PDA

View Full Version : Guess what...

EngDawg
10-20-2016, 03:07 PM
Cohen is still not the Athletic director. 17 you Bonner and that rag you work for.

Jarius
10-20-2016, 03:09 PM
I wonder if they really don't know or if Keenum just really wants to hold it off to make Bonner look bad.

DanDority
10-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Is is raining at your place as well?

civildawg
10-20-2016, 03:21 PM
The latter

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 03:23 PM
I wonder if they really don't know or if Keenum just really wants to hold it off to make Bonner look bad.

I may be crazy but I think Keenum wants to at least run a legit AD search.

Bully13
10-20-2016, 03:29 PM
I want Cohen to remain where he is.

maroonmania
10-20-2016, 03:35 PM
I want Cohen to remain where he is.

Agreed, I'm concerned that if Cohen goes to AD would could possibly end up with a downgrade at both AD and Head Baseball Coach.

JDog13
10-20-2016, 03:51 PM
Doesn't matter how long Keenum holds off. If he chooses Cohen, Bonner is right. The CL crew will just say they changed dates to say Bonner was wrong. If they choose Cohen, they look foolish for denying so hard.

If it was Cohen, and Bonner costs him the "promotion"...

DeviousDawg
10-20-2016, 03:57 PM
I still think Cohen will be the AD, but I'm not nearly as confident as I was before Bonner popped a premature one. This isn't a middle school relationship though, we will not make a decision just in spite of someone else.

confucius say
10-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Doesn't matter how long Keenum holds off. If he chooses Cohen, Bonner is right. The CL crew will just say they changed dates to say Bonner was wrong. If they choose Cohen, they look foolish for denying so hard.

Disagree. The fact that Cohen was not announced Tuesday makes bonner's article factually innacurrate by definition. More importantly, the fact that interviews took place after his article, coupled with the fact that no announcement was made Tuesday, makes it obvious that the decision was not set in stone, even if Cohen was the leading candidate.

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Agreed, I'm concerned that if Cohen goes to AD would could possibly end up with a downgrade at both AD and Head Baseball Coach.

It's definitely risky. We need someone with more athletic director type experience.

GTHOM
10-20-2016, 04:08 PM
How long until it becomes a problem that we dont/ cant find an AD

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 04:10 PM

I think it might end up being the best thing the Clarion-Ledger did for us and for MSU. We could get an experienced AD. Cohen could get more experience in athletic director type roles in the meantime. Cohen stays on as baseball coach while in the prime of his career. Everyone wins. Except for the Clarion-Ledger. Keenum would win that in that scenario.

preachermatt83
10-20-2016, 04:10 PM
I really just think Cohen is not seeking the job.

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 04:11 PM
How long until it becomes a problem that we dont/ cant find an AD

After the Egg Bowl.

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 04:13 PM

Maybe but Sid Salter did say he was a candidate.

Homedawg
10-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Seeking? He wants it....

msstate7
10-20-2016, 04:18 PM
I think it might end up being the best thing the Clarion-Ledger did for us and for MSU. We could get an experienced AD. Cohen could get more experience in athletic director type roles in the meantime. Cohen stays on as baseball coach while in the prime of his career. Everyone wins. Except for the Clarion-Ledger. Keenum would win that in that scenario.

If Cohen was offered the job, then gets it taken away so keenum can save face, I bet we lose Cohen. I don't think this happens though. I think Cohen gets the job and we look foolish for denying so strongly

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 04:24 PM
If Cohen was offered the job, then gets it taken away so keenum can save face, I bet we lose Cohen. I don't think this happens though. I think Cohen gets the job and we look foolish for denying so strongly

He might. But I doubt it. His best shot at getting the AD job if he doesn't get it this time is to stay with us and take on expanded roles as opposed to going somewhere else. Especially since the next AD will probably have a shelf life of 5-10 years if I had to guess unless extenuating circumstances occur.

msstatelp1
10-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Agree with everyone that says we will look foolish for coming out so strong against Bonner then wind up with Cohen. It would be just like when Slick Willie said "I did not have sex with that woman" and then admitting that he got a BJ in the Oval Office.

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Also let's not assume that Keenum is a complete moron and would actually tell Cohen that the reason he didn't give him the job was because of the Bonner leak. That's WTF management right there. It would be better to tell him that someone else was a better fit or something like that.

RocketDawg
10-20-2016, 04:41 PM

Does't Cohen make something like $1M as baseball coach? And Striklin made around $500K I think. Cohen would be making less money unless they all of a sudden made the AD position a lot higher grade that it was. And if he were to try to do both jobs ... coach baseball and be AD ... I doubt they'd give him both salaries. Plus, I have a feeling he's doing exactly what he wants to do at this stage in his life. Might want an office job when he gets older. I'll be surprised if Bonner and the CL are correct.

RocketDawg
10-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Also let's not assume that Keenum is a complete moron and would actually tell Cohen that the reason he didn't give him the job was because of the Bonner leak. That's WTF management right there. It would be better to tell him that someone else was a better fit or something like that.

What if Cohen was the source of the leak?

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 04:54 PM
What if Cohen was the source of the leak?

Well then it backfired big time whether he gets the job or not. Rumor is the leak was a booster though.

And I think Cohen is smart enough to know that it backfired without Keenum telling him to his face.

JDog13
10-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Disagree. The fact that Cohen was not announced Tuesday makes bonner's article factually innacurrate by definition. More importantly, the fact that interviews took place after his article, coupled with the fact that no announcement was made Tuesday, makes it obvious that the decision was not set in stone, even if Cohen was the leading candidate.

Disagree away. A former sports editor, Cronin, and Bonner have already said we'd just delay to make Bonner look wrong.

msbulldog
10-20-2016, 06:29 PM

Cohen is extremely smart and would be an upgrade at the AD position. He is smart enough to make decisions about the baseball program to keep us in the natty race.

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Cohen is extremely smart and would be an upgrade at the AD position. He is smart enough to make decisions about the baseball program to keep us in the natty race.

Yeah but what about the other sports? If he's the AD he can't just focus on baseball and not put as much emphasis on the other sports and I think the other sports will divert his attention. Just food for thought.

Drugdog
10-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Easy Decision. Make Msstate7 AD and Baseball Coach because he knows EVERTHING. He is the Cliff Claven of ED.

msbulldog
10-20-2016, 06:46 PM

And who cares what the Clarion Ledger thinks or says? Matter of fact what does it matter what anybody else thinks or says? This is our school and whomever Dr. Keenum hires is ours and we should get behind him or her and fully support them. To hell with the rest of them. WE ARE MSU! HAIL STATE!

msstate7
10-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Easy Decision. Make Msstate7 AD and Baseball Coach because he knows EVERTHING. He is the Cliff Claven of ED.

Good idea. First order of business will be a huge raise for Mullen along with a big statue of him in front of every building on campus**

If you want, I'll sign a picture of myself for you for Christmas. To my #1 fan, drugdog...

Drugdog
10-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Good idea. First order of business will be a huge raise for Mullen along with a big statue of him in front of every building on campus**

If you want, I'll sign a picture of myself for you for Christmas. To my #1 fan, drugdog...

Still on the Purple Drank I see.

msbulldog
10-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Yeah but what about the other sports? If he's the AD he can't just focus on baseball and not put as much emphasis on the other sports and I think the other sports will divert his attention. Just food for thought.

C'mon Todd, your smarter than that! Cohen has already been involved in the coaching hiring process. He attends and takes interest in the other sports games. I have read and heard interviews about Cohen becoming the center of interest in social situations where he exhibits intelligence that captivates the room. He has the drive and the love of MSU that makes him the most logical choice for the AD job. I think he's the best baseball coach we've ever had, but I think he will also make the best AD we've ever had.

JDog13
10-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Does't Cohen make something like $1M as baseball coach? And Striklin made around $500K I think. Cohen would be making less money unless they all of a sudden made the AD position a lot higher grade that it was. And if he were to try to do both jobs ... coach baseball and be AD ... I doubt they'd give him both salaries. Plus, I have a feeling he's doing exactly what he wants to do at this stage in his life. Might want an office job when he gets older. I'll be surprised if Bonner and the CL are correct.

Promotion was in quotes fam

JDog13
10-20-2016, 07:01 PM
And who cares what the Clarion Ledger thinks or says? Matter of fact what does it matter what anybody else thinks or says? This is our school and whomver Dr. Keenum hires is ours and we should get behind him or her and fully support them. To hell with the rest of them. WE ARE MSU! HAIL STATE!

Bob Carskadon? Is that you?

msbulldog
10-20-2016, 07:08 PM
Bob Carskadon? Is that you?

No, are you Brian Hadadd?

dawgday166
10-20-2016, 07:14 PM
Still on the Purple Drank I see.

That's some really, really exception shit he be dranking, smoking, or shootin ****

Red Sox Dawg
10-20-2016, 07:15 PM
No, are you Brian Hadadd?

That's going to leave a mark.

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 07:42 PM
C'mon Todd, your smarter than that! Cohen has already been involved in the coaching hiring process. He attends and takes interest in the other sports games. I have read and heard interviews about Cohen becoming the center of interest in social situations where he exhibits intelligence that captivates the room. He has the drive and the love of MSU that makes him the most logical choice for the AD job. I think he's the best baseball coach we've ever had, but I think he will also make the best AD we've ever had.

His experience is a very real concern. Especially in this day and age of the SEC. What is his background in marketing? How would he have handled the Jeffrey Simmons situation? How would he handle all of the myriad of other things an AD has to do that I don’t know myself because I’m not in that line of business?
I’m on hiring committees myself at work. That doesn’t mean I should be the CEO of where I work. Cohen does have a good personality- which is finny in light of all of the baseball boosters that wanted to run him off because of his alleged potty mouth and for yelling at the players eight years ago.

Let’s think about this:

What if I told you that we should hire a baseball coach with no AD experience as our AD? You would probably think I was nuts. If you don’t already. That’s essentially what you are saying we should do without question. And yes, I know he loves MSU. So did Larry Templeton. I think. It was hard to tell sometimes. So did Rockey Felker. That didn’t make him a great football coach. We don’t need someone that loves MSU. We need someone that can best lead MSU.

JDog13
10-20-2016, 07:43 PM
That's going to leave a mark.

Sunshine pumps don't leave marks.

msbulldog
10-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Sunshine pumps don't leave marks.

Maybe sunshine, but that's exactly how I feel and thanks for your comment that was funny!
Rep given.

msbulldog
10-20-2016, 08:26 PM
His experience is a very real concern. Especially in this day and age of the SEC. What is his background in marketing? How would he have handled the Jeffrey Simmons situation? How would he handle all of the myriad of other things an AD has to do that I don’t know myself because I’m not in that line of business?
I’m on hiring committees myself at work. That doesn’t mean I should be the CEO of where I work. Cohen does have a good personality- which is finny in light of all of the baseball boosters that wanted to run him off because of his alleged potty mouth and for yelling at the players eight years ago.

Let’s think about this:

What if I told you that we should hire a baseball coach with no AD experience as our AD? You would probably think I was nuts. If you don’t already. That’s essentially what you are saying we should do without question. And yes, I know he loves MSU. So did Larry Templeton. I think. It was hard to tell sometimes. So did Rockey Felker. That didn’t make him a great football coach. We don’t need someone that loves MSU. We need someone that can best lead MSU.

What is his background in marketing? As CEO you hire people with expertise in marketing.
How would he have handled the Jeffrey Simmons situation? Probably better than Strickand and Mullen, he probably would have taken a page out of Saban's playbook and said he was on indefinite probation and done the same thing we did anyway, sat him 1 game.
How would he handle all of the myriad of other things an AD has to do that I don’t know myself because I’m not in that line of business?
You as a good manager delegate responsibilities (like letting the pitching coaches, coach the pitchers).
I’m on hiring committees myself at work. Cohen is a coach and who knows better what it takes to be a successful coach?
Larry Templeton is no John Cohen!

EngDawg
10-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Well I had intended this to be a CL bashing thread, but we can't help from bashing ourselves. I guess it's the ED way.

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 11:00 PM
What is his background in marketing? As CEO you hire people with expertise in marketing.
How would he have handled the Jeffrey Simmons situation? Probably better than Strickand and Mullen, he probably would have taken a page out of Saban's playbook and said he was on indefinite probation and done the same thing we did anyway, sat him 1 game.
How would he handle all of the myriad of other things an AD has to do that I don?t know myself because I?m not in that line of business?
You as a good manager delegate responsibilities (like letting the pitching coaches, coach the pitchers).
I?m on hiring committees myself at work. Cohen is a coach and who knows better what it takes to be a successful coach?
Larry Templeton is no John Cohen!

And if you have a CEO candidate who has exoerience with all of those things you hire the one with experience.

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 11:02 PM
Well I had intended this to be a CL bashing thread, but we can't help from bashing ourselves. I guess it's the ED way.

Let's see who we hire before we know exactly how much to go all in bashing the Clarion-Ledger.

yjnkdawg
10-20-2016, 11:42 PM

Appears that to be the norm now.