PDA

View Full Version : Pretty encouraging piece by Joel Coleman...

CadaverDawg
10-17-2016, 04:33 PM
https://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/column-if-you-think-mullen-doesnt-care-youre-wrong/

Also go check out Boobie Dixon's tweets today. What do you guys say we just all try pulling in the same direction for 6 more games, and see how we feel after that? Fair?

I'll be doing that, and I hope you join me.

Cooterpoot
10-17-2016, 04:46 PM
It's only common sense. If the man didn't want to coach at State, he could've taken another job already. And if he wants out now, he's not going to tank it and hurt his stock anymore than he has to. People using the "don't care" line are generally the ones just looking for an excuse to make a change for the sake of change itself.

FISHDAWG
10-17-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm in ... and Cooter's post is dead on

bulldawg28
10-17-2016, 04:57 PM
Good write up. I'm predicting an upset of Arkansas or A&M.

starkvegasdawg
10-17-2016, 04:58 PM
It's only common sense. If the man didn't want to coach at State, he could've taken another job already.

Not necessarily. Consensus is he was gone last year to Miami until Richt fell in their lap. Very obvious he's shopped himself every offseason the last few years. Not saying he hates coaching here, but I won't be convinced he'd leave depending on the situation.

RocketDawg
10-17-2016, 04:59 PM
I've never left. Sure, he's due some criticism but not to the level we've seen. And I don't think the "chicken little" attitude is the consensus of the fanbase.

SDDawg
10-17-2016, 05:08 PM
https://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/column-if-you-think-mullen-doesnt-care-youre-wrong/

Also go check out Boobie Dixon's tweets today. What do you guys say we just all try pulling in the same direction for 6 more games, and see how we feel after that? Fair?

I'm in. All kidding aside, if the Dan from today's presser keeps coaching the kids and can find a way to get them to compete the rest of the way that's great. We have to find a way to win 2 more games though, 3 would be a miracle but I'd love to see it. I dare not even think about anything beyond that, just keep working, stay committed, and set a good example for our players that will learn and grow from this experience. Let's go.

shoeless joe
10-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Supporting the team and wanting us to win every game? I'm in.

Thinking that Dan is 100% committed to our long term success? Not in.

blacklistedbully
10-17-2016, 05:24 PM
The Dan from 2009 was a tremendous upgrade for us...and a great starting point for a guy getting his first HC opportunity.

But one of my big concerns is that he has not shown a willingness to adapt...to improve. And yes...the flirting with other schools has, IMO, killed our recruiting.

There is no way in hell the follow up to 2014 should be what is has been. I'm not talking about simple W/L, rather I'm talking about the way we play in wins and losses. We simply do not look like a well-coached team.

If I had a CDM like the one who came in here in 2009, and one that was able to recognize and work on his own weaknesses, flexible enough to adapt...if I had a CDM who would make it clear he is "all-in" for MSU, particularly every time his name is mentioned for another job...if I had a CDM who could realize Hev, at a minimum needs to go...if I could have that CDM finally turn control of the defense over to our DC and let him be aggressive, I'd be happy as hell to see Dan stay.

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Very good article.

ScoobaDawg
10-17-2016, 05:54 PM
It's only common sense. If the man didn't want to coach at State, he could've taken another job already. And if he wants out now, he's not going to tank it and hurt his stock anymore than he has to. People using the "don't care" line are generally the ones just looking for an excuse to make a change for the sake of change itself.

The problem is Mullen is stubborn and doesn't like to be questioned. Stuff isn't working with what we have now and he set himself up for failure by prior actions in recruiting, going all in..that he would be gone after last year.

Thats why I can't forgive him for this year and just jump right back in because he sat and had a 1 on 1 about Fitz with a reporter. Yes he is a good QB coach and Fitz might have more potential than we are short-sighted seeing right now. It doesn't matter when you only play a better player at RB when your starter is hurt. It doesn't matter when you have one of the worst offensive lines in the SEC. It doesn't matter when you Show no emotion anymore.

He won't say it for obvious reasons. But Mullen didn't think he would be here this year. And is stuck with this Mess. Is he failing on purpose this year? No.. but He is stuck in his ways and is going to ride it out until the season is over.

smootness
10-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Anyone who thinks Mullen quit caring or even just started caring less is, sorry to say, just not very bright.

They're the type who think if you're not succeeding as much and the coach isn't raging on the sideline, the only explanation is that he must not care.

Dolphus Raymond
10-17-2016, 06:00 PM
Oh, to hell with it - I'm "All In" until at least the end of the season. Hell, I know DM cares, but I hate losing just like the rest of us. I want to see improvement, a good to damn good recruiting class, and some new position coaches. He deserves another year.

tireddawg
10-17-2016, 06:43 PM
He was enthusiastic & excited because he was talking about Dak. He ain't got the same fire he had, I don't care what any article says. I'll still be pulling for my dawgs..

blacklistedbully
10-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Anyone who thinks Mullen quit caring or even just started caring less is, sorry to say, just not very bright.

They're the type who think if you're not succeeding as much and the coach isn't raging on the sideline, the only explanation is that he must not care.

Bright people can have 180 degree differences in opinion, Smoot. I tend to mostly like your posts...but you are way off on this one.

Maroons
10-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Bright people can have 180 degree differences in opinion, Smoot. I tend to mostly like your posts...but you are way off on this one.

No, he's spot on.

bulldawg28
10-17-2016, 07:33 PM
He was enthusiastic & excited because he was talking about Dak. He ain't got the same fire he had, I don't care what any article says. I'll still be pulling for my dawgs..

How would you know not being there where his excitement came from?

Commercecomet24
10-17-2016, 07:59 PM

I'm with ya, brother! Is sure as heck can't hurt and would be a breath of fresh air!

HailState

DownwardDawg
10-17-2016, 08:16 PM

Fair enough. I'm gonna refrain from saying anything negative. I just want to win. And not cheat doing it.

msugolf
10-17-2016, 08:17 PM
Sorry, I'm checked out on football for the year. And probably for the next couple of years since it'll be a while to cycle through the shittastic recruiting years we had.

But the main culprit is I just don't enjoy watching this team play. I'm tired of caring which leads to pissed off. And it started with last year's team. Too much finesse, read/react, poor tackling, personnel decisions, coaching changes, etc. All of it! So I'm out for the foreseeable future.

I'm devoting all my positive emotion towards basketball!

Political Hack
10-17-2016, 08:37 PM
That's what I'm going to do. That's all you can do.

Hopefully everything gets fixed when the season is over, but only time will tell. I hate it that this feeling is all too familiar.

tireddawg
10-17-2016, 08:39 PM
How would you know not being there where his excitement came from?

Because I've seen him talk about Dak, & that's how he gets.

I seen it dawg
10-17-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm always in supporting us. Always.

Mullen cares. Cares about himself, and maybe us, enough to try to win. But the damage is done from keeping the CCB intact.

lamont
10-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Elitedawgs spent 10K on football tickets and donation.
We all spend hours per day monitoring the board and contributing.
A Couple of Elitedawgs have had their real names dragged thru the mud over things for our University and our Rival
Elitedawgs makes other donations to various people for various reasons.

We have skin in the game.

We'll see where things go the 2nd half of the season and into December.

Commercecomet24
10-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Fair enough. I'm gonna refrain from saying anything negative. I just want to win. And not cheat doing it.

I second that!

Coackjek
10-17-2016, 09:02 PM
People using the "don't care" line are generally the ones just looking for an excuse to make a change for the sake of change itself.

Dang progressives!

msstate7
10-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Elitedawgs spent 10K on football tickets and donation.
We all spend hours per day monitoring the board and contributing.
A Couple of Elitedawgs have had their real names dragged thru the mud over things for our University and our Rival
Elitedawgs makes other donations to various people for various reasons.

We have skin in the game.

We'll see where things go the 2nd half of the season and into December.

And I certainly appreciate what you guys do with this site.

You threw out the $10,000 figure and it isn't insignificant, but it's 0.1% of what it will take to fire Mullen... our most successful coach ever. I just don't think it's good timing with Mullen coming off 19 wins the last 2 years, many much better jobs than us opening up, overall finances of it, and I just don't think Mullen is done... I believe in Mullen even if no one else here does

blacklistedbully
10-17-2016, 09:15 PM
No, he's spot on.

No, he's not. And you're doubling down on stupid if you really think those who don't agree with your opinion on Dan's degree of "care" are "just not very bright".

One side is probably more "right" than the other, but intelligent people can disagree. Intelligent people can hold either position. Stupid people think the other side must not be bright for holding a different opinion.

anubus
10-17-2016, 09:26 PM

I'm in .Friday's game showed me they're not quitting and neither should we.

War Machine Dawg
10-17-2016, 09:48 PM
No, he's not. And you're doubling down on stupid if you really think those who don't agree with your opinion on Dan's degree of "care" are "just not very bright".

One side is probably more "right" than the other, but intelligent people can disagree. Intelligent people can hold either position. Stupid people think the other side must not be bright for holding a different opinion.

Or they're liberals. Like smoot. They ask for differing opinions then are shocked and offended to fdiscover someone actually has a different opinion.

JohnnyQuid
10-17-2016, 09:57 PM

couldn't agree more

Apoplectic
10-17-2016, 10:01 PM
He's going to have to win me back. He's effed up everything since we were ranked #1. You're not worth $4mm if you can't manage a coaching staff, if you dont have the balls to play the best players because you've failed to coach them, if you don't put in relentless effort in recruiting, if you can't handle the strain of tough personnel decisions, and you act like an ass everytime there's a camera in ur face.

Johnson85
10-17-2016, 10:23 PM

Thinking mullen quit caring is crazy. Thinking he cares a little less is not. A minuscule portion of the population would be able to avoid caring less. He's been under a grind for 8 years (after doing the assistant coach grind). He has kids. He has millions of dollars. There's just not much margin for error and I don't think Dan is as driven as he was. Doesn't mean he can't figure out a way to be successful. But I do think it has contributed to the drop off.

lastmajordog
10-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Good stuff you?ve had today Cadaver......I?m in....

Corn Bread
10-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Not necessarily. Consensus is he was gone last year to Miami until Richt fell in their lap. Very obvious he's shopped himself every offseason the last few years. Not saying he hates coaching here, but I won't be convinced he'd leave depending on the situation.

Vegas, I got reprehended for saying he was shopping himself for several years.

BossDawg
10-17-2016, 11:16 PM

I have to agree. I have no doubt that he still has passion for the GAME, but that doesn't mean he isn't burned out where he's at. I think he even said a while back that usually a coach is only good for 7 to 10 years before needing to move on, or something like that.

Anyway, either he's just getting burned out at State or he's grieving from past mistakes that got him to this point where he's losing the fan base....either way he simply seems frustrated at least, like he's got other things on his mind, too. Whatever that is exactly, who knows, but some new blood needs to be infused somewhere.

BossDawg
10-17-2016, 11:24 PM
Thinking mullen quit caring is crazy. Thinking he cares a little less is not. A minuscule portion of the population would be able to avoid caring less. He's been under a grind for 8 years (after doing the assistant coach grind). He has kids. He has millions of dollars. There's just not much margin for error and I don't think Dan is as driven as he was. Doesn't mean he can't figure out a way to be successful. But I do think it has contributed to the drop off.

I think he needs to learn how to delegate responsibility a little more instead of putting so much on his shoulders, like getting a bona-fide OC or letting the DC do his job without interfering. I'm sure that's easier said than done though.

smootness
10-18-2016, 06:45 AM
Or they're liberals. Like smoot. They ask for differing opinions then are shocked and offended to fdiscover someone actually has a different opinion.

Hahaha what?!

Really Clark?
10-18-2016, 07:00 AM
I have to agree. I have no doubt that he still has passion for the GAME, but that doesn't mean he isn't burned out where he's at. I think he even said a while back that usually a coach is only good for 7 to 10 years before needing to move on, or something like that.

Anyway, either he's just getting burned out at State or he's grieving from past mistakes that got him to this point where he's losing the fan base....either way he simply seems frustrated at least, like he's got other things on his mind, too. Whatever that is exactly, who knows, but some new blood needs to be infused somewhere.

He said that when he first got our job but it was more about how today even if you do well at most places fans want a change by year 10. The fan support slowly erodes from the peak and that's when a coach is successful.

WSOPdawg
10-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Supporting the team and wanting us to win every game? I'm in.

Thinking that Dan is 100% committed to our long term success? Not in.

Agree, I'll ALWAYS support my Bulldogs. But if Dan felt the same, he would not have jeopardized (TANKED) his last few recruiting classes by job shopping (what kind of message does that send recruits anyways?) and hanging on to below-average coaches (Hev, Sallach, Knox).

For me to get back on the Mullen wagon, I need to see him bone up and say "Thanks, but no thanks. I've got one of the top 25 paying jobs in the country and I wanna build this program to long-term sustainability and competitiveness, and one day, we're gonna kick the shit out of Bama and LSU on a regular basis!!!"

Cooterpoot
10-18-2016, 09:00 AM
People act like good teams/coaches don't screw up or run into down times. Look at Michigan State. They've been in the top 5-10 the last few years and they're right there with us. The great and powerful top 5 job that's FL has struggled for years now. College football isn't what it was in the 80's. There's going to be more ups and downs with he combining of conferences and more power teams playing each other each week. We've never been at the top of the heap (outside of a couple weeks). So it's much easier and more common to have down periods of a year or two.
We're in the middle of it now.
Now, if Mullen doesn't want to make some changes, then I'm all for giving him some grief down the road. But right now, I'm just letting everything play out and the dust settle before I get down on Mullen too much. And if you talk to the players, you know the man cares. That's not even in question. Just because some people got their vag hurt like a scorned teenage girl over him looking at bigger jobs, they want to say he doesn't care.

smootness
10-18-2016, 09:25 AM

If Mullen is entirely program-focused, he cares greatly about the success of Mississippi State football.
If Mullen is entirely self-focused....he cares greatly about the success of Mississippi State football.

The idea that because we discovered Mullen is at least somewhat self-focused, with the Miami interview, we now know he isn't as bought into our program is illogical. In fact, if he did interview with Miami and did want that job, and they didn't hire him, then they told him he's not as good a candidate as Richt. If that's the case, there's only one response, assuming he wants to get out of Mississippi State, and that is to care even more about having success at Mississippi State. That is the logical progression, not that he suddenly doesn't care as much. That would lead to apathy, which would lead to fewer wins, which would lead to him never getting a better job.

Now, caring and putting effort into winning is not the same as having success. If he doesn't get us back to a successful place, he should obviously be gone. But the idea that he doesn't care as much as he did, at least partially due to the fact that he wants a 'better' job? That is illogical. I don't know why anyone would believe that.

maroonmania
10-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Dan deserves another season to correct things and will likely get one. That being said, developing a QB, which is most of what he talked about is NOT going to fix our worst problems. Recruiting OL and getting a different coach in to coach them would (but Dan won't do that). Finding WRs that don't constantly drop the ball would help. Keeping a DC for more than one year would help the defensive players understand their assignments without confusion or having to think about it (that probably won't happen either because no DC wants to work for Dan apparently after experiencing it). Having a more disciplined team that doesn't get stupid PF penalties would help. As stated, its great that Mullen is working QB development but that is a minor part of our problem at the moment. So much of our offense boils down to horrendous OL play. You can't get "explosive" plays in the running game when your OL rarely opens up a hole. You can't get "explosive" plays in the passing game when your QB doesn't have enough time to throw downfield without worrying about being hit and the other team scoring a TD on a scoop and score. EVERYTHING on offense starts with the OL and that is continually the weakest unit on the team. So Dan will likely get his year next year to fix things unless he voluntarily leaves but his marriage to John Hevesy and his inability to keep any continuity with the defensive staff won't allow things to get much better than a 6-7 win type program unless we find another Dak under a rock somewhere. Therefore, I will always support the Bulldogs but right now I have sort of emotionally divested myself of this team because its not worth the anguish.

Liverpooldawg
10-18-2016, 09:40 AM

No he isn't. I've never even seen a bad coach who didn't care about winning.

Liverpooldawg
10-18-2016, 09:42 AM
Kind of like you then?;)

Jarius
10-18-2016, 09:50 AM
If Mullen is entirely program-focused, he cares greatly about the success of Mississippi State football.
If Mullen is entirely self-focused....he cares greatly about the success of Mississippi State football.

The idea that because we discovered Mullen is at least somewhat self-focused, with the Miami interview, we now know he isn't as bought into our program is illogical. In fact, if he did interview with Miami and did want that job, and they didn't hire him, then they told him he's not as good a candidate as Richt. If that's the case, there's only one response, assuming he wants to get out of Mississippi State, and that is to care even more about having success at Mississippi State. That is the logical progression, not that he suddenly doesn't care as much. That would lead to apathy, which would lead to fewer wins, which would lead to him never getting a better job.

Now, caring and putting effort into winning is not the same as having success. If he doesn't get us back to a successful place, he should obviously be gone. But the idea that he doesn't care as much as he did, at least partially due to the fact that he wants a 'better' job? That is illogical. I don't know why anyone would believe that.

I don't think he "doesn't care" as much as he was depressed and deflated that he didn't get out this year and is burnt out where he is. He has coached hard on the sideline twice this year (USC game and BYU). That's what I can't put my finger on. Why is he coaching like a madman in certain games and looking like a totally different coach in other games? Our effort is obviously much higher in the games that he coaches like a maniac. I would like to see him coach that way for the remainder of his career at MSU, however long that is.

Jarius
10-18-2016, 09:59 AM
Dan deserves another season to correct things and will likely get one. That being said, developing a QB, which is most of what he talked about is NOT going to fix our worst problems. Recruiting OL and getting a different coach in to coach them would (but Dan won't do that). Finding WRs that don't constantly drop the ball would help. Keeping a DC for more than one year would help the defensive players understand their assignments without confusion or having to think about it (that probably won't happen either because no DC wants to work for Dan apparently after experiencing it). Having a more disciplined team that doesn't get stupid PF penalties would help. As stated, its great that Mullen is working QB development but that is a minor part of our problem at the moment. So much of our offense boils down to horrendous OL play. You can't get "explosive" plays in the running game when your OL rarely opens up a hole. You can't get "explosive" plays in the passing game when your QB doesn't have enough time to throw downfield without worrying about being hit and the other team scoring a TD on a scoop and score. EVERYTHING on offense starts with the OL and that is continually the weakest unit on the team. So Dan will likely get his year next year to fix things unless he voluntarily leaves but his marriage to John Hevesy and his inability to keep any continuity with the defensive staff won't allow things to get much better than a 6-7 win type program unless we find another Dak under a rock somewhere. Therefore, I will always support the Bulldogs but right now I have sort of emotionally divested myself of this team because its not worth the anguish.

Why do people keep saying Mullen "deserves" another year? If we keep him it should be because we feel like that's what is best for MSU, not because we feel like he "deserves" anything. He got paid a whole bunch of money for the things he has done and will get paid a whole bunch of money if he is told to leave. If you think him staying is what is best for our program, that is fine. He doesn't deserve anything based on past accomplishments though.

I seen it dawg
10-18-2016, 10:08 AM
He's going to have to win me back. He's effed up everything since we were ranked #1. You're not worth $4mm if you can't manage a coaching staff, if you dont have the balls to play the best players because you've failed to coach them, if you don't put in relentless effort in recruiting, if you can't handle the strain of tough personnel decisions, and you act like an ass everytime there's a camera in ur face.

Now that is how you summarize it. Strong work.

I seen it dawg
10-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Why do people keep saying Mullen "deserves" another year? If we keep him it should be because we feel like that's what is best for MSU, not because we feel like he "deserves" anything. He got paid a whole bunch of money for the things he has done and will get paid a whole bunch of money if he is told to leave. If you think him staying is what is best for our program, that is fine. He doesn't deserve anything based on past accomplishments though.

Another winner.

smootness
10-18-2016, 10:16 AM

I think what people who say that mean is, he has proven enough to make it in our best interest to give him at least another year to correct things. Bringing in another coach would mean starting over in a lot of ways. We need to allow Mullen a reasonable (however you define that) amount of time to correct things before hitting the 'abort' switch and starting over.

Jarius
10-18-2016, 10:24 AM
I think what people who say that mean is, he has proven enough to make it in our best interest to give him at least another year to correct things. Bringing in another coach would mean starting over in a lot of ways. We need to allow Mullen a reasonable (however you define that) amount of time to correct things before hitting the 'abort' switch and starting over.

I'm ok with that thought process. At the end of the year I many disagree, but I can at least see that point of view.

blacklistedbully
10-18-2016, 10:36 AM
No he isn't. I've never even seen a bad coach who didn't care about winning.

Seeing your post makes me feel even better about my position. Any opinion 180 degrees from yours is usually correct.

Of course the really stupid thing you said this time is the part about, "not caring about winning". I don't think anybody has said that. What some have said is that he doesn't appear to care enough about MSU to do all it takes to maximize his success here. What some have said is that he'd mentally checked out of Starkville, at least in part.

One can still "care about winning", yet not do all the things...make all the sacrifices necessary to be a consistent winner.

maroonmania
10-18-2016, 11:17 AM

I only say it because ON THE SURFACE, a guy that has led us to 6 straight bowl seasons should probably be allowed one truly down year. Now, that said, if there are underlying issues going on (many that have been rumored and discussed on this board) that show he is not the guy to get things turned around then no, he shouldn't be retained just for the sake of public perception. However, the only person that can really make a call like that is Dr. Keenum and other folks within the administration that deal with Mullen routinely. Difficult for us as average joe blow fans to definitely say what the best decision is on whether to keep Mullen around or not. But, in the end, it won't be joe blow fans like us making the decision anyway. The only real decision I can make is whether to keep buying my season tickets if Mullen is still around and I don't think he is going to do the things necessary to get us back on the winning track.