PDA

View Full Version : Willie Gay

TNDawg35
10-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Any of you guys see the report on ESPN this morning about him. Said that he has an official set up for Michigan this wknd and he went on record saying as of now, Michigan is his #1. So are we out of the picture on him now?

msstate7
10-20-2016, 08:08 AM
Isn't he committed to om?

starkvegasdawg
10-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Soft verbal is last I saw on one of the recruiting sites. 24/7 I think.

TNDawg35
10-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Isn't he committed to om?

Supposedly. I just dont see him going there. It mentioned in the article that he hadnt taken any "sick" (im guessing he means fun) visits except for NM... I wonder if he got a blonde or a brunette there?

Thick
10-20-2016, 08:19 AM
Who cares? If he wants to take his game to that shit conference just to say he played at Michigan, then so be it. Is he really a difference maker for our program? Is he going to step in, and be an impact LB in this division? I'm saying probably not. Our staff NEEDS to be and should be going balls out for big, mean, physical linemen period and some DB's that can cover the Atlantic. Those are our most glaring needs/weaknesses.

maroonmania
10-20-2016, 08:24 AM
Who cares? If he wants to take his game to that shit conference just to say he played at Michigan, then so be it. Is he really a difference maker for our program? Is he going to step in, and be an impact LB in this division? I'm saying probably not. Our staff NEEDS to be and should be going balls out for big, mean, physical linemen period and some DB's that can cover the Atlantic. Those are our most glaring needs/weaknesses.

I'm a lot more concerned that there is a coaching staff that's been put in place at Starkville HS that is poisoning the well relative to MSU than I am about Willie Gay or any one particular recruit. Looks like to me the only recruits we will be getting from Starkville for the time being are the ones that are already bought into MSU like Kobe Jones.

WSOPdawg
10-20-2016, 08:25 AM

I'd say our staff needs to be NOT cooperating with Harbaugh and bringing the Michigan shit show to town for summer camps in the heart of Mississippi!!! What a dumba$$ move this was this past summer.

Dawgology
10-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Yep. It would be nice to have him in the boat but if he wants to tie his fate to the sinking ship that is Ole Miss then, by all means, go right ahead. That sends a clear message to me regarding what he is looking for. Either that or he is being lied to in the biggest way possible. On the other hand if he decides to go to Michigan then good luck to him. That's a big time program for the most part. With that in mind, though, the theory that he is going to Ole Miss because of his girlfriend begins to not hold water.

Dawgology
10-20-2016, 08:27 AM
I'm a lot more concerned that there is a coaching staff that's been put in place at Starkville HS that is poisoning the well relative to MSU than I am about Willie Gay or any one particular recruit. Looks like to me the only recruits we will be getting from Starkville for the time being are the ones that are already bought into MSU like Kobe Jones.

Right on the money. What troubles me more than Willie Gay going somewhere else is the fact that the SHS coaching staff has been allowed to become what it is...part of the UNM recruiting tool. I can't believe Starkville and Okt. County residents allow that to continue. It's pathetic. I guess they take no pride in where they are or their local university. I don't know.

Jarius
10-20-2016, 08:51 AM
Willie Gay is arguably the best player in the state. Losing him after we lost AJ Brown last year would be absolutely ridiculous. If he goes to OM that would just make it even worse. This is an example of the larger issue at hand with Mullen and why you have to look at all areas of his job going forward.

Cooterpoot
10-20-2016, 08:55 AM
1. Willie Gay is not the best player in the state. Not close.
2. He can't get into Michigan and they're not even a concern.
3. Willie committed to UM because his girlfriend is up there (on the NCAA infracted track team).

He will end up at either UM or State unless something really changes.

SDDawg
10-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Willie needs to step it up, good player but he's not progressing fast enough. He'll end up State, take a shirt, will end up being good in 3 years.

Bothrops
10-20-2016, 09:05 AM
I can't see Willie still wanting to go play football at OM as the storm gets nearer.

Really Clark?
10-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Willie Gay is arguably the best player in the state. Losing him after we lost AJ Brown last year would be absolutely ridiculous. If he goes to OM that would just make it even worse. This is an example of the larger issue at hand with Mullen and why you have to look at all areas of his job going forward.

Yeah. The larger issue at hand at SHS is not Mullen and should not be a black mark against him.

msstate7
10-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Looks like we going head-to-head with Michigan for 2 lb's (gay and shanon Reid)

jumbo
10-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Don't think Willie will qualify at Michigan. ALso, no way he's going that far away from his family.

Jarius
10-20-2016, 09:19 AM
Yeah. The larger issue at hand at SHS is not Mullen and should not be a black mark against him.

I have no clue about the SHS situation, but Kobe Jones came to State. I realize that there may be other issues at play, but I also realize that Hev used to recruit that area.

WSOPdawg
10-20-2016, 09:20 AM
No need to slam Gay because we've got a ways to go before signing day, plus we have some of his friends on the team to help sway him.

Really Clark?
10-20-2016, 09:27 AM
I have no clue about the SHS situation, but Kobe Jones came to State. I realize that there may be other issues at play, but I also realize that Hev used to recruit that area.

I don't think Hev has recruited SHS for a couple of years. Sirmon is the guy their now. I know they understand the issues with Hev recruiting.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Willie isn't going to Michigan. 1. He wouldn't get accepted to Michigan academically. 2. He's not going that far from home.

This is going to come down to MSU/OM & OM is very worried about Willie. This won't be over until signing day but we have a very good shot.

Jack Lambert
10-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Had breakfast last week in Utah with a parent of a starter. He told me how Ole Miss recruits and they do blow our pants off in recruiting but 80% of what he told me has to be a NCAA violation but they are so minor and the parents keep it to them selves. His son was recruited by both.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Had breakfast last week in Utah with a parent of a starter. He told me how Ole Miss recruits and they do blow our pants off in recruiting but 80% of what he told me has to be a NCAA violation but they are so minor and the parents keep it to them selves. His son was recruited by both.

1. I can buy this. This is the difference between a staff that's passionate about recruiting and one that pats itself on the back about its development and just views recruiting as a means to an end/ necessary evil/ part of the job. It shows up in the little things. Just because Ole Miss cheats and will have their staff fired, doesn't mean they do everything wrong

2. Agree with IYOK on Gay. Believe Gay could be using Michigan as a way distance himself from OM without causing a pressure shit storm.

I seen it dawg
10-20-2016, 10:44 AM
Everyone relax on Willie

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 11:02 AM
1. I can buy this. This is the difference between a staff that's passionate about recruiting and one that pats itself on the back about its development and just views recruiting as a means to an end/ necessary evil/ part of the job. It shows up in the little things. Just because Ole Miss cheats and will have their staff fired, doesn't mean they do everything wrong

2. Agree with IYOK on Gay. Believe Gay could be using Michigan as a way distance himself from OM without causing a pressure shit storm.

I thin some of our fans may confuse passion for recruiting with illegal recruiting sometimes. And you are 100% correct in that a big reason why we don't recruit as well as we could is because we haven't had a staff in years that is truly passionate about recruiting. You get what you earn.

Todd4State
10-20-2016, 11:05 AM

If you are losing major recruits in your backyard that's a problem.

Really Clark?
10-20-2016, 11:09 AM
If you are losing major recruits in your backyard that's a problem.

It is. And the problem at SHS needs to be corrected and hopefully the violations that they have been allowing is included with the revised NOA. But you can't put losing AJ on our staff.

gtowndawg
10-20-2016, 11:11 AM
1. I can buy this. This is the difference between a staff that's passionate about recruiting and one that pats itself on the back about its development and just views recruiting as a means to an end/ necessary evil/ part of the job. It shows up in the little things. Just because Ole Miss cheats and will have their staff fired, doesn't mean they do everything wrong.

Completely agree.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2016, 11:15 AM
MSU has already taken some steps to correct what's going on with SHS.

Boodawg
10-20-2016, 11:20 AM
MSU has already taken some steps to correct what's going on with SHS.

Please elaborate if you can...

thf24
10-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Nafoom claims Michigan is just a diversion to ease local pressure as he distances himself from OM and he's being offered "incentives" to sign with us. Their commitment to living in their fantasy land is honestly pretty impressive.

Thick
10-20-2016, 11:23 AM
It's good, if true, that MSU is trying to smooth things over with SHS. Does getting Gay do one thing to help this team become successful running/passing the football? If you tell me that Gay is a proven leader that does his talking on the field then I want him. If he's more of what we currently have at LBer, then I pass on him. We need BEASTS at LBer, not prima donnas that will still be talking about their high school careers when they are in college.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2016, 11:24 AM
Please elaborate if you can...

There was a sit down between some important people at MSU & important people at SHS. MSU let it be known their concerns about what was happening at SHS & SHS assured those things will be cleared up & not an issue going forward. I don't want to put out there all the things that was talked about but I will just say some doors that were opened at SHS are no longer opened for just anybody to walk through.

WSOPdawg
10-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Willie isn't going to Michigan. 1. He wouldn't get accepted to Michigan academically. 2. He's not going that far from home.

This is going to come down to MSU/OM & OM is very worried about Willie. This won't be over until signing day but we have a very good shot.

This is exactly what I'm thinking and the closer we get to signing day, I expect the TCUN's NCAA problems to become magnified (much more than in the past few years) with many recruits having a change of heart (especially when the red backpacks all dry up).

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Any of you guys see the report on ESPN this morning about him. Said that he has an official set up for Michigan this wknd and he went on record saying as of now, Michigan is his #1. So are we out of the picture on him now?.

msstate7
10-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Good... we need him

Really Clark?
10-20-2016, 11:42 AM
It's good, if true, that MSU is trying to smooth things over with SHS. Does getting Gay do one thing to help this team become successful running/passing the football? If you tell me that Gay is a proven leader that does his talking on the field then I want him. If he's more of what we currently have at LBer, then I pass on him. We need BEASTS at LBer, not prima donnas that will still be talking about their high school careers when they are in college.

What did we have to smooth over? Think it was more of addressing the problems SHS have

HoopsDawg
10-20-2016, 11:48 AM

I'm not going to complain about getting another athletic LB to go with Leo Lewis. I don't love our roster after Leo.

msstate7
10-20-2016, 11:51 AM
I'm not going to complain about getting another athletic LB to go with Leo Lewis. I don't love our roster after Leo.

Don't think Gerri can man middle with Leo next season?

Giving up on Thompson and Washington already?

Could peters potentially land at lb? We really need to get something out of him

HoopsDawg
10-20-2016, 11:51 AM
There was a sit down between some important people at MSU & important people at SHS. MSU let it be known their concerns about what was happening at SHS & SHS assured those things will be cleared up & not an issue going forward. I don't want to put out there all the things that was talked about but I will just say some doors that were opened at SHS are no longer opened for just anybody to walk through.

Off topic, but why do we have zero corners committed? Are we looking at any one? This is a big concern of mine and I would think it would be of Mullen's.

HoopsDawg
10-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Giving up on Thompson and Washington already?

Could peters potentially land at lb? We really need to get something out of him

Those guys don't have the upside or talent of Leo or Gay. There's always going to be Tim Washington type guys to sign.

You know my thoughts on Peters and it involves the 4-2-5 defense which we should be running.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2016, 12:25 PM
Off topic, but why do we have zero corners committed? Are we looking at any one? This is a big concern of mine and I would think it would be of Mullen's.

We have Tyler Williams. Also a lot of people think Landrews ends up at CB. We're still looking for a HS guy if he's legit.

maroonmania
10-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Had breakfast last week in Utah with a parent of a starter. He told me how Ole Miss recruits and they do blow our pants off in recruiting but 80% of what he told me has to be a mistake but they are so minor and the parents keep it to them selves. His son was recruited by both.

FIFY

maroonmania
10-20-2016, 12:33 PM

If I hear "developmental program" one more time from Mullen I will throw up. I'm sorry, and its great that we develop players (at least at certain positions), but the way our coaches use it I just take it as a convenient excuse for our lazy, lackluster recruiting.

mic
10-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Everyone relax on Willie

Yes... Everyone relax.. things with WG are a lot better than most think..

mic
10-20-2016, 12:51 PM
We have Tyler Williams. Also a lot of people think Landrews ends up at CB. We're still looking for a HS guy if he's legit.

Yes.. And we have a possible juco CB that may come into play next few weeks ...

confucius say
10-20-2016, 12:52 PM

What do we have at lb that you don't want or is Primma Donna? Leo is a stud. Richie is solid, not great, but not a Primma Donna. Gray is just too small. I like Thompson.

gtowndawg
10-20-2016, 01:31 PM
If I hear "developmental program" one more time from Mullen I will throw up. I'm sorry, and its great that we develop players (at least at certain positions), but the way our coaches use it I just take it as a convenient excuse for our lazy, lackluster recruiting.

Thank you! How about we develop 4 stars into 5 stars. I'd be ok with that developmental program.

shrimp
10-20-2016, 01:33 PM
As Martellus Bennett would say, "we don't need linebackers that eat with forks and knives. We need linebackers that eat with their hands."

HoopsDawg
10-20-2016, 01:41 PM

Amen.

mic
10-20-2016, 02:04 PM

Yes Landrews will be Used as a Nickle / CB
He have 2 guys redshirting.. Dantzler ( who I was told would have played as a true freshman if he hadn't gotten hurt) and we have a juco CB or 2 that may be coming into play very soon..
Plus as many of you can see now, Cleveland is a good SEC corner.. Not saying he is ALL sec but he is a soild option.. And will be back next year

DeviousDawg
10-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Willie Gay will be a Dawg.

Bodaski
10-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Was told that John Michael Hankerson has been a real pleasant surprise. In other words, I gathered the staff feels like they have found a sleeper with really good speed and skills. Has anyone else heard this?

HoopsDawg
10-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Was told that John Michael Hankerson has been a real pleasant surprise. In other words, I gathered the staff feels like they have found a sleeper with really good speed and skills. Has anyone else heard this?

I have heard this and I forgot about him. The coaches must feel good about Hankerson and Dantzler to not have any other corners committed in this class. Hopefully we can find one more really good prospect b/c corner is a big roster concern of mine.

GTHOM
10-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Starkville high schools coaching staff is not making their kids go to OM....

FISHDAWG
10-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Starkville high schools coaching staff is not making their kids go to OM....

so SHS admin was just blowing smoke when they said those concerns would be addressed and those issues would no longer be a concern or are you just in the mood to call our most knowledgeable / connected poster a liar ?

jumbo
10-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Yes.. And we have a possible juco CB that may come into play next few weeks ...

Did this guy go to Bama out of HS by chance?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2016, 07:00 PM
so SHS admin was just blowing smoke when they said those concerns would be addressed and those issues would no longer be a concern or are you just in the mood to call our most knowledgeable / connected poster a liar ?

He's right they aren't making anyone go to OM. They were just a little too accommodating to do things that would be considered helping OM.

Thick
10-20-2016, 08:01 PM
What do we have at lb that you don't want or is Primma Donna? Leo is a stud. Richie is solid, not great, but not a Primma Donna. Gray is just too small. I like Thompson.

Richie used to be solid. This year he has not hit anyone. He grabs ballcarriers and hangs on for dear life. Leo is flirting with personal fouls/unsportsmanlike penalties every play he's involved in, and this team can't afford that crap. I want him to be a physical beast, but don't do stupid shit when you get trucked or somebody talks shit to you. Willie Gay might be great, but people who have seen him play came away with he's good but not great. Regardless, we can sign 3 Lewis's or Gay's, but it won't solve our real problems...OL and DB's.

Taog Redloh
10-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Gay will be at MSU.