PDA

View Full Version : OT UGA

BB30
10-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Figured it would be worth discussing. Did UGA make a mistake getting rid of Richt? Or, are we just seeing some growing pains with a new coach in place?

mic
10-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Kirby was a bad hire..

Dawgbite
10-17-2016, 08:55 AM
All of the above.

Cooterpoot
10-17-2016, 08:57 AM
I want to say they should've kept Richt, but with so many off field issues and average performance over a number of years, they probably needed to make a move. But, Smart isn't a HC. I'm not sure he's even a good DC. Saban runs that defense at AL. I predict Smart is fired within 2 years.

BrunswickDawg
10-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Figured it would be worth discussing. Did UGA make a mistake getting rid of Richt? Or, are we just seeing some growing pains with a new coach in place?

Kirby was a bad hire..

Yes to both. And pushing out Bobo was a mistake too.

ETA: - Bobo may not be a great head coach, but his offenses put up much better performances than UGA fans gave him credit for.

TUSK
10-17-2016, 09:02 AM
I want to say they should've kept Richt, but with so many off field issues and average performance over a number of years, they probably needed to make a move. But, Smart isn't a HC. I'm not sure he's even a good DC. Saban runs that defense at AL. I predict Smart is fired within 2 years.

He's super "hands on" with the DBs, but he does delegate to Pruitt. Unless he just hires a DC & pays em a Mil/yr to get yelled at....

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2016, 09:04 AM

Huge mistake.

Mjoelner34
10-17-2016, 09:06 AM
No. He should have been gone earlier. He should have dominated the East year after year but he didn't. I can't think of an SEC coach who did less with more unless maybe it was Les. Sorry I couldn't work 'les' into that sentence a 4th time.

UGA was a fool for not coming after Mullen. Its a helluva lot easier to recruit there than here so he would have had it made and would be doing a lot better job than Kirby.

Irondawg
10-17-2016, 09:07 AM
GA is interesting in that they have had great recruiting classes but like us have whiffed on a lot of OL and have a first year QB. They might be worse than we are and there is really no excuse for that

mic
10-17-2016, 09:11 AM
UGA should never hire an assistant coach that has NEVER been a head coach..
Kirby should have left Bama few years ago, just like Every other Saban disciple does and get some heading coaching exp..

Ifyouonlyknew
10-17-2016, 09:26 AM
Kirby should have left Bama few years ago, just like Every other Saban disciple does and get some heading coaching exp..

Probably should have but he knew it was no need. He knew that as soon as Richt was gone he was the 1st call. Why leave from under Saban's wing & risk getting exposed when you have a top 10 job in all of college football just waiting on you.

dawgday166
10-17-2016, 09:28 AM
I think it's a little early to tell. Saban's first year at Bama wasn't nothing to write home about. I'd give him 3 years minimum and probably 4.

I don't understand some things. Kirby been a head coach all of 6 games or so and many think it's a huge mistake. The same folks want to enshrine Dan for eternity because of "19 wins in 2 years and #1 for 5 weeks".

mic
10-17-2016, 09:37 AM
Probably should have but he knew it was no need. He knew that as soon as Richt was gone he was the 1st call. Why leave from under Saban's wing & risk getting exposed when you have a top 10 job in all of college football just waiting on you.

I view that as a ***** coach that doesn't want The challenge to be a head coach.. It wasn't like Mark is late in his years and retirement was pending..
But I see your point... But you never see a "hot" assistant as long as everyone said Kirby was and not venture out..

Ifyouonlyknew
10-17-2016, 09:41 AM
I view that as a ***** coach that doesn't want The challenge to be a head coach.. It wasn't like Mark is late in his years and retirement was pending..
But I see your point... But you never see a "hot" assistant as long as everyone said Kirby was and not venture out..

Kirby is only 40yrs old though. It's not like he wasted the prime of his coaching career. He was the DC at Bama at 32yrs old. I think from a professional standpoint he played it perfect.

mic
10-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Kirby is only 40yrs old though. It's not like he wasted the prime of his coaching career. He was the DC at Bama at 32yrs old. I think from a professional standpoint he played it perfect.

I agree.. It worked out perfect for him..
UGA just didn't have to go that route IMO..

BrunswickDawg
10-17-2016, 09:51 AM
And yet, UGA has always hired an assistant coach who has never been a head coach. The last coach UGA hired who had head coaching experience at a D1 school was Joel Hunt in1938 who had been head coach at Wyoming. Jim Donnan had HC experience at D 1-AA - and they ran him out of town on a rail.

Cooterpoot
10-17-2016, 10:24 AM
He's super "hands on" with the DBs, but he does delegate to Pruitt. Unless he just hires a DC & pays em a Mil/yr to get yelled at....

Do, do you think Smart is a good DC? I think Pruett is better.

Cooterpoot
10-17-2016, 10:28 AM
I think it's a little early to tell. Saban's first year at Bama wasn't nothing to write home about. I'd give him 3 years minimum and probably 4.

I don't understand some things. Kirby been a head coach all of 6 games or so and many think it's a huge mistake. The same folks want to enshrine Dan for eternity because of "19 wins in 2 years and #1 for 5 weeks".

Because Mullen has a track record of winning at State and State ain't GA regardless of what some of our fans want to believe.

smootness
10-17-2016, 10:48 AM
It obviously remains to be seen if Smart is even as good as Richt, but I don't think it was a mistake to make a move. Richt is a really good coach, but the program had stagnated and wasn't even able to get back to where it was early in his tenure.

Even if Smart doesn't work out, they're just one really good hire away from being a great program.

lamont
10-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Saban lost to Croom his 1st season. No way you can judge Smart at this point

dawgday166
10-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Because Mullen has a track record of winning at State and State ain't GA regardless of what some of our fans want to believe.

Ok. All I was saying is give Kirby a little time. And to some on here if Dan hovers around 6-6 +/- 2 wins/losses a year, he's locked in for life. 6-6 just became harder since we now have to schedule P5 opponent every year.

Taog Redloh
10-17-2016, 11:00 AM
I think they should have waited until after a bad season to fire him, rather than a 10-3 season and bowl win. They would have tanked this year, and that would have been a good time to do it.

As for Smart, hard to tell. I do think he's the type of guy that can win there. I think you have to give him 3 years.

msstate7
10-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Ok. All I was saying is give Kirby a little time. And to some on here if Dan hovers around 6-6 +/- 2 wins/losses a year, he's locked in for life. 6-6 just became harder since we now have to schedule P5 opponent every year.

Since you wanna throw out smart's first year, we'll do the same with Mullen... In the 7 years (including this one), Mullen has won 8 or more 4 times (3 of those being 9 or more), 7 twice, and most likely a losing season this year. So, based on Mullen's track record, he's more likely to be at 8-9 wins than up to 7 wins

TUSK
10-17-2016, 11:27 AM
Do, do you think Smart is a good DC? I think Pruett is better.

I've liked Pruitt's results better, but both are pretty good. Of course, they both have had all world talent with which to work.

dawgday166
10-17-2016, 11:50 AM
I wasn't really looking at getting into a "How Great Dan IS" debate. The point I was trying to make is some on here would give him 3 or 4 more years due to the aforementioned results he has achieved, while they're ready to fire Kirby (or Sirmon), after 6 games with both coaches taking on greater responsibilities than they have ever had before, and coming into completely new situations with personnel they inherited.

Just sayin.

smootness
10-17-2016, 11:57 AM
I wasn't really looking at getting into a "How Great Dan IS" debate. The point I was trying to make is some on here would give him 3 or 4 more years due to the aforementioned results he has achieved, while they're ready to fire Kirby (or Sirmon), after 6 games with both coaches taking on greater responsibilities than they have ever had before, and coming into completely new situations with personnel they inherited.

Just sayin.

I don't know who you're talking about, but I think Mullen has definitely earned an off year. I wouldn't give him 3-4 years regardless of what we do. And I don't think Kirby Smart should be fired no matter what they do this year.

dawgday166
10-17-2016, 12:01 PM
I don't know who you're talking about, but I think Mullen has definitely earned an off year. I wouldn't give him 3-4 years regardless of what we do. And I don't think Kirby Smart should be fired no matter what they do this year.

If, at some point his season, we'll quit playing powder puff football, I would tend to agree. However, in year 8 and 2 years removed from having a pretty darn physical team that was #1 for 5 weeks, I struggle to understand why we're playing powder puff football.

msstate7
10-17-2016, 12:10 PM
If, at some point his season, we'll quit playing powder puff football, I would tend to agree. However, in year 8 and 2 years removed from having a pretty darn physical team that was #1 for 5 weeks, I struggle to understand why we're playing powder puff football.

Would you fire mark dantonio for his abysmal season this year? He lost by 3 td's at home to byu

smootness
10-17-2016, 12:11 PM

It happens. See Michigan State. And the 'This is Year 8' mantra is one of the weirder things I've seen...as though if your trajectory is not continuously up for every year of your tenure, it's time for you to go?

Political Hack
10-17-2016, 12:15 PM
It'll take time. Growing pains are expected, but UGA fans aren't exactly willing to be patient at this point. They've been waiting on their "big year" for a long time. Richt had likely worn his welcome out there though. I don't understand how they don't have a top 5 recruiting class every year. They own Atlanta and all of GA. It should be easy to build a strong team and a great identity. Saban did it in LA at LSU. That should be a model LSU and UGA going forward.

dawgday166
10-17-2016, 12:18 PM
It happens. See Michigan State. And the 'This is Year 8' mantra is one of the weirder things I've seen...as though if your trajectory is not continuously up for every year of your tenure, it's time for you to go?

Didn't say it had to be an upward trajectory every year. It's the powder puff part I'm talking about. The other MSU I haven't watched play so I don't know if they are playing powder puff or not. To add something: Dantonio has won the Big 10. He's beaten Meyer. He ain't 3-20 against the top 4 coaches in his Division either.

Really Clark?
10-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Didn't say it had to be an upward trajectory every year. It's the powder puff part I'm talking about. The other MSU I haven't watched play so I don't know if they are playing powder puff or not. To add something: Dantonio has won the Big 10. He's beaten Meyer. He ain't 3-20 against the top 4 coaches in his Division either.

Who are the teams he has had to play that are similar to our top 4? Besides OSU? Michigan wasn't been that good until this year. Penn State has been average. Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana...yuck. He lost 38-0 to Saban with his best team and 49-7 in 2010. He is 1-3 all time against SEC opponents. 1-1 against Georgia.

Bothrops
10-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Way too early to tell.

smootness
10-17-2016, 12:40 PM

They've given up 108 points in 3 conference games and 180 overall in 6 games. I can't imagine they're playing tough football.

And who are the 4 top coaches in that division? Meyer's only been there 4 years, Harbaugh's only been there 1 year. Then you have sanctions-riddled Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, and Indiana. Great.

RocketDawg
10-17-2016, 01:38 PM
They were crazy to fire Richt. Just look at his record. I thought so then and I still think so. And they're paying Smart a small fortune, even as an unproven coach. If we fire Mullen, I'll bet we regret it a year or two after he's gone. He could certainly use some staff shuffling though.