PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Multiple Wives Edition

lamont
10-16-2016, 10:57 AM
I didnt watch the game because I was at work- and upon finding out the outcome, decided I didnt need that aggravation. All I needed to do was look at the boxscore to see the same continuous problems. 3.3 yards per carry and less than 50% completion rate. We simply dont have the talent on the OL and at WR necessary to win games. Especially with an inexperienced QB. Those things arent going to change for awhile. It's bad we dont have enough talent and speed to expose a team like BYU.

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again today. I dont think we should fire MUllen after this season. He's earned enough cred with what he has accomplished. But 2017 has got to be alot better. Simple as that. I no longer support him, and should he leave- its all good. I think that is best for both parties. Hopefully the rumor about him already having a verbal with another school is legit. You know Sexton is doing work.

With that said- anytime a school decides to make a change at HC, there is more to look at than just wins/losses. There is no difference in Mullen going 5-7 or 3-9 as far as deciding to fire him. He's already lost to South Alabama- it doesnt get worse than that. So what all do you look at?

Team record
Discipline in the program on and off the field
Is the HC committed to the School and Program?
Overall Team talent
Recruiting- Are we recruiting at the level we should? Is the staff known as relentless recruiters?
What is the staff known for? Whats their reputation?
Fan Support
Game Attendance
What other coaches out there are available

When you look through all those objectively- then you decide where you are and if a change is needed. I'll let each of you do that on your own and decide for yourself.

DogsofAnarchy
10-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Rndom its also "talent evaluation." We have not recruited well in the OL or at WR but we have talent at a lot of positions. If Dan Mullen is going to stay then he should be made to fire John Hevesy and Knox and Sallach. We get nothing from those coaches. If Dan isn't willing to make changes then he has NOT earned the right to have a free year at the expense of us. He has earned a hell of a lot of money at MSU and we have accepted a couple of 6-6 seasons that really could have been 7-5 or 8-4 if it weren't for terrible game planning.

I contend that MSU is recruiting itself well enough to go 6-6 or 7-5 every year. Anything less is stubbornness and lack of imagination in game planing. The John Hevesy loyalty is exactly like Croom with McCorvey.

I didnt watch the game because I was at work- and upon finding out the outcome, decided I didnt need that aggravation. All I needed to do was look at the boxscore to see the same continuous problems. 3.3 yards per carry and less than 50% completion rate. We simply dont have the talent on the OL and at WR necessary to win games. Especially with an inexperienced QB. Those things arent going to change for awhile. It's bad we dont have enough talent and speed to expose a team like BYU.

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again today. I dont think we should fire MUllen after this season. He's earned enough cred with what he has accomplished. But 2017 has got to be alot better. Simple as that. I no longer support him, and should he leave- its all good. I think that is best for both parties. Hopefully the rumor about him already having a verbal with another school is legit. You know Sexton is doing work.

With that said- anytime a school decides to make a change at HC, there is more to look at than just wins/losses. There is no difference in Mullen going 5-7 or 3-9 as far as deciding to fire him. He's already lost to South Alabama- it doesnt get worse than that. So what all do you look at?

Team record
Overall Team talent
Recruiting- Are we recruiting at the level we should? Is the staff known as relentless recruiters?
Fan Support
Game Attendance

When you look through all those objectively- then you decide where you are and if a change is needed. I'll let each of you do that on your own and decide for yourself.

shannondawg
10-16-2016, 11:14 AM
If he wishes to move on I wish him well.

DogsofAnarchy
10-16-2016, 11:23 AM
He has wished to move on for some time and I am for it. God Bless him, I'm thankful for what he has done but I am for the Bulldogs not his friends or his turning us into a finesse team. Not in the SEC.

If he wishes to move on I wish him well.

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 11:24 AM
In card games you look for signs, it might be the eyes, it might be body language, these signs are called Tells.
Hiring Sexton is a Tell.

lamont
10-16-2016, 11:26 AM
I dont equate Hevesy to McCorvey

McCorvey was doing exactly as he was told to do. Croom told everyone he would "retire before switching to a Spread offense". Croom wanted a conservative, physical offense. He just couldnt get the talent to do it.

Hevesy just rubs some people the wrong way and cant close as a recruiter. He's not doing his job well enough.

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 12:03 PM
I thought the effort was a lot better. I thought we looked better on defense without Coman and we certainly ran the ball better without Holloway. They said that Leo Lewis was our best team leader and he's a freshman. That says a lot right there.

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 12:04 PM
In card games you look for signs, it might be the eyes, it might be body language, these signs are called Tells.
Hiring Sexton is a Tell.

Save us Jimmy Sexton.

BayouDawg
10-16-2016, 12:10 PM
The effort was better. We just look like a team that is lost. We don't know what we wanna accomplish offensively or defensively. It looks like the blind leading the blind out there.

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 12:20 PM
The effort was better. We just look like a team that is lost. We don't know what we wanna accomplish offensively or defensively. It looks like the blind leading the blind out there.

We don't have any leaders on the field. Or our leaders on the field aren't very good one of the two.

GTHOM
10-16-2016, 12:24 PM
This team has a lot more problems than just talent. There is absolutely no leadership, there is significant internal problems on this team. Theres enough talent to beat USA and BYU but not enough to even think of contending for the west. We should be 4-2 but we are 2-4 thanks to our coaching and immaturity on this team. Dan will not be here next year. One way or another. We probably wont beat Kentucky

Dawgface
10-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Hopefully the rumor about him already having a verbal with another school is legit.

That would be best for all concerned. Hopefully true.

BoomBoom
10-16-2016, 12:32 PM

Team record
Overall Team talent
Fan Support
Game Attendance

Maybe this is the analogy that will finally get the lesson across:

A coach that does not properly assess, change, and improve will be as successful in the SEC as a scat back run up the middle.

Mullen has shown that he lacks the key coaching ability to ADAPT. He's a lost cause as a HC. It is in MSU's best interests to move on.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 12:34 PM
My biggest question here is: how good is Keytaon Thompson?

The biggest part of this rebuild is to get another top shelf QB in the program. If Keytaon is that guy, then it makes rebuilding infinitely easier. I'm of the opinion that the coach is always more important than recruits, but, in this case, if Keytaon is the real, keeping Mullen for one for year absolutely makes the rebuild job easier for either Mullen or the next coach.

lamont
10-16-2016, 12:37 PM

The biggest part of this rebuild is to get another top shelf QB in the program. If Keytaon is that guy, then it makes rebuilding infinitely easier. I'm of the opinion that the coach is always more important than recruits, but, in this case, if Keytaon is the real, keeping Mullen for one for year absolutely makes the rebuild job easier for either Mullen or the next coach.

If he really does have a verbal- its not going to matter

DogsofAnarchy
10-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Definitely understand where you are coming from but our rebuild centers on OL's and WR's. That is a fact. We have to have 3 good Junior College OL's or we will struggle. We need 2 JC WR's also.

BayouDawg
10-16-2016, 12:40 PM
We don't have any leaders on the field. Or our leaders on the field aren't very good one of the two.

It's amazing how much ground you can lose in the SEC West by relaxing even just the slightest bit.

Coursesuper
10-16-2016, 12:45 PM
If he really does have a verbal- its not going to matter

With this development, that means he will be moving on quickly after the egg bowl. Question I have are we moving proactively and making the necessary contacts of our own? I know How the basketball hire went down I hope we are moving in the same direction for this one. We need a new guy on hand quickly.

mparkerfd20
10-16-2016, 12:47 PM

I hate to tell y'all, but if Mullen won't be here Neither will Keytaon.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Definitely understand where you are coming from but our rebuild centers on OL's and WR's. That is a fact. We have to have 3 good Junior College OL's or we will struggle. We need 2 JC WR's also.

OL & WRs are certainly the biggest part of it, but Fitz isn't good enough to lead us where we want to go. Every non-traditional power that has made the leap to national prominence has had elite, NFL caliber QB play.

Stanford - Luck
Louisville - Bridgewater & Jackson
Mississippi State - Dak Prescott
Oregon - Harrington, Dixon, Marriota
Arizona State - Plummer
Arkansas - Mallet
Auburn - Cam Newton
NC State - Rivers
Michigan State - Cooke
Memphis - Lynch
Kentucky - Tim Couch
West Virginia - Pat White
Virginia Tech - Vick
Syracuse - McNabb

Point is, if we think Keytaon Thompson has this type of ability, then you've got to get him on campus at all cost & then worry about the rest later

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 12:49 PM

The good news is LSU has two QB's already committed. We'll let it play out.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 12:49 PM

Agree, that's the reason I'm for Mullen staying at least one more year. Sets the program up better for future success, even if we fire him after next year.

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 12:51 PM
With this development, that means he will be moving on quickly after the egg bowl. Question I have are we moving proactively and making the necessary contacts of our own? I know How the basketball hire went down I hope we are moving in the same direction for this one. We need a new guy on hand quickly.

Sexton might help is in that regard as well.

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 12:52 PM
It's amazing how much ground you can lose in the SEC West by relaxing even just the slightest bit.

Ya gotta have OL!

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Ya gotta have OL!

Gotta have a QB first & then OL. We currently have neither

gtowndawg
10-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Agree, that's the reason I'm for Mullen staying at least one more year. Sets the program up better for future success, even if we fire him after next year.

If Mullen is the root cause problem, I would much prefer to remove that issue and get the program back on track. One player doesn't help if we don't have any help around him. Just my opinion.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 01:25 PM
If Mullen is the root cause problem, I would much prefer to remove that issue and get the program back on track. One player doesn't help if we don't have any help around him. Just my opinion.

You opinion is solid & certainly correct 99% of the time. It all comes down to how good Keytaon is. Getting a top shelf QB on campus is getting the program back on track even if another coach is the one to reap the benefits.

Let me ask you this, if Alabama told us they'd give MSU Jalen Hurts if Mullen stayed one more year, would you do it?

lamont
10-16-2016, 01:29 PM
We need OL guys first. Then your QB doesnt have to be awesome- just functional. Auburn and UPig prove this constantly. UPig scored 30 on Bama. Its takes us 3-4 games to score that many on them

FISHDAWG
10-16-2016, 01:32 PM

what about Kylin ?

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 01:35 PM
We need OL guys first. Then your QB doesnt have to be awesome- just functional. Auburn and UPig prove this constantly. UPig scored 30 on Bama. Its takes us 3-4 games to score that many on them

Ok, but there is no guarantee your going to get better OL. There is a guarantee you'll get Thompson so long as Mullen is still our coach January 10th. I'm taking the certain thing & then worrying about OL going forward.

Hiring a new coach doesn't necessarily mean better OL recruiting. What would be best for everyone is if Mullen would just recruit better OL

BayouDawg
10-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Ok, but there is no guarantee your going to get better OL. There is a guarantee you'll get Thompson so long as Mullen is still our coach January 10th. I'm taking the certain thing & then worrying about OL going forward.

Hiring a new coach doesn't necessarily mean better OL recruiting. What would be best for everyone is if Mullen would just recruit better OL

After we broke the record for most decommitments last year, I wouldn't say anything is a guarantee with this staff.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 01:38 PM
After we broke the record for most decommitments last year, I wouldn't say anything is a guarantee with this staff.

Well, at least Thompson is an early enrollee

lamont
10-16-2016, 01:39 PM

exactly

And it really doesnt matter. I put it at 25% chance Mullen is here in December

BayouDawg
10-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Well, at least Thompson is an early enrollee

That does help.

Coursesuper
10-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Gotta have a QB first & then OL. We currently have neither

You have that assbackwards there bro.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 01:42 PM
You have that assbackwards there bro.

Really, explain?

Pretty sure we won 19 games in 2 years with a shitastic offensive line

We can certainly & must recruit better on the OL, but we just aren't going to start beating out LSU & Bama on OL prospects. However, with Mullen we can beat them on QB prospects.

If you guys want to fire Mullen just to build a better OL, this program may never recover. If Thompson is the real deal, then get him on campus & then work from there.

anubus
10-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Mullen deserves a chance to turn it around if he wants it.Changing the HC means starting over.I hope if he stays he gets a OL coach who knows recruiting and teaching technique is part of the job

BayouDawg
10-16-2016, 01:44 PM
exactly

And it really doesnt matter. I put it at 25% chance Mullen is here in December

What conference do you think Mullen goes to? PAC 12? ACC?

Coursesuper
10-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Really, explain?

Pretty sure we won 19 games in 2 years with a shitastic offensive line

A QB can't read a defense find the proper read set his feet and make a throw from his back. Two years ago the line was serviceable, if it was above average we win it all. Last year we had the best player in program history leading us, but every time we played a good front seven even he was on the ground. Can't make plays from the turf.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 02:01 PM
A QB can't read a defense find the proper read set his feet and make a throw from his back. Two years ago the line was serviceable, if it was above average we win it all. Last year we had the best player in program history leading us, but every time we played a good front seven even he was on the ground. Can't make plays from the turf.

We won 19 games in two years with an average to pathetic offensive line.

Give us an above average offensive line & no Dak, & we probably stink. Both are extremely important & I don't want to sacrifice the importance of the OL to make QB seem more important, but you've got the #9 dual threat QB in the country committed, ready to come, & all you have to do is keep the best coach in your history for one more year.

I don't see the debate here when all the other side has is hoping a new coach can somehow start beating out LSU, Bama, & Auburn for OL or hoping to out evaluate those programs.

Fire Mullen & your likely stuck with Fitz starting for the next years & marginally better OL play. Keep Mullen, & you'll have the hope of Keytaon Thompson along with likely marginally better offensive line play.

I actually really agree with Random's opinion. I no longer support Mullen as the coach, but I wouldn't fire him. I'm giving Mullen that opportunity & then firing if things don't improve next year.

I challenge some of you to remove your emotions & think rationally about this

gtowndawg
10-16-2016, 02:07 PM

I'd think that's my concern. We gamble and keep Mullen and then lose out on Thompson. As the saying goes, "a good plan today is better than the perfect plan tomorrow." Mullen moving on is a good plan and I'll take that right now over a POSSIBLE perfect plan of signing Thompson and then getting rid of Mullen next year.

BayouDawg
10-16-2016, 02:12 PM
We won 19 games in two years with an average to pathetic offensive line.

Give us an above average offensive line & no Dak, & we probably stink. Both are extremely important & I don't want to sacrifice the importance of the OL to make QB seem more important, but you've got the #9 dual threat QB in the country committed, ready to come, & all you have to do is keep the best coach in your history for one more year.

I don't see the debate here when all the other side has is hoping a new coach can somehow start beating out LSU, Bama, & Auburn for OL or hoping to out evaluate those programs.

Fire Mullen & your likely stuck with Fitz starting for the next years & marginally better OL play. Keep Mullen, & you'll have the hope of Keytaon Thompson along with likely marginally better offensive line play.

I actually really agree with Random's opinion. I no longer support Mullen as the coach, but I wouldn't fire him. I'm giving Mullen that opportunity & then firing if things don't improve next year.

I challenge some of you to remove your emotions & think rationally about this

Hes not getting fired but he is likely moving on. So is it possible for the next guy to keep him on board?

gtowndawg
10-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Hes not getting fired but he is likely moving on. So is it possible for the next guy to keep him on board?

Hard question to answer since it depends on who it is. But I agree, I have Zero doubt that Mullen moves on at the end of the year.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Interesting how everyone just believes it's likely that Mullen walks away from a $4 mil pay day. Not saying it will happen or not, but to call it "likely" seems a little premature IMO. Especially from those with absolutely zero inside information

BayouDawg
10-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Interesting how everyone just believes it's likely that Mullen walks away from a $4 mil pay day. Not saying it will happen or not, but to call it "likely" seems a little premature IMO. Especially from those with absolutely zero inside information

We'll just have to see how it plays out. What I'm saying is if he does leave it won't be because we fire him. This year anyway.

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 02:26 PM

I'm sure something would be negotiated plus I'm sure he will make at least 1-2 million wherever he goes.

msstate7
10-16-2016, 02:31 PM

If Mullen's #1 goal was to get out of town, I think we would've seen more dam Williams vs byu. Byu couldn't cover our wr's, but fitz really struggled with reads and accuracy... Williams likely picks byu apart. Mullen just keeps plugging away with fitz though bc I truly believe dan thinks fitz can be special... Mullen is playing fitz for next year. That tells me dan is expecting to be here next year

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 03:12 PM
If Mullen's #1 goal was to get out of town, I think we would've seen more dam Williams vs byu. Byu couldn't cover our wr's, but fitz really struggled with reads and accuracy... Williams likely picks byu apart. Mullen just keeps plugging away with fitz though bc I truly believe dan thinks fitz can be special... Mullen is playing fitz for next year. That tells me dan is expecting to be here next year

Or he wants us to do well so that he can get the best job possible.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-16-2016, 03:40 PM
So, if he already has a verbal agreement, where is it to? The only current opening is LSU. If not there, who are you predicting has already decided to get rid of their coach?

preachermatt83
10-16-2016, 03:53 PM
I don't know if he will be fired or if he will take another job but I'm convinced Mullen WILL NOT be here next year. The consensus around the program is that it's pretty much already known that he won't be back. I don't think we will fire him but I think we will make it easy for him to get out. Rumor is we are going to allow his buy out to be negotiated way down.

Dawgfan77
10-16-2016, 04:13 PM
So, if he already has a verbal agreement, where is it to? The only current opening is LSU. If not there, who are you predicting has already decided to get rid of their coach?

I could see Houston being a landing spot

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-16-2016, 04:20 PM
I could see Houston being a landing spot

That would speak volumes on him personally. I thought he wanted to win a national championship?

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 04:23 PM

Baylor has an interim coach right now. NOT saying that is where he is going just that there are other job openings out there. And yes FIU also has a job opening also but Dan isn't going there of course. There will be job openings though rest assured and I'm sure there are things around the country going on behind the scenes that we don't know about most of which don't involve us at all.

Dawgfan77
10-16-2016, 04:29 PM
That would speak volumes on him personally. I thought he wanted to win a national championship?
Houston is going to end up in the big 12 and they have $$$$$. Also Purdue just came open

msstate7
10-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Houston is going to end up in the big 12 and they have $$$$$. Also Purdue just came open

I thought it was trending to no new additions to big12

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-16-2016, 04:38 PM
Baylor has an interim coach right now. NOT saying that is where he is going just that there are other job openings out there. And yes FIU also has a job opening also but Dan isn't going there of course. There will be job openings though rest assured and I'm sure there are things around the country going on behind the scenes that we don't know about most of which don't involve us at all.

Not sure Baylor would hire a scientologist.* Having said that, I forgot all about them and I could see him going there. You may be on to something. And with our luck, Kaeton Thompson will follow and win the Heisman and be forever have his name linked with Smith, Tebow and Prescott under the Mullen tree of QB'S.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 04:48 PM
I don't know if he will be fired or if he will take another job but I'm convinced Mullen WILL NOT be here next year. The consensus around the program is that it's pretty much already known that he won't be back. I don't think we will fire him but I think we will make it easy for him to get out. Rumor is we are going to allow his buy out to be negotiated way down.

Consensus from who?

Gutter Cobreh
10-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Texas and Notre Dame will be open. Not sure he is a fit for either, but I'd speculate the Irish over the Longhorns.

I could see both programs wheeling and dealing behind the scenes now to secure their replacement.

This is pure speculation on my part. Just throwing it out there as a way to support the "verbal" portion of this rumor.

basedog
10-16-2016, 05:14 PM
You know, Baylor needs a Coach who runs a displine clean program. I could see him and Baylor showing some interest in each other. Who knows.

I could see Houston also.

Sacrifice
10-16-2016, 05:47 PM
I don't have any inside info but I can see Mullen leaving at the end of this season. He still has a decent national reputation with the media.
He knows 2 bad seasons in a row could take a toll. He'll probably take a lesser job in an easier conference and start over. He needs something fresh and so do we

Turfdawg67
10-16-2016, 11:13 PM
I don't have any inside info but I can see Mullen leaving at the end of this season. He still has a decent national reputation with the media.
He knows 2 bad seasons in a row could take a toll. He'll probably take a lesser job in an easier conference and start over. He needs something fresh and so do we

I agree. I know we get tired of our fans thinking that we are "poor ole miss state", but that is how the national media thinks of us. And to them Dan Mullen has done a miraculous job here.

Gutter Cobreh
10-17-2016, 07:42 AM
I agree. I know we get tired of our fans thinking that we are "poor ole miss state", but that is how the national media thinks of us. And to them Dan Mullen has done a miraculous job here.

Yet if Mullen leaves to a lesser school, doesn't it reinforce that perception?

For this to be a win/win, he needs to go to a school that is perceived as a step up for him. If it is someplace like Purdue, then we look like fools.

I hope the situation works out for both, but that is going to be really hard unless we have a verbal commitment as well behind the scenes to offset the narrative.

lamont
10-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Yet if Mullen leaves to a lesser school, doesn't it reinforce that perception?

For this to be a win/win, he needs to go to a school that is perceived as a step up for him. If it is someplace like Purdue, then we look like fools.

I hope the situation works out for both, but that is going to be really hard unless we have a verbal commitment as well behind the scenes to offset the narrative.

He is not going to a "step-up"

Dawgface
10-17-2016, 07:50 AM
I don't care if he goes to Scooba Tech. If he wants out....just go.

fishwater99
10-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Hopefully the rumor about him already having a verbal with another school is legit.

That would be best for all concerned. Hopefully true.

If that is true he needs to quit now. Dan won't recruit if he already has another job and it will hurt us even more by him staying around.

Gutter Cobreh
10-17-2016, 09:46 AM
He is not going to a "step-up"

Thanks. While he deserves all the criticism that comes his way, do you not agree that both the way he leaves and where he goes will have an impact on the program?

This isn't to say he should stay or go, but I haven't read on the board any forethought about how this plays in the public. Everyone here is "in the moment" regarding his status and if we have proven anything, it is that we don't always handle public relations well.

The only caveat that may help would be to have someone ready to put into place that is perceived as a step up from him. Thoughts on how the program can balance him leaving for a lesser program without damaging the perception?

Todd4State
10-17-2016, 09:49 AM
Thanks. While he deserves all the criticism that comes his way, do you not agree that both the way he leaves and where he goes will have an impact on the program?

This isn't to say he should stay or go, but I haven't read on the board any forethought about how this plays in the public. Everyone here is "in the moment" regarding his status and if we have proven anything, it is that we don't always handle public relations well.

The only caveat that may help would be to have someone ready to put into place that is perceived as a step up from him. Thoughts on how the program can balance him leaving for a lesser program without damaging the perception?

I say we play the "burned out" card with Dan. That won't hurt our perception I don't think.

Regardless we need to find an up and comer anyway who wants to make a name for themselves in the SEC.

Gutter Cobreh
10-17-2016, 10:00 AM
I say we play the "burned out" card with Dan. That won't hurt our perception I don't think.

Regardless we need to find an up and comer anyway who wants to make a name for themselves in the SEC.

Can't play the "burned out" card when all you hear is that we're in a rebuilding year. I heard it multiple times from the commentators in the BYU game. I realize that is a nice way to say we suck, but regardless it doesn't correlate to "Dan's burned out".

Any up and comer isn't who you use to replace what Mullen has done so far, it is who you hire when you've fired someone like Croom.

If Mullen leaves, we need an established head coach that has had recent success. I don't see any other way around it or we come out looking like fools.

Again, I'm good if Mullen leaves. I'm just bringing this up now to prevent the "whoa is me" crowd on here ready to pounce about our history.