PDA

View Full Version : If Mullen takes another job after a 3-9 season......

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 07:22 PM
....that makes all sides look terrible. I just want to clarify that.

1 - People will consider Mullen a quitter who left when it got tough
2 - People will consider our job the lowest of the low because Mullen bailed
3 - Our recrootin class will fall apart

None of this is good. He needs to stay another year, and either win his way out, or fail. Quitters suck, see Steve Spurrier. You people hoping for a Sexton miracle have lost your damned minds.

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2016, 07:27 PM

None of this is good. He needs to stay another year, and either win his way out, or fail. Quitters suck, see Steve Spurrier. You people hoping for a Sexton miracle have lost your damned minds.

We won't lose any juco commits most likely, the only guy it could hurt us with is Thompson, but with the right hire, we keep him.

GTHOM
10-23-2016, 07:28 PM
Well...thats whats gonna happen. Heres the options as you put it, 1. Worry about what ''people think about us'', you know the media will never give us a chance in hell anyway. 2. Watch this horrendous team get worse next year because you know, Kylin Hill aint playing next year, neither is Thompson even if they are better players Mullen wont play them.

lamont
10-23-2016, 07:30 PM
We're not going to be very good next year anyway- Mullen or not. And there will be no excitement around the program. Every media outlet will pick us last in West yet again. Season ticket purchases will drop a good bit

If he leaves- we get to make a hire. New coach brings enthusiasm. People will buy season tickets to see the new guy. Media will be all over us. There will be buzz and excitement

msstate7
10-23-2016, 07:35 PM
We won't lose any juco commits most likely, the only guy it could hurt us with is Thompson, but with the right hire, we keep him.

Good news on JUCOs, but are you sure? Some of them have nice options

GTHOM
10-23-2016, 07:35 PM
We're not going to be very good next year anyway- Mullen or not. And there will be no excitement around the program. Every media outlet will pick us last in West yet again. Season ticket purchases will drop a good bit

If he leaves- we get to make a hire. New coach brings enthusiasm. People will buy season tickets to see the new guy. Media will be all over us. There will be buzz and excitement

We cant do that random we won 19 games in 2 years. We will look bad to the media!!****

TrapGame
10-23-2016, 07:36 PM
If Mullen is here next season he'll have to coach his ass off and fire friends.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it.

BoomBoom
10-23-2016, 07:46 PM

1, bullshit.

2, if Mullen leaves after two losing seasons, he'll claim no one can recruit to Starkville, our recrootin class will fall apart, and we'll look worse.

Maroonthirteen
10-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Outside of the MSU fan base, people already consider us the Vandy of the west. I'm not saying that's true but .... it is the perception.

The fans going to be excited about Hud? Because that is who were are mostly likely hiring.

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:00 PM
The fans going to be excited about Hud? Because that is who were are mostly likely hiring.

5 people will turn it down before he gets the job

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 08:07 PM
.....If he leaves- we get to make a hire.....
Oh, and I forgot - we'll be competing against LSU (or FSU if they get Fisher), Oregon, Texas, Notre Dame, Boston College, maybe USC, Purdue and others.

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 08:08 PM
1, bullshit.

2, if Mullen leaves after two losing seasons, he'll claim no one can recruit to Starkville, our recrootin class will fall apart, and we'll look worse.

Zero, common, sense.

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Oh, and I forgot - we'll be competing against LSU (or FSU if they get Fisher), Oregon, Texas, Notre Dame, Boston College, maybe USC, Purdue and others.

We arent competing with LSU, FSU, Oregon, Texas, or Notre Dame. The people those schools will hire wont come to Miss State. BC has their guy already and we will do better than Purdue.

Goldendawg
10-23-2016, 08:16 PM
I really don't think another year with Dan without major, real changes brings much hope or success for 2017 (very difficult schedule, serious talent issues, etc.). My family is already feeling like the last couple of the Jackie years, only 3 of 12 season ticket holders still going and couldn't give away the other 9 tickets. No, I can't pay him off. I do want what is best for MSU and will be in my seat. Thus far, no blisters from cowbell, far more bad plays than good. Still carry it thought.

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 08:18 PM
We arent competing with LSU, FSU, Oregon, Texas, or Notre Dame. The people those schools will hire wont come to Miss State. BC has their guy already and we will do better than Purdue.

So who do you suggest? If it's Art Briles I'm in. Any other lollypop and we may as well ride out Mullen for another year.

TrapGame
10-23-2016, 08:22 PM
So who do you suggest? If it's Art Briles I'm in. Any other lollypop and we may as well ride out Mullen for another year.

Art Briles would split the fan base. Briles is pretty toxic at this point. But, if Mullen bolts we better shoot for the moon.

GTHOM
10-23-2016, 08:23 PM

Im down with Briles too. The holier than thou crowd will murder us for it for a while till he wins then they will love him. Or we will watch him go somewhere else and win and theyll say man we should have hired him. I think we could get someone if we dont want him thats a lot better than a lollypop though. Fleck, Morris, Venables, I could go on. We''re already paying Danny Two Gloves 4 mil. We can compete

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:25 PM

We have to take a damaged guy like Briles- or a top Coordinator. The two best coaches we have had in the modern era have been those 2 people. Briles for a few years then grooming his son for the job after would be our best case scenario.

Whittingham is still an option
There are other younger options available as well

lamont
10-23-2016, 08:25 PM
Art Briles would split the fan base. Briles is pretty toxic at this point. But, if Mullen bolts we better shoot for the moon.

We hire Briles and our stadium would be full on Opening Day. There really wouldnt be any split

TrapGame
10-23-2016, 08:40 PM
We hire Briles and our stadium would be full on Opening Day. There really wouldnt be any split

I hope so cause I've got no problem with going after Briles. No problem whatsoever.

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 08:40 PM
We have to take a damaged guy like Briles- or a top Coordinator. The two best coaches we have had in the modern era have been those 2 people.
We agree 100% here.

I seen it dawg
10-23-2016, 08:58 PM
There is more on the horizon with Briles....the Baylor shit ain't over yet. Wouldn't count on him being a HC any time soon, or ever.

Tripp McNeely
10-23-2016, 09:01 PM

2 - People aren't dumb...they'll realize it was a "mutual divorce"
3 - All depends on who you hire. A Fleck/Orgeron/Norvell-type could keep most of this class together and probably improve upon it

BoomBoom
10-23-2016, 09:14 PM
Zero, common, sense.

No, I'm just taking another year of Mullen as what it would be, not what I wish it to be.

How do you expect another year of Mullen to go, and then what?

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 09:20 PM
No, I'm just taking another year of Mullen as what it would be, not what I wish it to be.

How do you expect another year of Mullen to go, and then what?

Boom or bust. If the JUCOs pan out, we may hit 6-8 wins and he could get hired away legitimately. If we bust, which is much more likely, we fire him with no consequences, but with a damn good crop of rising redshirt freshmen and/or sophomores.

dawgday166
10-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Boom or bust. If the JUCOs pan out, we may hit 6-8 wins and he could get hired away legitimately. If we bust, which is much more likely, we fire him with no consequences, but with a damn good crop of rising redshirt freshmen and/or sophomores.

Can you remind me of just how often our Jucos have panned out? Especially their 1st year under these coaches?

BoomBoom
10-23-2016, 09:33 PM

Do you not realize what another year of this shit show will do the fanbase and recruiting?

Taog Redloh
10-23-2016, 09:38 PM
Do you not realize what another year of this shit show will do the fanbase and recruiting?

It will do recrootin well. Fanbase doesn't really matter honestly.

See Ole Miss recrootin 2011. That's exactly what will happen with us.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Art Briles? You people are either ignorant or stupid? We aren't hiring Art Briles.

DeputyDawg94
10-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Briles is scum. He helped cover up RAPE!!! Football be damned, I don't want him in this state much less at this university.

BoomBoom
10-23-2016, 09:53 PM

No. We don't pay like Ole Miss. We will limp along, losing several top guys this year after they become convinced Mullen wont be around long. Then have NOTHING going in recruiting next year.

Really Clark?
10-23-2016, 09:57 PM

Maybe. But we definitely lose significant contributors. There will be a significant booster split and that will effect the program. But unless he gets out of those lawsuits when the carousel starts, he won't be sniffing an interviewed by any Power 5 school. Way too toxic with women, Title IX, victim intimidation, etc. if Herman leaves, Houston may talk to him and that is his best case scenario at this time, if he starts getting dismissed from some of this stuff. Which I think it gets worse

RougeDawg
10-23-2016, 10:51 PM

Based upon your assumption, potential coaches only get their information from what is said in the public. Does the thought ever enter your mind that Keenum could tell the potential coaches what occurred behind closed doors and that was the reason for Dans departure? Previously successful employees are give an opportunity to make an exit on their own to keep all parties looking nice. You are looking at this situation on how you would feel about it, but you have limited information on the conversations between Dan, Keenum, and SS previously.

Dan leaves for a different job under any circumstances does not make us look bad. To the logical observer it looks like Dan wanted a change of scenery. We sometimes think too highly of our of program and the mink everyone else puts us in the level we do. To the majority of the nation Bc is equal to our job. Not saying it's accurate but people don't then know who we are for the most part.

What's going to look worse for us, Dan leaving on his own terms or getting fired? Those are the two only realistic options so you tell me which is better for all parties.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:57 PM

You expect us to go 2-10 next year and then flip three Ole Miss commits at the Army All American Game?

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 11:02 PM
Based upon your assumption, potential coaches only get their information from what is said in the public. Does the thought ever enter your mind that Keenum could tell the potential coaches what occurred behind closed doors and that was the reason for Dans departure? Previously successful employees are give an opportunity to make an exit on their own to keep all parties looking nice. You are looking at this situation on how you would feel about it, but you have limited information on the conversations between Dan, Keenum, and SS previously.

Dan leaves for a different job under any circumstances does not make us look bad. To the logical observer it looks like Dan wanted a change of scenery. We sometimes think too highly of our of program and the mink everyone else puts us in the level we do. To the majority of the nation Bc is equal to our job. Not saying it's accurate but people don't then know who we are for the most part.

What's going to look worse for us, Dan leaving on his own terms or getting fired? Those are the two only realistic options so you tell me which is better for all parties.

Exactly. IF we fire Dan at any point the University is not going to announce that publicly. THAT would be like what Ole Miss did to Cutcliffe. We're going to say Dan resigned on his own terms. It doesn't matter if he was actually fired like Felker and Jackie- we said they resigned as well too. Normally it's better for a business to avoid the "fired" word if at all possible for many reasons even if that was the case. Even if the media questions it and it's obvious always leave some doubt rather than to leave none at all.

preachermatt83
10-23-2016, 11:04 PM
2 - People aren't dumb...they'll realize it was a "mutual divorce"
3 - All depends on who you hire. A Fleck/Orgeron/Norvell-type could keep most of this class together and probably improve upon it

norvell??? Surely you are kidding!! Fleck, Brohm, Briles, Orgeron. Too 5. In no particular order.

preachermatt83
10-23-2016, 11:07 PM
norvell??? Surely you are kidding!! Fleck, Brohm, Briles, Orgeron. Too 5. In no particular order.

Briles, ONLY if he is cleared of any serious charges. If not then I dont want him.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 11:09 PM
Briles, ONLY if he is cleared of any serious charges. If not then I dont want him.

I agree on Briles. We don't need another NCAA public enemy number one coaching us while Ole Miss comes after us.

MarketingBully
10-24-2016, 12:27 AM
I'd like to see us go after Chad Morris. Great offensive mind but more importantly a great recruiter. I think we could easily get him to at $3.5 mil plus bonuses.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 12:43 AM
I'd like to see us go after Chad Morris. Great offensive mind but more importantly a great recruiter. I think we could easily get him to at $3.5 mil plus bonuses.

No way we should anyone hire a guy who is 5-14 $3.5 MIL. He has to win out or 4-1 maybe to finish 7-5 (would put his HC record to 9-15) with a close loss to Navy to start being considered. Guys at lower programs that are hired after just one winning season in two years have been notoriously flops. Need to see a better track record over at least 3-4 years.

Dawgfan77
10-24-2016, 06:10 AM
What's the issue with norvell?
For me
1. Fleck
2. Brohm
3. Frost
Make them three turn you down first.

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 08:09 AM
What's the issue with norvell?
For me
1. Fleck
2. Brohm
3. Frost
Make them three turn you down first.

This is first year and it's a big concern that he is just riding what the previous staff built. You need to see 3-4 years at school. It's no guarantee but the odds are greater you hire a better coach. Never hire a guy off of one win or one good season.

WSOPdawg
10-24-2016, 10:02 AM
Can you remind me of just how often our Jucos have panned out? Especially their 1st year under these coaches?

Agree that MOST seem to take a while but we have had a few exceptions:

Robert Bean
JJ Johnson
Darius Slay
Kevin Bouie

But agree, it seems like it's been mostly MISS than hit.

msstate7
10-24-2016, 10:12 AM

Robert Bean
JJ Johnson
Darius Slay
Kevin Bouie

Chris white
Ballard
Cox played in 13 games in '13
McPhee had 12 TFL, 5 sacks in '09

dawgday166
10-24-2016, 10:42 AM

Robert Bean
JJ Johnson
Darius Slay
Kevin Bouie

Chris white
Ballard
Cox played in 13 games in '13
McPhee had 12 TFL, 5 sacks in '09

I think for next year to be a pretty good year, the Jucos all need to be ready to play from day 1 practically. I'm not paying that close of attention to it, but I keep reading that "if the Jucos pan out". We have a 4* OT that we're still trying to get to pan out 2 years later. Usually our Jucos redshirt it seems to me, or play very limited snaps. At a lot of other places they quite often make significant contributions.

I do scratch my head some tho as to how 2010 turned out so well using Jucos. What was different that year than any of the others? Only thing I can think of is different staff members.

Jarius
10-24-2016, 10:50 AM
I think Orgeron is going to end up doing well enough to keep the LSU job. If he does well and doesn't get that job we need to hire him. If he doesn't work out he will at least stock the pantry for us. We are going to suck next year no matter who the coach is. Keeping Mullen on for another signature Mullen recruiting class is just going to put us further behind for the next coach.

TrapGame
10-24-2016, 10:53 AM
I think Orgeron is going to end up doing well enough to keep the LSU job. If he does well and doesn't get that job we need to hire him. If he doesn't work out he will at least stock the pantry for us. We are going to suck next year no matter who the coach is. Keeping Mullen on for another signature Mullen recruiting class is just going to put us further behind for the next coach.

O is not an egotistical asshole. He admitted his faults and began to rely on his asst. coaches to do their jobs. If LSU passes on O they're fools. We need to scoop him up like a fumbled ball.

Tripp McNeely
10-24-2016, 11:51 AM

hate to tell you brother, but Norvell is arguably the best recruiter of any of those you've listed. He'll be a hotter name than Fuente (and he's 100% a better recruiter...NOW) if he stays for more than a year!

PonderThis1
10-24-2016, 04:03 PM
hate to tell you brother, but Norvell is arguably the best recruiter of any of those you've listed. He'll be a hotter name than Fuente (and he's 100% a better recruiter...NOW) if he stays for more than a year!

This ^^^^^

Also, what about Kendall Briles?

Really Clark?
10-24-2016, 04:11 PM
This ^^^^^

Also, what about Kendall Briles?

Very young (33) and I want to see him actually implement his system away from Baylor and what his dad set up. It looks like he can call the plays within a system that was already set up but needs more time.