PDA

View Full Version : Time to face reality & set realistic expectations...

CadaverDawg
10-17-2016, 08:09 AM
Let's face it, we aren't very good. We all knew we'd take a step back, but not like this. Looking at the schedule, it could be a very VERY long and miserable end to the season, bc I do not see a potential win beyond Kentucky (not counting Samford)....and that one is on the road, so we might lose it too.

With that said, we need to set realistic expectations to finish the season so that it isn't just a meltdown of epic proportions every Saturday after Samford. What must you see to finish the year to give you some semblance of hope that we're improving or turning it around? Is it safe for us all to agree that at best this team will win 4 games now? We aren't beating A&M, Ark, Ala, or OM....we just aren't.

For me, there's some things I'd like to see going forward.

1) If at any point I feel Dan has "lost" the team, I want him out. He has not yet, so I can live with him getting 2017 as long as that continues.

2) I want to at least see us playing as hard as we did Friday night in every remaining game. No more Auburn performances in terms of effort.

3) Holloway and Shump are Seniors, and Aeris earned the nod on Fri....it's time for the Holloway & Shump show to end at MSU officially for the remainder of the year.

4) I want to see our defense continue to improve. I like what I saw Fri out of some young guys. Gotta get better every week.

5) I want the undisciplined shit to stop. Too many late hits and dumb penalties. That's coaching and immaturity.

6) I want to see Fitz continue to improve. He has got to stop just raring back and throwing it as hard as he can. He is like a young pitcher that can throw it 99 mph....he is too worried about showing the world his arm strength than he is controlling where the ball goes and being accurate. Accuracy and decision making needs to improve each week.

7) Mullen needs to go more run heavy. Fitz isn't 2015 Dak, not even close, so quit calling a 2015 game plan. This should be more of a Relf-like offense going forward.

8) I want our kicking game to improve. You could argue that Cooke and Graves lost us that game Friday. No excuse for missing chip shots and shanking punts. You have one damn job, do it.

9) Develop some WR's with size on the outside. The loss of DeRunnya has hurt more than anybody wants to admit. Not only was he a big safe target on key plays, but he was a relentless blocker which sprung long runs and big gains on quick screens in the pass game. If we've burnt Todd and Couch's redshirts, get their asses out there and let them get work. No need to have any significant players for 2017 be inexperienced...we have 6 games that we should be using to prepare for 2017. Get The young receivers work, get these young and talented TE's more work, get Aeris more work, and get Lee, Gibson, and Murphy some work. There is 100% NO excuse for the "youth and inexperience" excuse in 2017. This season is shot, so start gaining experience THIS week. That includes O-Line. Get Senior and any other Senior OLmen off the field, and let the youngsters trial by fire. It worked for Sean Rawlings and Co last year at OM...and they can't do any worse than our veterans have done this year. Get them in there now so we don't go through this shit again next year.

10) Basically, Mullen, we're ok with one bad year IF we see improvement each week, better coaching and game planning that fits our personnel, and an attempt to start preparing for next season by getting next year's contributors on the field. But not a word about the crowds being small at 11:00 am each week going forward...you and your boys earned that by taking off 2 weeks and not even preparing or showing up for Auburn a week and a half ago. Time to get after it and finish this year competitively and with our 2017 two deep on the field.

If I see those (or at least some of them, esp the effort ones) I can live with letting Dan try to turn it around.

What do you guys think?

SDDawg
10-17-2016, 08:18 AM
We're playing for 4 or 5 wins. I would consider 5 to be nearly a *******ed miracle at this point. As a result, the only thing at stake is improvement. With no bowl practices, you better get the most out of this group between now and the end of November.

lastmajordog
10-17-2016, 08:19 AM
Awesome post Cav.....

starkvegasdawg
10-17-2016, 08:19 AM
I'm ok with giving Mullen next year if he wants to be here. If his name comes up in any searching rumors I want a statement by him immediately stating he isn't interested. If he does like he has in the past and is out in high heels, mini skirt, and a halter top leaning in the car window of every passing AD blowing kisses and say he'll do whatever they want for $25, then I want him gone immediately.

I want Hev gone this morning. A sack of flour could coach o line better than him.

I want to see some real fire on the recruiting trail. I'm tired of being the only SEC offer for a lot of our recruits.

WSOPdawg
10-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Agree Cad, but I'll add that PT for Desper & Senior needs to be reduced so that we can get younger OL seasoning. Unfortunately, Nick better get ready to move when in the pocket, but the guys currently the trenches haven't been giving him much protection ytd.

dawg27
10-17-2016, 08:41 AM
bb
I'm ok with giving Mullen next year if he wants to be here. If his name comes up in any searching rumors I want a statement by him immediately stating he isn't interested. If he does like he has in the past and is out in high heels, mini skirt, and a halter top leaning in the car window of every passing AD blowing kisses and say he'll do whatever they want for $25, then I want him gone immediately.

I want Hev gone this morning. A sack of flour could coach o line better than him.

I want to see some real fire on the recruiting trail. I'm tired of being the only SEC offer for a lot of our recruits.

Good post i agree i am tired of us being the only sec offer, i dont know if that is just dan being lazy being the only sec offer is easy to get with out a fight, it may just be me but it seemed like we did not even fight for aj should have had him locked down 3 yrs ago,and it looks like we loosing another one out of our back yard, i want to see us being aggressive and not being ok with being in the 30s. i want to see dan calling plays aggressive.

Taog Redloh
10-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Play hard (and improvement will come) and sign our current JUCOs plus about 3 more.

thf24
10-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Great post Cadaver, completely agree.

Agree with these too. If Dan stays but doesn't give any indications of replacing Hev, then whoever the new AD is needs to do it for him. I know this is a professional no-no and normally I'd agree it has to be left up to the HC. But Dan needs to be saved from himself on this one. Hev is an obvious tremendously weak link in all aspects at this point (early on you could at least say his coaching was good, not so the past two years) and Dan can't or won't see it due to their friendship. I don't mind seeing Dan get another year, but only if this is the last one we gimp ourselves on the OL both in recruiting and on the field. Whatever it takes to change that.

BrunswickDawg
10-17-2016, 08:49 AM
I'd agree with all that Cad. I'd also add - even though I'm a Fitz homer - he needs to get Tiano some real PT in the Samford game. We are always 1 hit away from needing a different QB.

I also still think it is possible for us to get to 5 wins, and I'd love to see it just to shut some people up. It isn't that far fetched. KY and Samford will be wins. I think it will come down to OM in the finale and our guys take it in a surprise against a 5-6 OM team coming off a Vandy loss.

Thick
10-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Here's your realistic expectations....3 maybe 4 wins. Next year, we could be facing the same record. There's no leadership on either side of the ball, and our HC and his offensive cronies are ready to move on. Everybody on this board needs to quit trying to rationalize everything related to football. The problem is and will continue to be DM! He proved 2 years ago that he was ready to leave MSU, and the players know it. What message does that send to the team....he's not focused, his mind is elsewhere, and he doesn't care. Now he's taken the next step and upped the ante by hiring Sexton.

By the way, did any of you see or hear his post game presser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9n_N-GCd3k&feature=share

Really Clark?
10-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Good post Cad. I will say however as of today we are exactly reverse of last year in play calling though. We threw the ball 54% in 2015, this year we have rushed the ball 54%. Being behind and having trouble running ball has kept it lower than we probably would want to be in run vs pass percentage.

mic
10-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Here's your realistic expectations....3 maybe 4 wins. Next year, we could be facing the same record. There's no leadership on either side of the ball, and our HC and his offensive cronies are ready to move on. Everybody on this board needs to quit trying to rationalize everything related to football. The problem is and will continue to be DM! He proved 2 years ago that he was ready to leave MSU, and the players know it. What message does that send to the team....he's not focused, his mind is elsewhere, and he doesn't care. Now he's taken the next step and upped the ante by hiring Sexton.

If CDM was trying to channel his inner Bill Belichick he failed miserably..

Tbonewannabe
10-17-2016, 09:29 AM
I would like to see either DLee, Gibson, or Murphy get a couple of carries. No matter if Dan is here next year or not, Hevesy should not. He is a negative impact to recruiting and now it doesn't look like he is developing the Oline worth a shit either. It seems like 1 out of every 3 downs we have a lineman either block the wrong guy or get pancaked by a 250 lb DT. He is making Ron Cooper's coaching ability look average.

I want the intense bastard Mullen back.

dawgfan22
10-17-2016, 09:34 AM
I'm thinking we go 4-8 with wins over Samford and Kentucky. I just don't see us keeping any game remotely close in November. 4 games probably worse the Auburn game. Bama might put up 80. But I am pretty excited about Keith Mixon. Gonna be a big time player these next few years.

Bama_Dawg
10-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Cad, agree on all points.

One thing I want to add is this is the defining year for Dan. He hired a new agent, so his stock will be lower if he comes out of this year in a bad way. Sexton doesn't want this either. These next few months will define Dan's tenure at Mississippi State and I think he has two options:

1. Pack it in, and hope he can get another good job.
2. Rededicate, starting now, that he is and will be in Starkville for the long haul. No more "whoring" himself out as SVD34 mentioned. Sit his a$$ in StarkVegas, fire Hev, and recruit like h3ll.

Although some option C will come about (yes, I know, I did that on purpose), and we'll have plenty more to talk about on here about what happened.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2016, 09:43 AM
We need to figure out the Center position for next year. Mullen needs to find a way to get Daryl Williams, Calhoun, Moon or whoever it's going to be some game reps b/c that is a major weakness looking to 2017. We aren't going to a bowl this year so we miss out on all those extra practices. That's going to hurt the development of a lot of young guys in a self-proclaimed developmental program so Mullen needs to use these next couple of games to figure some things out.

Thick
10-17-2016, 09:46 AM
We need to figure out the Center position for next year. Mullen needs to find a way to get Daryl Williams, Calhoun, Moon or whoever it's going to be some game reps b/c that is a major weakness looking to 2017. We aren't going to a bowl this year so we miss out on all those extra practices. That's going to hurt the development of a lot of young guys in a self-proclaimed developmental program so Mullen needs to use these next couple of games to figure some things out.

That's a good point, but does Dan really care enough for it to matter?

K9 Avenger
10-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Thank you...this is a great post...totally fair and realistic assessment of where we are and where we need to be going forward. I believe this would speak for a large majority of the fan base.

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2016, 10:20 AM
I agree mostly. However,...my .02

2. You will see more "Auburn performances" when we play teams with big physical linemen. Bama, that DE for aTm will maul Fitz, Ark may run at will, ...I don't know how we slow down OM's passing game because we can't get to any QB.

3. Shump is doing ok getting tough yards here and there. I don't mind him continuing to get a few carries. I would like to see Aeries more though.

4. Green needs to stay on the field. As does Peters, Gray and Mclauren.

5. I agree. But sometimes that's football. The hands to the face PF... was very questionable. Dallas had more ill-timed penalties yesterday than they should have.

6. I have assumed he is throwing it 100 trying not to get picked off. BUt yeah, he has had enough playing experience now that we should see him settling down some.

8. I'm concerned that the SEC stage may be to big for our PK.

9. The WRs seem good. Maybe Fred is trying to hard to make a play and not looking the ball in.....I don't know. BUt other than that..... The OL.....something needs to be mixed, changed. Something.......anything.

10. Mullen....it has been beaten to death. He will either go on his own......or he will be here in 2017. Regardless if he wants out or not, it would benefit him tremendously if we finish strong.

10a. Regardless of kickoff times.....the secondary ticket market will be flooded with tickets. It is a shame too. Because State (although we will never get our due) has become a first class pre-game, tailgating experience. The atmosphere there on campus is light years....LIGHT YEARS...better than what it used to be and is on Par with OM and Bama. (Ive been to both recently, experience talking). So, people need to go and enjoy their tailgate, friends and enjoy the experience. The season will be over before you know it.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2016, 10:35 AM
I agree mostly. However,...my .02

2. You will see more "Auburn performances" when we play teams with big physical linemen. Bama, that DE for aTm will maul Fitz, Ark may run at will, ...I don't know how we slow down OM's passing game because we can't get to any QB.

3. Shump is doing ok getting tough yards here and there. I don't mind him continuing to get a few carries. I would like to see Aeries more though.

4. Green needs to stay on the field. As does Peters, Gray and Mclauren.

5. I agree. But sometimes that's football. The hands to the face PF... was very questionable. Dallas had more ill-timed penalties yesterday than they should have.

6. I have assumed he is throwing it 100 trying not to get picked off. BUt yeah, he has had enough playing experience now that we should see him settling down some.

8. I'm concerned that the SEC stage may be to big for our PK.

9. The WRs seem good. Maybe Fred is trying to hard to make a play and not looking the ball in.....I don't know. BUt other than that..... The OL.....something needs to be mixed, changed. Something.......anything.

10. Mullen....it has been beaten to death. He will either go on his own......or he will be here in 2017. Regardless if he wants out or not, it would benefit him tremendously if we finish strong.

10a. Regardless of kickoff times.....the secondary ticket market will be flooded with tickets. It is a shame too. Because State (although we will never get our due) has become a first class pre-game, tailgating experience. The atmosphere there on campus is light years....LIGHT YEARS...better than what it used to be and is on Par with OM and Bama. (Ive been to both recently, experience talking). So, people need to go and enjoy their tailgate, friends and enjoy the experience. The season will be over before you know it.

I agree with a lot of that, but Totally disagree about Shumpert. Why do you want to see him get carries? He's a Senior and we have 4 RB's with more upside and more eligibility left. Why waste even more valuable reps on a guy that has done very little and will be gone in 6 games? We aren't going bowling, and even if it were possible, that miracle doesn't have a chance to happen with Shump or Holloway at RB. It's time to move on and get experience for the guys that we will have to rely on next year. Handoffs to Shumpert and Holloway are wasted going forward....I'd argue they were wasted the last 2 years. And that goes for the Seniors on the OL as well...they aren't trying anyway, so put the young guys in that will be taking over next year.

I wouldn't take out the Senior DL guys totally, mainly bc they try and bc I prefer not to see us get routed in every remaining game. The Senior OL will have no effect on that, bc they play like high schoolers

GTHOM
10-17-2016, 12:10 PM

But 19 wins??? Number 1??? He deserves another 4.5 million dollar year!!***

bulldawg28
10-17-2016, 01:30 PM
But 19 wins??? Number 1??? He deserves another 4.5 million dollar year!!***

No astrix needed, he does.

preachermatt83
10-17-2016, 02:09 PM

My feelings EXACTLY.

Commercecomet24
10-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Let's face it, we aren't very good. We all knew we'd take a step back, but not like this. Looking at the schedule, it could be a very VERY long and miserable end to the season, bc I do not see a potential win beyond Kentucky (not counting Samford)....and that one is on the road, so we might lose it too.

With that said, we need to set realistic expectations to finish the season so that it isn't just a meltdown of epic proportions every Saturday after Samford. What must you see to finish the year to give you some semblance of hope that we're improving or turning it around? Is it safe for us all to agree that at best this team will win 4 games now? We aren't beating A&M, Ark, Ala, or OM....we just aren't.

For me, there's some things I'd like to see going forward.

1) If at any point I feel Dan has "lost" the team, I want him out. He has not yet, so I can live with him getting 2017 as long as that continues.

2) I want to at least see us playing as hard as we did Friday night in every remaining game. No more Auburn performances in terms of effort.

3) Holloway and Shump are Seniors, and Aeris earned the nod on Fri....it's time for the Holloway & Shump show to end at MSU officially for the remainder of the year.

4) I want to see our defense continue to improve. I like what I saw Fri out of some young guys. Gotta get better every week.

5) I want the undisciplined shit to stop. Too many late hits and dumb penalties. That's coaching and immaturity.

6) I want to see Fitz continue to improve. He has got to stop just raring back and throwing it as hard as he can. He is like a young pitcher that can throw it 99 mph....he is too worried about showing the world his arm strength than he is controlling where the ball goes and being accurate. Accuracy and decision making needs to improve each week.

7) Mullen needs to go more run heavy. Fitz isn't 2015 Dak, not even close, so quit calling a 2015 game plan. This should be more of a Relf-like offense going forward.

8) I want our kicking game to improve. You could argue that Cooke and Graves lost us that game Friday. No excuse for missing chip shots and shanking punts. You have one damn job, do it.

9) Develop some WR's with size on the outside. The loss of DeRunnya has hurt more than anybody wants to admit. Not only was he a big safe target on key plays, but he was a relentless blocker which sprung long runs and big gains on quick screens in the pass game. If we've burnt Todd and Couch's redshirts, get their asses out there and let them get work. No need to have any significant players for 2017 be inexperienced...we have 6 games that we should be using to prepare for 2017. Get The young receivers work, get these young and talented TE's more work, get Aeris more work, and get Lee, Gibson, and Murphy some work. There is 100% NO excuse for the "youth and inexperience" excuse in 2017. This season is shot, so start gaining experience THIS week. That includes O-Line. Get Senior and any other Senior OLmen off the field, and let the youngsters trial by fire. It worked for Sean Rawlings and Co last year at OM...and they can't do any worse than our veterans have done this year. Get them in there now so we don't go through this shit again next year.

10) Basically, Mullen, we're ok with one bad year IF we see improvement each week, better coaching and game planning that fits our personnel, and an attempt to start preparing for next season by getting next year's contributors on the field. But not a word about the crowds being small at 11:00 am each week going forward...you and your boys earned that by taking off 2 weeks and not even preparing or showing up for Auburn a week and a half ago. Time to get after it and finish this year competitively and with our 2017 two deep on the field.

If I see those (or at least some of them, esp the effort ones) I can live with letting Dan try to turn it around.

What do you guys think?

You need to post more, Cadaver! You always call it fair. I agree with everything you just said. We got to many posters on here that go to the extreme either way but you and Hack always seem to have it called fairly. In fairness to Logan Cooke, he is trying to play with a pretty substantial inury to his knee, its why he didn't do kickoffs for a couple of weeks, but no excuse you still gotta make plays but I appreciate his effort in trying to do his job with injury. I'm like you I can give Dan another year if I see the energy, effort and improvement that's needed. We show some glimmers of being a decent football team and then we blow it with a dumb play. Its only 1 or 2 plays a game that have cost us 3 wins(2 FG misses against USA(shouldnt have come down to that), roughing the kicker against LSU, any of about 6 or 7 plays against BYU where if we just make one of those we win. Just shows you how close the margin for error is. I'm willing to let the year play out but we gotta see improvement. Post more!

Political Hack
10-17-2016, 03:45 PM
It's not going to get much better next year. Our SEC schedule is brutal.

NCDawg
10-17-2016, 03:51 PM
If Mullen doesn't get rid of his underperforming OL coach, then I have no confidence we will be any better next year than we are this year.

RocketDawg
10-17-2016, 03:51 PM
It's not going to get much better next year. Our SEC schedule is brutal.

Isn't it pretty much the same difficulty level as this year, except we drop SC and pick up Georgia? And Georgia's not much better than SC this year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-17-2016, 03:57 PM
Good post and agree on all points!

CadaverDawg
10-17-2016, 04:02 PM
You need to post more, Cadaver! You always call it fair. I agree with everything you just said. We got to many posters on here that go to the extreme either way but you and Hack always seem to have it called fairly. In fairness to Logan Cooke, he is trying to play with a pretty substantial inury to his knee, its why he didn't do kickoffs for a couple of weeks, but no excuse you still gotta make plays but I appreciate his effort in trying to do his job with injury. I'm like you I can give Dan another year if I see the energy, effort and improvement that's needed. We show some glimmers of being a decent football team and then we blow it with a dumb play. Its only 1 or 2 plays a game that have cost us 3 wins(2 FG misses against USA(shouldnt have come down to that), roughing the kicker against LSU, any of about 6 or 7 plays against BYU where if we just make one of those we win. Just shows you how close the margin for error is. I'm willing to let the year play out but we gotta see improvement. Post more!

Thanks for the kind words. Thanks for the Cooke info too, I wasn't aware of that.

LC Dawg
10-17-2016, 04:15 PM
My best case scenario would be for Mullen to re-energize and rededicate himself to the program. He's hired some guys to help with recruiting so I think he realized something needed to be done. If Coach Mullen wants to be here I think we can win again and even improve upon what we have done lately even if it doesn't happen next year. From everything I have heard the Thompson kid is the real deal and is our future at qb. I think its obvious we have a better chance of signing him if Mullen stays. I realize getting rid of Hevesy is what needs to happen but if you say you won't watch MSU football as long as Hevesy is coaching you may as well say you won't watch as long as Mullen is coaching. Maybe we can at least get Hevesy off the road and let someone else recruit in his spot but I think he'll be here as long as Mullen is.
Understand that I am not saying that I want Coach Mullen here regardless of what happens but that I would be happy if he decided he wanted to be here and put forth the effort that reflected that desire. I worry a little about where we will be in the pecking order of available coaches if Coach Mullen leaves after this year and I really worry about our current commits if it happens.
My main desire for players is that Fitz keep developing. If he is working hard and getting better let's see where it goes but if he is not putting in the time needed to develop then I say bench him and let's see what Tiano has.

Tbonewannabe
10-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Isn't it pretty much the same difficulty level as this year, except we drop SC and pick up Georgia? And Georgia's not much better than SC this year.

The biggest problem is your typical 50/50 games are on the road. Instead of AU, Ark, A&M, and East team, you get Bama, LSU, UNM, and UK at home. The only game you can expect out of those is UK and we have won it no matter where it was. Now instead of being a toss up game at home, you are an underdog on the road at AU, Ark, A&M, and UGA. We have now won twice in Ark, AU is greatly improved, and I don't think we have won at A&M or UGA in my lifetime.

Tbonewannabe
10-17-2016, 05:30 PM
My best case scenario would be for Mullen to re-energize and rededicate himself to the program. He's hired some guys to help with recruiting so I think he realized something needed to be done. If Coach Mullen wants to be here I think we can win again and even improve upon what we have done lately even if it doesn't happen next year. From everything I have heard the Thompson kid is the real deal and is our future at qb. I think its obvious we have a better chance of signing him if Mullen stays. I realize getting rid of Hevesy is what needs to happen but if you say you won't watch MSU football as long as Hevesy is coaching you may as well say you won't watch as long as Mullen is coaching. Maybe we can at least get Hevesy off the road and let someone else recruit in his spot but I think he'll be here as long as Mullen is.
Understand that I am not saying that I want Coach Mullen here regardless of what happens but that I would be happy if he decided he wanted to be here and put forth the effort that reflected that desire. I worry a little about where we will be in the pecking order of available coaches if Coach Mullen leaves after this year and I really worry about our current commits if it happens.
My main desire for players is that Fitz keep developing. If he is working hard and getting better let's see where it goes but if he is not putting in the time needed to develop then I say bench him and let's see what Tiano has.

Hevesy and Sallach it seems are dead weight on the recruiting trail. Just like us not using all of our schollies, having those guys on staff is like putting yourself on probation. Mullen is making it harder on himself to win.

Commercecomet24
10-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Thanks for the Cooke info too, I wasn't aware of that.

You always bring a rational point of view and it's been missed around here. Yeah I know cooke family, they've tried to keep it kinda quiet but look at the big brace he's wearing. Probablt be surgery at some point hopefully after the season. These kids really are trying it just ain't come together yet, but it's not lack of effort. There's several out there playing thru some stuff trying to turn this season around. And Dan has not lost this team or locker room. Post more, cadaver!

tcdog70
10-18-2016, 09:42 AM
Back when Dan first came on Board, I went to a meeting and heard Him explain His offensive plan. He stated that with His offense He did not need a top flight OL. He said all his Olinemen needed to do was screen and brush block. That left Me scratching My head. I thought shit, this is the SEC. He said with His spread He would put Linebackers and safeties in huge matchup problems and would get gamebreakers the ball in space. he said with the spread and an empty backfield He would put his QB in a position to be unstoppable.

I think Dan has come to find out you can't screen and brush block in the SEC. In our History at MSU, when we have had success, We have had an really good OL. You cannot survive in the SEC without a physical OL.

NCDawg
10-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Back when Dan first came on Board, I went to a meeting and heard Him explain His offensive plan. He stated that with His offense He did not need a top flight OL. He said all his Olinemen needed to do was screen and brush block. That left Me scratching My head. I thought shit, this is the SEC. He said with His spread He would put Linebackers and safeties in huge matchup problems and would get gamebreakers the ball in space. he said with the spread and an empty backfield He would put his QB in a position to be unstoppable.

I think Dan has come to find out you can't screen and brush block in the SEC. In our History at MSU, when we have had success, We have had an really good OL. You cannot survive in the SEC without a physical OL.

Totally agree.

Really Clark?
10-18-2016, 10:56 AM

I agree but here is the rub. It did work. But as more teams have seen similar schemes the defenses have adjusted. The margin for error diminished. We have adjusted our blocking scheme but don't have the horses or consistency or a coach comfortable with that scheme. Or a combination of all three.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-18-2016, 11:08 AM
I agree but here is the rub. It did work. But as more teams have seen similar schemes the defenses have adjusted. The margin for error diminished. We have adjusted our blocking scheme but don't have the horses or consistency or a coach comfortable with that scheme. Or a combination of all three.

It worked to a degree against certain competition, but obviously didn't against teams like Bama that have physical D lines.

Really Clark?
10-18-2016, 11:28 AM
It worked to a degree against certain competition, but obviously didn't against teams like Bama that have physical D lines.

So scrap the idea because it has problems against a defense that year in year out is one of the best in the country with twice the talent as any other school? In fact, how many offense lines don't have problems when facing a tough physical DL? No scheme always works but it did work. We have also adjusted our scheme

maroonmania
10-18-2016, 02:06 PM

Exactly, you will never defeat elite defensive teams with subpar OL I don't care what scheme you run.

maroonmania
10-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Hevesy and Sallach it seems are dead weight on the recruiting trail. Just like us not using all of our schollies, having those guys on staff is like putting yourself on probation. Mullen is making it harder on himself to win.

They are worse than dead weight. Dead weight would be if they brought nothing positive. Unfortunately, they not all bring nothing positive they bring a lot of negatives on the recruiting trail.

tcdog70
10-18-2016, 02:16 PM

a problem i see with today's offense is our inability to get receivers open. When have we seen a wr running open? We couldn't get open against UMass or the Jags. Very tight windows for our QB. We hardly ever throw a slant or hit the TE down the seem. We used to throw a bootleg pass to the TE that was good a couple times a game--where did it go?