PDA

View Full Version : Rumor.. Dan is looking for a NFL job...

fishwater99
10-17-2016, 09:44 AM
I was told that is why he hired Sexton. I don't see him getting a HC job, maybe OC or QB coach, but that would be a paycut.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2016, 09:45 AM
might be a good fit for him. He won't have to recruit. And Dak has given him some good publicity.

Thick
10-17-2016, 09:48 AM
Yes, plus he's got plenty of money put back from MSU and living in Starkville. Pay cut won't hurt him.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Hevesy must be shaking in his boots if true. He'll be serving smoothies this time next year if Dan becomes an NFL assistant.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-17-2016, 10:07 AM
When does the NFL make hires? This would be a fitting end to the Mullen tenure with a big ole kiss my ass on the way out before signing day.

STATEBALLIN
10-17-2016, 10:11 AM
I was told that is why he hired Sexton. I don't see him getting a HC job, maybe OC or QB coach, but that would be a paycut.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago. Dak said his offense was the same as an NFL offense in an article(that's when light bulb came on). Some posters shrugged it off though. I think he's trying but who knows.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2016, 10:14 AM
When does the NFL make hires? This would be a fitting end to the Mullen tenure with a big ole kiss my ass on the way out before signing day.

As long as Key Thompson early enrolls along with the Dec grad jucos, it wouldn't hurt us too bad.

1bigdawg
10-17-2016, 10:18 AM
The NFL does not hire until after their season ends, which would put it right around signing day. Although, we couldhire a coach in time for signing day, we would be choosing from those that were left after everyone else had hired.

Having said that, hiring any coach is a crap shoot. Even coaches who are big winners as head coaches at smaller schools sometimes fall flat. Curly Hallman was great at USM, then fell flat at LSU. It is hard to believe that was possible. Hiring assistants is a complete crap shoot. Georgia alums maneuvered for years to get Smart..... On the other hand, Saban did well but not spectacular at the other MSU before LSU hired him.

In the end, it is being smart and getting lucky when you find someone great.

Cooterpoot
10-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Maybe he could go to AZ and coach with another coach MSU fans wanted gone.

drunkernhelldawg
10-17-2016, 10:29 AM
If we run him off, my bet is that he'd go for radio or tv instead of grinding out another coaching assignment. He's an okay coach, but I've never been convinced that coaching is in his blood the way it is for Sherril, and Saban. I'd put Croom in there too, but I don't want putting Croom's name next to the other two to deflect from the point I'm making.

gtowndawg
10-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Hevesy must be shaking in his boots if true. He'll be serving smoothies this time next year if Dan becomes an NFL assistant.

Dear Hev, a word of advice from Mr. Lynch:

https://i.imgur.com/IkAPMSah.jpg

CadaverDawg
10-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Maybe he could go to AZ and coach with another coach MSU fans wanted gone.

Who?

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2016, 10:44 AM
The only way I see Dan taking an NFL job is if we fire him. He gets his buyout money. He keeps some cash flow with a NFL job. He waits on Penn State or some other mid level BIG 10 job to open.

We aren't firing him though. (from what I hear)

Really Clark?
10-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Who?

Bruce Arians

DownwardDawg
10-17-2016, 10:45 AM
I've been saying all along he'll be a QB coach next year.

msstate7
10-17-2016, 10:48 AM
If Mullen does bolt to the NFL, I think I want to go to the NFL for our new HC (monken). I love his offense

CadaverDawg
10-17-2016, 10:59 AM
Bruce Arians

Oh yea, was thinking college

HereComesTheSpiral
10-17-2016, 11:43 AM
As long as Key Thompson early enrolls along with the Dec grad jucos, it wouldn't hurt us too bad.

But he wouldn't be signed and could still leave correct? This just has the makings of 2012 Arkansas written all over it if Dan bolted for the NFL and we would have lame duck Hevesy as interim coach because the defensive staff will all be gone the second the clock hits zero at the Egg Bowl.

Cooterpoot
10-17-2016, 11:44 AM
If Mullen does bolt to the NFL, I think I want to go to the NFL for our new HC (monken). I love his offense

Monken couldn't even run an offense at USM. He had to turn over the offense to Lindsey.

msstate7
10-17-2016, 11:47 AM
Monken couldn't even run an offense at USM. He had to turn over the offense to Lindsey.

Lindsey brought his own offense or ran monken's?

Could urban Meyer not even run his offense at Utah, Florida, and Ohio state? He let Mullen, Herman, and others run it

Sacrifice
10-17-2016, 11:50 AM
This would be a great move for Mullen, I have many complaints about him but his ability to coach QBs is not one of them

Bothrops
10-17-2016, 12:02 PM
If we lose Mullen, Keytaon Thompson won't be playing at State. Having said that, it still may be best that Mullen gets another job, and we move on. I dont think our fans can handle the losing that's gonna happen next year.

I really really like KT though, and if Mullen is here, we got a bad ass qb.

TrapGame
10-17-2016, 12:16 PM
If we lose Mullen, Keytaon Thompson won't be playing at State. Having said that, it still may be best that Mullen gets another job, and we move on. I dont think our fans can handle the losing that's gonna happen next year.

I really really like KT though, and if Mullen is here, we got a bad ass qb.

If by chance Mullen stays with some staff changes on offense our best chance is to start KT and let him play balls out. Easy plays and let him get the feel of the college game that first year.

drunkernhelldawg
10-17-2016, 12:27 PM
This would be a great move for Mullen, I have many complaints about him but his ability to coach QBs is not one of them

The jury is still out on Mullen coaching Fitz. However, he has done great with NFL quality quarterbacks.

Bothrops
10-17-2016, 12:33 PM
If by chance Mullen stays with some staff changes on offense our best chance is to start KT and let him play balls out. Easy plays and let him get the feel of the college game that first year.

I'd be ok with that, but I don't think Mullen would do it.

DownwardDawg
10-17-2016, 12:34 PM
The jury is still out on Mullen coaching Fitz. However, he has done great with NFL quality quarterbacks.

Mullen worked miracles with Chris Relf.

MetEdDawg
10-17-2016, 12:40 PM
I've been saying all along he'll be a QB coach next year.

This makes the most sense to me. Pay really doesn't matter if you can get into the NFL. Once you make it to the top level it's not so much about money, it's about your value. Mullen has put Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, and Dak Prescott in the NFL. He has value and there would definitely be teams in the NFL that would upgrade their staff if they had Mullen as their QB coach if we are being objective about how good he is at developing QBs.

drunkernhelldawg
10-17-2016, 12:50 PM
I don't see Mullen as an NFL coach although I agree that he has the coaching skills. I just don't think he's cut out for the kind of close knit families that NFL teams are. I think he could handle it as the Head Coach, but I don't think he'd enjoy the assistant role. That's why I'm saying that I think his next shift is into the media.

SDDawg
10-17-2016, 12:53 PM

I actually think Hevesy can do fine in non-Power 5 conferences and in FCS. It's all about recruiting for him, when he has the talent he can coach it. If you level the playing field, I think he'll do fine. He's not an SEC guy is all.

SDDawg
10-17-2016, 12:53 PM
Would love to see Dan in the NFL. I think they could use him in a place like Tampa or Houston as well.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Would love to see Dan in the NFL. I think they could use him in a place like Tampa or Houston as well.

I would take him in a heartbeat in Houston.

gtowndawg
10-17-2016, 01:01 PM
There's no way Dan's ego allows himself to go from SEC head coach to a QB coach in the NFL. Position coaches in the NFL are where other coaches go when they fail. I seem to recall we had a head coach that's now an obscure position coach in the NFL.

drunkernhelldawg
10-17-2016, 01:08 PM
There's no way Dan's ego allows himself to go from SEC head coach to a QB coach in the NFL. Position coaches in the NFL are where other coaches go when they fail. I seem to recall we had a head coach that's now an obscure position coach in the NFL.

He's very well respected in the NFL. But he's not like Mullen. He's more coach than politician. Actually, he's all coach and zero politician.

BHildreth3
10-17-2016, 01:10 PM
I don't care who the hell is at QB - they are going to look like crap until this offensive line DEBACLE is fixed.

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2016, 01:15 PM

Yeah. I don't get this thread at all. Because it won't happen unless we fire him. Unless he moons everyone while whistling Dixie at the egg bowl press conference, we aren't firing him.

Mjoelner34
10-17-2016, 01:15 PM
I don't care who the hell is at QB - they are going to look like crap until this offensive line DEBACLE is fixed.

^^^THIS^^^

RocketDawg
10-17-2016, 01:18 PM
might be a good fit for him. He won't have to recruit. And Dak has given him some good publicity.

Maybe he wants to go to Dallas and still coach Dak. I have no idea who their OC or other coaches are though. But I bet he'd like that.

drunkernhelldawg
10-17-2016, 01:22 PM
^^^THIS^^^

I think it's more than that. I don't see Fitz going through progression, pressure or not.

I seen it dawg
10-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Maybe he wants to go to Dallas and still coach Dak. I have no idea who their OC or other coaches are though. But I bet he'd like that.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....Scott Linehan and Wade Wilson are slightly more qualified with cache than Mullen

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Is there a source for this rumor?

HereComesTheSpiral
10-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Welcome to Cleveland Mr. Mullen

Political Hack
10-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Bruce Arians

Jackie fired him. I don't recall a lot of drama from fans on him while he was an assistant. Maybe I missed it though because the message boards were still pretty new then (I think GP was already up?).

BrunswickDawg
10-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Jackie fired him. I don't recall a lot of drama from fans on him while he was an assistant. Maybe I missed it though because the message boards were still pretty new then (I think GP was already up?).
1993-1995. 3-6-2, 8-4, and 3-8 won't winyou a lot of support as an OC

RezDog7
10-17-2016, 02:11 PM

The kid has only played in 6 games. I think you need a reality check on your expectations. I understand it all has to do with Dak but he wasn't great his first 6 games either. It's like you a married a 5 but come home from work, after looking at Chive all day, thinking she will be a 10. To me Fitz has gotten a little better each game. He throws a hot ball but at least it's a spiral for the most part now. I'm no internet coach but QB ain't the problem.

gtowndawg
10-17-2016, 02:26 PM

Predates GB. Those were straight up black and white Dawgs Bite days.

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Jackie went through OCs like Mullen does DCs. However I think Jackie held on to a few more than 2 years.

TimberBeast
10-17-2016, 02:40 PM
The kid has only played in 6 games. I think you need a reality check on your expectations. I understand it all has to do with Dak but he wasn't great his first 6 games either. It's like you a married a 5 but come home from work, after looking at Chive all day, thinking she will be a 10. To me Fitz has gotten a little better each game. He throws a hot ball but at least it's a spiral for the most part now. I'm no internet coach but QB ain't the problem.

Thank you, well said.