PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Clower........

anubus
10-17-2016, 09:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7hp0JU7HsY great story about playing for State.

msbulldog
10-18-2016, 05:41 AM
Dog Owen was a legendary coach at Starkville High School, he was my brothers wife's uncle. He passed recently.

Ranchdawg
10-18-2016, 06:48 AM
I've heard the audio and video of this story many times. Still makes me chuckle. My daddy was fraternity brothers with Jerry. You gotta remember they were all veterans coming home from WWII. My daddy's story on Jerry!

My daddy was president of the fraternity and it was time for the annual Christmas Song festival. My daddy gathered all the fraternity brothers to practice singing Christmas songs for the festival. The first song they attempted was something really simple like Jingle Bells. They butchered the song. It quickly became apparent that no one in the group could sing worth a flip. Jerry said let him take over and he guaranteed they would win. My dad gladly handed it over to Jerry.

Jerry asked the members at the practice to hum a very simple tune. Jerry after several attempts got the members to hum a tune in a somewhat in tune fashion. Jerry declared the group ready, ended practice. It became time for the festival, my dad became increasingly worried they would be embarrassed and laughed off the stage.

The night of the festival after several other fraternities sang and sounded like true choirs my dad really was felling really sick. Jerry gathered the members on stage and got them to hum the tune that they had practiced. Jerry then turned to the audience and proceeded to tell one of his funny Christmas stories. Jerry bought tears to the audience with laughter. They won first place!

True story!

Spiderman
10-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Dog Owen was a legendary coach at Starkville High School, he was my brothers wife's uncle. He passed recently.

Hate to hear that about Dog. He was legendary, and had better stories than Clower even did

BrunswickDawg
10-18-2016, 08:04 AM
In the early 1990s, when the big $ rigs parked in the median in the middle of Malfunction Junction, on occasion Jerry would show up on Friday night before a game and stand on the step of one of those RV's and hold court for about 30-40 minutes. I always heard that his rig was parked in the prime spot at the end of the median - but who knows for sure. One of the highlights of my time at MSU was getting to see Jerry do that.

louisvilledawg
10-18-2016, 08:06 AM
I grew up listening to Jerry Clower on CDs with my dad. He was an unbelievable story teller. I was fraternity brothers with one of his grandsons. Glad to see that people around here still enjoy good, clean humor.

starkvegasdawg
10-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief.

louisvilledawg
10-18-2016, 08:20 AM

one of my favorite stories. He painted such an awesome picture with every one of them.

another couple of my favorites were:

when marcel stopped the banana train to ask if they wanted possum

the coon hunting monkey

a new bull

Coursesuper
10-18-2016, 08:20 AM
Hate to hear that about Dog. He was legendary, and had better stories than Clower even did

I played for Coach Owens, he was a prince of a human being. And funny.

BrunswickDawg
10-18-2016, 09:12 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to starkvegasdawg34 again.

I seen it dawg
10-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Clower spoke at my Juco graduation. Funny as hell

msbulldog
10-18-2016, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I was fortunate 1 Christmas to be at my brothers house when the visited. I just sat there amazed at the history of MSU football being told to me by someone who lived it and he talked about Jerry Clower.

msbulldog
10-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Heard the one about Daddy Ledbetter getting 13 dinner forks stuck in the back of his hand?

gtowndawg
10-18-2016, 01:06 PM
My Dad worked on a church staff and they brought in Clower twice to speak. He was awesome in person. Just like you would imagine, funny and nice and being a 8 year old it was my first time being around someone that actually played football at The Mississippi State University so I was extra mesmerized. A great man for sure.

Best story: The burning building

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUrdMzbtUg

BulldogBear
10-18-2016, 01:08 PM
one of my favorite stories. He painted such an awesome picture with every one of them.

another couple of my favorites were:

when marcel stopped the banana train to ask if they wanted possum

the coon hunting monkey

a new bull

I think these three...plus the John/Lynx story, Clemson story, and "rich hotel" stories are my favorites.

BulldogBear
10-18-2016, 01:09 PM
My Dad worked on a church staff and they brought in Clower twice to speak. He was awesome in person. Just like you would imagine, funny and nice and being a 8 year old it was my first time being around someone that actually played football at The Mississippi State University so I was extra mesmerized. A great man for sure.

Best story: The burning building

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUrdMzbtUg

I can't play this at work right now. Is this the one where the Ledbetters' vehicle drives up in the fire 'cause they got no brakes?

gtowndawg
10-18-2016, 01:11 PM
I can't play this at work right now. Is this the one where the Ledbetters' vehicle drives up in the fire 'cause they got no brakes?

Yep, that's the one. "They put the fire slap out!"

Reunion Dog
10-18-2016, 01:23 PM
He always went fishing with me and my dad. We would go set trot lines on the Tombiggbee River, Noxubee Refuge, and the Big Black right outside of Durant.

He was fishing on Grenada Lake one day and fell asleep.... he woke up with a moccasin sliding down his leg in a little john boat. When it got to the middle row on the boat, Dog picked up a paddle to kill it. He missed and the snake started coming at him and he yelled at my dad to get the hell over there and pick him up.

By the time we got there... he had jumped out of the boat. He was a large man... as big as Jerry. He never lived that one down...

Dog Owens was a great man!

shoeless joe
10-18-2016, 01:40 PM

This a reference to Jerry clower or our football program?

Spiderman
10-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I was fortunate 1 Christmas to be at my brothers house when the visited. I just sat there amazed at the history of MSU football being told to me by someone who lived it and he talked about Jerry Clower.

I got 3 Dog coaching stories that are classic but very long. Hilarious.

Plus that story Jerry told is actually based on a story that Coach Owen told that happened at practice at State.

I always wished Dog would have written a book of his football stories.

msbulldog
10-18-2016, 06:56 PM
I'll always miss Dog Owens and Jerry Clower, this country needs more men like that!

anubus
10-18-2016, 08:11 PM
I remember on one of Jackie's coaching shows Jerry called in to talk He was a great ambassador for State.

msujan
10-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Sad to hear that about Dog. He protected my daughter at SHS when one of the football players wouldn't leave her alone.

ElectroDawg
10-18-2016, 09:10 PM

One of my all time favorites

lamont
10-18-2016, 09:26 PM
I got to know one of his granddaughters...great family.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-18-2016, 10:43 PM
Always liked the "Fly'n Jenny" story...those were good times listening to all of those stories on 8 track with my grandpa.

Dupagedawg
10-19-2016, 08:54 AM
Jerry's brother, Sonny Clower, was the owner of the RV, but he parked in the RV lot beside the colosseum. He parked his rig next to my wife's grandfather's rig for many years. Jerry was a frequent visitor.

msstatelp1
10-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Could you imagine going fishing with Jerry Clower, Jerry Reed, and Bill Dance? Bet you couldn't quit laughing long enough to wet a hook.

drunkernhelldawg
10-19-2016, 05:15 PM

Not my favorite teacher but a memorable guy. Sorry to hear that. I never realized that he was in a Jerry Clower story. Wooooweeee.