PDA

View Full Version : Keytaon Thompson

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Just thought I would post this so people can look towards the future.

MUST GET THIS GUY ON CAMPUS. He's an early enrollee

Also of note, I believe many of Fitz's problems stem from the lack of experience throwing the football in high school. Due to that, his development was stunted & slowed down because he didn't have the opportunity to develop the instincts & rhythm for the passing game that kids that come from passing offenses would have.

That being said, Thompson throws a lot & also runs a lot. All good things, all good things

http://i.imgur.com/CpNoR8q.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/G9Q6RvL.jpg

lamont
10-21-2016, 08:37 AM
This kid is putting up Prescott numbers in HS

Ifyouonlyknew
10-21-2016, 08:39 AM
As long as Mullen is here Keytaon is here.

msstate7
10-21-2016, 08:43 AM
11 yards per pass... I like that

MarketingBully
10-21-2016, 08:54 AM

Agreed. Same with Hill.

BB30
10-21-2016, 09:01 AM
Yea, kid is going to be really good. Has a high ceiling and already seems to have a high floor. Will be interesting to watch the QB competition unfold especially since he is an early enrollee. Sucks that we probably won't have bowl prep and the extra practice time to get him familiarized with everything.

HSVDawg
10-21-2016, 09:28 AM

That doesn't make me feel too good about our chances.

MStateDawg
10-21-2016, 09:59 AM

My bigger concern would be who becomes the new LSU coach. I've seen scuttlebutt that Chip Kelly is ready for a return to college ball.

Taog Redloh
10-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Just another reason we need Mullen to work out for us.

DownwardDawg
10-21-2016, 10:05 AM

Perfectly stated.

maroonmania
10-21-2016, 10:13 AM

Yes, I'm starting to feel like Keytaon Thompson = Jimmy Chitwood. Better keep Norman Dale, I mean Dan Mullen, to get Jimmy Chitwood, I mean Keytaon Thompson on the team.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-21-2016, 11:05 AM
My bigger concern would be who becomes the new LSU coach. I've seen scuttlebutt that Chip Kelly is ready for a return to college ball.

That won't matter. LSU has 2 QB's committed & again as long as Mullen is here Keytaon wants to be at MSU.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2016, 11:17 AM
I'll say it till I'm blue in the face: it's perfectly OK to be pissed at Mullen for shopping himself, having awful recruiting classes 3 & 4 years ago and missing on golden triangle guys last year. It's also ok to be pissed at Mullen for Hevesy still being employed and for RBs not developing.

However, when making your mind up on whether or not he should be fired, be a big boy and think through weather you think firing him is actually good for the future of the program or if it just satisfies your desire to blame someone for the current circumstances.

thf24
10-21-2016, 11:17 AM
That won't matter. LSU has 2 QB's committed & again as long as Mullen is here Keytaon wants to be at MSU.

On the flip side, is he auto-gone if Mullen leaves, or would a potential new coach have a shot at keeping him?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-21-2016, 11:28 AM
On the flip side, is he auto-gone if Mullen leaves, or would a potential new coach have a shot at keeping him?

I don't even think Keytaon could answer that.

msbulldog
10-21-2016, 11:59 AM

Agreed.

BoomBoom
10-21-2016, 12:13 PM

So he's the Rodney Hood of the football program. Great.

BoomBoom
10-21-2016, 12:20 PM
I'll say it till I'm blue in the face: it's perfectly OK to be pissed at Mullen for shopping himself, having awful recruiting classes 3 & 4 years ago and missing on golden triangle guys last year. It's also ok to be pissed at Mullen for Hevesy still being employed and for RBs not developing.

However, when making your mind up on whether or not he should be fired, be a big boy and think through weather you think firing him is actually good for the future of the program or if it just satisfies your desire to blame someone for the current circumstances.

The future of the program depends on if Mullen will adapt, or will be stubborn. A true big boy already knows the answer to that question, and is past ready to do what is best for the program.

jumbo
10-21-2016, 12:28 PM

KT is an early enrollee. LSU won't have a coach by then unless they go ahead and give O the job.

HSVDawg
10-21-2016, 12:44 PM

Totally agree in principle, but as it relates our chances of getting and retaining Thompson you have to look at all sides of it. If the view point is that we need to retain Mullen in the short term to make sure we hang onto Thompson, that basically means hanging onto Mullen all the way through the end of 2018. That is because the chances of Thompson transferring out after his redshirt year if Mullen is out in 2017 are just as good as him not signing with us if Mullen is out in 2016. Mullen leaving in 2017 is actually a worst case scenario as it relates to Thompson because he could be on the roster long enough to inhibit QB recruiting for an entire recruiting cycle.

Anyways, that is just a long way of saying that Thompson is a factor, but ultimately any decision we make regarding Mullen's future has to consider the entire body of work. We can't handcuff ourselves and our future based on one recruit.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-21-2016, 01:00 PM
moving Hevesy would solve a lot of issues

msstate7
10-21-2016, 01:01 PM

I wanna get brad Peterson on field at te's too

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2016, 01:03 PM
The future of the program depends on if Mullen will adapt, or will be stubborn. A true big boy already knows the answer to that question, and is past ready to do what is best for the program.

You may be right or you may be wrong, but the confidence you have in this decision leads me to believe you are either arrogant or have extreme flaws in your thought process

maroonmania
10-21-2016, 01:05 PM

I can't tell you how many of the MS HS coaches despise Hevesy. I'm related to one of them that does.

RougeDawg
10-21-2016, 01:29 PM
You may be right or you may be wrong, but the confidence you have in this decision leads me to believe you are either arrogant or have extreme flaws in your thought process

He's not arrogant. Arrogance is looking at what Dan is and has done and think he will simply change it himself. Well that's not arrogance, it is actually ignorance.

He's making a point to say that Dan has dropped fire Hevesy and Knox and change his Yankee prick attitude when recruiting, of which leaves sour tastes in the mouths of recruits and their families. Dan was told to do this in the offseason and instead he's been pouting and putting a shit product on the field week after week.period. End of story. I'm so sick of posts about Dan needing to stay and giving a chance when he's shown now for 8 years it's his Yankee way or the highway. Look at the defensive carousel. Jesus people, take off the maroon glasses and come back to reality.

tcdog70
10-21-2016, 02:18 PM
I can't tell you how many of the MS HS coaches despise Hevesy. I'm related to one of them that does.

i heard the WEST POINT coach would hide if Hev pulled up at campus.

dawgday166
10-21-2016, 02:34 PM
So he's the Rodney Hood of the football program. Great.

There is no Rodney Hood of the football program, unless you allow someone to become that. There are lots of players out there is you bust your ass in recruiting. See Ben Howland.

dawgday166
10-21-2016, 02:37 PM

I'm torn here. My gut tells me Dan won't change much, and he needs to in a few areas. I would love it if he did tho and it all worked out good.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2016, 02:41 PM
He's not arrogant. Arrogance is looking at what Dan is and has done and think he will simply change it himself. Well that's not arrogance, it is actually ignorance.

He's making a point to say that Dan has dropped fire Hevesy and Knox and change his Yankee prick attitude when recruiting, of which leaves sour tastes in the mouths of recruits and their families. Dan was told to do this in the offseason and instead he's been pouting and putting a shit product on the field week after week.period. End of story. I'm so sick of posts about Dan needing to stay and giving a chance when he's shown now for 8 years it's his Yankee way or the highway. Look at the defensive carousel. Jesus people, take off the maroon glasses and come back to reality.

You post comes off as someone that has been bitter for 8 years but couldn't say much because Dan has mostly won.

When considering Dan's success before this season, your post still doesn't address why the program would be better with someone else in the future

BoomBoom
10-21-2016, 02:43 PM

Dont take me wrong. Mullen may surprise us. But he needs to do it BEFORE we bank anything else on him, including another season. It's long past the point where it is wise to hope he does it on his own. He has to show us something first to even begin to hope he will change. The hard part of it is that has little to do with us fans. It's not like he should be announcing coaching changes to the public at any point before the end of the season. But if im Keenum or the new AD, I wait until my postseason meering with Mullen, I ask his take on the season, patiently hear it out, then ask how he intends to improve. If he doesn't respond with fire Hevesy et al, stop meddling in defense, etc, then I tell him we are moving on. Maybe line up the new hire first. But we should not even bother trying to force it on him. That never works.

For my part, I am convinced he lacks the ability to adapt that good and especially great coaches have. I view him akin to a great RB, with fumbilitis. All the strengths are negated by that fatal flaw. Saban revamped his D to account for mobile qb spread offenses, AND revamped his O after seeing the success of the spread offense around CFB. And this was while he was going to national championships. What has Mullen adapted to? I won't hold my breath on an answer. IF he shows adaptation, I will give him a chance. But only a fool would expect him to suddenly show that ability at this point.

BoomBoom
10-21-2016, 02:49 PM
You post comes off as someone that has been bitter for 8 years but couldn't say much because Dan has mostly won.

When considering Dan's success before this season, your post still doesn't address why the program would be better with someone else in the future

Dan has shown the ability to deliver a Top 25 team. Don't let the #1 ranking fool you, we were overrated. Imo his ceiling is now a Top 35 team, and falling 5 spots a year as the game increasingly leaves him behind. IF the light comes on and he starts adapting, he may leap up to Top 10 in a hurry, his offensive minded talents merit that. But I dont think that will happen without the kick in the ass of a firing, if ever.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-21-2016, 02:58 PM
There is no Rodney Hood of the football program, unless you allow someone to become that. There are lots of players out there is you bust your ass in recruiting. See Ben Howland.

Basketball is way different

BB30
10-21-2016, 03:12 PM
It seems as though every thread turns into a Mullen debate. Someone actually posts something positive and thread immediately gets derailed and goes back to bickering back and forth about Mullen. Hate to tell the Mullen haters but only way he is gone after this season is if and only if he leaves on his own accord. Whether he is the right coach for the job or not at this point does not really matter. The new AD's first move is not going to be firing a coach that has been more successful than just about any other coach that has stepped on this campus. Someone needs to just sticky a should Dan stay or go thread at the top and let the arguing stay there. I don't understand why it is so hard for some to let the season play out and see what happens. He may surprise everyone and fire the people that need to be gone and refocus, take a step back and see where he went wrong or he may could care less and tank it the rest of the time he is here. I think comparing this to any past situation whether it be jackie etc. doesn't make much sense. Jackie got here on the tail end of his career. Mullen is still young relative to other coaches and still has time to learn/evolve. What ever happens we fans need to do what we can to help the program. That means packing the stadium regardless of the product on the field. We can't help recruiting in many ways but that is one way that we can. Turning on players/coaches/each other sends a horrible message to prospective recruits.

msstate7
10-21-2016, 03:16 PM
It seems as though every thread turns into a Mullen debate. Someone actually posts something positive and thread immediately gets derailed and goes back to bickering back and forth about Mullen. Hate to tell the Mullen haters but only way he is gone after this season is if and only if he leaves on his own accord. Whether he is the right coach for the job or not at this point does not really matter. The new AD's first move is not going to be firing a coach that has been more successful than just about any other coach that has stepped on this campus. Someone needs to just sticky a should Dan stay or go thread at the top and let the arguing stay there. I don't understand why it is so hard for some to let the season play out and see what happens. He may surprise everyone and fire the people that need to be gone and refocus, take a step back and see where he went wrong or he may could care less and tank it the rest of the time he is here. I think comparing this to any past situation whether it be jackie etc. doesn't make much sense. Jackie got here on the tail end of his career. Mullen is still young relative to other coaches and still has time to learn/evolve. What ever happens we fans need to do what we can to help the program. That means packing the stadium regardless of the product on the field. We can't help recruiting in many ways but that is one way that we can. Turning on players/coaches/each other sends a horrible message to prospective recruits.
Mullen is the youngest sec west HC

smootness
10-21-2016, 03:29 PM

Facepalm.

BoomBoom
10-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Whether he is the right coach for the job or not at this point does not really matter.

That's a hell of a statement. At least we now know the point of disagreement. I think it DOES matter.

BB30
10-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Mullen is the youngest sec west HC

Yep, among the top 25 active coaches by W% exactly 5 are under the age of 45 and of those 5, 3 coach at power 5 schools. Of those only a couple have been there for more than 2 years meaning the W% is based a a small amount of data. Dan has a ton of career left and most coaches improve and peak somewhere in there mid to late 50s. I am not for or against him staying. I only want him here if he gets refocused and learns from past mistakes. People saying that will never happen are basing this off what data, Opinion? Unless you know Dan Mullen personally you are just making an uneducated assumption based off of what you perceive on the field, you don't know what is happening in the locker room/practice field/ etc. The auburn game was bad no way to sugar coat that, but I think there have been plenty of signs that the team has not quit on him yet. Just give him the rest of the season, see what happens as far as hiring or firing this off season, and whether or not he bails. Until then none of us can possibly know exactly what is going on or make an absolutely accurate assessment of the situation myself included. He could have given up and quit but I don't know that for sure nor do I know he is giving it 100% and my guess is most on here don't truly know that answer either.

BB30
10-21-2016, 04:04 PM
That's a hell of a statement. At least we now know the point of disagreement. I think it DOES matter.

Please explain to me how for us as fans that matters. What can YOU possibly do about it mid season? That is the point I am trying to make, no matter how much we bitch, whine and complain there is absolutely nothing you or I can do about it. So, it really in all honesty does not matter.

RougeDawg
10-21-2016, 04:19 PM

I saw Dan check out in 2013 and was pissed he was doing less with more. A blind man in the upper deck could see JRob should play over perk or Dak over TR. the practice of playing age over talent wasn't noticed as much early on because most fans were blinded by bowl games. Great coaches play the best players and make the necessary moves to put the team in the best position to win. Please form an argument that Dan routinely plays the best players and ill listen.

My post should come off as "judge someone on all aspects not just W's and L's". if he didn't micromanage so much and would try to adapt his approach to a more southern style, you wouldn't have the yearly "I didn't feel like they wanted me" "or the coaches didn't show much interest" comments. You wouldn't continually miss out on key top recruits in your own back yard. There's no way our 2014 season should have resulted in our last two recruiting classes. No excuses for it. Dan quit on the program and to top it off told Keenum he never would/could win the West at State if he couldn't with Dak.

I'm not ok with Dans lack of commitment and his comments above because this shit has been going on for around 4 years now. If you choose to ignore the glaring issues with Dan and his inability to adapt to make our program better, then I can't help you. He could save himself but his Yankee arrogance will not allow him to admit his faults and make the necessary changes.

BB30
10-21-2016, 04:39 PM
I saw Dan check out in 2013 and was pissed he was doing less with more. A blind man in the upper deck could see JRob should play over perk or Dak over TR. the practice of playing age over talent wasn't noticed as much early on because most fans were blinded by bowl games. Great coaches play the best players and make the necessary moves to put the team in the best position to win. Please form an argument that Dan routinely plays the best players and ill listen.

My post should come off as "judge someone on all aspects not just W's and L's". if he didn't micromanage so much and would try to adapt his approach to a more southern style, you wouldn't have the yearly "I didn't feel like they wanted me" "or the coaches didn't show much interest" comments. You wouldn't continually miss out on key top recruits in your own back yard. There's no way our 2014 season should have resulted in our last two recruiting classes. No excuses for it. Dan quit on the program and to top it off told Keenum he never would/could win the West at State if he couldn't with Dak.

I'm not ok with Dans lack of commitment and his comments above because this shit has been going on for around 4 years now. If you choose to ignore the glaring issues with Dan and his inability to adapt to make our program better, then I can't help you. He could save himself but his Yankee arrogance will not allow him to admit his faults and make the necessary changes.

Not arguing, I agree that Dan has got to make adjustments and has not seemed to do that yet. He also has not had a season that may make him really really look at where he is at as a coach and what he needs to do to improve. Yes, a blind man could see JROB should have been playing based off of talent. Fast forward to now, and I think it is pretty obvious as to why Jrob was not playing more. The immaturity probably had a lot to do with his lack of playing time that season. You can't sit there and dog other teams for allowing players to do what ever they want and still play and then turn around when the shoe is on the other foot and dog our coach for not playing the most talented guy regardless of off the field issues. We don't know if certain talented players are behaving, going to class etc. and all we can judge them by is on the field results. That is not fair to the player or the coach, more people this day in age need discipline and don't always need to be coddled and told they are the best thing on the face of the earth and most kids/recruits don't know how to handle that.

BoomBoom
10-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Please explain to me how for us as fans that matters. What can YOU possibly do about it mid season? That is the point I am trying to make, no matter how much we bitch, whine and complain there is absolutely nothing you or I can do about it. So, it really in all honesty does not matter.

We are talking about two different things then. I already said it doesn't mean much to the fans, as if he does see the light on adjustments we won't see it until the offseason. But it DOES matter as to the decision makers. If he's the wrong guy for the job, keeping him an extra year only deepens the hole.

BB30
10-21-2016, 05:00 PM
We are talking about two different things then. I already said it doesn't mean much to the fans, as if he does see the light on adjustments we won't see it until the offseason. But it DOES matter as to the decision makers. If he's the wrong guy for the job, keeping him an extra year only deepens the hole.

Oh I completely agree with you there. There will be some tough decisions that could possibly have to be made at the end of the season. I am glad I am not one of the people that has to make that decision. I am sure it will be fairly obvious at the end of the season once they talk to Mullen and assess how he feels about the job and where his head is at.

Goldendawg
10-21-2016, 08:28 PM
If we don't get the OL fixed ASAP, it won't matter if we sign the second coming of Joe Namath.

TimberBeast
10-21-2016, 11:17 PM

You don't keep a coach because of a player, period. It's time to be rid of Mullen whether by him or by us, the rest of the chips fall where they may.

Todd4State
10-22-2016, 01:26 AM
I love Keytaeon Thompson and I absolutely agree that he is a special player. I don’t think we should keep Dan or any coach to solely land one recruit though. It goes both ways because yes, we keep Dan we 100% land Thompson but what are the ramifications on the rest of the class and then beyond? You have to remember that bringing in a new coach may cause some players to leave but others to join. For example when we got Dan, we were able to get Chad Bumphis but there was the risk of losing Tyler Russell. Ultimately we kept both. There is no way to know this and this is totally hypothetical but getting a new coach in might get us in the game for Cam Akers and whomever we hire may have some Elite 11 guy that is aligned with him or might be able to flip Myles Brennan from LSU. And I’m not saying that is exactly what would happen or anything. Just that we shouldn’t be a prisoner of the moment and use that to base a longer term decision off of that. Because next year there are going to be recruits that we like and then there would be concern about losing them if we kept Dan. And the same the year after that and so on. Plus, who knows? We may also hire another coach that Thompson likes and he could end up staying with us so we get Thompson plus whomever else like we did with Russell. I would say that’s a very distinct possibility with LSU having two guys committed right now.

I know that’s not popular to say but I remember back in the day when Ole Miss kept Nutt largely to land Singleton and Brassell. The next year they went 2-10 with a coach that couldn’t beat Jacksonville State the year before. They got the recruits they wanted but how much did it cost them long term?

msstate7
10-22-2016, 07:01 AM
We shouldn't keep dan bc of this recruiting class or a player in this class. We should keep dan bc he's the best we've ever had and bc we don't need to be looking for a HC while some of the best programs in the country are. Dan deserves '17 and we should all be pulling for him to right the ship, not bashing him and our program 24/7... we're putting together a nice recruiting class, so why don't we just support or at least act like we support dan for 1 more season?

bulldawg28
10-22-2016, 07:05 AM
We shouldn't keep dan bc of this recruiting class or a player in this class. We should keep dan bc he's the best we've ever had and bc we don't need to be looking for a HC while some of the best programs in the country are. Dan deserves '17 and we should all be pulling for him to right the ship, not bashing him and our program 24/7... we're putting together a nice recruiting class, so why don't we just support or at least act like we support dan for 1 more season?

This

Dawgfan77
10-22-2016, 08:47 AM

Dan plays favorites it's causing some issues on the team. That's not changing as long as dan is here. Can you imagine what next year could look like??

msstate7
10-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Dan plays favorites it's causing some issues on the team. That's not changing as long as dan is here. Can you imagine what next year could look like??

Maybe like '10, '12, '14, or '15... all years where we won 8 or more. 50% of Mullen's years have ended with 8 wins or more. If we do finish with a losing record this season, that would mean Mullen has had a losing record 25% of the time, though year 1 shouldn't count.

Losing dak has been a much bigger deal than expected. Maybe we should've seen this coming...

Om with Eli -- 10-3
Om after Eli -- 4-7

Auburn with cam -- 14-0 (national champs)
Auburn without cam -- 8-5

Florida with tebow -- 13-1
Florida without tebow -- 8-5

Michigan state with cook -- 12-2
Michigan state without cook -- 2-4 so far

smootness
10-22-2016, 09:03 AM

I remember hearing similar things before 2014 happened. When the team is losing, everyone hears everything about how bad things are behind the scenes.

Next year could look just fine.

Taog Redloh
10-22-2016, 09:07 AM
I remember hearing similar things before 2014 happened. When the team is losing, everyone hears everything about how bad things are behind the scenes.

Next year will probably suck but it ain't because of favorites. It's because we are losing about 10 (literally) guys off the lines, and the schedule is brutal. You are betting a lot on the JUCOs.

WSOPdawg
10-22-2016, 09:19 AM
I love Keytaeon Thompson and I absolutely agree that he is a special player. I don’t think we should keep Dan or any coach to solely land one recruit though. It goes both ways because yes, we keep Dan we 100% land Thompson but what are the ramifications on the rest of the class and then beyond? You have to remember that bringing in a new coach may cause some players to leave but others to join. For example when we got Dan, we were able to get Chad Bumphis but there was the risk of losing Tyler Russell. Ultimately we kept both. There is no way to know this and this is totally hypothetical but getting a new coach in might get us in the game for Cam Akers and whomever we hire may have some Elite 11 guy that is aligned with him or might be able to flip Myles Brennan from LSU. And I’m not saying that is exactly what would happen or anything. Just that we shouldn’t be a prisoner of the moment and use that to base a longer term decision off of that. Because next year there are going to be recruits that we like and then there would be concern about losing them if we kept Dan. And the same the year after that and so on. Plus, who knows? We may also hire another coach that Thompson likes and he could end up staying with us so we get Thompson plus whomever else like we did with Russell. I would say that’s a very distinct possibility with LSU having two guys committed right now.

I know that’s not popular to say but I remember back in the day when Ole Miss kept Nutt largely to land Singleton and Brassell. The next year they went 2-10 with a coach that couldn’t beat Jacksonville State the year before. They got the recruits they wanted but how much did it cost them long term?

Agree with Todd, no single player is bigger than the team. While I love the thought of Thompson on the team, his arrival being dependent on Mullen's presence is totally irrelevant. You can't start creating a situation where a player or two is bigger than the program, you just can't.

msstate7
10-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Next year will probably suck but it ain't because of favorites. It's because we are losing about 10 (literally) guys off the lines, and the schedule is brutal. You are betting a lot on the JUCOs.

I think dline and front 7 could be really good next season with any help at all from the JUCOs...

Simmons, Spencer, and Leo are gonna be absolute studs.

I really like Cory Thomas and think he could be a good to great player the next 2 seasons.

Feel pretty sure Gerri will be inside beside Leo next season. I think this is where Gerri is best. Those 2 could really solid in the middle.

Kobe and fletcher Adams will need to be ready to produce next season. Both are 4*, so it's not a stretch they play well.

Newcomers in front 7...
Pope, autry, and sweat are JUCOs that I think have serious potential. Aaron Odom could contribute as a freshman

BoomBoom
10-22-2016, 09:40 AM

Before 2014 I was arguing how Mullen's teams had been underrated. Then, the trends were good. Now, the trends are bad. Right now our fanbase is in that mode where people keep throwing more money at a bad bet, hoping things will turn around instead of being smart and cutting their losses.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2016, 09:45 AM
I think dline and front 7 could be really good next season with any help at all from the JUCOs...

I really like Cory Thomas and think he could be a good to great player the next 2 seasons.

Feel pretty sure Gerri will be inside beside Leo next season. I think this is where Gerri is best. Those 2 could really solid in the middle.

Kobe and fletcher Adams will need to be ready to produce next season. Both are 4*, so it's not a stretch they play well.

Newcomers in front 7...
Pope, autry, and sweat are JUCOs that I think have serious potential. Aaron Odom could contribute as a freshman

You know.... as frustrating as this season is, we are actually beginning to see an emergence of young players that are growing up before our eyes. Fitz has all sorts of problems, but he can make plays & I believe he grew up last week in Provo.

The biggest problem with this year's team is the upper classmen & missed recruiting classes 4 & 5 years ago.

With Fitz, Mixon, Thomas, Williams, & Dear we've got some emerging play makers on offense. We really need a tall receiver or two to emerge. Couch has to come on & we need to land the Guidry kid. With Thompson & Hill also coming in, we got some more star power.

Hev has to be fired to get better OL. Just that simple. He's awful & has a terrible track record of evaluation & recruiting. After 8 years, there should be at least something positive to point to in regards to his coaching. Something to say, "Well, at least he does ________". There is nothing. He's terrible. He can't evaluate, recruit, coach, or even be nice to people. He a complete piece of shi* & wasted coach.

On defense, with the exception of AJ Jefferson, all the best players are young guys. If we can add Willie Gay, CJ Avery, & some others, then we have a nice nucleus going forward

Gutter Cobreh
10-22-2016, 09:49 AM

Newcomers in front 7...

I know you aren't a proponent of moving Mullen, but to add what you said - if a coaching change is made there is no guarantee that the upperclassmen next year buy into the new coaching philosophy.

The reason I say this is because that's what I'm hearing about Smart's issue at GA. These upperclassman were Richt guys and haven't or are not will willing to buy into what Smart is trying to do. I understand that some may be riding the pine to start the next game. After the loss to Vandy, why not get some younger players that are putting in the work some experience.

There are more facets to a coaching change than wins/losses, recruiting, etc.

Taog Redloh
10-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Before 2014 I was arguing how Mullen's teams had been underrated. Then, the trends were good. Now, the trends are bad. Right now our fanbase is in that mode where people keep throwing more money at a bad bet, hoping things will turn around instead of being smart and cutting their losses.

Too early. He gets a mulligan this year, whether you like it or not. If the trend is still bad next year, he's gone.

Remember this about "trends". You can only go so high or so low.

lamont
10-22-2016, 10:18 AM
The DL could be at least decent next year- but OL is going to be horrendous

Bothrops
10-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Next year will likely be a wash regardless of who the coach is. However, if Dan Mullen remains at MSU, we might as well start looking and gearing up to rebound in 2018. If he can't make it happen in '18, he should find a new occupation.

If 2017 is a disastrous season, then a new coach comes in, we can forget 2018 as being the resurfacing campaign. Wouldn't happen, and we'd have to wait longer. It just proves the point that the future is and will always be uncertain for MSU football.

mic
10-22-2016, 10:43 AM

We are losing one guy off the DL that will be missed.. AJ . And if you want to consider Calvin @ DE then 2 guys
**** the OL guys leaving.. Maybe new blood and NEW coach will help next year.

Only losing 3 SR that will be missed next year.
Ross
AJ
Calvin

msstate7
10-22-2016, 10:46 AM
The DL could be at least decent next year- but OL is going to be horrendous

I'm certainly not predicting the oline to be good, but I think it could be better than this year.

I don't think desper and senior will be big losses. Clayborn will most likely be our biggest loss.

Jenkins and rankin will be back at tackle. Hopefully rankin can figure out snap counts by then.

Calhoun is our best olineman and he'll be back at guard. Hopefully at least 2 of story, champion, Reese, and Phillips will be ready to contribute.

Williams or one of the above guards needs to be ready to play center.

Eiland or moon being ready to contribute would be huge. I've heard good things on eiland.

Lot of question marks for sure, but if you go by offers, this will be the most talent we've had on the oline in a while under Mullen. Not saying that will translate though...

BoomBoom
10-22-2016, 11:19 AM
Too early. He gets a mulligan this year, whether you like it or not. If the trend is still bad next year, he's gone.

Remember this about "trends". You can only go so high or so low.

The trends didnt start this year. If he gets a mulligan, our decision makers should get fired.

smootness
10-22-2016, 11:46 AM
The trends didnt start this year. If he gets a mulligan, our decision makers should get fired.

Our decision makers should be fired if Dan Mullen isn't? Goodness, people.

BoomBoom
10-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Our decision makers should be fired if Dan Mullen isn't? Goodness, people.

If he signals he won't change a thing, then yes. That's debateable? Goodness people.

RougeDawg
10-22-2016, 12:40 PM

You are correct and these things started in 2013. Playing favorites over best athlete is why we needed o win the last two in 13 to make a bowl. Injuries that forced the best players into action resulted in a bowl and catapult into 14. It's not difficult to see that injuries forced Dan's hand and resulted in 2014. If it had been up to San JRob and Dak wouldve barely played until 14 and we would've been breaking in a brand new QB and RB. Players know who should be playing. The same things happened during the Wyatt/Madkin and Madkin/Fant transitions. Locker room rifts because the nest players weren't playing. Combine that with a horrendous OL coach who couldn't recruit a starting person to a buffet, a entity have the situation we are in.

Todd has his point spot on and slightly different than my feelings. I would add Dan's inability to adapt to the southern way and use it as his approach to recruiting is as harmful as him not playing the young guys. Yankee arrogance leaves a sour taste in most southerner's mouths. You cannot deny that. And it cannot help in recruiting. Multiply the "it takes 4 years to get a player game ready" approach and it's not difficult to see why we do not recent well, especially after 2014.

Come on people, let's not miss the forest for the trees, because someone took us from rock bottom to a mid tier program. We only had one direction to go and we have consistently done less with more the last half of Mullen's tenure.

smootness
10-22-2016, 05:07 PM
If he signals he won't change a thing, then yes. That's debateable? Goodness people.

You're saying Dan Mullen, who has objectively had great and in some ways unprecedented success at State and is about to produce his only losing season since his first, has to be fired or else the people above him should be fired? That is insane. You can have your own opinion on Mullen, but to think one year has brought us to the point that there is no option but firing him and starting over is absurd.

BoomBoom
10-22-2016, 05:24 PM
You're saying Dan Mullen, who has objectively had great and in some ways unprecedented success at State and is about to produce his only losing season since his first, has to be fired or else the people above him should be fired? That is insane. You can have your own opinion on Mullen, but to think one year has brought us to the point that there is no option but firing him and starting over is absurd.

How has he had objectively unprecedented success? An overrated #1 mid-season ranking is not worth anything, you judge based on complete seasons. Plenty of MSU coaches have had Top 25 seasons.

IF Mullen won't move Hevesy, then there's no argument, he WON'T be successful here. We will never sniff the Top 25 again, midseason or not, and extending the pain will only deepen the hole. If the people above him won't do their damn job and prevent that, then yes they should be fired. It is literally their job.

Coursesuper
10-22-2016, 05:47 PM
How has he had objectively unprecedented success? An overrated #1 mid-season ranking is not worth anything, you judge based on complete seasons. Plenty of MSU coaches have had Top 25 seasons.

IF Mullen won't move Hevesy, then there's no argument, he WON'T be successful here. We will never sniff the Top 25 again, midseason or not, and extending the pain will only deepen the hole. If the people above him won't do their damn job and prevent that, then yes they should be fired. It is literally their job.

Hev has got to go, he is an albatross around our entire program. And I agree with you on the rest of your post, dead on.