PDA

View Full Version : Something to consider with fitz

msstate7
10-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Dak has come out and said part of his NFL success has to do with Mullen's offense being so similar to an NFL offense. With fitz only being a qb his senior year of HS in a triple option offense, hopefully it's just the complexity of the offense that's hurting fitz with his progressions. Hopefully as he continues to play this season, he starts picking up on the nuances of a very complex college offense.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Fitz's progressions are one thing, but the part that discourages me is the lack of feel or touch on his passes. Whoever the coach is will have to turn Fitz from a relief pitcher to a starting pitcher

Gutter Cobreh
10-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Dak has come out and said part of his NFL success has to do with Mullen's offense being so similar to an NFL offense. With fitz only being a qb his senior year of HS in a triple option offense, hopefully it's just the complexity of the offense that's hurting fitz with his progressions. Hopefully as he continues to play this season, he starts picking up on the nuances of a very complex college offense.

Does Fitz work as hard on game prep and play as Prescott did? If the answer is yes, then he may pick it up.

If not, then he will never be able to bend that curve in his favor.

His over throws on Friday were bad. You can chalk it up to the thin air, but at some point in that game adjustments should have been made. Proper game prep would have seen him preparing for the ball flight.

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Fitz's progressions are one thing, but the part that discourages me is the lack of feel or touch on his passes. Whoever the coach is will have to turn Fitz from a relief pitcher to a starting pitcher
Go back and watch 2013. Dak had those same issues - especially in games where we switched from TR to Dak. The receivers couldn't catch his passes and his timing was off constantly. It wasn't until he got to spend the summer of '14 as "the guy" that he gelled with the receivers. That's why I blame a lot of these issues on Dan not naming a starter after spring. The receivers split their time working out between 4 QBs - creating clicques and not coming together. From what I have seen so far, I would lay money that Ross worked with Dam Williams and Gray worked with Fitz. Almost Every throw to Gray is money. You can't learn that timing on the fly.

bulldawg28
10-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Go back and watch 2013. Dak had those same issues - especially in games where we switched from TR to Dak. The receivers couldn't catch his passes and his timing was off constantly. It wasn't until he got to spend the summer of '14 as "the guy" that he gelled with the receivers. That's why I blame a lot of these issues on Dan not naming a starter after spring. The receivers split their time working out between 4 QBs - creating clicques and not coming together. From what I have seen so far, I would lay money that Ross worked with Dam Williams and Gray worked with Fitz. Almost Every throw to Gray is money. You can't learn that timing on the fly.

Good points

Commercecomet24
10-16-2016, 05:18 PM

You are correct, sir! I remember people talking about Dak staring down his primary, poor footwork and only throwing at one speed. It's common with young qbs. Fitz has work to do just like most sophomore qbs In sec.

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2016, 05:44 PM
You are correct, sir! I remember people talking about Dak staring down his primary, poor footwork and only throwing at one speed. It's common with young qbs. Fitz has work to do just like most sophomore qbs In sec.
The Bama frosh is starting to have similar problems too. Kiffen did a great job masking his limitations early on, but his passing stats are regressing. 143 yards yesterday with an INt and no TDs is not good. Difference is they aren't having to rely on his arm like we are with Fitz.

WSOPdawg
10-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Dak's coming-out party in 2013 was against Rice in the Liberty Bowl. We were all excited as we entered spring 2014 as we were highly optimistic that Dak would be able to replicate that once the regular season began. He did not disappoint as 2014 was magical.

And then last year, Dak as a senior had arguably the best season in MSU history for a QB.

So now, here we are in Fitz's sophomore season. Will he find a "Rice" game to quiet the naysayers (he's got 6 more games to do it)? I hope so, but I'd hate to start/play his junior season next year still wondering if he's ever going to develop into a star QB or if we are just wasting a couple of years.

dawgoneyall
10-16-2016, 05:46 PM

Fitz is a better QB at this point than Dak was as a soph RS.
Short memories. I remember being afraid he couldn't hit the ground at times.

RiverCityDawg
10-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Fitz is a better QB at this point than Dak was as a soph RS.
Short memories. I remember being afraid he couldn't hit the ground at times.

It's close, maybe, but by the end of 2013 Dak was much better than anything we've seen so far from Fitz. Let's see if Fitz improves that much the second half of the year.

Commercecomet24
10-16-2016, 05:57 PM
The Bama frosh is starting to have similar problems too. Kiffen did a great job masking his limitations early on, but his passing stats are regressing. 143 yards yesterday with an INt and no TDs is not good. Difference is they aren't having to rely on his arm like we are with Fitz.

Yeah they posted a stat yesterday that 80% of hurts completions were 10 yards or less. Kiffin has been masking it and luckily they don't have to depend on his arm to win.

Taog Redloh
10-16-2016, 06:05 PM

For real, man. It's like these guys don't remember 2013 at all.

Commercecomet24
10-16-2016, 06:10 PM

When things start going bad a little the easy thing to do is pile on. The memories are extremely short and some revisionist history goes on too.

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2016, 06:50 PM

I'll admit I deluded myself into believing that we wouldn't miss drop off too much - mainly due to schedule and the belief that our coaching knew how to adjust to life after Dak. I have recalibrated my expectations to look at where we might be building too. We look a helluva lot like 2013.

bluelightstar
10-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Is this team really like the 2013 team?

That 2013 team wasn't particularly good, but we dismantled Troy 62-7 and Alcorn 51-7. That Bowling Green team we barely beat at HC ended up being a 10-win team. We were 3-3 through six games, with losses to a 10-win OK State, eventual SEC Champ Auburn, and a 10-win LSU. That's a far cry from South Alabama, BYU, and a home no-show against Auburn.

War Machine Dawg
10-16-2016, 07:03 PM
I'll admit I deluded myself into believing that we wouldn't miss drop off too much - mainly due to schedule and the belief that our coaching knew how to adjust to life after Dak. I have recalibrated my expectations to look at where we might be building too. We look a helluva lot like 2013.

I think all of us expected this. We thought we'd see a return to the run heavy offense, maybe even the Chris Relf-fense/Relf Coast Offense to compensate for having a young QB. The running game is the best friend of a young QB. Instead, we're asking Fitz to sling it 30+ times every week. The staff was stubborn about adjusting.

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2016, 07:27 PM

That 2013 team wasn't particularly good, but we dismantled Troy 62-7 and Alcorn 51-7. That Bowling Green team we barely beat at HC ended up being a 10-win team. We were 3-3 through six games, with losses to a 10-win OK State, eventual SEC Champ Auburn, and a 10-win LSU. That's a far cry from South Alabama, BYU, and a home no-show against Auburn.

I think all of us expected this. We thought we'd see a return to the run heavy offense, maybe even the Chris Relf-fense/Relf Coast Offense to compensate for having a young QB. The running game is the best friend of a young QB. Instead, we're asking Fitz to sling it 30+ times every week. The staff was stubborn about adjusting.
I didn't mean to imply that our schedule or results were like 2013 - it's more about what the make up of our team is like. I think that lack of adjustment is the difference between 2013 and 2016. We simplified things with Dak and began to emphasize the run - especially when we had to start playing JRob. For whatever reason, Dan won't go back to that style. That is disappointing. It's like he is trying to prove that Dak wasn't a fluke by force feeding a kid who needs to be developed in the same manner Dak was.

DownwardDawg
10-16-2016, 07:34 PM
In 2013, I had fans of other SEC teams telling me "man, that Dak dude looks like he may be pretty dang good". I don't have that being said about Fitz. They are asking me, "Is that y'all's best QB"?

I work in an environment where I'm surrounded by football fans most of the time. And most of them are LSU and Bama fans.

Maroonthirteen
10-16-2016, 09:34 PM
First, it is very very difficult to judge Fitz with that OL. He hasn't got time to go through progressions most plays. He did miss some throws vs BYU that he should have made. But I saw Aaron Rodgers miss passes today. It happens.

As for Dak, I just remember when he entered the 2013 Egg Bowl, we would win. I remember him being very good right away. However in Fitz defense, there isn't one QB in the SEC right now as good as Dak was.

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2016, 09:56 PM
First, it is very very difficult to judge Fitz with that OL. He hasn't got time to go through progressions most plays. He did miss some throws vs BYU that he should have made. But I saw Aaron Rodgers miss passes today. It happens.

As for Dak, I just remember when he entered the 2013 Egg Bowl, we would win. I remember him being very good right away. However in Fitz defense, there isn't one QB in the SEC right now as good as Dak was.

That's the thing - memories are clouded by Dak's running, his heroics in 2013, and his success in 2014 and 2015. Go look at his passing stats - outside of Alcorn, Troy, and Ky, it wasn't pretty. And it isn't much different than the stats Fitz is putting up.

Really Clark?
10-16-2016, 10:02 PM

Dak ran well (143 yards 2 TD, one run for 75 yards) but was not great passing against Bowling Green. 7-11 for 75 yards and 1 INT. Tyler was 12-14 for 102 yards. 2-10 Kentucky came back and had a chance at the end when Dak took a sack and Kentucky took over at their 42 with 2 min left. Drove down to our 29 before we finally stopped on 4th down. LSU ended up blowing us out 59-26.