That program will go to shit if he leaves them. They play in front of tens of fans and their facilities are shit. Corbin would win a national championship here. I don't think coaches will be able to replicate Corbin's success there.

I agree and I'll tell you why. The big thing about Corbin that he does so well is identify high caliber guys that get through the draft especially on the mound. Let Corbin get those guys and Coggin land the Mississippi guys and look out America.

It's going to be hard for Vandy to find someone who can identify and get guys in like that even with their advantages with scholarships.

Todd4State
10-24-2016, 01:05 AM
How could anyone at this point have a clue that he keeps Howland and Shaffer happy? Hire 5-14 Morris who at this time is not on any Power 5 schools top 5 candidate list would not make me happy, would be a big strike against him in his first major move as AD. I know these are hypotheticals you are posting but there is nothing in his background that proves several of those will happen to the positive for our program. It could happen. But the odds are not with him.

This is true and why I think we need an experienced AD.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 01:22 AM
So we have a power play a few weeks ago leaked by a booster to Bonner. Causes a storm for Keenum trying to force his hand early while trying to work through the process. Now some of the ones who were behind that are attaching the baseball HC possible replacements to push for more support. A homerun hire in Corbin that gets many excited but acknowledging that he may not be the guy in the end but don't worry we have a great plan B. A hot name assistant coach. Who I honestly believe may end up being a good HC eventually, but he is the best plan B we can do? And this info is originating from some of the same people as before. I really really hope Keenum makes the best hire for us but if it is Cohen I hope its not a pressured hire. I know some see this working and if it's the descision I hope it does, but I really think because of the backdoor play and at times dishonest politicking to sway people to support this move, it ends up imploding on us.

Todd4State
10-24-2016, 01:26 AM
So we have a power play a few weeks ago leaked by a booster to Bonner. Causes a storm for Keenum trying to force his hand early while trying to work through the process. Now some of the ones who were behind that are attaching the baseball HC possible replacements to push for more support. A homerun hire in Corbin that gets many excited but acknowledging that he may not be the guy in the end but don't worry we have a great plan B. A hot name assistant coach. Who I honestly believe may end up being a good HC eventually, but he is the best plan B we can do? And this info is originating from some of the same people as before. I really really hope Keenum makes the best hire for us but if it is Cohen I hope its not a pressured hire. I know some see this working and if it's the descision I hope it does, but I really think because of the backdoor play and at times dishonest politicking to sway people to support this move, it ends up imploding on us.

Agree again. This is a very critical hire and we don't need to GOB it up. We need to Byrne it up.

ScottH
10-24-2016, 08:48 AM

Well written

Implosion seems to be fair assessment.

Coursesuper
10-24-2016, 09:46 AM

This very much a power play, it is a power play with two sides both trying to gain something and MSU will be the losers in the long run. Our own inbred politics are going to pull us back down from the modest success we have been having.