PDA

View Full Version : DeRunnya, Fred Brown & Fred Ross

Dawg61
10-19-2016, 02:29 AM
What's our record if these are our 3 starting WR's? 4-2 is my guess. Dan has had some bad turnover this year. Can't afford to lose starters early (especially at skill positions) when our entire recruiting strategy is to coach up 3-4* players at every position.

Dallas_Dawg
10-19-2016, 05:04 AM
Add Dak Prescott and I agree

MaxedOutMaroon
10-19-2016, 06:39 AM
Add McKinney on defense, I think we beat USA and BYU

msstate7
10-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Definitely 4-2.

Not only would they help our passing game, but we'd also have outside blocking. Our wr blocking has been terrible this year

Steakonastick
10-19-2016, 07:19 AM
add Gus Walley too even though his reason was medical.

Dawgology
10-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Honestly I think we would be 5-1 with them. Still a loss to Aub though. We got obliterated in that game.

BrunswickDawg
10-19-2016, 08:05 AM
Add McKinney on defense, I think we beat USA and BYU

But if BMac had redshirted in 2012, who could have replaced his 102 tackles? That was insane for a true Frosh.

thf24
10-19-2016, 08:29 AM
Has Donald Gray been bad enough to warrant a hypothetical replacement by Fred Brown? Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but it seems like he's been pretty good besides contributing a few drops. Definitely agree having DeRunnya back might have resulted in a few more wins.

maroonmania
10-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Yep, 4-2. They could have made enough difference in the non-conference losses to have been wins but we would still have the major OL issues that we have either way.

MaxedOutMaroon
10-19-2016, 08:48 AM
But if BMac had redshirted in 2012, who could have replaced his 102 tackles? That was insane for a true Frosh.
Sorry I meant beni brown

HoopsDawg
10-19-2016, 08:53 AM
Sorry I meant beni brown

Also Gabe Jackson and Eric Moulds.

Tbonewannabe
10-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Add Bear and Fred Brown, now subtract Hevesy = 4-2. I don't know how great our Oline could be but I don't think it could be worse with Ron Cooper coaching the Oline.

Dawgology
10-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Also Gabe Jackson and Eric Moulds.

Also Anthony Dixon, Dillon Day, and the Sherrod Brothers

Bothrops
10-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Wilson would have led in receptions this year, and Ross would have had more big plays recorded, thus far. There's no way we would have lost to S. Ala with Wilson and Ross out there.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Definitely 4-2.

Not only would they help our passing game, but we'd also have outside blocking. Our wr blocking has been terrible this year

This This This

msstate7
10-19-2016, 09:43 AM
You know with a competent kicker, we could be 4-2 also. We'd be a much better 4-2 with bear and Fred brown though

Political Hack
10-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Yep. Add Westerfield and we're 4-2, with a chance against Auburn. When we missed that FG at the beginning it was over.

Hate it for the WG and it's got to be gut wrenching for him, but we'd still be in the mix for a bowl with 2 more made kicks.

Really Clark?
10-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Yep. Add Westerfield and we're 4-2, with a chance against Auburn. When we missed that FG at the beginning it was over.

Hate it for the WG and it's got to be gut wrenching for him, but we'd still be in the mix for a bowl with 2 more made kicks.

Yep. And he was very good last year. 83.3%. I know some keep on about why we don't sign a good kicker but he was second in the league last year. Looks like he has the yips now though.

thf24
10-19-2016, 10:30 AM
I'm not huge on JUCO recruiting in the current era, but place kicker is one position I'd absolutely rely on juco for. We can complain about place kicker recruiting, but it's one position I can cut coaches a little slack on because it's the hardest to accurately evaluate besides maybe OL. You can find the top three high school kickers in the country, offer scholarships and go all in on each of them, but the fact remains that you won't see any of them kick a field goal off the ground in a real pressure situation until they're long signed and locked in. Hence why I think we should hit JUCO's harder for our place kickers; still a crap shoot, but at least you're bringing in guys who have kicked field goals off the ground on somewhat of a similar stage. Worked pretty well with Brauchle and DePasquale in Mullen's first few years; much better than those since anyway (with the exception of Graves last year).

Really Clark?
10-19-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm not huge on JUCO recruiting in the current era, but place kicker is one position I'd absolutely rely on juco for. We can complain about place kicker recruiting, but it's one position I can cut coaches a little slack on because it's the hardest to accurately evaluate besides maybe OL. You can find the top three high school kickers in the country, offer scholarships and go all in on each of them, but the fact remains that you won't see any of them kick a field goal off the ground in a real pressure situation until they're long signed and locked in. Hence why I think we should hit JUCO's harder for our place kickers; still a crap shoot, but at least you're bringing in guys who have kicked field goals off the ground on somewhat of a similar stage. Worked pretty well with Brauchle and DePasquale in Mullen's first few years; much better than those since anyway (with the exception of Graves last year).

We are also missing Sobiesk. He had a great 2014 as a Soph and would be a senior kicker this year

SDDawg
10-19-2016, 11:07 AM
No question on the 2 additional WRs being good for 2 wins. Doesn't mean we'd be having an amazing year, means we'd be a lock for 6 - 6 with potential to get to 7 or even 8.

As much as I hate to admit it, C34's post at the beginning of the season called this season perfectly. Limited talent, bad OL, QB transition and less at key skill positions than we've had set us up for what we're seeing. The USA game 2nd half collapse and the QB "controversy" were the only things he didn't foresee.

maroonmania
10-19-2016, 11:19 AM
We are also missing Sobiesk. He had a great 2014 as a Soph and would be a senior kicker this year

Let's just call a spade a spade. ALL special teams are a crap shoot under Mullen and they always will be. IF we do have a year with a decent FG kicker or punter then just thank your lucky stars because it is a fluke. Those areas will quickly go back to suckage at any point along with any other area of our special teams.

parabrave
10-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Has Donald Gray been bad enough to warrant a hypothetical replacement by Fred Brown? Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but it seems like he's been pretty good besides contributing a few drops. Definitely agree having DeRunnya back might have resulted in a few more wins.

DG has made a few clutch catches so far. Now a receiver whose last name begins with the letter M would def be replaced.

Political Hack
10-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Yep. And he was very good last year. 83.3%. I know some keep on about why we don't sign a good kicker but he was second in the league last year. Looks like he has the yips now though.

He's still kicking pretty well over all. But he knows which ones are big and he's missing those. He could easily settle down and be great. Just needs to flip that switch and go from being scared on the big ones to developing that killer instinct.

thf24
10-19-2016, 11:24 AM
DG has made a few clutch catches so far. Now a receiver whose last name begins with the letter M would def be replaced.

Most definitely, I was just thinking in terms of starting three.

Really Clark?
10-19-2016, 11:24 AM
He's still kicking pretty well over all. But he knows which ones are big and he's missing those. He could easily settle down and be great. Just needs to flip that switch and go from being scared on the big ones to developing that killer instinct.

I agree with that. He makes one pressure kick and he could be right back in the grove. And his misses where not big, just a little off

Really Clark?
10-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Let's just call a spade a spade. ALL special teams are a crap shoot under Mullen and they always will be. IF we do have a year with a decent FG kicker or punter then just thank your lucky stars because it is a fluke. Those areas will quickly go back to suckage at any point along with any other area of our special teams.

People say that but go back and look at the numbers and the majority of the seasons we have had an 80% + FG kicker. That's very good. Punting early on with Hutch and Swedenberg where avg or little below but Bell and Cooke have been good the last few years. Cooke's injury is really messing him up. He was like 2nd in the league before then