PDA

View Full Version : It's too late to fix the offensive line with JUCOs.......

Taog Redloh
10-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Looking at our roster, and looking at Jake Wimberly's videos (great insight there by the way), I think at this point it's too late. Yes, it's good that we have noticed this problem and have 2 JUCO OL commitments and are seeking a 3rd. But the more I think about it, those guys should have been signed last year, for the following reasons:

- Watching Rankin, it's pretty obvious that JUCO OL don't contribute immediately, at least that's not the percentage play
- Our current Junior class is small, while the Sophomore class is huge - these JUCOs will be adding to the Sophomore class
- They possibly could have helped us this year as well, if 1 of the 3 had maybe panned out

This points to a total mismanagement of our OL situation. We signed FAR too few in 2012 and 2013, and that trend has continued. I only see a maximum of 3 every year, we should be signing 5. And then the technique to go along with it? I don't know if it's Hevesy or what, but this is pretty terrible and to me, it points to another losing season next year.

Offensive line has always been a killer for MSU football, and it's no different now. I don't know why these coaches can't see this.

Cooterpoot
10-19-2016, 09:38 AM
We're the only school in America that recruited Rankin to play tackle. He's a natural guard and should be playing there. It's a damn mess for sure. We've got 4 "decent" OL on our roster. Problem is, they're all guards. We have no real tackles.

Bothrops
10-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Next year will be a losing a season. 2018 should be a bowl season, maybe a bit more than just that. We will have good seniority in most groups.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Next year will be a losing a season. 2018 should be a bowl season, maybe a bit more than just that. We will have good seniority in most groups.

Maybe, but I was more talking about Mullen's prospects in 2017, I guess I should have clarified that. If we lose again in 2017 he'll be gone. Hard to see the line improving, by looking at just numbers. Lose 4 seniors, and Rankin will be the only rising senior. Jenkins, Cochran and Calhoun will be juniors along with the JUCOs (whoever doesn't redshirt). Wow what a miss. This is why those JUCOs should have been signed last year, so they would be ready made seniors for 2017.

Bothrops
10-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Maybe, but I was more talking about Mullen's prospects in 2017, I guess I should have clarified that. If we lose again in 2017 he'll be gone. Hard to see the line improving, by looking at just numbers. Lose 4 seniors, and Rankin will be the only rising senior. Jenkins, Cochran and Calhoun will be juniors along with the JUCOs (whoever doesn't redshirt). Wow what a miss. This is why those JUCOs should have been signed last year, so they would be ready made seniors for 2017.

Spot on. It seems that a couple of our coaches quit certain aspects of their jobs, in simultaneous fashion.

lamont
10-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Its embarrassing to look at that group. They are going to get crushed this November and then we lose 3 starters heading into next year. Then next year will be our 3rd straight pitiful OL.

DeviousDawg
10-19-2016, 10:26 AM
JUCO offensive linemen can get the job done, we have just missed on the good ones.

Brandon Hodges: played high school at Aberdeen, went unsigned out of high school and went to EMCC. Signed with Texas in 2015. Redshirted last year and has started every game this year at Right Tackle.

Avery Gennessy: played high school at Southaven, signed with EMCC, then signed with Texas A&M in 2014. Redshirted in 2014 and started every game in 2015 and this year at Left Tackle, will be a top 3 round pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Just imagine how much better our line would be with both of them at the tackles, Rankin and Calhoun at guard and Clayborn at Center.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2016, 10:29 AM
JUCO offensive linemen can get the job done, we have just missed on the good ones.

Brandon Hodges: played high school at Aberdeen, went unsigned out of high school and went to EMCC. Signed with Texas in 2015. Redshirted last year and has started every game this year at Right Tackle.

Avery Gennessy: played high school at Southaven, signed with EMCC, then signed with Texas A&M in 2014. Redshirted in 2014 and started every game in 2015 and this year at Left Tackle, will be a top 3 round pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Just imagine how much better our line would be with both of them at the tackles, Rankin and Calhoun at guard and Clayborn at Center.

Donald Hawkins at NWCC too. NWCC is somewhere our coaches just refuse to go.

starkvegasdawg
10-19-2016, 10:34 AM

If next year is a losing season then if Mullen survives this offseason no way he survives next. 2018 would be with a new coach. That said, I can't shake the feeling we have a new coach for 2017 due to Mullen leaving on his own accord.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2016, 10:41 AM
If next year is a losing season then if Mullen survives this offseason no way he survives next. 2018 would be with a new coach. That said, I can't shake the feeling we have a new coach for 2017 due to Mullen leaving on his own accord.

If this happens, IMO it means we have gotten to 6-6 or so, minimum 5-7. Wins over Kentucky, Samford, Arkansas and Ole Miss. Felker may have to coach the bowl game.

Yeah I know, Sexton, etc. etc. But nobody's hiring Mullen at 4-8.

DeviousDawg
10-19-2016, 10:42 AM

You can throw in Norman Price who is now on an NFL roster and Jamal Danley who would be starting for Oklahoma but has been battling injuries for the last two years.

What is even more concerning? All 5 of these guys(Hodges, Gennessey, Hawkins, Price and Danley) played high school ball in Mississippi, and none of them had a committable offer from us out of high school, and then we missed on them again out of JUCO, signing guys like Joquell Johnson, Joey Trapp and Dylan Holley instead.

Our offensive line problems stem from bad evaluations out of high school, bad recruiting, and bad coaching. It can't get worse than that. I'm afraid we are in a hole that we can't get out of for atleast 2 years, and that clock doesn't start until Hevesy is gone.

msstate7
10-19-2016, 10:42 AM
If this happens, IMO it means we have gotten to 6-6 or so, minimum 5-7. Wins over Kentucky, Samford, Arkansas and Ole Miss. Felker may have to coach the bowl game.

Yeah I know, Sexton, etc. etc. But nobody's hiring Mullen at 4-8.

Nebraska hired mike Riley coming off 5-7 at Oregon state. I don't think Mullen gets hired after 4-8/5-7, but who knows

mic
10-19-2016, 10:44 AM
The coach has a lot to do with this... Players don't like playing for him..

DeviousDawg
10-19-2016, 10:48 AM
The coach has a lot to do with this... Players don't like playing for him..

Anyone with one eye and one ear has known this for years. Stricklin was too much a bitch to tell Mullen that his buddy has to go.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2016, 11:04 AM
You can throw in Norman Price who is now on an NFL roster and Jamal Danley who would be starting for Oklahoma but has been battling injuries for the last two years.

What is even more concerning? All 5 of these guys(Hodges, Gennessey, Hawkins, Price and Danley) played high school ball in Mississippi, and none of them had a committable offer from us out of high school, and then we missed on them again out of JUCO, signing guys like Joquell Johnson, Joey Trapp and Dylan Holley instead.

Our offensive line problems stem from bad evaluations out of high school, bad recruiting, and bad coaching. It can't get worse than that. I'm afraid we are in a hole that we can't get out of for atleast 2 years, and that clock doesn't start until Hevesy is gone.

No question. Let's dive further though. Our best OL that Mullen has recruited, 2014 seniors, were Day, Beckwith, Clausell, and Robinson. Two 2 stars with no offers, one walk-on, and a 4 star bust. It's insane. Imagine if we had supplemented with ANY decently talented lineman, what could have happened in Tuscaloosa that year.

Really Clark?
10-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Agree with some of that but we didn't misevaluate them out of HS or everybody else did as well. Danley had ULM and Memphis as offers. I thought everybody complains that we only sign CUSA and Sun Belt OL? So which is it? Can't say we sign too lowly ranked OL and then use lowly ranked OL that got better in JUCO and say we (along with every other SEC school) misevaluated

Taog Redloh
10-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Agree with some of that but we didn't misevaluate them out of HS or everybody else did as well. Danley had ULM and Memphis as offers. I thought everybody complains that we only sign CUSA and Sun Belt OL? So which is it? Can't say we sign too lowly ranked OL and then use lowly ranked OL that got better in JUCO and say we (along with every other SEC school) misevaluated

My issue is that we simply did not recruit them out of JUCO when it's obvious we needed help. Mis-evaluation or not.

BankerDog
10-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Norman Price was committed to us up until NSD and then flipped to USM. He also ended up playing guard and splitting time. Avery was never coming here. He wanted to leave MS and everyone knew that. It came down to us and Oklahoma for Danley and guess what? He's playing G there too.

Really Clark?
10-19-2016, 11:21 AM
My issue is that we simply did not recruit them out of JUCO when it's obvious we needed help. Mis-evaluation or not.

And I wasn't addressing that at all. He said out of HS. And out of HS, these are the same types that people complain are low Sun Belt OL that we should not be offering and yet two years later in JUCO they developed. It's a crap shoot with a lot of these guys. I agree on some of the JUCO's, we had Price but tail messed that up. Texas got on Hodge early the fall season of his last year but before them GA Southern was his only offer.

maroonmania
10-19-2016, 11:25 AM

Exactly, I would think Mullen would need to get us AT LEAST to 7 wins in 2017 to still be here in 2018. My question is if he stays after a 3 or 4 win season this year will he go another year without a contract extension? I'm assuming so since he will not have earned one but that's getting a guy down to lead your program with a 2 year contract at that point.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Norman Price was committed to us up until NSD and then flipped to USM. He also ended up playing guard and splitting time. Avery was never coming here. He wanted to leave MS and everyone knew that. It came down to us and Oklahoma for Danley and guess what? He's playing G there too.

Well if they want to avoid the JUCOs then damnit they should recruit more high school linemen and we wouldn't be stuck with these huge holes. I mean they are signing 2-3 guys per year max. You can make excuses for every avenue but you have to succeed at something. And by all accounts it seems self-induced.

Irondawg
10-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Another harsh reality is good tackles are simply hard to find period. And then whoever we get still has to go against a number of potential high NFL draft picks on a weekly basis. I'm not necessarily excusing our recruiting, as we should have done more lately but there are very few tackles in JUCO that could be effective in the SEC.

Avery is much more exception that the rule.

Tbonewannabe
10-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Well if they want to avoid the JUCOs then damnit they should recruit more high school linemen and we wouldn't be stuck with these huge holes. I mean they are signing 2-3 guys per year max. You can make excuses for every avenue but you have to succeed at something. And by all accounts it seems self-induced.

We also don't have enough players on scholarship so you look at that and see we are not signing enough Oline.

maroonmania
10-19-2016, 12:03 PM
We also don't have enough players on scholarship so you look at that and see we are not signing enough Oline.

We are trying to sign more but the issue is that we can't find enough guys worth signing that are willing to play for Hevesy. We don't have this issue with any other position group. NOBODY can convince me that Lashley signs with Bama instead of us if we had a different OL coach. Doesn't help to sign more bodies just to have bodies if they can't play in the SEC. Heck, a lot of what we are signing shouldn't be playing in the SEC.

Tbonewannabe
10-19-2016, 12:08 PM
We are trying to sign more but the issue is that we can't find enough guys worth signing that are willing to play for Hevesy. We don't have this issue with any other position group. NOBODY can convince me that Lashley signs with Bama instead of us if we had a different OL coach. Doesn't help to sign more bodies just to have bodies if they can't play in the SEC. Heck, a lot of what we are signing shouldn't be playing in the SEC.

Hevesy gets credit for developing Day and Beckwith but what if those guys just had the extra drive to make themselves better. Those guys seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Even the guys who we get who have SEC offers seem to regress the longer they are here.

Cowboydawg
10-19-2016, 12:18 PM
I think coaching is the biggest issue with the OL. With the exception of the top 5 star OL, OL recruiting is a crapshoot. We've signed 4 star OL and nearly all of them have been busts.

The quickest way to "fix" our OL issues is to get rid of Hevesy and take a deep look into our strength and conditioning program which seems to have taken a giant step backwards.

maroonmania
10-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Hevesy gets credit for developing Day and Beckwith but what if those guys just had the extra drive to make themselves better. Those guys seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Even the guys who we get who have SEC offers seem to regress the longer they are here.

Yea, I used to think Hevesy was a pretty good OL coach who was a terrible recruiter. I no longer believe that. I now believe he is terrible at both.

maroonmania
10-19-2016, 12:20 PM
I think coaching is the biggest issue with the OL. With the exception of the top 5 star OL, OL recruiting is a crapshoot. We've signed 4 star OL and nearly all of them have been busts.

The quickest way to "fix" our OL issues is to get rid of Hevesy and take a deep look into our strength and conditioning program which seems to have taken a giant step backwards.

Agree. Scott Balis may actually be the biggest coaching loss Mullen has suffered.

msbulldog
10-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Exactly, I would think Mullen would need to get us AT LEAST to 7 wins in 2017 to still be here in 2018. My question is if he stays after a 3 or 4 win season this year will he go another year without a contract extension? I'm assuming so since he will not have earned one but that's getting a guy down to lead your program with a 2 year contract at that point.

Big problem with coaches getting to short hairs on their contract, recruits want to know that the coach that recruited them is going to be there.

mic
10-19-2016, 02:30 PM

Avery wasn't liked by Hev so in turn wasn't recruited hard.. Not saying what u said is false, but we never had a shot because we didn't try hard enough .. Not everyone knew that...

mic
10-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Agree. Scott Balis may actually be the biggest coaching loss Mullen has suffered.

Exactly ..

Cary Hudson's little bro
10-19-2016, 03:47 PM
How did we miss out on Scott Lashley? (I mean, I know how, but) He would be in the rotation right now...inexcusable.

Kent Flowers and Jake Thomas were 2013 class OT's...I think

Taog Redloh
10-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Scott Lashley isn't even an immediate problem IMO.......we messed up back in 2012 and 2013, which is affecting our team right now. And nothing has changed. We are still recruiting way too few OL.

That said, it is near inexcusable to lose Lashley, Knott and Davis. I mean, yeah Alabama is Alabama but it's not a coincidence we lose them in a year where the job-hopping rumors heated up. With all things humming, there is no doubt, that after our most successful run in recent memory, we should have closed on those 3. I can live with Brown, at least he stayed instate. Go look at South Carolina, they went 11-2 3 years in a row largely because they kept SC talent instate. You have to capitalize on success, but that's just a symptom of the lack of recruiting that started back years ago.

At end of day, I can even live with losing a big instate 5 star. But I can't live with just blatant ignoring of numbers. With a few more decent OL, we are 4-2 and probably competitive with Auburn. Sure it'll take the big talent to rise to 10-2 again but I'm just talking about averting the 3-9 disasters.

msstate7
10-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Scott Lashley isn't even an immediate problem IMO.......we messed up back in 2012 and 2013, which is affecting our team right now. And nothing has changed. We are still recruiting way too few OL.

That said, it is near inexcusable to lose Lashley, Knott and Davis. I mean, yeah Alabama is Alabama but it's not a coincidence we lose them in a year where the job-hopping rumors heated up. With all things humming, there is no doubt, that after our most successful run in recent memory, we should have closed on those 3. I can live with Brown, at least he stayed instate. Go look at South Carolina, they went 11-2 3 years in a row largely because they kept SC talent instate. You have to capitalize on success, but that's just a symptom of the lack of recruiting that started back years ago.

At end of day, I can even live with losing a big instate 5 star. But I can't live with just blatant ignoring of numbers.

The only one of lashley, knott, and Davis I hold against the staff is lashley. Davis committed for like 30 mins till he got home and his "agent" or whoever fixed that. We did a good job recruiting knott... kid just wanted to be at bama despite allegedly getting grey shirt

Taog Redloh
10-19-2016, 06:20 PM
The only one of lashley, knott, and Davis I hold against the staff is lashley. Davis committed for like 30 mins till he got home and his "agent" or whoever fixed that. We did a good job recruiting knott... kid just wanted to be at bama despite allegedly getting grey shirt

Honestly, sign Lashley and then 2 more JUCO OL and I'm probably happy.

archdog
10-19-2016, 06:25 PM

NWCC is closely tied to UM. Hell, I think you can earn a degree at NWCC from UM they have so many courses.

msstate7
10-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Honestly, sign Lashley and then 2 more JUCO OL and I'm probably happy.

Assuming there was were 2 olinemen worthy of a scholarship, I agree. Lashley really stung and still stings.

Sacrifice
10-19-2016, 07:27 PM

I agree, this unit is a complete unorganized mess. They looked lost sometimes on who to block and that's on Hevesy.

Todd4State
10-19-2016, 08:10 PM
I think it’s obviously more than just one thing with Hevesy. It seems to me like reading between the lines and following our recruiting like I do that Hevesy is looking for someone like an Anthony Munoz or a Bruce Matthews type of o-lineman but he also wants guys like that who will simply commit and be done with recruiting. That’s just not the way it works. So what ends up happening if I had to guess is he keeps waiting for these unicorns of o-linemen to pop up and then all of a sudden come January it’s like “Oh crap- we’ve only got two or three committed. Well, maybe it was just a thin year so let’s wait until next year”. But we’re still looking for these unicorns and we end up signing 2-3 offensive linemen again. And then 2-3 years later we’re having to scrounge the JUCO’s sometimes going after guys that we blew off just a few years ago. It’s just this vicious cycle.

Following recruiting one thing I’ve seen consistently is o-line recruits saying “It just seemed like (whomever we’re recruiting against) was just more interested. That just wreaks of laziness.

And then there is the personnel management side of things. How in the hell do we not have a JUCO center prospect lined up for next year? Do the coaches not see this? Do we not have a depth chart that some student assistant made that Dan can glance at and notice this?

So, we’re not maximizing what is given to us in the state whether it’s a 4-5 star guy like a Lashley or a 2-3 star guy like a Norman Price. But we’re compounding it with poor coaching. I honestly don’t know how much of the stuff that we are seeing is correctable and how much of it is a talent issue. It’s probably somewhere in the middle and I would imagine that our o-line should be and could be a lot better with better coaching.

The other thing is I think most o-lines need to be mean, nasty, and physical on the field. I haven’t seen that from anyone on our o-line since Day and Beckwith graduated- and Day was a guy that had to jump through a ton of hoops for Hevesy to take and Beckwith was a walk-on. What does that say? I think the whole team lacks that intensity and that comes from the top so I’m not sure if Dan is more to blame for that or the position coaches or some of both.

Todd4State
10-19-2016, 08:11 PM
NWCC is closely tied to UM. Hell, I think you can earn a degree at NWCC from UM they have so many courses.

Ole Miss, Junior College...what's the difference really?

dawgoneyall
10-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Looking at our roster, and looking at Jake Wimberly's videos (great insight there by the way), I think at this point it's too late. Yes, it's good that we have noticed this problem and have 2 JUCO OL commitments and are seeking a 3rd. But the more I think about it, those guys should have been signed last year, for the following reasons:

- Watching Rankin, it's pretty obvious that JUCO OL don't contribute immediately, at least that's not the percentage play
- Our current Junior class is small, while the Sophomore class is huge - these JUCOs will be adding to the Sophomore class
- They possibly could have helped us this year as well, if 1 of the 3 had maybe panned out

This points to a total mismanagement of our OL situation. We signed FAR too few in 2012 and 2013, and that trend has continued. I only see a maximum of 3 every year, we should be signing 5. And then the technique to go along with it? I don't know if it's Hevesy or what, but this is pretty terrible and to me, it points to another losing season next year.

Offensive line has always been a killer for MSU football, and it's no different now. I don't know why these coaches can't see this.

Yes too late. It will take 3-4 year of much improved recruiting to get to an SEC level.
Only get a JUCO who could contribute immediately.

RougeDawg
10-20-2016, 08:03 AM

Our offensive line problems stem from bad evaluations out of high school, bad recruiting, and bad coaching. It can't get worse than that. I'm afraid we are in a hole that we can't get out of for atleast 2 years, and that clock doesn't start until Hevesy and Yankee Mullen aregone.

How many times have we heard recruits say they were turned off by Hevesy and they didn't feel like our coaches wanted to be here. Maybe our coaches did want them but when the head man has a Yankee attitude and approach, most southern folk "perceive" this in different ways, being wanted is one of those perceptions. If Dan had a southern approach and demeanor, our recruiting would immediately take a jump. But he doesn't and cannot change that, so he will never be able to recruit at a high level here due to his inability to adapt to the culture and the way most southern people react to northern non hospitality.

Everyone wants to blame kids for going elsewhere, but how many of us would choose an arrogant prick over coaches who at least act like they genuinely want you to be there in a southern hospitality way? Why do you think Chris Jones wouldn't flip on Bucky or didn't stop talking to him all the way through school? He felt like Bucky genuinely cared about him. These are young impressionable kids who have barely experienced anything life has to offer. Until we get coaches who understand how to connect with these aged kids and the southern way of life, we will continue to whiff on top recruits. I honestly don't blame them for going somewhere else, having witnesses 8 years of Mullen's demeanor.

BB30
10-20-2016, 08:47 AM

No doubt, was talking to a guy that works in the football building and he said the weight program is not nearly as intense as it was when Balis was here. He said there is a night and day difference in the workouts.

maroonmania
10-20-2016, 12:38 PM
No doubt, was talking to a guy that works in the football building and he said the weight program is not nearly as intense as it was when Balis was here. He said there is a night and day difference in the workouts.

We now have kinder, gentler workouts.***

Guess that matches Mullen's changed demeanour over the years from intensity to near apathy.

Johnson85
10-20-2016, 12:51 PM

He won't get a meaningful extension but I would guess they will put something in place so he can at least tell recruits he is signed up for the next four years.

MarketingBully
10-20-2016, 01:13 PM
I was looking over some games in 2014 and would like to pose the question was the line in 2014 really that good? I watched the MSU vs UK game and most of the time Dak and Robinson were getting hit by DL behind the line of scrimmage only Robinson was able to bounce off the tacklers to get 6-7 yards. Same with Dak. Dak and Josh did a lot to mask just how shitty our OL have been. Hevesy definitely cost Mullen a lot that year including a possible SEC championship. Hevesy can't recruit worth a shit, teaches horrible technique, and no one likes him. He did recruit the golden triangle area and allowed the bears to get a foothold in Starkville. Sucks but all of that is true. If this year has told us anything, it's that at the very least Hevesy should be fired.

msstate7
10-20-2016, 01:20 PM
I was looking over some games in 2014 and would like to pose the question was the line in 2014 really that good? I watched the MSU vs UK game and most of the time Dak and Robinson were getting hit by DL behind the line of scrimmage only Robinson was able to bounce off the tacklers to get 6-7 yards. Same with Dak. Dak and Josh did a lot to mask just how shitty our OL have been. Hevesy definitely cost Mullen a lot that year including a possible SEC championship. Hevesy can't recruit worth a shit, teaches horrible technique, and no one likes him. He did recruit the golden triangle area and allowed the bears to get a foothold in Starkville. Sucks but all of that is true. If this year has told us anything, it's that at the very least Hevesy should be fired.
Kentucky had 2 dlinemen drafted off that team (Dupree -- 1st, z. Smith -- 4th)

maroonmania
10-20-2016, 03:40 PM

It was by no means great but it was by far the best OL we've had made up of guys that Mullen and Hevesy recruited. And that was really only because we had a line with mostly 5th year seniors that had been in the system forever. Heck our OTs now make Blaine Clausell look like a freakin' All-American.

Taog Redloh
10-20-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm with you. 2010 OL was all Croom recroots.