PDA

View Full Version : Louisville receives NOA - Pitino charged with 'Failure to Monitior'

Beaver
10-20-2016, 08:56 AM
LINK (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17839841/rick-pitino-louisville-cardinals-coach-charged-failure-monitor-basketball-program)

Louisville got 4 Level I violations -- keep in mind, this comes after the university self-imposed a postseason ban and scholarship reductions last season.

starkvegasdawg
10-20-2016, 08:59 AM
9 over 3.

SDDawg
10-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Pitino is untouchable. Freeze is roadkill - zero respect and he'll feel it.

lamont
10-20-2016, 09:04 AM
This is why there is zero chance Freeze is in the sideline for OM next year. Their number of allegations far exceed Louisville's. And Pitino is going to be suspended awhile

BrunswickDawg
10-20-2016, 09:07 AM
"Acknowledging that violations likely did occur and in the hopes of mitigating further penalties, Louisville last season self-imposed a postseason ban, cut scholarships and reduced its recruiting access. The NCAA noted those efforts in its document, recognizing the 'imposition of meaningful corrective measures and/or penalties.' "

Note to OM - this is how you treat an investigation in the new NCAA. Y'all about to be toast.

WSOPdawg
10-20-2016, 09:25 AM
From Dana O'Neil's article... "What Pitino did or did not know might not matter. Under the most recent NCAA enforcement legislation, a head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of any and all staff members and can be held accountable for their violations, even if the coach is unaware.

Not knowing what happened, in other words, is no longer a defense. The NCAA's stance is that the head coach should have known."

TCUN and Freeze are 17'd!!! Now if it can only happen sooner rather than later.

ckDOG
10-20-2016, 09:37 AM
From Dana O'Neil's article... "What Pitino did or did not know might not matter. Under the most recent NCAA enforcement legislation, a head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of any and all staff members and can be held accountable for their violations, even if the coach i
Not knowing what happened, in other words, is no longer a defense. The NCAA's stance is that the head coach should have known."

TCUN and Freeze are 17'd!!! Now if it can only happen sooner rather than later.

Pretty clear the NCAA is going with a new approach in scaling back cheating. What's the best way to get a program to take a framework seriously? Have the livlihood of a man making $4 million a year threatened. I don't care how much that coach claims to be disconnected from every shady tactic. If you could be banned for several years from making that big paycheck, you are going to shake down every square inch of your current system to clean it up. Maybe some coaches will just take on the risk and stay the course, but it's a better approach than the current system.

Johnson85
10-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Pretty clear the NCAA is going with a new approach in scaling back cheating. What's the best way to get a program to take a framework seriously? Have the livlihood of a man making $4 million a year threatened. I don't care how much that coach claims to be disconnected from every shady tactic. If you could be banned for several years from making that big paycheck, you are going to shake down every square inch of your current system to clean it up. Most coaches will just take on the risk and stay the course, but it's a better approach than the current system.

FTFY. You have to look at what the coach has to gain versus the risk of getting caught. If a coach can make it two years, even at a university paying $1M per year, he can sock away enough to weather a multi-year show cause. Coaches may get a little more conservative and you may see fewer Freeze's out there, but as long as millions are on the table for head coaches and they are only penalized with loss of future income for violations, institutionalized cheating is going to continue.

ScottH
10-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Mistakes were made.

BB30
10-20-2016, 12:54 PM
On top of all of that, Lville had a very good team and quite possibly would have been competing for a NC or final 4 appearance when they instituted the self imposed ban. If OM were to self impose now I would think that would almost be a slap in the face to the NCAA as a " well now that we can't win the west or go to a NY6 bowl we will give ourselves a ban". They are going to get absolutely hammered and will be cleaning house for several years and for what a sugar bowl win. If the hammer does fall this could easily set their program back for a decade or more as the scholly reductions will be brutal with an SEC schedule. Hopefully we will be able to capitalize on the down years and keep them down.

preachermatt83
10-20-2016, 12:58 PM
No show cause even with failure to monitor. Those holding your breath for freeze to be gone are gonna be sadly disappointed I'm afraid.

msstate7
10-20-2016, 01:02 PM
No show cause even with failure to monitor. Those holding your breath for freeze to be gone are gonna be sadly disappointed I'm afraid.

I thought Louisville received an NOA, not sanctions.

Jack Lambert
10-20-2016, 01:03 PM
If I was an Ole Miss fan I would be more concern with the punishment issued to Alcorn then I would Louisville.

Bass Chaser
10-20-2016, 01:10 PM
I thought Louisville received an NOA, not sanctions.

Correct and it's failure to monitor an employee not the program big difference.

MafiaDawg
10-20-2016, 01:16 PM
They haven't given Louisville sanctions yet.

GreenheadDawg
10-20-2016, 01:31 PM

I think you're gonna be wrong again

Bass Chaser
10-20-2016, 01:32 PM
From the Courier Journal.

While men’s basketball coach Rick Pitino was not accused by the NCAA of directly providing improper benefits to recruits or players, he still “is potentially subject to a show-cause order,” according to the notice of allegations received by the University of Louisville.

NCAA guidelines could call for a suspension of 30-50 percent of a coach’s season for Level I violations without aggravating or mitigating factors, which was the case for Pitino’s allegation.

One of the four allegations issued to U of L by the NCAA was against Pitino for failure to monitor the actions of former assistant coach Andre McGee.

As a result of that allegation, Pitino could face a show-cause order – and thus possibly a suspension – per NCAA Bylaws 19.9.5.4 and 19.9.5.5, which allow the NCAA to order punishment “including but not limited to restriction of some or all athletically related duties” for a head coach if it is deemed that “an institution has not taken appropriate disciplinary or corrective action regarding an individual found in violation of the NCAA (rules).”

Homedawg
10-20-2016, 01:48 PM
I think you're gonna be wrong again

Well based on the initial Noa, preacher is correct. Now if and when an amended one comes out then maybe not. But as of today and the allegations on the table preacher is correct for sure. See that preacher, I agreed w you.......for now!

Tripp McNeely
10-20-2016, 03:09 PM

All this is, is an NOA

MafiaDawg
10-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Well based on the initial Noa, preacher is correct. Now if and when an amended one comes out then maybe not. But as of today and the allegations on the table preacher is correct for sure. See that preacher, I agreed w you.......for now!

Dude, they don't hand out punishments at an arraignment. I tried to put it in law and order terms. Why is this hard for people to understand.

Coldsleeve Jr.
10-20-2016, 03:27 PM
All this is, is an NOA

When does the COI meet on this?

I think Freeze gets a show cause regardless of what Pitino gets. 4 level 1's vs 8 level 1's and counting.

preachermatt83
10-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Lol, I just don't want to have my hopes too high.

LC Dawg
10-20-2016, 04:26 PM
FTFY. You have to look at what the coach has to gain versus the risk of getting caught. If a coach can make it two years, even at a university paying $1M per year, he can sock away enough to weather a multi-year show cause. Coaches may get a little more conservative and you may see fewer Freeze's out there, but as long as millions are on the table for head coaches and they are only penalized with loss of future income for violations, institutionalized cheating is going to continue.

I agree. If they start punishing the coach more than the program I think cheating may increase. If I was a coach and had a few million in the bank I wouldn't have a problem risking getting fired if I thought the risk may help me win a championship. The worst case scenario is you're unemployed and have time to enjoy your millions and the best case scenario is you win a championship.
If the NCAA takes this course it may even cause the school to turn the other way or even encourage some cheating if all that may happen is they lose a coach. If they have accumulated enough talent from cheating it will be easier to find a new coach.
The only way to really punish a program is to take away scholarships. Bowl bans hurt some because money is lost but if they don't lose players they will be right back in bowls making money. Vacated wins are just something a rival can make fun of.

anubus
10-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Mistakes were made, We gotta think of the young men we dedicated our lives to, Gotta do the lords work in giving second chances to lost boys who come to the flagship school...lol