PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go to Baseball scrimmages...

Backwoodsdawg
10-17-2016, 10:59 AM
I wasn't able to make it so was hoping someone had a report. I saw some stuff on their site and Gene's but did anyone see it on here that might could shed some light on the new group? Standouts, new pitchers, old pitchers stepping up, hitters, etc....? Thanks yall I will try to make it this weekend and give you a report if I do.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Good thread, I'd like to know as well

louisvilledawg
10-17-2016, 11:04 AM
I read that we have another great group of pitchers that throw in the low to mid 90's, that Jake Mangum can throw 90 mph from the left side if we need him, and that Harrison bragg is going to be a manchild. Apparently he's 6'4" 230 with a cannon for an arm and ++ power

msstate7
10-17-2016, 11:07 AM
Only things I've heard is Cole G hit a grand slam to start his fall, Stovall had a great day yesterday or Saturday, and of course, magnum started his fall with a hit.

Coldsleeve Jr.
10-17-2016, 11:25 AM
I read that we have another great group of pitchers that throw in the low to mid 90's, that Jake Mangum can throw 90 mph from the left side if we need him, and that Harrison bragg is going to be a manchild. Apparently he's 6'4" 230 with a cannon for an arm and ++ power

I saw something on twitter where Bragg clocked 112 mph exit velocity on a base hit the other day. His swing looks smooth and powerful.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Here's my way too early projected starters:

3B: Bragg (incredible arm and swing)
SS: Grid (looks good defensively)
2B: Stovall (swung a great bat this weekend)
1B: Gordon (Vansau is going to push him and may be the DH at the least)
C: Skelton (Marerro has got to get the bat going though it is a very small sample size)
LF: Mangum
C: Blaylock-Kid can fly
RF: Rooker
DH: Vansau

Surprise P was Denver McQuary. He had a good weekend. I saw him in HS and I really like his potential. Thought he would redshirt, but I'm not so sure. Obviously, Ashcraft's velocity really stood out. Hit 96 on the gun, dayum.

Backwoodsdawg
10-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Dang that's some serious velo!!! Only problem is I read that it was the only ball that left his bat ALL weekend too! Got some work to do to be a sec hitter I'm afraid but some dude from D1 baseball said he passed the looks test!

msstate7
10-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Here's my way too early projected starters:

3B: Bragg (incredible arm and swing)
SS: Grid (looks good defensively)
2B: Stovall (swung a great bat this weekend)
1B: Gordon (Vansau is going to push him and may be the DH at the least)
C: Skelton (Marerro has got to get the bat going though it is a very small sample size)
LF: Mangum
C: Blaylock-Kid can fly
RF: Rooker
DH: Vansau

Surprise P was Denver McQuary. He had a good weekend. I saw him in HS and I really like his potential. Thought he would redshirt, but I'm not so sure. Obviously, Ashcraft's velocity really stood out. Hit 96 on the gun, dayum.

Gridley added range at SS?

HoopsDawg
10-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Gridley added range at SS?

He's the same. I'm sure Alexander will continue to push him.

msstate7
10-17-2016, 11:58 AM
He's the same. I'm sure Alexander will continue to push him.

It really sucks that Alexander, Stovall, and gridley all bat right handed. It would be nice to play matchups with them. Alexander still strictly rh?

Harrydawg
10-17-2016, 12:00 PM
A name to keep in mind. Freshman Dustin Skelton from Mag Heights.

Riley Self and Dustin are going to be stars. Dustin may be the best hitter to
come out of MS HS baseball since Mangum....can play anywhere on the infield

HoopsDawg
10-17-2016, 12:03 PM
It really sucks that Alexander, Stovall, and gridley all bat right handed. It would be nice to play matchups with them. Alexander still strictly rh?

Alexander is a switch hitter.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2016, 12:04 PM
A name to keep in mind. Freshman Dustin Skelton from Mag Heights.

Riley Self and Dustin are going to be stars. Dustin may be the best hitter to
come out of MS HS baseball since Mangum....can play anywhere on the infield

I mentioned him above. He great this past weekend. He may end up playing some catcher. Of course Stovall can catch too.

msstate7
10-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Alexander is a switch hitter.

Why did they cut out his switching last year? Injury?

Homedawg
10-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Stovall is going to be in the lineup somewhere.

Homedawg
10-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Our defense is aided a ton of Alexander is the ss everyday. He just needs to be a competent hitter, not a great one to be in the lineup

Backwoodsdawg
10-17-2016, 12:47 PM

Yeah 7 I believe that's what I remember seeing somewhere.

msstate7
10-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Stovall is going to be in the lineup somewhere.

May be a different position every day. His versatility makes him a huge asset

Homedawg
10-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Also think Poole has a shot to help us in the of. But bodies aren't a problem out there. This team isn't going to hit for a bunch of power but it won't be 2015 powerless either

Homedawg
10-17-2016, 12:50 PM
May be a different position every day. His versatility makes him a huge asset

I think he'll start at third w gridley at 2b and Alexander at ss. But I agree he can spot catch, dh or play second too so versatility clearly helps him. And us.

preachermatt83
10-17-2016, 02:11 PM

I hope so. He sure didn't show much this Summer

Todd4State
10-18-2016, 01:33 AM
My opinion:

The staff is up in the air but the good news is we at least have a defined ace in Pilkington. I think Keegan James probably has the best chance to land a SEC weekend starting spot after Pilkington. He was named a top prospect in his summer league plus he has a little bit of SEC starting experience last year and I think that will factor into Cohen/Henderson?s decision this spring. The third spot and midweek are very much up for grabs and probably will be going into the season. Peyton Plumlee had a good summer, Hayden Marze was a guy that was a good prospect coming out of high school that had to have Tommy John and go the JUCO route- but if he pitches like he did this weekend he could definitely steal a job which would be absolutely huge for us. Ryan Cyr has a chance to be a starter as well- but he hasn?t gotten a chance to start in a scrimmage yet which while that means very little at this point is also something to consider. Graham Ashcraft throws hard- but he has to refine his command. I think we use him like we used Ethan Small last year- if we need someone to try to strike someone out. Kale Breaux is going to compete for a weekend spot as well. His numbers weren?t as good as Cyr?s but we also used him in much higher leverage situations than we used Cyr.

Some of those guys will be used out of the bullpen. We also have Blake Smith, Ryan Rigby, and Jacob Billingsley who are veteran guys that we can use who had some pretty good success last year especially in the second half of the year. Add in the guys that don?t get rotation spots and we should be really solid. We have to find a closer- and I think that could be Trey Jolley. He?s a guy that also has struggled with injuries throughout JUCO but he?s healthy now and he could surprise scouts and our fans. Jacob Barton could figure in their too- he had a good summer and got the save against a semi-pro team made up of ex-MLB players in Wichita, KS but he struggled when he pitched in the scrimmage. Long way to go with him though and everyone else. It looked like Myles Gentry pitched well and that could give the bullpen a boost and that is good to see given his injuries. Denver McQuary could definitely factor in as a potential closer as well. I?ve always been a fan of his since he was in high school but he surprised me with how good he has looked so far. We have arms but we just have to figure out where they all go.

Marrero threw out several guys behind the plate this weekend. Hopefully the bat comes along with him. It sounds like Dustin Skelton is going to push him for playing time and If Skelton can be our number two catcher and split with Marrero it will soften the blow of losing Kruger some. It?s good to see Josh Lovelady back as well.

I think Cole Gordon eventually wins the first base job. With Stovall, LA, and Gridley we have a glut of middle infielders and I?m pretty sure all three will play a lot. To me, I think Stovall is our best second baseman and LA is our best SS, but Gridley is a good player as well. I think Harrison Bragg eventually wins the third base job and it?s just a question of how quickly he can adjust to the SEC/D-I baseball.

I could see Rooker possibly putting himself in position to be a first round pick if he has a big year for us. He just needs to keep improving on defense and maybe add some stolen bases in addition to improving his hitting to have a chance. Even if he doesn?t, he?s probably a top five round pick. Tanner Poole kind of reminds me of Rooker in some ways- big guy who is raw but has power potential. But he is ahead of where Rooker was at the same point in terms of defense. The fact that he has moved a guy like Jake Mangum to LF some says a lot about what he can defensively. Mangum is awesome. There?s not much more that can be said that hasn?t been said about him. I just want to see if he can add some power to his game and I think we will give him more free reign on the basepaths. He?s already really good defensively and the fact that we have a guy that is a potential .400 hitter/.500 OBP guy is a huge advantage for us. And with our shortage of LH pitchers, I think we will use him some as a LOOGY kind of like we did with CT Bradford a couple of years ago. Cody Brown is a fifth year senior and he is a really good college player who has had some big hits for us over the years. He can play any of the OF spots, pinch hit, pinch run, or DH. We?ll see what Hunter Vansau can give us as well- he has started off a little slow but there?s a long way to go. He is like Kruger and Nate Lowe in that he started out at another D-I school in Dallas Baptist before going JUCO and then we picked him up after that. Don?t forget about Vince MacNamee either- he has a hand injury so that may put him behind for now. Brant Blaylock is going to see some action as well and he?s very athletic.

smootness
10-18-2016, 06:37 AM
Dustin may be the best hitter to
come out of MS HS baseball since Mangum

So the best hitter to come out of MS HS since last year?

Haha just messing with you.

preachermatt83
10-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Smith needs to be closing.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2016, 02:35 PM

Alexander hurt his wrist. He had surgery either at the end of the year or after the season. I think he came back and tried to play through it. I don't know but maybe hitting from the left side was worse than from the right.

diamond_dawg24
10-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Tanner Poole will be the starter in centerfield. No way they keep him off the field. Kid is a freak athlete that can hit with power, excellent defense and has crazy speed.

Backspin
10-19-2016, 04:18 PM
Tanner definitely has some tools...plus speed, arm, some power. He also had an impressive summer in the Valley League with .340 avg and 6 tanks. He will play and contribute. Needs to reduce his K ratio.