PDA

View Full Version : Coach O - what changed?

msstatelp1
10-23-2016, 10:09 AM
While watching LSU last night, Musberger said he had talked to Orgeron about how Coach O had changed since his HC days at OM. Orgeron basically said that what had changed was that as first time HC he tried to control everything...offense, defense, etc. He didn't trust his coordinators to get the job done. He didn't let them do their jobs. He also said that as the OM HC, he treated all the players like he did the defensive line, ie, yelling and screaming at them to get them motivated. He found out the hard way that this doesn't necessarily work with QBs.

Tries to control everything?
Won't let the OC or DC do their job?
Doesn't get players motivated during the game?
Sound like someone we all currently know?
Maybe its a first time HC thing?

Dan could learn a thing or two from Coach O.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2016, 10:13 AM
While watching LSU last night, Musberger said he had talked to Orgeron about how Coach O had changed since his HC days at OM. Orgeron basically said that what had changed was that as first time HC he tried to control everything...offense, defense, etc. He didn't trust his coordinators to get the job done. He didn't let them do their jobs. He also said that as the OM HC, he treated all the players like he did the defensive line, ie, yelling and screaming at them to get them motivated. He found out the hard way that this doesn't necessarily work with QBs.

Absolutely, but Dan's problem is that some of his other coaches are incompetent. I'm actually thankful that Dan gets micro-manages the offensive line.

All of what Coach O says is true, but it only works if you have quality assistants.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2016, 10:14 AM
I thought about this last night also. Coach O hasn't let his ego get in the way. You can tell he's a completely different coach this time around. He did a great job as interim HC at USC and is doing a great job now. He made adjustments last night that I haven't seen at LSU in a long time. He saw real quick that the side to side crap doesn't work against unm. He changed his attack to go straight at them and he pounded them into submission.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Absolutely, but Dan's problem is that some of his other coaches are incompetent. I'm actually thankful that Dan gets micro-manages the offensive line.

All of what Coach O says is true, but it only works if you have quality assistants.

I posted this in the game thread, but if we were to fire Dan today (I know we won't), who would be interim coach? We don't have anybody. That's how weak our staff is.

Cooterpoot
10-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Meh, O isn't an actual head coach. He hasn't hired any coordinators or coaches. He's playing out the string is all.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:19 AM
There is a very real possibility he is LSU's next coach. That's good for us if we go coach hunting in the offseason. Texas will probably get Herman. The rest of the competition for us would be Baylor, Purdue, likely Houston, and maybe Notre Dame. This offseason may turn out to be pretty good to look for a coach. Oh and Franklin may have just bought himself a other year at Penn State.

Todd4State
10-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Meh, O isn't an actual head coach. He hasn't hired any coordinators or coaches. He's playing out the string is all.

Not true. He brought in Pete Jenkins to coach the d-line and Ensminger to be the OC.

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2016, 10:20 AM

No, but he fired Cam Cameron and put Emsinger in his place. Looks to have been a good move.

Cooterpoot
10-23-2016, 10:21 AM
The only way O gets the LSU job is if they win out. Not happening. And Chad Morris might have jumped Herman in the pecking order now.

dawgday166
10-23-2016, 10:25 AM

I've heard Saban say the same type of thing. That it's difficult to do, but to be successful that is what you need to do.

Cooterpoot
10-23-2016, 10:26 AM
No, but he fired Cam Cameron and put Emsinger in his place. Looks to have been a good move.

No, that was done regardless of O. Power people made that call. Fact is, he hasn't had to fire anyone he hired. He hasn't made the dicisions a head coach has to make. Everything is there. He can't hire coaches, so he has no choice. People jumping on the O wagon arent looking at the real situation. Not to mention he has Fournette and a ton of NFL talent.
Don't disagree with a head coach bein a manager that let's his people do a job, but the best are hands on to a point.

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2016, 10:28 AM
No, that was done regardless of O. Power people made that call. Fact is, he hasn't had to fire anyone he hired. He hasn't made the dicisions a head coach has to make. Everything is there. He can't hire coaches, so he has no choice. People jumping on the O wagon arent looking at the real situation. Not to mention he has Fournette and a ton of NFL talent.

Absolutely wrong. It was documented in a NOLA.com article that O was asked about changes to the staff before Les was fired and he insisted on Cam being gone and made the staff changes.
http://http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/09/lsu_didnt_fire_cam_cameron_ed.html

starkvegasdawg
10-23-2016, 10:39 AM
I posted this in the game thread, but if we were to fire Dan today (I know we won't), who would be interim coach? We don't have anybody. That's how weak our staff is.

You know and I know if Mullen got canned today they'd name Hev interim. It's the most MSU move there is.

mcain31
10-23-2016, 11:54 AM
You know and I know if Mullen got canned today they'd name Hev interim. It's the most MSU move there is.

It'd go to Gonzalez. Hevesy would get fired with Mullen

GTHOM
10-23-2016, 12:02 PM
The only way O gets the LSU job is if they win out. Not happening. And Chad Morris might have jumped Herman in the pecking order now.

I'd gladly take him if they dont want him

WSOPdawg
10-23-2016, 12:16 PM
There is a very real possibility he is LSU's next coach. That's good for us if we go coach hunting in the offseason. Texas will probably get Herman. The rest of the competition for us would be Baylor, Purdue, likely Houston, and maybe Notre Dame. This offseason may turn out to be pretty good to look for a coach. Oh and Franklin may have just bought himself a other year at Penn State.

And Penn State beating Urban last night solidifies Franklin so there's not another job opening to potentially draw one of our HC targets. (Hmmm, but then again, Franklin secures his spot at Penn State so there's one less landing spot for Sexton to dump Mullen at). :confused:

DownwardDawg
10-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Don't disagree with a head coach bein a manager that let's his people do a job, but the best are hands on to a point.

You are wrong on most of this. He doesn't have to win out either. He can lose a close one to Bama and win the rest and he will be their next coach.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-23-2016, 12:24 PM

Season is over anyway, a weak assistant as interim would still end up with same record as Mullen.

lamont
10-23-2016, 12:30 PM
I thought about this last night also. Coach O hasn't let his ego get in the way. You can tell he's a completely different coach this time around. He did a great job as interim HC at USC and is doing a great job now. He made adjustments last night that I haven't seen at LSU in a long time. He saw real quick that the side to side crap doesn't work against unm. He changed his attack to go straight at them and he pounded them into submission.

firing Cam Cameron was the best thing he did. Ensminger as OC gives them a chance to beat Alabama and win the West