PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on today's game and our season...

DogBanker
08-31-2013, 07:34 PM
First off, you idiots who wanted to start playing "name" opponents, you got your damn wish and look where it got us. Schedule me those cake-walk games to get me bowl eligible. I don't care what anyone says, it gives us a bowl chance.

Second, you dumbasses who want Mullen fired are smoking on something strong. Guy has taken us to three straight bowl games, something that isn't done often at State. He has taken this program back and I still have his back. Saying he isn't the answer? Hell the guy has been the answer. He has brought in talent and depth.
Now to the game,

1) Dak Prescott should be the starter. It was great to see a QB of us to get rid of the ball quick and trust his WRs to go get it. He led us down the field I believe 3 or 4 times. Our season depends on him playing, a lot. I feel for Russell, I like him. But he doesn't fit what we need to run this due to defenses not seeing him as a threat to run and not making decisions. I have seen this in scrimmages that I have attended as a recruit and I saw it last year in the stands. The guy holds on to the ball too long. I think the reason we don't see Mullen pull him is because of the fact, our old alum want to see him succeed. They want us to run a pro-style offense and have Russell do well. Well guess what? Russell doesn't have the foot work to run from undercenter, obvious when he tripped over his own feet. He also makes very poor decisions. Three times he threw it into triple coverage. He doesn't make his progressions even though he hold the ball for so long. I also think Russell is the reason Keonning is still here because Keonning has been his coach this whole time, why switch it up.

2)Robinson is just a hoss who knows how to play RB. I'm sorry Perk, but you're not Anthony Dixon or Vick Ballard that can run it in between the tackles. Robinson can do that. We need to have Perk in as the change of pace back. Robinson needs to be our starter.

3) De'Runnya Wilson is a future stud. He can catch I'm excited for his future.

4) If you would've told me our defense only gave up 21 points, I would've said hell yes. We have talent on defense boys and it was nice to see. I understand we had to play the bend, don't break defense today for obvious reasons. But man wasn't it nice to see some safety blitzes and what not? Just turn them loose and let'em go. Now I will say I'm pissed about this whole "fitting into the system". Chris Jones needs to start over Eulls. I don't care if he doesn't play with the right technique, the plays ball and makes plays, something we need. Our players need to play.

I think what this season comes down to is this: If Mullen takes a stand against those old alum who want Russell out there and actually run his offense with Prescott or not. We saw how well this offense moved with Prescott in there and his quick decisions. With Russell we win 4 games, Prescott we get 7. We have the defense to compete with guys.

maroonmania
08-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Russell just seems to be slow on everything. He's slow afoot but he's also indecisive in the pocket and allows the defense to pressure or sack him when they shouldn't. And besides all that, he's decently accurate but inconsistent. He missed some passes in the first half that could have kept those drives alive. The play that REALLY had me ready to bench Tyler though was toward the end of the first half when he held the ball and took a sack on 4th and 15 in OSU territory. THAT CANNOT HAPPEN WITH A 5th YEAR SR QB! Even if nobody's open you have to get the ball off. Heck, throwing an INT downfield is better than taking a sack. Just unacceptable.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
09-01-2013, 01:53 AM
I think what this season comes down to is this: If Mullen takes a stand against those old alum who want Russell out there and actually run his offense with Prescott or not. We saw how well this offense moved with Prescott in there and his quick decisions. With Russell we win 4 games, Prescott we get 7. We have the defense to compete with guys.

You seriously think we run our offense based on what the good old boy network wants? Did I miss Tyler Russell graduating from Jackson Prep? Please tell me you were being sarcastic because that's just an embarrassing statement.

Bothrops
09-01-2013, 03:50 AM
First off, I wasn't awed by Okie St. They looked pretty damn beatable to me, so the "big name" is irrelevant here. We just suck, and we find ways to suck more through inexplicable coaching method. Our play calling on offense was nothing short of lunacy. I'm sick and tired of the offense being dumbed-down.

GumpDawg
09-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Well this is just my opinion but our offense looked pretty good until Tyler took the first shot to the helmet in the 1st quarter. After that you could tell he wasn't quite with it, and I can't really blame him. If you have ever experienced a hit like that they ring your bell for a while.

Political Hack
09-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Well this is just my opinion but our offense looked pretty good until Tyler took the first shot to the helmet in the 1st quarter. After that you could tell he wasn't quite with it, and I can't really blame him. If you have ever experienced a hit like that they ring your bell for a while.

I think this is what happened too. Bullard had a concussion after running into John Wallace during the Final Four game and we saw how that impacted him. Everyone blamed him for the loss, but I've heard he has no memories if the actual game after that screen.

Saltydog
09-01-2013, 09:29 AM
contender and that they aren't.....Solid team, yes..........Great team, NO...........We were every bit as talented as them........