PDA

View Full Version : Coin-Flip Plays at the end of BYU, SA, and UK

Virgil Caine
10-23-2016, 12:30 PM
As bad as we've been, the end-of-game luck has been killing us. While everyone is all up in arms about firing Mullen, we should take into account how unlucky we've been in these end-of-game situations. Add in the close loss to LSU, to this Our end-of-game luck will probably regress next year and our record will reflect our ability a little more. If you want to look beyond the late game FG's that were essentially a coin-flip, we've also out-gained 4 of our 7 opponents in total yards. This team shouldn't be a 2-5 team.

I'm not at all trying to paint us as a good team or saying we belong anywhere other than the basement of the SEC West at this point, but the bad luck has influenced our thinking about Mullen.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2016, 12:40 PM
As bad as we've been, the end-of-game luck has been killing us. While everyone is all up in arms about firing Mullen, we should take into account how unlucky we've been in these end-of-game situations. Add in the close loss to LSU, to this Our end-of-game luck will probably regress next year and our record will reflect our ability a little more. If you want to look beyond the late game FG's that were essentially a coin-flip, we've also out-gained 4 of our 7 opponents in total yards. This team shouldn't be a 2-5 team.

I'm not at all trying to paint us as a good team or saying we belong anywhere other than the basement of the SEC West at this point, but the bad luck has influenced our thinking about Mullen.

It's not about our record. We are a bad team.

Did we have bad luck last night when we got a scoop & score when Kentucky was about score?

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-23-2016, 12:45 PM
EXACTLY we're a really bad coached team.. No other way to sugar coat or make excuses for this team.

I seen it dawg
10-23-2016, 12:50 PM
All anyone sees is the bad luck play at the end, no one remembers the ones throughout a game that goes our way and puts us in position to get the bad luck play at the end. It all evens out.

You are what your record says it is.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-23-2016, 12:58 PM
I agree there is know such thing as bad luck on the field.. Players and coaches lose the damn game not some mythical bad luck Crap.

lamont
10-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Think about the 3 teams you just mentioned. The fact those 3 games against those 3 teams were even in doubt at the end tells you everything you need to know

bluelightstar
10-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Think about the 3 teams you just mentioned. The fact those 3 games against those 3 teams were even in doubt at the end tells you everything you need to know

And people need to understand, we got lucky to have a chance against Kentucky. They kicked our ass to the tune of 554-362, 26 first downs, and they turned the ball over twice. And yeah, we outgained South Alabama *BY THREE YARDS.*

Virgil Caine
10-23-2016, 01:32 PM
All anyone sees is the bad luck play at the end, no one remembers the ones throughout a game that goes our way and puts us in position to get the bad luck play at the end. It all evens out.

You are what your record says it is.
That's just not true. Luck doesn't even out over a single game sample size. We've had the end-of-game plays go against us, and we've outgained 4 of our 7 opponents.

When it comes to the responses about quality of coaching and quality of team, I agree. There are a whole lot of legitimate complaints about him and our coaching staff. I'm not even trying to claim we are even a top 50 team right now, but we are not as bad as our record reflects. If our team was 4-3 right now, people would be a hell of a lot more patient with Mullen.

MoreCowbell
10-23-2016, 01:58 PM
EXACTLY we're a really bad coached team.. No other way to sugar coat or make excuses for this team.

There has definitely been some coaching flaws this year(I think Sirmon was a terrible hire) but at some
Point the players have to execute. Our "leaders" aren't stepping up. Coaching may have put us in some bad positions but if players execute(Graves FG's, Ross's Drops, Richie missed tackles, Fitz tripping over feet, dropped INT's,, Bryant's terrible play so far, I could go on and on) this team would still not be very good and would still have coaching flaws but we would be 5-2/4-3 at worst. Just gotta make the plays at some point. It's just one of those years. I think we will be alright moving forward as long as a few staff changes are made(Hevesy mainly). There's young talent to work with going forward in the future. This season sucks but I truly believe it will be an outlier when we look back in 2/3 years. It happens to majority of programs and even the bigger name ones after losing a transcendent player like Dak(Not to mention Bear Wilson, Fred Brown, B. Brown and T. Calhoun who were all leaders). FLA after Tebow, AU after Cam, Texas after McCoy and many others. The fact before the season people were saying we would go 7-5/8-4 was ridiculous IMO, we had to have known a down year was coming. If Graves makes kick, Ross catches ball in endzone, and a guy doesn't make a 52 yd field goal(that he will never in his life make again) we are fine. All about perspective. If this same product and results is on the field next year then it is time to worry but right now forget records and bowls, I just want them to learn from these losses and use it as fuel going forward into 17' and 18'.

I seen it dawg
10-23-2016, 02:08 PM
That's just not true. Luck doesn't even out over a single game sample size. We've had the end-of-game plays go against us, and we've outgained 4 of our 7 opponents.

When it comes to the responses about quality of coaching and quality of team, I agree. There are a whole lot of legitimate complaints about him and our coaching staff. I'm not even trying to claim we are even a top 50 team right now, but we are not as bad as our record reflects. If our team was 4-3 right now, people would be a hell of a lot more patient with Mullen.

I just disagree. There is 150 some odd plays in a football game and placing win or loss on one, albeit easy, isn't correct. Too many of the same type of plays that happen at the end of a game happen during the course of a game that no one reflects back on. To the extent that sometimes said play going our way is only thing putting us in position to have the play at end mean anything.

Example the fumble return for score last night. They don't fumble there and we are most likely done. But they did fumble, and we picked it up, didn't fall down, and actually scored.

Too much emphasis is put on one play at the end of the game. But it's the easiest thing to do.

PassInterference
10-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Against SA, BYU, and UK the only coin flip we should have is which offensive play to we want to run for a TD.