PDA

View Full Version : Good film breakdown about why we suck

Big4Dawg
10-18-2016, 10:14 AM
https://twitter.com/jakewim?lang=en

Has about 15 short videos of different plays and shows just how bad our players are (esp OL).

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Haha...depressing but pretty cool. They really have to give Mullen an ultimatum about firing Hevesy.

KentuckyDawg13
10-18-2016, 10:32 AM
nm

dawg27
10-18-2016, 10:38 AM
Haha...depressing but pretty cool. They really have to give Mullen an ultimatum about firing Hevesy.

True he needs to be gone! But I would like to see Dan go after some o line that has sec offers or heck even power 5 offers. We have a sunbelt o trying to play big boy football.

Really Clark?
10-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Very good breakdowns. Also interesting how many of these plays he sees as good play calls just poor execution. I really think we get so negative about play calling that we can't see the forest for the trees. And when it's usually just one guy missing his assignment or just doesn't execute average physical effort

starkvegasdawg
10-18-2016, 11:06 AM
How does Mullen not see this? He does look at film I would hope. Is he really willing to allow this level of incompetence to protect Hevesy?

thf24
10-18-2016, 11:16 AM
We talk about our "Sunbelt" OL, and granted this is BYU and not an SEC team. But in all of these it doesn't look like athleticism is the problem; more like awareness and coaching issues. We just look lost. Hev got a pass in years past despite being a recruiting liability because our OL at least appeared decently coached, but for whatever reason that's gone out the window too. Mullen should get another year if he wants it, but it has to come with the caveat that someone else coaches OL. Put Hev behind a desk if he can't fire his friend, but something's got to change or this will continue to get worse.

dawgday166
10-18-2016, 11:18 AM
On the OL pad level & leverage are the issues. They're standing straight up and the DLmen are getting leverage on them and blowing them up. Once the DLmen get into their chest, it's over. I don't understand how college OLmen are standing up so straight at the snap. These are simple, simple techniques to teach IMO. Surely Hev can teach them better than this.

This is exactly why I've thought the coaching is poor, regardless of what the record is. This has nothing to do with talent. Nothing.

maroonmania
10-18-2016, 11:20 AM

Has about 15 short videos of different plays and shows just how bad our players are (esp OL).

As I mentioned in a different thread, our problems stem WAY more from poor OL play than it does lack of QB development. Yes, Dak was exceptional and covered over a lot of our OL deficiencies but if our OL was competent we could still be successful just with a decent QB.

gtowndawg
10-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Bottom line: We're just a mess. Hevesy has absolutely killed us and since Dan runs off every defensive coach we get we're clueless now on defense. Why people want this for another year is beyond me.

RezDog7
10-18-2016, 11:27 AM

Great breakdown but absolutely disgusting to watch. It really looks like every player is scared to get hit except for the one that gets criticized the most because he gets the ball on every play.

Mjoelner34
10-18-2016, 11:32 AM
At least we're picking up our 2018 OL recruiting.* We've offered exactly 1 nationally ranked OT.

Meanwhile, the school about to get violated by the NCAA has offered:

Ever heard the old saying "A closed mouth never gets fed"?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-18-2016, 11:37 AM
At least we're picking up our 2018 OL recruiting.* We've offered exactly 1 nationally ranked OT.

Meanwhile, the school about to get violated by the NCAA has offered:

Ever heard the old saying "A closed mouth never gets fed"?

I know we've offered Sewell & Brown off of OM list.

dawg27
10-18-2016, 11:46 AM
On the OL pad level & leverage are the issues. They're standing straight up and the DLmen are getting leverage on them and blowing them up. Once the DLmen get into their chest, it's over. I don't understand how college OLmen are standing up so straight at the snap. These are my simple, simple techniques to teach IMO. Surely Hev can teach them better than this.

This is exactly why I've thought the coaching is poor, regardless of what the record is. This has nothing to do with talent. Nothing.

U right coaching is horrible I agree I am with u on that,but u can't tell me that talent is not part of our problems

Mjoelner34
10-18-2016, 11:48 AM

Scout doesn't show them but 24/7 does. 24/7 also shows Jake Thomas as still being on the team and Tommy Champion as a high school player though.

Dawgtini
10-18-2016, 11:49 AM

SHHH....you will kill their rage buzz.

EdDawg
10-18-2016, 11:55 AM
The guy does a good job of breaking down the film, but why does he keep making a comment about the play calling? Sure that has been a common talking point in the past, but I haven't heard many people talk about the play calling this year as compared to years past.

I think everyone knows that the line is a direct indication of not only lack of talent, but Hevesy being a lazy coach. No one can look at those plays and actually say Hevesy is putting effort into coaching. Even teams with limited talent on the Oline have units that look better than ours, because they are taught how to use leverage and proper technique.

msstate7
10-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Really... I bet some of these guys' dogs have internal bleeding and wives' jealous of their b*tching skills

thf24
10-18-2016, 12:02 PM
The guy does a good job of breaking down the film, but why does he keep making a comment about the play calling? Sure that has been a common talking point in the past, but I haven't heard many people talk about the play calling this year as compared to years past.

The more casual type of fans who don't know the game quite as well and don't read boards like this complain constantly about it. A co-worker of mine bitches about Mullen's incompetent play calling anytime a play doesn't gain at least five yards, no matter what the play, cause of failure, or the situation. It's the same type of fans who think Damien should be starting at QB.

Mjoelner34
10-18-2016, 12:07 PM

My bad. Didn't mean to bitch. I think we're doing just dandy with our 2 and 3 star diamonds in the rough on the OL. And, forgive me for posting what was listed on a recruiting website.

Sacrifice
10-18-2016, 12:45 PM
Man that's hard to watch, been going on all year

parabrave
10-18-2016, 12:53 PM
On the OL pad level & leverage are the issues. They're standing straight up and the DLmen are getting leverage on them and blowing them up. Once the DLmen get into their chest, it's over. I don't understand how college OLmen are standing up so straight at the snap. These are simple, simple techniques to teach IMO. Surely Hev can teach them better than this.

This . How many times have we seen our guys being blown up falling back on their heels? Seems like every play one of them is. You are right it is easy to fix. Lots of work on the blocking sled with a 2X6 poking out of the sled about shoulder level should do the trick.

dawgday166
10-18-2016, 01:09 PM
U right coaching is horrible I agree I am with u on that,but u can't tell me that talent is not part of our problems

Well. The pad level and leverage part are coaching. Now if you have one of O-lineman and one of Bama's D-lineman meet at the same pad level with same amount of leverage, yes the more physical/talented guy will win. Or maybe the more agile guy (Bama D-lineman) will slip or spin out of it easily. But those BYU D-lineman were doing nothing but getting into their chest and propelling them back into the backfield. I think our O-lineman are or should be as physically talented as the guys they faced last Friday night.

ETA: Our O-lineman lose the fight before it even starts by standing straight up.

preachermatt83
10-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Good grief our OL is awful. I am willing to give Dan my support for one more year but ONLY if Hevesy is fired. Is there anyone who still supports keeping Hevesy?

Political Hack
10-18-2016, 01:49 PM
How does Mullen not see this? He does look at film I would hope. Is he really willing to allow this level of incompetence to protect Hevesy?

He sees it. I promise. He just can't fix it.

Irondawg
10-18-2016, 01:50 PM
This is the stuff that drives coaches crazy. You watch all that and constantly think that if that 1 guys start making that play then you get ALOT better in a hurry. No team is going to execute at 100% but you want to at least watch the film and know your guys got beat on his assignment b/c the other guy is just better or made a really nice move on that play, not that your guys is as good or better and just got abused by a routine effort from the opponent.

If we just used those clips and fixed 20% of them we probably win by 10+

This team was probably never going to be Auburn, LSU, A&M, etc. but a lot of the losses we shouldn't have are on coaching, particularly on the OL

maroonmania
10-18-2016, 02:16 PM

Can't fix it or won't fix it? Apparently Mullen made a blood oath to Hevesy that he would always coach his offensive lines. There is a reason Hevesy got demoted on Urban Meyer's staff before Mullen brought him to MSU with him when he came here.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-18-2016, 02:45 PM
If you don't think it can at least get on track to be fixed in a year is there any point to keeping Mullen?

Todd4State
10-18-2016, 04:15 PM
If you don't think it can at least get on track to be fixed in a year is there any point to keeping Mullen?

I think that's the quandary a lot of our fans are in right now. Right now I think most of our fans are on the "let's give him one more year" train of thought at least online because they want to appear "rational" and that's what's internet cool with our fans. There seems to be this fear that Dan is going to end up like Cutcliffe and I guess they would rather suffer through another bad season or two as opposed to have Ole Miss fans throw that in our face. Because the funny thing is sometimes I've seen posters here and other boards say "I'm OK with giving him another year" but then they follow it up with "if he leaves I'm OK with that too."

My guess is deep down most people are just hoping Dan leaves on his own. What we are going through right now is exactly why I said Dan leaving last year would be the best thing that could have happened for us. And it sucks that Miami screwed Dan and ultimately us over.

Todd4State
10-18-2016, 04:17 PM
Can't fix it or won't fix it? Apparently Mullen made a blood oath to Hevesy that he would always coach his offensive lines. There is a reason Hevesy got demoted on Urban Meyer's staff before Mullen brought him to MSU with him when he came here.

If Dan does come back I will be shocked if Hevesy is coaching our o-line next year. I'll be pretty upset if whomever our AD is let's this slide AGAIN. I have a feeling our president won't let it slide again though.

RezDog7
10-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Should Mullen let Hev go now or would that really hurt O line recruiting***

TaleofTwoDogs
10-18-2016, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
"On the OL pad level & leverage are the issues. They're standing straight up and the DLmen are getting leverage on them and blowing them up. Once the DLmen get into their chest, it's over. I don't understand how college OLmen are standing up so straight at the snap. These are my simple, simple techniques to teach IMO. Surely Hev can teach them better than this.
This is exactly why I've thought the coaching is poor, regardless of what the record is. This has nothing to do with talent. Nothing."

Agree wuth Dawg27, this is a talent issue also. Being a SEC level OL requires more than just being a big body, You need both the physical and mental skills to perform at a high level for 4 quarters against some of the best D-linemen in the country. The mental toughness and dedication required to execute the physical side of the position has to be right. Watching the OL play, I don't see a Dillon Day type of personality that cares whether his QB gets destroyed in the backfield. Maybe I'm totally off-base here but I just don't see that aggressiveness with this group. They look lost.

Todd4State
10-18-2016, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
"On the OL pad level & leverage are the issues. They're standing straight up and the DLmen are getting leverage on them and blowing them up. Once the DLmen get into their chest, it's over. I don't understand how college OLmen are standing up so straight at the snap. These are my simple, simple techniques to teach IMO. Surely Hev can teach them better than this.
This is exactly why I've thought the coaching is poor, regardless of what the record is. This has nothing to do with talent. Nothing."

Agree wuth Dawg27, this is a talent issue also. Being a SEC level OL requires more than just being a big body, You need both the physical and mental skills to perform at a high level for 4 quarters against some of the best D-linemen in the country. The mental toughness and dedication required to execute the physical side of the position has to be right. Watching the OL play, I don't see a Dillon Day type of personality that cares whether his QB gets destroyed in the backfield. Maybe I'm totally off-base here but I just don't see that aggressiveness with this group. They look lost.

It sounds like you think conditioning is an issue as well. My guess is it's probably a combination of everything- talent secondary to failed recruiting, poor coaching, and poor S&C.

Maroonthirteen
10-18-2016, 07:49 PM
I agree that there is a talent problem as well. Their pad level isn't that bad. Yes, the DL does get under our guy on a few of those but you have to be strong enough and agile enough to recover and slow the DL better.

Also a few of those the DL is getting through the gap on quickness. Our OLineman just wasn't quick enough to cut the DL off and square him up.

Regardless, it falls back on coaches not recruiting better. If I am coaching and I know a guy isn't physically capable of executing what I want....I find someone that can execute. They have been in the SEC 7 seasons. They should be able to recognize an sec lineman at the HS level by now.

HoopsDawg
10-18-2016, 08:19 PM

Elaborate please. You can't just throw that out there and not explain.

HoopsDawg
10-18-2016, 08:27 PM
So brutal. And Calhoun is probably out again this week.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-19-2016, 09:02 AM
This is cool and all but anyone who watches the games see this already. It aint like he is uncovering some hidden secret that the coaches have overlooked. It is clear as day.

Really Clark?
10-19-2016, 09:35 AM
This is cool and all but anyone who watches the games see this already. It aint like he is uncovering some hidden secret that the coaches have overlooked. It is clear as day.

Have you read the game threads? Oh the majority sees a player getting blown up but missed assignments they don't. Take the pass play up the middle he showed. JT Gray didn't play his assignment but I guarantee most would not have called him out. Seems like every pass play in the middle are our safety's fault every time in game threads. How many times is it a constant bad play call by Mullen, bad play call, bad play call....some pretty simple calls are losing ground because of missed assignments that if one guy does their job it is a positive play.

msstate7
10-19-2016, 10:40 AM
So brutal. And Calhoun is probably out again this week.

May not be a bad thing... we stink anyway, so getting story some reps may not be a bad thing

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Are you saying the coaches aren't seeing this?

StatesboroBlues
10-19-2016, 04:10 PM
May not be a bad thing... we stink anyway, so getting story some reps may not be a bad thing

Oh, it can be a bad thing when we are actually playing someone we should be able to beat. Now, if it was for Desper I could understand that point of view...Calhoun could actually play for a few other SEC teams. Having said that...yes, we are bad.

msstate7
10-19-2016, 04:36 PM
Oh, it can be a bad thing when we are actually playing someone we should be able to beat. Now, if it was for Desper I could understand that point of view...Calhoun could actually play for a few other SEC teams. Having said that...yes, we are bad.

Maybe story plays well after a full week with 1st team reps and forces his way into desper's spot when Calhoun returns

StatesboroBlues
10-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Maybe story plays well after a full week with 1st team reps and forces his way into desper's spot when Calhoun returns

Good point. Having said that...let us say Story plays very good, do you actually believe he would take over for Desper? I wish I did.

msstate7
10-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Good point. Having said that...let us say Story plays very good, do you actually believe he would take over for Desper? I wish I did.

Not a chance he takes over as starter, but I could see story playing more. Either way though, the season is pretty much shot so story getting PT is probably a good thing regardless of how well he plays. Hopefully he plays well though