PDA

View Full Version : Calls to bench Romo are mounting

starkvegasdawg
10-17-2016, 05:44 AM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17811681/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-start-dak-prescott-tony-romo-nfl-2016

I love what the writer lists as one of Jerry's mistakes in the first sentence.

MarketingBully
10-17-2016, 07:17 AM
They are 5-1 and a big reason for that is Dak. I don't blame them for calling to keep Dak starting.

Dawgface
10-17-2016, 07:44 AM
Dak made a couple of booboos, but he more than offset those with his overall play. Everyone I heard yesterday and this morning says Dak should continue as starter. If the offense spits and sputters later on, then Romo gets his chance. Romo should start thinking about retiring.... for health reasons if nothing else.

WSOPdawg
10-17-2016, 08:03 AM
Dak made a couple of booboos, but he more than offset those with his overall play. Everyone I heard yesterday and this morning says Dak should continue as starter. If the offense spits and sputters later on, then Romo gets his chance. Romo should start thinking about retiring.... for health reasons if nothing else.

Dak's 1st INT (inside the Packer's 20yd line) was preceded by a dropped bomb at the 50 by Butler that arguably would have eliminated Dak's INT play because Elliot would have probably been given the rock to tote the next play on 1st & 10. I preface this to say that while they all made "booboos," Dak has certainly earned the respect of his teammates and I'm not sure even Tony Romo would recommend benching Dak when he's healthy enough to return atm.

Noah11
10-17-2016, 08:04 AM
how could you not start Dak? he has led the team to a 5-1 record, and largely because of his succsess

Political Hack
10-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Dak's 1st INT (inside the Packer's 20yd line) was preceded by a dropped bomb at the 50 by Butler that arguably would have eliminated Dak's INT play because Elliot would have probably been given the rock to tote the next play on 1st & 10. I preface this to say that while they all made "booboos," Dak has certainly earned the respect of his teammates and I'm not sure even Tony Romo would recommend benching Dak when he's healthy enough to return atm.

It's the NFL. The guy should've caught it and scored. No reason for that WR to go to the ground and sure as hell no reason to drop that ball. If Dez was in he would've been gone.

That's another thing, Witten isn't playing well IMO and they're doing this without Dez and with a rookie RB b

Hypnodawg
10-17-2016, 08:39 AM
I love the zinger he ends the article with " Even an owner who hasn't won the big one in 20 years can see that."

Elliott has looked as much the vet as Dak has. I'm starting to become a fan of his too. That duo is going to win a lot of games. If Dez was in there, I think Dallas would have hung 40+ on GB.

BB30
10-17-2016, 08:42 AM
I completely agree, Dak has earned the job. But, I just don't see it happening. Romo will get a shot he has a lot of 00000000's on his paycheck. I really don't think he can stay healthy though. At this rate he will be lucky to be walking in his mid 50's. At some point you have to ask yourself is my health later in life more important than playing in a few more football games and risking another back issue especially when your team has a guy that is playing extremely well and everyone likes/trusts. The good thing is there is no doubt how Dak will handle it and that is enough to make all of us proud.

HSVDawg
10-17-2016, 10:14 AM
I completely agree, Dak has earned the job. But, I just don't see it happening. Romo will get a shot he has a lot of 00000000's on his paycheck. I really don't think he can stay healthy though. At this rate he will be lucky to be walking in his mid 50's. At some point you have to ask yourself is my health later in life more important than playing in a few more football games and risking another back issue especially when your team has a guy that is playing extremely well and everyone likes/trusts. The good thing is there is no doubt how Dak will handle it and that is enough to make all of us proud.

I don't really get the paycheck argument. That money is a sunk cost no matter who the QB is. You play the guy that gives you the best chance at winning.

In fact, I think you could argue that Romo's contract actually encourages him to be the backup. That would increase his longevity by reducing his exposure to the volume of hits he has received that have lead to his health issues. When you are paying that much money to a player, your first objective is to do whatever you can to make sure that player is an asset that can continue producing on some level (aka, not sitting due to injury). The second objective is that you hope that player produces at the level that you are paying him. Romo's body is a ticking time bomb at this point, so his real value is being able to come in and spell Dak if he gets a minor injury that knocks him out of a game temporarily, or he can go in if Dak can't move the offense against a team that is a bad matchup for his skillset.

DancingRabbit
10-17-2016, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=HSVDawg;633819]I don't really get the paycheck argument. That money is a sunk cost no matter who the QB is. You play the guy that gives you the best chance at winning.

Agree. $20M sitting on the bench gets GMs fired, but Jerry is the GM and owner so that doesn't come into play here.

Jerry is loyal to players he likes, and he loves Tony and feels bad that he never put a good team around him when he was in his prime. But the thought of winning another SB will take precedence.

They will slow-play Tony's rehab and see if Dak can keep this run going.

Dawg61
10-17-2016, 04:23 PM
I think the Cowboys are just giving Romo the chance to be the better man here and say this is now Dak's team. Let Romo look like gold by announcing he's stepping aside to let Dak take them to where he can't.

Political Hack
10-17-2016, 08:41 PM
I think the Cowboys are just giving Romo the chance to be the better man here and say this is now Dak's team. Let Romo look like gold by announcing he's stepping aside to let Dak take them to where he can't.

That's what I would do. Save myself another broken back, build the team into a dynasty, and retire a millionaire after a year or two as a backup.

ScreenCaptureThis
10-17-2016, 08:49 PM
That's what I would do. Save myself another broken back, build the team into a dynasty, and retire a millionaire after a year or two as a backup.

If the Cowboys treat this like Brady back when Bledsoe got hurt against the Jets, they might have the next coming. Bledsoe was beloved by the Pats fans, gets knocked out, Brady comes in, and the rest is history. Let history repeat itself, Jerry, let Dak play.

BeardoMSU
10-17-2016, 08:50 PM

Good point, 61. I can definitely see that.

Quaoarsking
10-17-2016, 09:24 PM
East solution: Trade Romo for some high draft picks to make the team even better.

The Broncos would probably interested. Switch out Siemian for Romo and they might win the Super Bowl agian.

msstate7
10-17-2016, 09:25 PM
East solution: Trade Romo for some high draft picks to make the team even better.

The Broncos would probably interested. Switch out Siemian for Romo and they might win the Super Bowl agian.

Minnesota would be very good with romo

Edit... nevermind, this would be stupid to help an NFC team

Steakonastick
10-17-2016, 09:28 PM
Call the steerlers, jets, dolphins, broncos, 49ers.

anubus
10-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Dak is winning games making Dallas relevant and the topic of discussion again which means pr and $$$$ for Jerry .

Longtime Lurker
10-17-2016, 10:56 PM
The problem is, the Cowboys have to play Romo. If he doesn't play any more this season, trading him won't be an option in the offseason. He won't be worth anything. However, letting him come back and somehow stay healthy and make a decent run at the end of the year, will increase his trade value.

DancingRabbit
10-17-2016, 11:14 PM
I don't think Tony will want to go to another team. I think he will retire as a Cowboy.

Tony's been a good Cowboy. With a broken back and Dak rolling, I think he may take a back seat unless needed.

After being a little goofy in his younger years, he's been a pretty solid guy. Always been under-rated as a player.

MetEdDawg
10-18-2016, 12:01 PM
While there are multiple things to point to that show Dak should stay in over Romo, there is two really glaring statistics that hammer it home.

1) Dak's QBR is 84.7. That's better than the QBR of any single season Romo has had in his career. Romo's best was an 81.8 in 2014.

2) Dak's passer rating of 103.9 is better than all but one of Romo's in his career, only trailing Romo's 2014 passer rating of 113.2

Dak's currently a more effective QB compared to Romo statistically and at least as effective as Romo as a passer over his career at the current moment. That's what the stats say. For as much as Romo has done for the Cowboys, he's only got a 2:1 TD/INT ratio and has 39 fumbles in his career. Stick with Dak.