PDA

View Full Version : Fitz

msstate7
10-20-2016, 07:41 AM
In his limited action last year, his deep throws are what impressed me the most about him. What happened? Fitz hasn't looked anywhere close to the same with deep passes this season

Dawgology
10-20-2016, 07:49 AM
I guess because we were so comfortably ahead in those games he could take shots down the field and feel no real pressure. Now the games is on his shoulders. I think its an inexperience thing as well as nerves.

Duckdog
10-20-2016, 07:49 AM
i don't have any idea. Hit the reset button

msstate7
10-20-2016, 07:55 AM
i don't have any idea. Hit the reset button

https://s21.postimg.org/hanglzbmf/IMG_1319.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/z0p570p77/)

BrunswickDawg
10-20-2016, 07:56 AM
I guess because we were so comfortably ahead in those games he could take shots down the field and feel no real pressure. Now the games is on his shoulders. I think its an inexperience thing as well as nerves.

Add to it the competition we were playing against. Those were against Troy and Northwestern St. There was ZERO pass rush by either of those teams. None.
Fitz has thrown some deep balls, but when has he had time to do it when he wasn't scrambling for his life?

DownwardDawg
10-20-2016, 08:10 AM
Add to it the competition we were playing against. Those were against Troy and Northwestern St. There was ZERO pass rush by either of those teams. None.
Fitz has thrown some deep balls, but when has he had time to do it when he wasn't scrambling for his life?

On a few of his deep throws this year, he has had plenty of time and missed open receivers by a mile. He is very similar to Chris Relf but Relf ended up being very effective due to the offense we ran.

BrunswickDawg
10-20-2016, 08:26 AM
On a few of his deep throws this year, he has had plenty of time and missed open receivers by a mile. He is very similar to Chris Relf but Relf ended up being very effective due to the offense we ran.
That's true, but so has every QB we've ever had. Dak threw bad deep balls his whole career - to the point that he hardly threw them. For some reason, Dan's O doesn't produce a lot of deep balls. I can't figure out if he doesn't call them, the QB's can't throw them, the line can't block for them, or the receivers cant run the routes, or all of the above.

BB30
10-20-2016, 08:28 AM
He is young and he is pressing. He has got to slow the game down. It is a lot easier to do that when you are up 35 points than it is when its a tight game and the team is relying on you.

bulldawg28
10-20-2016, 08:31 AM
That's true, but so has every QB we've ever had. Dak threw bad deep balls his whole career - to the point that he hardly threw them. For some reason, Dan's O doesn't produce a lot of deep balls. I can't figure out if he doesn't call them, the QB's can't throw them, the line can't block for them, or the receivers cant run the routes, or all of the above.

The routes are there. I think that's one thing Fitz took from Dak is to take the shorter throws in the slot. He'll throw it there 70% of the time. He doesn't like to come off his first read. Ironically, you'd think a scrambler like Fitz would automatically look downfield for someone breaking open.

maroonmania
10-20-2016, 08:35 AM

Exactly, it must be the pressure of the situation and the adrenaline because he is overthrowing everything down the field even in cases when he has plenty of time to throw. We can't complete a long pass because so far Fitz hasn't given our receivers any chance to get to any of the footballs he has thrown.

BB30
10-20-2016, 08:37 AM
The routes are there. I think that's one thing Fitz took from Dak is to take the shorter throws in the slot. He'll throw it there 70% of the time. He doesn't like to come off his first read. Ironically, you'd think a scrambler like Fitz would automatically look downfield for someone breaking open.

I think it was the first qtr of BYU game Fitz scrambled out of the pocket and targeted gray down field and just over threw him by a lot. There have been several instances he has done this and just hasn't made the throw.

confucius say
10-20-2016, 08:37 AM
It would help if the receivers would catch the accurate deep balls. Ross has dropped two passes over 25 yards and Myles one. Those three are off top of my head.

BrunswickDawg
10-20-2016, 08:39 AM

I think a lot of that is his overall inexperience. In HS, if he had to scramble, he would look for the running lane because his speed was superior to most of the teams he was up against. So adjusting from his natural instinct to run to looking way down field is an adjustment he hasn't made - in which case looking for the slot makes sense.

Bothrops
10-20-2016, 08:48 AM
He's taken a few deep throws this year, but has mostly been off target, unlike last year. But we don't have the hands out there like we did last year either.

bulldawg28
10-20-2016, 09:22 AM
I think a lot of that is his overall inexperience. In HS, if he had to scramble, he would look for the running lane because his speed was superior to most of the teams he was up against. So adjusting from his natural instinct to run to looking way down field is an adjustment he hasn't made - in which case looking for the slot makes sense.

True.

Landon7799
10-20-2016, 09:26 AM
I think he will get there with time. Dak his sophomore year couldn't throw the ball very well. If you compare Dak's and Nick Fitzgerald's sophomore stats they are nearly identical in the passing game. We just have to wait and see if he develops the same way Dak did.

I seen it dawg
10-20-2016, 10:46 AM
WORK

Barking 13
10-20-2016, 11:03 AM

this

BankerDog
10-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Needs to stop arguing with 12 year olds on Instagram and partying so much and actually put in work. The reason the team has better chemistry with Tiano and Williams is because those two were getting guys together and doing 7 on 7 after weights.

maroonmania
10-20-2016, 12:47 PM
It would help if the receivers would catch the accurate deep balls. Ross has dropped two passes over 25 yards and Myles one. Those three are off top of my head.

The pass that Ross dropped in the BYU game 2nd OT is actually the best pass Fitz has thrown all year.

confucius say
10-20-2016, 12:56 PM
The pass that Ross dropped in the BYU game 2nd OT is actually the best pass Fitz has thrown all year.

👆

Jack Lambert
10-20-2016, 01:06 PM
I don't know all about the passing but seeing that leap into the end zone up close and in person was amazing. The BYU fans were really impressed.

msstate7
10-20-2016, 10:00 PM
I'm watching Boise shred byu thru the air and it's making me really question being so patient with fitz. Byu's secondary is abysmal and we had guys open all night, but couldn't complete passes. I'm all for fitz starting, but I don't like him having a rope from here to California in-game when he goes ice cold. I really hope this patience pays off down the stretch and next season. We could've beat byu by 2 td's with dam Williams throwing the ball and I'm a fitz guy

Taog Redloh
10-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Fitz isn't our problem.

msstate7
10-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Fitz isn't our problem.

We have many problems and fitz's accuracy is certainly one of them. Unfortunately for fitz, our receivers dropping the ball is another problem and it really hurts us and fitz

TimberBeast
10-20-2016, 10:43 PM
I'm watching Boise shred byu thru the air and it's making me really question being so patient with fitz. Byu's secondary is abysmal and we had guys open all night, but couldn't complete passes. I'm all for fitz starting, but I don't like him having a rope from here to California in-game when he goes ice cold. I really hope this patience pays off down the stretch and next season. We could've beat byu by 2 td's with dam Williams throwing the ball and I'm a fitz guy

We lost to south Alabama and Williams was one of the main reasons. He is not going to play again, please get over it. It's a good thing. Fitz is not the problem with our team, give him a chance to learn. Mullen has already lost the season.

msstate7
10-20-2016, 11:11 PM
We lost to south Alabama and Williams was one of the main reasons. He is not going to play again, please get over it. It's a good thing. Fitz is not the problem with our team, give him a chance to learn. Mullen has already lost the season.

I don't know about one of the main reasons. Dam Williams had 7 drives in the USA game...

Td
Td
Fg
Fg
Punt
Punt
Missed Fg
Missed fg to win it

In 8 drives, Williams either scored or had us in a position to score 6 times.

Vs lsu, Williams had 3 drives...

Td
Td
Downs

So in 11 drives total this year, Williams has scored a td 4 times, kicked a Fg 4 times (2 good, 2 missed), punted 2 times, and turned it over on downs once.

yjnkdawg
10-20-2016, 11:18 PM
OK he threw 78 passes his senior year for 671 yards. His junior year he threw 8 passes for 43 yards. In rushing, his senior year he rushed for over 1500 yards and 25 TDs. So he has had limited passing experience due to the offense his high school ran. Mullen must have seen that he has the potential to be a good SEC quarterback, but he is still raw and learning. Fitz told the media that it was foot work that causes the bad throws, and he needed to work on that. He said when he is accurate his footwork is good.

msstate7
10-20-2016, 11:25 PM
OK he threw 78 passes his senior year for 671 yards. His junior year he threw 8 passes for 43 yards. In rushing, his senior year he rushed for over 1500 yards and 25 TDs. So he has had limited passing experience due to the offense his high school ran. Mullen must have seen that he has the potential to be a good SEC quarterback, but he is still raw and learning. Fitz told the media that it was foot work that causes the bad throws, and he needed to work on that. He said when he is accurate his footwork is good.

Don't get me wrong, I want fitz starting. I want fitz to play till he's ineffective. At the 2 min mark of the byu game, fitz went ice cold and stayed that way for the entire 3rd quarter and most of the 4th. I don't like letting him struggle for extended periods of time. I want to develop fitz, but I don't want to sacrifice games in the process.

Drugdog
10-20-2016, 11:55 PM
When you are running for your life because the offensive line has more holes than a screen door,it's hard to throw deep. Thanks Heavesy.

TimberBeast
10-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Don't get me wrong, I want fitz starting. I want fitz to play till he's ineffective. At the 2 min mark of the byu game, fitz went ice cold and stayed that way for the entire 3rd quarter and most of the 4th. I don't like letting him struggle for extended periods of time. I want to develop fitz, but I don't want to sacrifice games in the process.

Williams couldn't hit anyone the entire 2nd half of the USA game. Which games have we sacrificed playing fitz and trying to develop him? That USA game should have been fitz's first confidence builder with Aeris starting at rb and we are likely looking at a somewhat different season right now, but Mullen couldn't do that.

Todd4State
10-21-2016, 02:34 AM

It's more to our long term benefit if Fitzgerald plays. We had fans after South Alabama complaining that we should have stuck with Fitzgerald and I think as fans we should stay with that approach the whole way through. Damien and Tiano are not going to tangibly give us a better chance to go to a bowl at this point compared to Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald may party too much and maybe his work ethic should be better but he has no running game to help him if Hilloway is healthy due to our stubborn play calling, he has mostly small wide receivers that he's trying to find while our matador o-line is allowing anyone with a pulse to blow by them. He's basically running for his life out there. On top of everything else he's trying to learn how to play QB in the SEC and he's following our best QB in school history. That's a tough situation for any QB and Fitzgerald certainly could be a lot worse.

Todd4State
10-21-2016, 02:39 AM
Williams couldn't hit anyone the entire 2nd half of the USA game. Which games have we sacrificed playing fitz and trying to develop him? That USA game should have been fitz's first confidence builder with Aeris starting at rb and we are likely looking at a somewhat different season right now, but Mullen couldn't do that.

Exactly. We win South Alabama and we would be 3-3 maybe 4-2 right now with a win over BYU. But 3-3 at this point and then with very possible wins over Kentucky and Samford would put us at 5-3 going into murderer's row. An Egg Bowl win could get us 6-6 in that scenario.

As it is Saturday is for 4-8 vs. 3-9 on the year for us.

gravedigger
10-21-2016, 10:00 AM

Fitz isn't our problem.

Correct. The decision to play him in front of Tiano is. And Tiano wont solve all our problems. But he wont exacerbate them either.

Taog Redloh
10-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Correct. The decision to play him in front of Tiano is. And Tiano wont solve all our problems. But he wont exacerbate them either.

OL will kill Tiano too. That's really the end of the discussion.

List of QBs killed by a poor MSU OL in my lifetime: Bond, Smith, Shell, Jordan, Taite, Wyatt, Madkin, Fant, Connor, Henig, Carroll, Lee, Relf, Russell, Fitzgerald

List of QBs not killed by a poor MSU OL in my lifetime: Robinson (he would have in 93 had he not gotten hurt), Prescott (only because he was good enough to overcome)

Look back and you will see that good OLs coincide with good seasons 90% of the time. In our elite seasons, we had a good OL combined with either good QB play or an elite defense.

Cooterpoot
10-21-2016, 10:09 AM
Fitz is fine. He's pretty much where Dak was at the same point in their careers. Dak ran the read better but that's about it. He was airmailing a lot of balls and wasn't the most accurate either. If the receivers didn't suck ass, and the line fold up like a cheap lawn chair, Fitz would look better than Dak throwing the ball in his Soph. season.
And Tiano himself has stated he's not ready yet. So you guys can get off that train too.

SheltonChoked
10-21-2016, 10:11 AM
This.

The South Alabama loss is on playing Williams too much. I can think of 4 runs that Damien made for a gain of 20+ yards, where he was caught from behind or by the safety. Fitz scores on all of them. Easy. Noe of those there on a touchdown drive. So if we'd rotated back to Fitz in the second half, I think we would have won by 4+ touchdowns. Damien is ahead of Fitz in the mental game, but is so much more limited in ability. He doesn't have the speed to be a Relf runner, or the arm to be a passer that stretches the field.

Duckdog
10-21-2016, 10:11 AM
wyatt sucked he still sucks

SheltonChoked
10-21-2016, 10:23 AM
I don't know about one of the main reasons. Dam Williams had 7 drives in the USA game...

Td
Td
Fg
Fg
Punt
Punt
Missed Fg
Missed fg to win it

In 8 drives, Williams either scored or had us in a position to score 6 times.

Vs lsu, Williams had 3 drives...

Td
Td
Downs

So in 11 drives total this year, Williams has scored a td 4 times, kicked a Fg 4 times (2 good, 2 missed), punted 2 times, and turned it over on downs once.

So here is my issue with Damien.

On the FG to start the second half, here is the 2nd play:
2nd and 4 at MSST 29
(9:19 - 3rd) Damian Williams run for 23 yds to the SAlab 48 for a 1ST down.

Williams is caught from behind. Fitz the next week outran the South Carolina secondary. Fitz scores. Add 4 points to MSU.

On the missed FG in the 4th quarter, here is the 4th play of the drive:
2nd and 8 at USA 44
(7:36 - 4th) Damian Williams run for 23 yds to the SAlab 21 for a 1ST down

Williams is caught from behind. Fitz the next week outran the South Carolina secondary. Fitz scores. Add 7 points to MSU.

On the final Missed FG, here is the 6th play:
2nd and 6 at USA 32
(0:19 - 4th) Damian Williams run for 13 yds to the SAlab 19 for a 1ST down
Williams is stopped by the safety. Fitz the next week outran the South Carolina secondary. Fitz scores. Add 7 points to MSU.

There is a 9 yard run for Damien on punts that could have been big too, but I don't remember them. Either way +18 points changes the game.
Edit:

Found the link to the 13 yard run.

Tell me Fitz doesn't score here:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17456998

JoseBrown
10-21-2016, 10:34 AM
He is young and he is pressing. He has got to slow the game down. It is a lot easier to do that when you are up 35 points than it is when its a tight game and the team is relying on you.

I agree. I think he's rushing them a bit for whatever reason, but once the game slows down for him he has a freaking canon and his accuracy should improve.

I was glad to hear Dan spoke about it after the press conference. One of the things I remember him saying about Fitz is that he goes to the LOS thinking since coach called that play then he better get that deep ball out no matter what...and doesn't get to read 2 or check down if need be. Compared to last year Dak would go thru progressions and get it out to the correct read. With Fitz he expects him to pick it up like Dak did last year....in time. Wyatt said something to the effect that this year is a learning year for Fitz and that Dan believes Fitz will get it, but not a throw away year...

JoseBrown
10-21-2016, 10:38 AM

That was the best pass _______ has thrown all season. It was an absolutely beautiful pass. You can just about fill in the blank on that one.