PDA

View Full Version : If Mullen wants to be here and if he makes the necessary staff changes...

HoopsDawg
10-23-2016, 03:18 PM
I want him here next year. He can run a program. He can develop players. He is excellent with QB's. And he has a good offensive system. Recruiting has been the issue. Maybe he was looking elsewhere. Maybe we don't have a full staff of great recruiters. Maybe we rested too much on the mantra of being a developmental program. Or maybe it's a combination of it all. But Mullen can coach. He has built our program up. What we are dealing with now is a result of 1 really bad recruiting class and lack of talent at a couple of key positions.

The vocal minority on here needs to chill out b/c there is a lot of stupid stuff being said.

civildawg
10-23-2016, 03:20 PM
How many times does he have to lobby for other jobs before you get it through your thick skull that he doesn't want to be here? Got damn man get a grip

msstate7
10-23-2016, 03:22 PM
How many times does he have to lobby for other jobs before you get it through your thick skull that he doesn't want to be here? Got damn man get a grip

What jobs has he lobbied for? I'd like to see the list

civildawg
10-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Miami, Georgia, Maryland. Lsu this year. I'm sure there are more, but I'm not connected like some people

HoopsDawg
10-23-2016, 03:25 PM

Every coach in America leverages open jobs for more money after a good season. Hugh Freeze and his agent did it with the UF job. No one knows what really happened other than Mullen listened, just like anyone would. If we get a new coach and he is successful, he will do the same thing.

msstate7
10-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Every coach in America leverages open jobs for more money after a good season. Hugh Freeze and his agent did it with the UF job. No one knows what really happened other than Mullen listened, just like anyone would. If we get a new coach and he is successful, he will do the same thing.

Yep. If everyone here were Houston fans, I guess they would've called for Herman's head for taking calls last season.

I've read on here that we should make a so-and-so coach tell us no. Well if said coach tells us no, should his current school fire him?

Really Clark?
10-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Miami, Georgia, Maryland. Lsu this year. I'm sure there are more, but I'm not connected like some people

No to Miami, they contacted first but he did interview and try to get that job, no to Georigia, the conversation was if Smart and Herman fell through would he interested as one of the back up interviews, Maryland was fake, Maryland 24/7 site guy started that rumor, LSU??? Good grief media floats his name out there as someone they would put down and you turn that into Mullen lobbying for job.

civildawg
10-23-2016, 03:41 PM
Ok well you and hoopsdawg continue to support Mullen. And next year when we continue to get steam rolled by everyone in the sec west I will be there to say I told you so

msstate7
10-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Ok well you and hoopsdawg continue to support Mullen. And next year when we continue to get steam rolled by everyone in the sec west I will be there to say I told you so

Honest question... how does calling for Mullen's head 24/7 do anything but hurt us? All the message board chatter does is potentially hamstring us recruiting-wise imo

HoopsDawg
10-23-2016, 03:48 PM

No one, and by that I mean no one is happy with this 2016 season. I have also been very critical of Mullen on several things. I just have enough sense to look at the bigger picture. We have a pretty solid class right now. Could be really solid if we close with Gay, Avery, Abram, and Guidry. Changes need to be made on the staff. Mullen has to take a hard look at everything from the strength coach to his best buddy. And he needs to do what's best for MSU. Mullen's not going to get fired so we need to start pulling in the same direction for once.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Honest question... how does calling for Mullen's head 24/7 do anything but hurt us? All the message board chatter does is potentially hamstring us recruiting-wise imo

Yeah, our coaches screw up recruiting enough on their own without our help.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2016, 03:59 PM
I want him here next year. He can run a program. He can develop players. He is excellent with QB's. And he has a good offensive system. Recruiting has been the issue. Maybe he was looking elsewhere. Maybe we don't have a full staff of great recruiters. Maybe we rested too much on the mantra of being a developmental program. Or maybe it's a combination of it all. But Mullen can coach. He has built our program up. What we are dealing with now is a result of 1 really bad recruiting class and lack of talent at a couple of key positions.

The vocal minority on here needs to chill out b/c there is a lot of stupid stuff being said.

Always respect your opinion. People on here get to emotional either way. I think you always call it fairly both good and bad without all the emotion. Agree with everything you just said.

civildawg
10-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Recruiting?! Are you serious right now? Mullen has failed at recruiting even when we were #1 in the country. He lost 2 highly rated prospects in a position of need that could freaking walk to our campus and you're worried about message board material about our coach? Fine, I love Mullen and will never say another bad word about him again

Dawgfan77
10-23-2016, 04:01 PM
What jobs has he lobbied for? I'd like to see the list

Maryland offer was on the table. Miami job was to until richt was let go at uga. This combined with no ext and he wanting out was the main reason why he hired sexton

msstate7
10-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Recruiting?! Are you serious right now? Mullen has failed at recruiting even when we were #1 in the country. He lost 2 highly rated prospects in a position of need that could freaking walk to our campus and you're worried about message board material about our coach? Fine, I love Mullen and will never say another bad word about him again

'15 recruiting class was actually pretty solid

sandwolf
10-23-2016, 04:02 PM

This is pretty much where I stand as well.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-23-2016, 04:03 PM

Delusional is at a all time high for some on here!! How many of these if,if,if Dan really wants to be here post do we have to read!!
Damn it boy!

HoopsDawg
10-23-2016, 04:09 PM
'15 recruiting class was actually pretty solid

Yep, the 2013 class is killing us. And the 2014 class was below average. Can't go back to back that bad.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2016, 04:16 PM

I can go along with this, but he's got a steep, multi- year rebuild ahead of him.

1. When you ask a coach to turn over his entire staff, your also asking him to hire people that he's probably never worked with or has any chemistry with.
2. This is in addition to #1, when you replace the entire staff, what are the odds that the players have any clue what they are doing next year? Look how out of position & screwed up we look after replacing the entire defensive staff. If you do it the offensive staff as well, it may be a total cluster 17.
3. We do nothing well as a team. So who do you fire? I can make a case for firing every assistant, but we know you can't do that.
4. Is Mullen's heart in it? This may be the main one. If you could tell that Mullen was hell bent on turning this around, then I could go along, but I know I'm getting 110% commitment from a new guy. Is 75% of Mullen worth 100% of PJ Fleck or Brohm?

I like the Dan Mullen in his prime as MSU's football coach. I really do. I am forever grateful for what he has done & the experiences he has brought to this university. However, there's a good chance that Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall & all the king's horses & all the King's men just can't never ever ever put him back together again.

What say you?

HoopsDawg
10-23-2016, 04:28 PM
I can go along with this, but he's got a steep, multi- year rebuild ahead of him.

1. When you ask a coach to turn over his entire staff, your also asking him to hire people that he's probably never worked with or has any chemistry with.
2. This is in addition to #1, when you replace the entire staff, what are the odds that the players have any clue what they are doing next year? Look how out of position & screwed up we look after replacing the entire defensive staff. If you do it the offensive staff as well, it may be a total cluster 17.
3. We do nothing well as a team. So who do you fire? I can make a case for firing every assistant, but we know you can't do that.
4. Is Mullen's heart in it? This may be the main one. If you could tell that Mullen was hell bent on turning this around, then I could go along, but I know I'm getting 110% commitment from a new guy. Is 75% of Mullen worth 100% of PJ Fleck or Brohm?

I like the Dan Mullen in his prime as MSU's football coach. I really do. I am forever grateful for what he has done & the experiences he has brought to this university. However, there's a good chance that Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall & all the king's horses & all the King's men just can't never ever ever put him back together again.

What say you?

1, 2, and 3 all touch on the same thing-his staff. He needs to take a look at every coach and remove the ones who have consistently under-performed on the field and on the recruiting trail. At the very least, I would demote Hev to TE coach like Urban did at UF and go and hire the best O-line coach/recruiter you can find. Also, your TE coach needs to be one of the best recruiters on the staff b/c they have less on field responsibility. So that's a position I would be looking to either promote Brad Peterson or find another guy with strong MS ties. We haven't been able to replace Tony Hughes.

As for #4, Mullen is a competitor. He hates to lose. I was actually encouraged by the amount of young guys he played yesterday. That tells me he is already looking to the future.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Yeah what's been lost in the bitch fest is that we played a ton of young guys last night on both sides of the ball. I thought that's what everyone wanted? If you're gonna play the young ones there's gonna be some growing pains. There is some talent in the young players.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Yeah what's been lost in the bitch fest is that we played a ton of young guys last night on both sides of the ball. I thought that's what everyone wanted? If you're gonna play the young ones there's gonna be some growing pains. There is some talent in the young players.

Absolutely, we actually started Simmons and Peters. Nick Gibson got some carries. We got the ball to Dear and Mixon some. Story started out of necessity. Couch and Jesse Jackson played in place of Myles. Spencer and Fletcher Adams played on the D-line. And we continue to play a lot of the other guys from the 2015 class which is the building block class of the future.

Cowboydawg
10-23-2016, 05:10 PM

What say you?

I don't think Mullen has reached his prime yet. He's still a relatively young college football coach that's learning the hard way. Stubborn and arrogant? Yes...which is why he hasn't reached his prime yet. He's fielded some pretty good football teams here despite his flaws. But they are catching up to him now. So now what's he going to do?

It's going to take a few years but if he stays and we are patient, I think he will hit his prime and continue to be a very successful coach here. If he's gone after a couple of years I think we will see him have success wherever he goes.

Political Hack
10-23-2016, 05:21 PM

Winning solves everything. If he'd commit and win, people would be fine. He hasn't shown the capacity to commit to the program the way a head coach should. And he won't have a chance to prove that until the offseason. If he makes that commitment in the offseason and its pays dividends, everyone will forgive him as soon as the W's start rolling back in.

However, I don't see him staying. Maybe he can't find a better job now, but until people believe he really wants to be here, he'll have a large contingent of the fan base that's ready for him to go.

GTHOM
10-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Its year 8. No matter how you spin it this is Mullen's baby. He did this and he is gonna have to sleep in the bed he made. There's no excuse for this, no matter what y'all wanna say in support of him the facts are this. 1. He has tried to leave more than once. 2. Him hiring Jimmy Sexton is a tell tale sign he wants out. 3. He is a lazy at best recruiter. 4. He has allowed his country club buddies to tag along far too long. 5. He is a micromanager, he wont even stay out of the defense's way. 6. He cannot manage a clock very well. 7. His fire and ambition is gone or at least not what it was. Its time. I cant believe people actually want to give him another year to see this get worse. Dak Prescott bought him another 2 years. This year is the fruition of the same stupid mistakes he's made since the start. The Egg Bowl of 2012 was a red flag, we ignored it. Egg Bowl of 14 was an even bigger one but we ignored it and continued to pack out the stadium just to have him try and leave us. Its over. Torch the barn and kill the rats

msstate7
10-23-2016, 05:55 PM
Its year 8. No matter how you spin it this is Mullen's baby. He did this and he is gonna have to sleep in the bed he made. There's no excuse for this, no matter what y'all wanna say in support of him the facts are this. 1. He has tried to leave more than once. 2. Him hiring Jimmy Sexton is a tell tale sign he wants out. 3. He is a lazy at best recruiter. 4. He has allowed his country club buddies to tag along far too long. 5. He is a micromanager, he wont even stay out of the defense's way. 6. He cannot manage a clock very well. 7. His fire and ambition is gone or at least not what it was. Its time. I cant believe people actually want to give him another year to see this get worse. Dak Prescott bought him another 2 years. This year is the fruition of the same stupid mistakes he's made since the start. The Egg Bowl of 2012 was a red flag, we ignored it. Egg Bowl of 14 was an even bigger one but we ignored it and continued to pack out the stadium just to have him try and leave us. Its over. Torch the barn and kill the rats

So, you're saying Mullen should've been fired after the egg bowl in '12? If not '12, then certainly after the egg bowl of '14?

No mention of '09, '10, '11, and '13 by GTHOM... do I see a pattern? Should losing to om being a firable offense for the new coach also?

GTHOM
10-23-2016, 06:01 PM
So, you're saying Mullen should've been fired after the egg bowl in '12? If not '12, then certainly after the egg bowl of '14?

No mention of '09, '10, '11, and '13 by GTHOM... do I see a pattern? Should losing to om being a firable offense for the new coach also?

Come on state read. I said it was a warning sign, not a fireable offense. I think when you add it all up for him, he is fireable. If this were a normal situation, meaning had he not been stubborn and hardheaded past the point of reason, had he not been trying to leave its a no brainer that he deserves another year. But thats not the way it is. The OM teams he beat in 10 and 11 were God awful. And he had to beat them in 2011 just to make a bowl after going 9-4 the year before. Dak saved him. Name me a coach that has lost 3 in a row to OM that wasnt on the hotseat. Not to mention the fact that we were better than them in 14, and looked like hot garbage in 15 with our best QB ever running the show and rumors of ''Dan is leaving'' all week.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 06:08 PM

If you are the head football coach at Mississippi State you need to beat Ole Miss more than they beat you. Winning the perception battle in state helps us more than you would realize in so many ways on and off the field.

DancingRabbit
10-23-2016, 06:13 PM
If you are the head football coach at Mississippi State you need to beat Ole Miss more than they beat you. Winning the perception battle in state helps us more than you would realize in so many ways on and off the field.

He's 4-3 vs OM

msstatelp1
10-23-2016, 06:14 PM

What say you?

If DM gets back to showing the fire he had when he first got here, I'd be all for him staying. Even though we lost he at least started playing a few of the more talented players. Hopefully that indicates he realizes that changes must be made and what those changes are.

oldwave
10-23-2016, 06:17 PM

I agree in theory. Serious question. What MSU coach has ever done that ?

bluelightstar
10-23-2016, 06:19 PM
He's 4-3 vs OM

Will soon be 1-4 in the last 5.

TrapGame
10-23-2016, 06:32 PM
Mullen is not going to turn this around. For him to do that he'd have to admit he let it happen. It's not in his DNA.

GTHOM
10-23-2016, 06:32 PM
Will soon be 1-4 in the last 5.

We won in 11 and 13

DancingRabbit
10-23-2016, 06:42 PM
We won in 11 and 13

He said "soon to be". If we lose this year, he will be correct.

12, 14, 15, 16?

A couple of those will be vacated though.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Mullen is not going to turn this around. For him to do that he'd have to admit he let it happen. It's not in his DNA.

He doesn't have to admit anything. He's had one bad year, this year and the vocal minority on here can't handle it.

GTHOM
10-23-2016, 06:48 PM
He doesn't have to admit anything. He's had one bad year, this year and the vocal minority on here can't handle it.

Tell me how 2012 was a ''good year'' what was our best win?? A derek dooley coached TN team?? We got our ass beat by a bad OM team and a bad Northwestern team in the bowl. If Dak doesnt win the 13 egg bowl hes probably already gone. Our best win last year was mainly bc of Dak at Arkansas. The defense damn sure wasnt stopping anybody. Dak saved Mullen like it or not. Mullen deserves some credit for developing him but other than that Mullen has had 1 year here where he overachieved and that was 2010. We should have finished better in 14 than we did so dont say that

TrapGame
10-23-2016, 07:40 PM

You make sound like this bad year just come out of nowhere and attacked Mullen for no reason whatsoever. This bad year has been coming. The warning signs were all over the place. And the question really should be does Mullen really want to clean up this mess?

smootness
10-23-2016, 07:42 PM

He has lobbied for the LSU job? What the...

dawgday166
10-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Who do we replace assistants with that have proven track records as position coaches on the O side of the ball?

All our D position coaches seemed to have had proven track records (especially Baker & TBuck), yet our D looks horrible. That may be cause Sirmon hasn't ever been a coordinator, or Dan insists on running a certain D style, or (and the more likely reason they are so soft) the S&C coach isn't very good. And maybe a combination of all 3.

When we get good assistants they bolt at the first opportunity. Is that because of 1) Starkville, 2) MSU in SEC W, 3) working for Dan?

1 & 3 is my guess.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:18 PM
He's 4-3 vs OM

Yes he is. Hence he is still around.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:19 PM
I agree in theory. Serious question. What MSU coach has ever done that ?

Jackie if my memory is correct.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2016, 10:24 PM
Jackie was 7-6 against Mississippi.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Jackie was 7-6 against Mississippi.

Tyler may have on the field as well. Won 74,76,77 off the top of my head. Croom of all people was close to .500 against them- 2-3. Croom had a better record against them than Bellard.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2016, 12:08 AM
Tyler may have on the field as well. Won 74,76,77 off the top of my head. Croom of all people was close to .500 against them- 2-3. Croom had a better record against them than Bellard.

You're right, Todd, Tyler did well against them. I'm gonna have to look at his record and see how good it was(onfield results only, none of those forfeited wins crap lol)